Right, that's it: I'm done with this piece of crap

Search This thread

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
...Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.
Software issues I consider somewhat silly since they'll most likely be fixed in the future (although to be fair, Google shouldn't even allow RMA on software issues that "can" be fixed over time). Hardware issues in the other hand vary between devices.

I don't consider $400+ "pocket change" and I'd want the best device I could get for my money. a creaky back and noticeable light bleed are things I would not even want to be bothered with on such a priced device, and if I really want the device, i'd try multiple times to get a decent one.

My first Nexus 10 has no dead pixels, no creaky back, and very minimal light bleed. This device is fine for me, but ideally I wouldn't even want the light bleed. I'm not going to RMA over it now, but I didn't do it in the past either at the risk of getting a worse tablet (it's real bad that this is even a concern sadly). Samsung's RMA might be a better option since they actually repair the device (not sure how good of a job they do) but it can take weeks, and Samsung doesn't even seem to know their tablet exists most of the time.

If Google and Samsung don't want to deal with a lot of RMA's, then they should make their quality check process better.

mermoid

Feb 7, 2013
I genuinely can't believe that people see the need to RMA their N10 (or any device) due to the smallest things that they've found by specifically looking for them. Yes my N10 has light bleed and yes it did have problems with rebooting (before 4.2.2) but it doesn't bother me.

I would never use an LCD screen on full brightness in a dark room so will never notice the small amounts of light bleed it has. The reboots are a software issue that can be fixed by an update and are so infrequent that they are almost insignificant anyway. And a 'creaky back' definitely doesn't warrant getting the thing replaced; it's plastic so is bound to creak when you purposely flex it which you're not supposed to do.

Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.

I'm not shocked at all - you are one of the lucky ones who's received a decent device first time but for those of us like boominski or myself (or many others, as the 1,100+ post light bleed thread will attest) the devices we receive are undeniably defective. Before I got this tablet I wasn't even aware light bleed was something I had to worry about, so I most certainly wasn't "looking for" it. In fact, my reaction was more like "WTF are these yellow patches in the corners of my screen???!?!?!"

On my Nexus 10 #1 I have highly noticeable light bleed in the two bottom corners, and it is fully visible on the nav-bar at 0% brightness in a well-lit room. I use my tablet for watching TV/film which needs to have a decent brightness level to display the colours properly (I use probably about 50-60% for this) and at that level the huge yellow blobs in the corners are unbearably distracting and actually impede onto the video. And that's not even using it in the dark! #1's screen is also really dim along the edge below the camera which is very annoying when I hold it in portrait, it has a dead pixel in the middle of the screen and the wifi stops working regularly (I have to turn wifi off and on probably every 15-20 minutes or so to get it working again). Wouldn't any reasonable person say those are all fully justifiable grounds for an RMA? Because I did, which resulted in me receiving tablet #2, which has significantly worse light bleed emanating from all 4 corners, so much so that the screen is actually tinted yellow and basically can't display the colour black. The app drawer looks like a murky yellowish dark grey. No idea if it has wifi issues because I only used it for 5 minutes before boxing it up and requesting a refund for both. I don't have the brand loyalty or the will to go through 5 RMAs like a lot of others, but I think it's complete nonsense to allege that people are only doing it because they're 'perfectionists' or whatever.

chiccitstix

Nov 15, 2012
Why would you send it back due to reboots or wi-if issues?

You'll never be satisfied if you had issues with what was poorly debugged software. Just read around these forums: QA is filled with people experiencing software issues with 4.2.1. All Nexus 10s come with the same OS.

mchahn

Mar 14, 2008
If every device has the same problem, then that is a design issue and not a defect. The problems discussed, especially the light bleed, are clearly design problems. You can RMA the unit a hundred times and you probably won't be happy.

As I said before everyone has different needs. It's a shame the design is somewhat shoddy because it's a dream device otherwise. My guess is that Samsung was told to make it cheap, which they succeeded in doing. I paid $100 less than I would have for an iPad.

I've read that iProducts are tooled to a precision that is higher than a micrometer can read. They have to use lasers for QA. Apple always cared more about appearance than anything else. I personally have the opposite needs. I want great software and a high resolution screen and everything else is gravy.

(I also have a dislike for Apple the company, but that is neither here nor there and not related to this thread).

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
OnePlus 6

You'll never be satisfied if you had issues with what was poorly debugged software. Just read around these forums: QA is filled with people experiencing software issues with 4.2.1. All Nexus 10s come with the same OS.

My N10 has had very few reboots, and no WiFi issues. Either I'm lucky, or there is a legitimate hardware issue affecting others.

