Root for ICS TPT! This time the REAL thing!

Search This thread

ggregorsch

Oct 11, 2012
It's working flawlessly on A400_03_0070_0132_ROW. :good:
CWM install works also.
Thanks man, I'm really happy :D

First, load this one: LINK

Its the Driver needed for the TPT to communicate with the PC over ADB protocol.

Go to your TPT Settings below inside Developer Options and check USB Debugging. Attach to your PC and hand the new unknown Device in Device manager the loaded ADB Driver. Then download and unzip everything from the Exploit into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory. This should do it for the rooting of the Stock Firmware. You can verify it by getting "Root Checker" from Play Store. If its green, next load this one: LINK and this one LINK. Its the ClockWorkMod aka modded Recovery Mode making it possible to flash unsigned Updates and making nice Full Backups and the JB Firmware itself.

Install this way from a windows console bein inside the folder where the adb.exe from the exploit is, Step one is making a backup of your previous Recovery Mode for future reverting if you want to do so. Step two is the actual install. You need to copy the loaded recovery.img from the CWM thread to the SD in your TPT, same goes for the JB ZIP File and maybe the 3G Patch for the 3G Card you might have.

BE SURE ALL FILES ARE COPIED ON THE SD AND ITS INSIDE THE TPT AGAIN!

Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/external_sd/orig_recovery.img
mount -o rw,remount /system
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup
dd if=/mnt/external_sd/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
exit
exit

This should be enough. Now reboot and while the Lenovo mini Logo shows up, push Vol UP rapidly. This should boot up CWM6, our modded recover Mode. Here Vol UP is upwards, Vol DOWN is downwards and ON/OFF is Enter. First thing, DO A FULL BACKUP TO EXTERNAL SD in "backup and restore", "backup" !!! Then let it do a "wipe data/factory reset", then select "install zip from sdcard" and in there "choose zip from external sdcard". Choose the CM10 JB ZIP first, then the 3G Patch for your Card.

Reboot and youre done.

Managed to root succesfully but cannot get CWM6 installed adb shell and su commands work ok but any of other commands do nothing flashing cursor no hash prompt, what am I doing wrong?

Oops my error trying to enter commands individually rather than as a block, CWM 6 installed now, Thanks.

Last edited:

emuandco

No clue if your # shows up after the commands again. if so, DD and i think mount, too do not output anything, reboot your device and hop into recvovery mode by periodically push Vol+ when the white lenovo logo shows up. There should be your CWM already. And before you retry again and again backup the orig_recovery.img from SD, otherwise your backup is no more...
If not, check if your SD has the needed files in root and they are readable. (Check that the sd is FAT32 formatted!)

Last edited:

ggregorsch

Oct 11, 2012
I wonder... Arent ROW TPT's bootloaders unlocked by default anyway?? Thus there was a nvflash exploit weeks ago?
Correct me if i am wrong ^^

Yes, there was the chinese exploit but I was afraid to use it :D. The full automated root method was much thrustworthy from
my point of view, due to many succesfull reports. There was another user (on this topic) with OTA3.5 ROW tablet who successfuly rooted.
His report made me take the decision going that way...
Have I done something wrong? My TPT acts normal, root access works ok. CWM is installed but I'm waiting for a bigger SD card to try
a nandroid backup.

Last edited:

Planemaker

Oct 9, 2012
I flashed the CM v8 to my TPT (no problems). However, I seem to get a lot of random reboots so, I may have to restore my previous image until CM becomes more stable.

128rincon

Oct 10, 2012
OK. I have 2 TPT's. One I totally boogered, & it's at the local computer repair shop. The other still works fortunately, as I use it in my business. I got them both rooted using the method here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1706588). I then loaded ROM Manager Premium, it was "Allowed" by Superuser. I uninstalled some apps on my boogered unit, and got it so messed up, that I felt it was beyond my expertise to restore it. I tried doing a full restore via ROM Manager to no avail. Now I'd like to back-up my good unit, and I can't figure out how. In addition, if I do the "power up and tap the volume up button" thing, the standard stock options come up. No CWM options. (along with the error messages in yellow..E:"failed to mount/cache (Invalid argument) & E:Can't mount/cache (Invalid argument). I tried doing a "Reboot from recovery" in ROM manager, and it just started like a normal start up. I tried reinstalling ROM manager, to no avail. So, now I have a "rooted" unit, but can't back-up or install Jellybean, etc. I can however mess it up by uninstalling important apps (with "Root App Delete") as I did on my other unit!!! Any suggestions as to why I'm experiencing this?

Summer Son

Jun 26, 2012
Hi guys,

Can you please tell me, do I need to connect the tablet in some kind of recovery mode (pardon my ignorance) while its turned off with holding Vol Up button or just connect it when its simply on is ok? I tried the last one and it doesnt do anything, it just launches the daemon and waits.

