Nexus 5 Tethering on windows xp pro help.......

Search This thread

cjegan2008

May 31, 2008
Tucson, AZ
So i have a google nexus 5, and when i try to tether using my phones wifi signal on my pc, it says it doesnt connect. When i tried this with windows xp using usb tethering, it wont allow me to tether saying that RUNDIS is not installed.........heres the things i did do
1. uninstalled and disconnected device....no go
2. installed lg unified driver...no go.......
3. downloaded the tetherxp.inf file from google....no go
4. downloaded the hotfix for xp- heres the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959765...no go
5 tried using usb debugging......it wouldnt even install MTP drivers

I am using a dell Inspiron 700m laptop using windows xp pro sp3.....please help........

So i have a google nexus 5, and when i try to tether using my phones wifi signal on my pc, it says it doesnt connect. When i tried this with windows xp using usb tethering, it wont allow me to tether saying that RUNDIS is not installed.........heres the things i did do
1. uninstalled and disconnected device....no go
2. installed lg unified driver...no go.......
3. downloaded the tetherxp.inf file from google....no go
4. downloaded the hotfix for xp- heres the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959765...no go
5 tried using usb debugging......it wouldnt even install MTP drivers

I am using a dell Inspiron 700m laptop using windows xp pro sp3.....please help........

I have MTP and USB tethering working on my dell xp PC
To get tethering working you need USB debugging enabled and then select USB tethering... Obviously you'll need the proper drivers setup and installed.
When I select USB tethering and then check in Device Manager it shows my N5 connected under "Network Adapters" as "Windows Mobile-based internet sharing device" I right click on it and select Properties and then select the Drivers Tab and then select Driver Details it shows 2 driver details listed -
1. C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\rndismpx.sys - which is Remote NDIS miniport

2. C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\usb802x.sys - which is Remote NDIS USB driver

Your gonna want to take a look a my post about MTP and try and get that setup also... Here's my post from another thread -

Well I can tell you what transpired... I was having MTP and fastboot driver issues when I was trying to unlock the Bootloader and root my lenovo a2109 tablet. I finally got the fastboot driver installed but I was still having MTP driver issues. I did a lot of research on MTP and tried a lot of solutions. Something's that I did was update windows media player to 10 or higher, I installed mtppk12 = MTP porting kit, Microsoft user mode drivers, installed Android SDK, Java and .net framework 4.0 I also have the latest version of Microsoft ActiveSync installed as this added additional USB drivers for my PC to communicate with my windows phone.
I have all kinds of drivers installed on my PC. I have my N5, 2 other lg phones, 2 Samsung's, 2 Tablets, a Huawei, all are android devices and a HTC windows phone. MTP mode works on all of them except the HTC windows phone obviously, but USB debugging has to be disabled and I don't have to reboot my phones to get them to connect.
When I connect my N5 to my PC with only MTP selected and check in device manager it shows up under "Portable devices" as "Nexus 5" when I right click on it and select properties, then click on the drivers tab and select, driver details it shows 2 driver details -
1. "C:\windows\system32\drivers\wpdusb.sys" which is WPD USB driver
2. "C:\windows\system32\drivers\wudfrd.sys" which is Windows driver foundation - User mode drive framework reflector.
It shows the same driver details for all my android devices and lists them under portable devices in device manager by there names. eg. Nexus 5, LGMS 769, LGMS 770, A2109 and so on.

I also have MTP Enhanced.exe installed to the root of my C:\ Drive
Good luck