Alarmmy

Apr 6, 2012
I dont how to say about your situation. You should know that life is not perfect by any mean. Instead of moaning, yelling, and complaining, why dont you learn to enjoy life? Your tablets have problems, and you have mental illness. That's what i learn from your story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Which part of my post do you think is an exaggeration? The part where I said that I wasn't looking for perfection, could live with light bleed, wifi drop-outs and reboots, but drew the line at wanting a 'reasonably' even screen in terms of temperature and light distribution was a clue as to what I consider my 'goalposts' to be. My iPad isn't perfect: the screen is not 100% uniform and it has minor light bleed. My Nexus 7 isn't perfect: it has some light bleed, wifi drop-outs and the screen flicker issue. My Android phone isn't perfect: the screen is not 100% even. But are they acceptable? Yes. Because. even though consumer devices are not perfect, they are of a 'reasonable' quality.

That = 'goalposts'.

Why is that too hard for some people to understand?

Wow, "the screen is not 100% even". Let me tell you something: your eyes are not even, you have one arm bigger than another, you teeth also are not even. Should I blame your parents for creating such a crap product?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Andrewtst

Chluz

Feb 9, 2008
No one paid for him though ;) well I hope no one paid for him :) in any case you buy a product, if you don't like it bring it back, and feel free to say what you thought about it.
Simple as that, no need for forum wars

Reactions: espionage724

mermoid

Feb 7, 2013
Or their access point is weak or poorly positioned. I had to put two routers in my tiny house. The N10 is no worse for me than my other devices.

I primarily use my N10 in my living room, which is the same room my wireless router is in. The router is no more than about 8 feet from my chair and the N10 wifi stops working constantly (it doesn't actually disconnect - the icon in the top right still displays as if it's connected but the internet or any other networking functions don't work). In contrast, I have no problems with my desktop computer which is on the other side of the house, or my laptop, or my smartphone. I also have a backup router so I tried that, same thing. Took it to two different friends' houses to try their wifi, same thing. Tried it at my parents' house, same thing.

So yeah I should totally just put up with that on my £319 tablet, must just be a software glitch even though we're both running the exact same software and yours works properly while mine doesn't...

mchahn

Mar 14, 2008
I primarily use my N10 in my living room, which is the same room my wireless router is in. The router is no more than about 8 feet from my chair and the N10 wifi stops working constantly (it doesn't actually disconnect - the icon in the top right still displays as if it's connected but the internet or any other networking functions don't work). In contrast, I have no problems with my desktop computer which is on the other side of the house, or my laptop, or my smartphone. I also have a backup router so I tried that, same thing. Took it to two different friends' houses to try their wifi, same thing. Tried it at my parents' house, same thing.

So yeah I should totally just put up with that on my £319 tablet, must just be a software glitch even though we're both running the exact same software and yours works properly while mine doesn't...

I assume you are running stock software, otherwise you can't blame google.

boominski

Aug 20, 2012

I wouldn't. Have you actually read what I have written?

I dont how to say about your situation. You should know that life is not perfect by any mean. Instead of moaning, yelling, and complaining, why dont you learn to enjoy life? Your tablets have problems, and you have mental illness. That's what i learn from your story.

Do you want to buy a tablet? I have one you'd really like...

Reactions: atg284

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
I'm just a bit confused as to the sides people are taking in this thread; do people really accept defective products without question? Nowhere on the Nexus 10 product page does it say it may/does come with light bleed, creaking backs, dead pixels, software issues, nor any other issue people have with the N10.

It is up to the consumer whether or not they want to live with hardware defects on their product but this level of tolerance varies between person to person. Unless you actually paid for somebody else's device, you can't really question their level of tolerance. To me, $400-$500 is no joking matter, so I would of course want the best device as-advertised.

My mom got some cheap tablet a while back that worked just fine for her, however when I held it, I immediately noticed the LCD rippled right in the middle of the screen. Now, if the tablet was just accepted as-is, there's a high chance the LCD panel would of became damaged later down the road, a lot quicker than a tablet that didn't have such an issue. The way it sounds from most people here, they would deal with the screen regardless of the price, and accept a likely pre-mature hardware malfunction, and I can't see any logical reason why...

RMA is there for a reason. If you get a new piece of hardware and if it is defective (within your tolerance), you have every right to try for a new one from the retailer or manufacturer. As long as the RMA policy doesn't state some limit on how many requests you can do, I see absolutely nothing wrong with doing it as many times as possible, however, this is also highly dependent on your own patience and/or how much you want the device your trying to purchase and enjoy.

