[Q] Can't flash recovery

Search This thread

AcademyA

May 4, 2014
I've beeing trying to change my ROM. I'm trying to install Clockworks recovery and it doesn't work. I've tried using Rom Manager, EZ recovery and doing it manually. Each time it just goes into the default recovery. I've also tried twrp. Any help?

GT-I9200T
Andriod version: 4.1.2

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I assume you mean you have an I9100T ?

1) The reason your recovery isn't sticking after you reboot is because recovery is 'baked' into the kernel on the I9100, so any recovery flashed independently will only persist until the next reboot.

2) Do not use Rom Manager with the I9100. At all. Ever.. Eventually, it will break recovery & cause your phone to reboot. The only fix is to flash stock via Odin & do a factory reset. And as most people here don't make regular backup, it sucks to be you in this situation because you lose your data.

3) Easiest way to get CWM that will stick is to flash a custom kernel; you have several options, a search will reveal your choices (PhilZ seems to be what many people use these days for simplicity's sake). From there you can then flash whatever custom rom (or kernel) you want.

If you don't have an I9100, clarify exactly what you have & we'll organise mods to move your thread.

AcademyA

May 4, 2014

1) The reason your recovery isn't sticking after you reboot is because recovery is 'baked' into the kernel on the I9100, so any recovery flashed independently will only persist until the next reboot.

2) Do not use Rom Manager with the I9100. At all. Ever.. Eventually, it will break recovery & cause your phone to reboot. The only fix is to flash stock via Odin & do a factory reset. And as most people here don't make regular backup, it sucks to be you in this situation because you lose your data.

3) Easiest way to get CWM that will stick is to flash a custom kernel; you have several options, a search will reveal your choices (PhilZ seems to be what many people use these days for simplicity's sake). From there you can then flash whatever custom rom (or kernel) you want.

If you don't have an I9100, clarify exactly what you have & we'll organise mods to move your thread.

Sorry, I've got a 19100T. My bad. As for losing data I don't mind, I've got my contacts backed up and that's all I need. It seems PhiZ is only for Galaxy S4's. :crying:

Also what about Rom Toolbox? Will that be bad aswell?

Last edited:

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Geelong AU
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Sorry, I've got a 19100T. My bad. As for losing data I don't mind, I've got my contacts backed up and that's all I need. It seems PhiZ is only for Galaxy S4's. :crying:

No, PhilZ is not only for Galaxy S4's. The S4 version is a recovery only, as the partition layout on the I95x phones is different (kernel & recovery are separate). PhilZ for the I9100 is a kernel with recovery built into it.

You should be able to find the thread easily; I found it in 2.3 seconds with a Google search 'I9100 PhilZ XDA' at top of results. As to which file to use, you need to take the time to read the thread to work that out for yourself. Failure to read/learn before doing leads to busted phones.

Reactions: SteveMurphy

AcademyA

May 4, 2014
No, PhilZ is not only for Galaxy S4's. The S4 version is a recovery only, as the partition layout on the I95x phones is different (kernel & recovery are separate). PhilZ for the I9100 is a kernel with recovery built into it.

You should be able to find the thread easily; I found it in 2.3 seconds with a Google search 'I9100 PhilZ XDA' at top of results. As to which file to use, you need to take the time to read the thread to work that out for yourself. Failure to read/learn before doing leads to busted phones.

When finding the Kernel code, I type in getprop in terminal. I see stuff like the build number but I can't find the Kernel code anywhere. The only thing I see that is related to Kernel is ro.kernel.qemu: [0]

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What are you doing in terminal ? You're overthinking this. I realise it's in the thread, but that's completely unnecessary nonsense

Phone settings/about device - build number.

My final post to this thread. You're on your own.