Thanks in advance!

emuandco

Hi guys,

Can you please tell me, do I need to connect the tablet in some kind of recovery mode (pardon my ignorance) while its turned off with holding Vol Up button or just connect it when its simply on is ok? I tried the last one and it doesnt do anything, it just launches the daemon and waits.

Thanks in advance!

Just connect is when its switched on and be sure you activated usb debugging.

Summer Son

Jun 26, 2012
Just connect is when its switched on and be sure you activated usb debugging.

I did and nothing happens. However I didnt install ADB driver, but nothing asked for that. I had all the drivers installed automatically by Windows first time I've connected it and thats all...

Update: made it work by deleting device from Windows, then reattaching it, then it asked me for ADB drivers (didnt ask before), installed them and everything went fine. Thank you!

Last edited:

128rincon

Oct 10, 2012
emuandco, I thought ROM Manager was CWM? So what do I have to download (& where do I download it), & how do I install CWM? Thanks!

128rincon

Oct 10, 2012
Thanks emuandco! I'll try it on my current unit when I get my other one back from the repair shop...just in case I mess it up!

softbirdy

Oct 14, 2012
Help needed

Help needed. I try to root my TPT, but no success.

Context:
Windows 7 (64 bits) as Guest OS on VirtualBox (Host: Lubuntu)
ThinkPadTablet_A400_03_070_0132_US

I unpacked the two following packages within the same directory:
ASUS Android USB Driver.zip
DebugfsRoot_Generic_v2.3.zip

On the TPT:
USB debugging: enable
Allow installation of non-Market apps: Unknown sources: enable
Micro USB - Transfer files: enable
Connect as MTP (Media device)

I connected TPT to PC, and drivers get installed automaticly.
No other adb.exe in the system path.

I run "RootDebugfs.bat" and selected option #1. Screen output:
> Waiting for device to be detected
> * server not running #
> * daemon not running. strating it now on port 5037 *
> * daemon started successfully *

{hanging}

I also observed that in the task manager that two 'adb.exe*32' processes are running.

press key: Ctrl-C
> Rooting FAILED! System partition was not found.

Note: when I run "adb devices", it list my device. In some other occasion, it also list it but with the label "offline".

Thanks for telling me what is wrong in what I am doing.

Last edited:

128rincon

Oct 10, 2012
emuandco, I got the adb installed so my computer recognizes the TPT, but how do I "load" the other files at the other 2 links in your "manual"?
...and how about those "codes"...how do I load those??? Sorry. I'm a novice with this! But if you could help me out, that would be great, as now the computer repair guy is saying he can't restore my other unit as Lenovo won't give him access to the needed files because it's "rooted"!
Thanks!

emuandco

How far does this tpt still work? For installing cwm you need adb shell access and working root. no cwm, no CM10

Put recovery.img to the sd, as i stated in my manual and follow the steps. Its not difficult, but do not assume anything which is not stated there, as your thought that ROM Manager is CWM and stuff.... ^^

And what codes do you mean?? The code block is what you have to write in the cmd shell to make adb do the needed changes. Just copy line by line. Be warned, if you have no clue what you are doing, i wont take any responsibility. Do exactly what i wrote there. No typo, no nothing!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I have good news for you all. I sat down these days and tried all kinds of exploits and one, normally for the Asus Transformer Prime really works!

Debugfs automated root from sparkym3 provided me full root access to my device. Its simple to use and does all stuff automatic :D

So it enables Users of the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet to finally root their device, even if you had it updated to ICS. As you all know, this was not possible before, but after I ran through almost all exploits running anywhere for ICS, I found this one working like a charm. :D

Have fun!

WARNING!
    If you dont know the slightest bit of Windows or Linux shell and never did more than USE the device, be warned... If you kill it, its dead!
    Summary of how to acquire ROOT

Below is an aggregation of the information that you can find elsewhere. More convenient for newbies like me.

Note: the following only applies to the TPT that currently run ICS 4.0.3 ; i.e.ThinkPadTablet_A400_03_007_132_US (or UK, ROW, etc). See under "Setting:About tablet" for your version.

(1) Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below. It won't hurt anything if ADB & SDK are already installed; however, make sure no other adb.exe is accessible through the system path (see below howto).

(2) Install proper Levovo ADB Interface driver on your PC.
    HowTo: "A-TPT ADB setup info.pdf".
    Use file: adb_driver_20110720.zip

(3) Just download and unzip the following zip file into a "working directory of your choice" on your PC;
    File: DebugfsRoot_Generic_v2.3.zip

(4) Then on your TPT, go to Setting and enable the following options:
    a) Developer option: USB debugging: enable
    b) Security: Device administration: Allow installation of non-Market apps: Unknown sources: enable
    c) Storage: {upper right corner tab}: USB Connection: Micro USB - Transfer files: enable & Connect as MTP (Media device): enable

(5) Connect your TPT to your PC and make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

(6) At the command line of your PC,
    a) type "cd {working directory that you choose above}"; then,
    b) type "where adb.exe" to make sure it is the adb.exe from the working directory that will be run and not another one accessible through the system path; then
    c) run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory;

(7) once script complete with success; then, on your TPT
    a) install "BusyBox"
    b) install package "superuser" (author: ChainsDD) and run once
    c) may need to reboot at least once, maybe twise
    d) install RootCherker and run once
    e) (optional but recommanded) install "Voodoo OTA RootKeeper" and run once

Done!