The RMA process for the N10 is pretty interesting. You either RMA with Google/Retail and get a new totally-different random luck of the draw tablet that may be worse than what you had, or RMA with Samsung, which is a journey on its own to even begin (it might be a bit better now, but Samsung CS Reps in the past didn't even know they made the Nexus 10... and would just "Google" information about it and then send you right over to Play Store support). And when you somehow manage to even start the RMA and get it approved, your waiting a few weeks or more to even get it back (although the time is probably standard for most RMAs)

Mass-production of products isn't really an excuse to leave such a varying level of defects in a product. All the devices cost the same (for the most part) after all. It hardly seems like Samsung is even trying in this regard. But as long as people aren't using the RMA process, why should they care? Less annoyance on their end means they may as well save some money later and lessen the QC on future devices, since it would appear barely anyone cares. Next thing you know, people will only be RMA'ing tablets that literally crumble to dust when you touch them...

Last edited:
Reactions: atg284

Poser

Mar 18, 2008
The Nether Regions of the Tropics
Trolling, fanboism and internet memes aside... this is a forum, and the expression of opinions and user experience is not only expected, but integral to the value of a community. The only thing truly lacking in this thread is tolerance.

Dude had a bad experience...and he should and can vent about it...specifically in the forum he used.

I for one have not had any of the aforementioned issues with my n10...but have purchased enough tech to experience the disappointment of failed expectations (I am talking to you Asus)

Dude's not a troll, just a guy who wanted more for his hard earned coin.

Sent from my SGH-T889

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011

Probably because when you call Google about reboots and what not they say "first time they've heard of it" and ask if you want another device. They don't say, "We know, give us a month for an update."

This thread is so weird. Why wouldn't you send it back for WiFi issues? It is a WiFi tablet. It is nearly useless without working WiFi?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

chiccitstix

Nov 15, 2012
Probably because when you call Google about reboots and what not they say "first time they've heard of it" and ask if you want another device. They don't say, "We know, give us a month for an update."

This thread is so weird. Why wouldn't you send it back for WiFi issues? It is a WiFi tablet. It is nearly useless without working WiFi?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I said that because if you are a user who frequents this forum, then you know that these are most likely not hardware issues. Google can send you 1000 different N10s, they are all going to ship with Android 4.2 and most of them will have these same software issues.

It's like constantly ordering a burger from the same cow and constantly sending it back because it has mad cow disease. You can send it back 100 times, it's going to have the same meat.

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
I said that because if you are a user who frequents this forum, then you know that these are most likely not hardware issues. Google can send you 1000 different N10s, they are all going to ship with Android 4.2 and most of them will have these same software issues.

It's like constantly ordering a burger from the same cow and constantly sending it back because it has mad cow disease. You can send it back 100 times, it's going to have the same meat.

It is also filled with others that say they have no issues.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

atg284

Nov 26, 2012
Something has got to be up with this thing because i always join a forum before I make a large purchase on cars, computers, phone, etc. I usually hag around on them until i'm comfortable with the product or I just don't have any more issues or concerns with it. Forums are the greatest for knowledge gathering for big ticket items. I consider the N10 somewhat of a big ticket item so here I am. What I can say is, this product has had more problems with it than I can remember with any other product I've dealt with. It is very rare for me to exchange or return something just due to odds and/or luck. But I went through 2 N10s and decided not go try a 3rd because of all the problems being reported. Problems with hardware, software, and customer support. That makes a bad combo.

The only reason why I am still contributing on this forum is because I still hold a glimmer of hope that Google/Samsung will fix the obvious problems. Sadly i think this is a fool's errand. It still feels like you have a 1 in 20 shot of getting one without any problems. The overall feeling I get is that this product was rushed, built cheaply, very low quality control, and as if Samsung just doesn't care. Like it's been said many times before, you should not put up with medium-major problems for $400-500 device. I just don't understand the people who come on here and just say "deal with it."

Last edited:

NIK516

Mar 4, 2010
If the random reboots don't get fixed with this update time going to get my money back, why should we not complain , I'm sure if impayed Google $10 less they would not ship lol

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

NickTheMajin

Mar 6, 2012
I agree. This tablet has been a very bad experience for me. I really thought it was time to switch from the iPad. It is all mostly software issues (Unless you have an issue with backlight bleeding or creaking chassis) but some of the software issues are crippling. I'm still holding out for an update but so far I've had this tablet since November and it still crashes, reboots and drops wifi quite frequently. Unless Google steps their game up really fast I'm getting a windows tablet (Not sure which yet, probably not surface) or an iPad 5/6/new iPad whatever Apple decides to call it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my two cents

When you got the second sample and were still unhappy then it was masochistic to keep trying. You should have given up and ended the pain way before getting to the fifth device. Clearly it is not designed to the quality you require and most, if not all, of the samples were probably typical of the quality of everyone else's.

Crap is in the eye of the beholder. Many others, including myself, are not sensitive to the defects you point out. I don't care about an occasional reboot (which only happened in the first day for me), the light bleed, case cracking sounds, etc. Different people have different needs.

