MHL 3.0 Adapter...

Search This thread

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
Did you ever get this figured out? I just used mhl for the first time on my m8. I used the same cable I did for my m7. It's a
Skiva 6.5 feet MHL (Micro USB) to male HDMI cable. I had trouble at first but here's how I got it to work flawlessly: first I plugged everything in, no particular order... Next I plugged in the micro usb part to my m8 while the tv input was still on my normal everyday input... I waited until my red charging light turned on my m8 then I switched to the correct tv input. My m8 went into mhl mode and I streamed a movie perfectly.
I tried switching the tv input first then plugging in my phone and it wouldn't work. But, when I left it on my normal input, then plugged my phone in and saw it was charging, then changed inputs.... Success!
I finally tried the way you suggested but still nothing, and I even now have the 4.4.3 firmware update and everything... The mhl symbol appears, it says it's outputting the signal but no image on my projector...
Maybe it's because I bought a cheap generic ebay adapter and yours is a branded one... Even so, it should work, I believe :(

zenisnotchosen

Jul 19, 2008
Dayton, OH
I finally had a chance to try mine again. I'm getting the same thing as you, says it's outputting a signal, and flickers a few pixels/lines as though an image is going to come up but just stays a black screen. I know mine works though because I've gotten it to display a couple times in the past. For mine to even get that far though I have to plug in the power to the adapter first, then the adapter into the M8, then the HDMI cable into the adapter. I can plug the adapter into the phone, then power to the adapter, but the HDMI always has to be last. Doing what he said and switching the input last seemed to work the same as mine doesn't detect the HDMI as being plugged in if its not on that input, but the HDMI cable can't be plugged into the adapter before plugging the others in or it will not turn on/work.

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
I ended ordering the discontinued original HTC AC M490 MHL adapter from eBay (15 euros) , it should finally work (the seller says it does) even though the HTC support team answered me that this phone does not support MHL, which is crazy. They want me to buy their wifi adapter, which costs 80 euros. When it arrives I will post the results.

zenisnotchosen

Jul 19, 2008
Dayton, OH
I ended ordering the discontinued original HTC AC M490 MHL adapter from eBay (15 euros) , it should finally work (the seller says it does) even though the HTC support team answered me that this phone does not support MHL, which is crazy. They want me to buy their wifi adapter, which costs 80 euros. When it arrives I will post the results.

The M8 definitely supports MHL, it's even listed in the documentation. Hopefully that will work for you. This one I got from Newegg was only $6, so I figured whatever if it doesn't work.

zenisnotchosen

Jul 19, 2008
Dayton, OH
Not that this will help you, but I just figured out my recent problem was the cheap HDMI cable I was using. One of my laptops wasn't displaying using the same cable and I messed with it and it started working.

Reactions: Badelhas

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
I thought that HDMI cables were all the same, I read several articles claiming that expensive HDMI cables giving better performance are a myth

zenisnotchosen

Jul 19, 2008
Dayton, OH
All HDMI cables are the same, as in it's a digital connection so it works or it doesn't, it makes no difference if its gold plated or coated with fairy dust. This was a case of a cheap cable so I had to wiggle it around and it started working hooked up to a laptop, so my guess is a poor connection at the connector or a problem with insulation or shielding inside the cable (very cheap cable). I should have known better and tried different cables to be sure (I was lazy).

Last edited:

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
I finally got the original HTC AC M490 MHL adapter and it's the same: mhl symbols appears but no image on the TV!! What the hell is going on?!

Wotta

Dec 14, 2010
I have a cheap generic MHL that works with everything including my Samsung tablets (using the included 30-pin adapter) and the M8. Only problem is that the M8 enforces HDCP even on mirroring the desktop.

Badelhas

Aug 12, 2012
Braga
What do you mean buy that? When you plug the M8 what does it happen, which message appears on the phone? Mine says it's on mhl and that I can now watch videos on the TV but there's no mirroring and even when I start a video there no signal on the TV (it's a projector, but whatever). That didn't happen with my Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4, the moment I plugged it in the image appeared on the TV.
I already tried two cheap generic adapters and not the official htc AC M490 MHL adapter and also with 2 different HDMI cables and I just dosent work. I am getting desperate!

Last edited:

killa57

Jun 1, 2010
Hey Guys!
1 st post here !

Would this work ?

The Rocketfish RF-G1171

I m a newbie I can t post links lol

This worked for me flawlessly hook everything to your tv and leave tv on a different input. hook it up to your phone wait for your phone charge light pop-up switch input and like magic it's on your tv

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

ree2k

Feb 1, 2014
the first true mhl 3.0 to hdmi adapter seems to be the "Avier MHL3.0" from JCE supporting 4k and fast charging...
mobilefun.com/50073-avier-mhl-3-0-micro-usb-to-hdmi-adapter.htm
Did any of you guys trie that one?
I'm not so sure whether the adapter uses the silicon image SiI9394 chip with the simultanously usb data channel or not...
would be great to have usb peripherials while hdmi enabled...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have this one from monoprice, just have to find it and see if it will work with my M8.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...83314&p_id=8675&seq=1&format=2#specifications
    Only 3.0 is compatible with m8?

NO> Any that aupprts the 5-pin should work fine. It is just that 2.0 & 3.0 don't need external power, if supported by the device, & 3.0 has greater speed & bandwidth capabilities. 4K video & 7.1 surround sound (L-PCM) support.
    So there is no mhl 3.0 5pin out there adapter yet.
    Which 2.0 5 pin adapter should I be
    buying for the HTC One m8?

Good question. I am researching that now. I find it hard to believe that a year old standard still isn't supported by accessory manufacturers, even though it is by the device manufacturers.

I'll let you know what ones I try & how it goes.
    For what its worth the one I bought I have to plug things in in a specific order or it won't work. I believe it is power, then HDMI, then MHL into M8. I have to do this each time, if I unplug it from the phone and just plug it back in it won't work until I unplug everything and reconnect in that order.
    Did you ever get this figured out? I just used mhl for the first time on my m8. I used the same cable I did for my m7. It's a
    Skiva 6.5 feet MHL (Micro USB) to male HDMI cable. I had trouble at first but here's how I got it to work flawlessly: first I plugged everything in, no particular order... Next I plugged in the micro usb part to my m8 while the tv input was still on my normal everyday input... I waited until my red charging light turned on my m8 then I switched to the correct tv input. My m8 went into mhl mode and I streamed a movie perfectly.
    I tried switching the tv input first then plugging in my phone and it wouldn't work. But, when I left it on my normal input, then plugged my phone in and saw it was charging, then changed inputs.... Success!