Battery drain issues

Search This thread

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013
Alright so on my last M8 my battery life was phenomenal, last all day with the same usage I give this one. The thing about this is both of the M8's are/were running the exact same stuff, I even flashed the Nandroid I made of my old one onto my new one and moved everything back into original place so it is about as close as it could possibly be to the original one. The only thing which is not the same is the firmware as Firewater worked on my original one and failed on the new one.

Ok ok anyways now away from that part, I don't do anything different and I'm running ViperROM 1.8.0 on 1.54.401.5 firmware with CheckM8 kernel @2.57GHz (max 2.8). Would upgrading to ViperROM 2.2.0 maybe solve this problem, or perhaps a firmware update (if there is one) or just simply switching to a more battery efficient ROM like Android Revolution HD 10.1? I've previously used ARHD before (v6 or v8) and I loved it, fastest ROM i've ever used on this phone and I also found an Xposed module that does a good amount of what I liked about Viper (ease of use) soo I wouldn't mind switching that bad if it would solve my battery issue, I mean my phone literally will not even last from when I wake up (10:30 AM) to 4 PM, barely even then and that requires going somewhere and not using it at all for an hour maybe.

What I don't really understand is why switching from old to new has changed my battery life so much, could it be I might just be an even heavier user now than I was then? It used to last until 9 PM from 9:15 AM...now just 1 hour of turning off alarms in the morning drains it to 81% (this morning). That alarm part doesn't really sound normal to me at all as when I used ARHD my battery literally would maybe just MAYBE drop 1% all night off charger.

Thanks ahead of time for any replies!

Here is the link to the pictures, apparently they are "too big" (286kb) to upload to here and too many so I had to upload them to imgur.

Last edited:

bill3508

May 23, 2011
Post a pic of when you go to app running in the settings menu. YouTube kills battery so does Facebook. Install greenify and wake lock detector. Well go from there once you've done that. Also need something to freeze some of the google play services, either tibu or ROM toolbox. What governor and scheduler are you running?

HTC One M8 powered by SinLess Audiophile v3.5.5 Art/Elite Lunar 3.4.0

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013
Post a pic of when you go to app running in the settings menu. YouTube kills battery so does Facebook. Install greenify and wake lock detector. Well go from there once you've done that. Also need something to freeze some of the google play services, either tibu or ROM toolbox. What governor and scheduler are you running?

I posted a pic of the "usage(app running)" or well linked to it but I'll upload it on here since I know a lot of people don't want to click to any sort of off-site thing. I also installed Greenify yesterday and froze some apps then unfroze my messaging ones since even with the GCM waker checked it still didn't let me receive notifications without opening the apps & also I have wake lock detector & some pics from it on the link too, would you like me to upload them also? I also have Titanium already on my phone so let me know what you need me to do with that.
Take note that normally the max frequency was always 2.8 on this and old M8 up until I lowered it in an attempt to save battery.

I/O Scheduler: CFQ with Read ahead size of 1024 Kb
PnPMgr: Disabled
Cpu Governor: ondemand
CPU Min Freq: 300 MHz
Current CPU Max: 2419 MHz
CPU Scheduler??: I don't know, does the I/O Scheduler count as this?
Brightness: Auto, WiFi: off when not connected or poor signal, Mobile Data: Almost always on, GPS: Off, Auto Sync: Off, Power Saving Mode: Nav button feedback off only.
Kernel: CheckM8 2.8 GHz

Also my phone is almost always on silent, vibrate is rare when I may need to accept an important call or message.

Edit: I added in every photo that I could possibly add from the imgur album I made, including ones from BetterBatteryStats and Process Stats from Developer Options & also around 3 or 4 were too big to upload. Edit #2: the one from Wake Lock Detector is one of the few that were too big to upload but I'll give you what they say.

1013, x341 & 1h 8m; UID x32, 9m 31s; Timely x258, 3m 54s; UID again x13181, 2m 29s; HTC BlinkFeed x29, 1m 16s; Android System x757, 1m 16s; Facebook x594, 1m 3s; Messenger x700, 59s; Dialer x291, can't see the time on it. - Wake Lock Detector

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-11-25.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-11-25.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-06-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-06-39.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-07-06.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-07-06.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-10-09.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-10-09.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-10-33.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-10-33.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-10-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-10-39.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-11-36.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-27-14-11-36.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

bill3508

May 23, 2011
Have you gone into app oops and changed any of the permissions. Especially keep awake on certain ones. It will show what's waking up and when. Just test what you do as you can cause some things not to work.

Freeze some of the google play services, google analytics, NLP location, etc. Crap that runs constantly for no reason.

Might give noop or so scheduler a try as both work well with on demand.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I posted a pic of the "usage(app running)" or well linked to it but I'll upload it on here since I know a lot of people don't want to click to any sort of off-site thing. I also installed Greenify yesterday and froze some apps then unfroze my messaging ones since even with the GCM waker checked it still didn't let me receive notifications without opening the apps & also I have wake lock detector & some pics from it on the link too, would you like me to upload them also? I also have Titanium already on my phone so let me know what you need me to do with that.
Take note that normally the max frequency was always 2.8 on this and old M8 up until I lowered it in an attempt to save battery.