I thank everyone that contributed information.
    Please donate to those who did the hard work; perhaps: sparkym3; miloj; etc.
    First, load this one: LINK

Its the Driver needed for the TPT to communicate with the PC over ADB protocol.

Go to your TPT Settings below inside Developer Options and check USB Debugging. Attach to your PC and hand the new unknown Device in Device manager the loaded ADB Driver. Then download and unzip everything from the Exploit into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory. This should do it for the rooting of the Stock Firmware. You can verify it by getting "Root Checker" from Play Store. If its green, next load this one: LINK and this one LINK. Its the ClockWorkMod aka modded Recovery Mode making it possible to flash unsigned Updates and making nice Full Backups and the JB Firmware itself.

Install this way from a windows console bein inside the folder where the adb.exe from the exploit is, Step one is making a backup of your previous Recovery Mode for future reverting if you want to do so. Step two is the actual install. You need to copy the loaded recovery.img from the CWM thread to the SD in your TPT, same goes for the JB ZIP File and maybe the 3G Patch for the 3G Card you might have.

BE SURE ALL FILES ARE COPIED ON THE SD AND ITS INSIDE THE TPT AGAIN!

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/external_sd/orig_recovery.img
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup
    dd if=/mnt/external_sd/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    exit
    exit

This should be enough. Now reboot and while the Lenovo mini Logo shows up, push Vol UP rapidly. This should boot up CWM6, our modded recover Mode. Here Vol UP is upwards, Vol DOWN is downwards and ON/OFF is Enter. First thing, DO A FULL BACKUP TO EXTERNAL SD in "backup and restore", "backup" !!! Then let it do a "wipe data/factory reset", then select "install zip from sdcard" and in there "choose zip from external sdcard". Choose the CM10 JB ZIP first, then the 3G Patch for your Card.

Reboot and youre done.
    Hey guys, I have good news for you all. I sat down these days and tried all kinds of exploits and one, normally for the Asus Transformer Prime really works!

I confirm it works perfectly. ICS TPT _A400_03_0070_0132_US :good:
    after some trouble installing the adb drivers it worked fine on my WE tablet..finally, awesome, thanks :D
    Hi, can I have a link to those drivers? Having some trouble figuring out which ones are ok to use. I also got A400 WE and i'm at wit's end.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

I just revived my Thinkpad recently and wanted to root it. I was not able to get the script to properly root my tablet so I figured I would share the process and steps outlined in the script that I ran manually.

First you need to determine where your /system is mounted. Do that by running the following
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb wait-for-device

adb shell mount
    You are looking for something like this (This is an example, DO NOT COPY THIS YOURS WILL BE DIFFERENT. RUN THE MOUNT COMMAND ABOVE TO DETERMINE YOUR MOUNT LOCATION)
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered

For the rest of this replace %MOUNT% with your mount location, see above.

Download and extract the Debugfs automated root zip file mentioned above in the quote.
    From the extracted zip location, run.
    Code:
    adb push debugfs /data/local/
    adb push su /data/local/
    adb push debugfsinput /data/local/
    adb shell mv /data/local/tmp /data/local/tmp.bak
    adb shell ln -s %MOUNT% /data/local/tmp

adb reboot

After the tablet reboots
    Code:
    adb wait-for-device

adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/debugfs
    adb shell "/data/local/debugfs -w %MOUNT% < /data/local/debugfsinput"
    adb shell rm /data/local/tmp
    adb shell mv /data/local/tmp.bak /data/local/tmp
    adb shell rm /data/local/su
    adb shell rm /data/local/debugfs
    adb shell rm /data/local/debugfsinput

adb reboot

You should now have root. To check for root you can open an adb shell and type the su command.
    Code:
    adb wait-for-device
    adb shell
    su
    You should start out with a shell that ends in a '$'. After running the su command you should have a shell that ends in '#'. If you do, congrats you are rooted.

Install the super user app and you are done.
    Code:
    adb install Superuser.apk

I get the following error when trying to run
    Code:
    adb shell "/data/local/debugfs -w /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 < /dat
    a/local/debugfsinput"

debugfs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
    debugfs: rm: File not found by ext2_lookup while trying to resolve filename
    debugfs:
    debugfs: debugfs: Allocated inode: 1164
    debugfs: debugfs: debugfs: debugfs:

I'm on a ThinkPadTablet_A400_03_0070_0132_ROW version (latest stock it had on it) and want to install CM10 badly but can't get root.
    Any ideas?

Think I need a different debugfs version? Recommended download location? Also, is it important which drivers I'm using? Got a download link in any case?