You were asking the support people to make the product right for you, which is probably impossible given that particular design. How do you expect them to behave? They certainly aren't going to say the nexus 10 is **** and they also can't say that you are wrong. The nexus 10 is not **** for most people and you are not wrong for wanting a particular level of quality.

To make a long story short you should walk away and spend your energy finding something better instead of banging your head against a lost cause.
    You know, I can see your point, but I can't see how it merits a new thread here.

What do we gain from reading it? What do you gain from us having read it? (I can totally understand what you gained by writing it, but why not pin in on a wall, be it real or virtual?).
    He is sharing his bad experience. Anyone looking to buy a Nexus 10 should be aware of both the good side, and bad sides.
    First off: I am not anti-Google. I use all the main Google apps. I have had four Android phones, own 2 Nexus 7's and would take Android over iOS any day of the week.

But...

I am through with this piece of crap that passes for the Nexus 10.

Since buying this thing when it first came out I have had to put up with dodgy wifi connections, creaky flexing back panels, random freezes and reboots, and - worst of all - deal-breakingly poor quality control on the screens. I have been through several RMAs with Google Play (to the point where they are refusing to send me any more replacements - and at the moment they are not even replying to my emails) and am now on my 5th device. All of the devices have had unacceptable levels of light bleed, and - worse still - blotchy screens with uneven yellow or blue tints. I have been through nightmares with the Play store and TNT trying to get devices returned and shipped, and have a pile of email correspondence so long that it could be turned into a Peter Jackson trilogy. The Play store is staffed by some of the greatest morons that I have ever had the misfortune to have to deal with. I have constantly been given wrong or misleading information, and have had to harass and badger them at every stage to get anything done. I still have a device listed as 'pending' on my Google Wallet that has long since been returned, despite being told on numerous occasions that an 'expert' was going to remove it.

For anyone with a perfect device, or who is just happy with their's however it is: I am genuinely pleased for you. This could, and more importantly, should, have been an amazing piece of kit. But as it is, my time with the Nexus 10 has been, without any shadow of a doubt, the absolute worst customer experience I have had in my entire life, by a long country mile.

My blotchy, creaky, light bleedy slab of **** is going back. I'll be getting a full refund and returning to my long neglected iPad. Which actually works like it's supposed to.

YMMV
    Doesn't matter where you get it, All N10's have a large varying degree of defects it seems.

I'm not discounting the reports here about problems, but I have to disagree with that statement. I've had my N10 since early December and it's been excellent. A few odd freezes in Chrome early on, but when I switched to Chrome beta they almost completely disappeared. Since installing 4.2.2 I've had over 100 hours uptime without a single hiccup. I've been using stock Chrome (not beta) since the update, and it's been great. Also: no light bleed, no creaking, no screen lift, etc.

I also have a number of associates and friends with N10's and oddly enough their experiences have been essentially the same as mine. I really have to emphasize that I mean no disrespect to those here reporting issues, and I sympathize, but I'm finding it really odd that my own experience, and that of others I know personally, suggests that aside from some bugs in earlier versions of Android, the tablet is generally superb when a fair number of folks here are reporting pretty bad issues. It's hard to make sense of such a discrepancy between the complaints I read here and my own experience, that of my known associates, and the various reviews I've read online. Not sure what to make of this quite honestly, as those here reporting multiple bad devices would seem to suggest that most units are defective, which is totally at odds with my own experience and knowledge.

I'd love to know the real stats about this, as online problem forums tend to attract and focus problem reports, quite naturally, and may represent skewed stats. Having run online sites and communities in the past, I've also personally experienced the annoying phenomenon of online sock puppets as well.

I feel bad for those here with bad experiences, but I'm having trouble generalizing that to the product in general, when it would seem to me to be superb. Again, no disrespect to those with problems, I just have trouble imagining that this represents the product in general.

... beamed from my Nexus 10 to your planet
    I genuinely can't believe that people see the need to RMA their N10 (or any device) due to the smallest things that they've found by specifically looking for them. Yes my N10 has light bleed and yes it did have problems with rebooting (before 4.2.2) but it doesn't bother me.

I would never use an LCD screen on full brightness in a dark room so will never notice the small amounts of light bleed it has. The reboots are a software issue that can be fixed by an update and are so infrequent that they are almost insignificant anyway. And a 'creaky back' definitely doesn't warrant getting the thing replaced; it's plastic so is bound to creak when you purposely flex it which you're not supposed to do.

Is anyone else shocked by the sheer number of people that will happily request multiple replacements because of the stupidest things and then wonder why the price increases or the customer service seems rushed? They've somehow got pay for all the testing, repackaging, restocking and reselling of these apparently 'defective' devices.