I/O Scheduler: CFQ with Read ahead size of 1024 Kb
PnPMgr: Disabled
Cpu Governor: ondemand
CPU Min Freq: 300 MHz
Current CPU Max: 2419 MHz
CPU Scheduler??: I don't know, does the I/O Scheduler count as this?
Brightness: Auto, WiFi: off when not connected or poor signal, Mobile Data: Almost always on, GPS: Off, Auto Sync: Off, Power Saving Mode: Nav button feedback off only.
Kernel: CheckM8 2.8 GHz

Also my phone is almost always on silent, vibrate is rare when I may need to accept an important call or message.

Edit: I added in every photo that I could possibly add from the imgur album I made, including ones from BetterBatteryStats and Process Stats from Developer Options & also around 3 or 4 were too big to upload. Edit #2: the one from Wake Lock Detector is one of the few that were too big to upload but I'll give you what they say.

1013, x341 & 1h 8m; UID x32, 9m 31s; Timely x258, 3m 54s; UID again x13181, 2m 29s; HTC BlinkFeed x29, 1m 16s; Android System x757, 1m 16s; Facebook x594, 1m 3s; Messenger x700, 59s; Dialer x291, can't see the time on it. - Wake Lock Detector
Post 2 more pictures, kernel wake locks and partial wakelocks, it's hard to tell exactly what's using your data. Those are crucial screens.

My bet is Google now or Google plus isn't letting your phone sleep.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

bill3508

May 23, 2011
This screen.. This is all I have running on stanby unless I'm running a specific app.
uploadfromtaptalk1409323472295.jpg

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013
Have you gone into app oops and changed any of the permissions. Especially keep awake on certain ones. It will show what's waking up and when. Just test what you do as you can cause some things not to work.

Freeze some of the google play services, google analytics, NLP location, etc. Crap that runs constantly for no reason.

The only permissions I've changed with that are GPS ones and a few other privacy invading things I didn't need. I also froze/uninstalled most of the bloat and or useless stuff the day I got the phone.

Post 2 more pictures, kernel wake locks and partial wakelocks, it's hard to tell exactly what's using your data. Those are crucial screens.

Ok but I don't have Google Plus or even Google now, I uninstalled most of the useless Google crap that I never use.

Just incase you see this before I finish, I'm uploading the pics in a second so hold on.

Reactions: BadUsername

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013
Here, sorry for the multiple posting thing, I mean't to upload this to the other post but accidentally made another.

Attachments

• 1409329013646.jpg
    1409329013646.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1409329023895.jpg
    1409329023895.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1409329032736.jpg
    1409329032736.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 1409329041876.jpg
    1409329041876.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013
Are you playing any music or games? Or have haptic feedback enabled for any app?

Sometimes music but not often, sometimes games (piano tiles & only twice in history, candy crush) and I know the games drain a lot when I actually am playing one but when I'm not they don't. & Haptic feedback is disabled with power saving mode. On the old one it was enabled.

bill3508

May 23, 2011
That 1013 audio drain has been a common problem on android for some. Might check DSP manager or fx or whatever DSP type app is installed to see if its acting up.

Reactions: S1L3nTShaDoWz

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Sometimes music but not often, sometimes games (piano tiles & only twice in history, candy crush) and I know the games drain a lot when I actually am playing one but when I'm not they don't. & Haptic feedback is disabled with power saving mode. On the old one it was enabled.
Audiomix is an audio wakelock, not sure if it's an internal que or external output, but I bet one of your apps is holding an audio que and causing wakelocks. That definitely isn't a normal wakelock common on every device.

I'd systematically uninstall apps you think might be the culprit and see if it resolves the issue.

Reactions: S1L3nTShaDoWz

S1L3nTShaDoWz

Dec 25, 2013
That 1013 audio drain has been a common problem on android for some. Might check DSP manager or fx or whatever DSP type app is installed to see if its acting up.

I don't have any of those, all I have is PowerAmp and the H/K audio mod installed (Flashed via recovery).
Now that I looked at the 1013 closer and got some more information on it it says that the AudioMix was on 40 minutes 37 seconds and woken x337 times. TimedEventQueue was on for 8 seconds and woken x954.

Audiomix is an audio wakelock, not sure if it's an internal que or external output, but I bet one of your apps is holding an audio que and causing wakelocks. That definitely isn't a normal wakelock common on every device.

I'd systematically uninstall apps you think might be the culprit and see if it resolves the issue.

Yeah didn't realize this until I tapped on the 1013 wakelock and it says that AudioMix is 40 minutes 31 seconds with 336 wakes (x336) and TimedEventQueue is 8 seconds but x954 wakes. The only audio app I have is PowerAmp as mentioned above along with H/K audio mod, Also the thing after TimedEventQueue is 'AudioIn' and it says 0.0 seconds and x3 wakes. I'd assume AudioIn is calls or something? Either way could the audio wakes be because most of the time I leave PowerAmp running in the background? Nearly ALL of the time except a bit less recently I will just pause a song and leave Poweramp running in the background with its notification thing in the status bar for quick song switching/replaying. I'll try freezing Poweramp and see if the wakelock goes away though.

Also both of these quotes go to both of you, hard typing the same thing twice lol.

Edit: Oh also I had a Poweramp widget but I just removed that too along with freezing it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The only permissions I've changed with that are GPS ones and a few other privacy invading things I didn't need. I also froze/uninstalled most of the bloat and or useless stuff the day I got the phone.

Ok but I don't have Google Plus or even Google now, I uninstalled most of the useless Google crap that I never use.

Just incase you see this before I finish, I'm uploading the pics in a second so hold on.