Easiest Step-By-Step Android Tutorial for the Vogue (NAND Method/Internal Memory)

Search This thread

crobs808

Dec 21, 2007
United States
I have created this post because I was honestly baffled by the NAND install threads for the Vogue that I found, that claimed to be "straightforward" and simple, but the people who wrote them leave a lot of gaps that you have to figure out. Perhaps they have been doing it for so long now, that they just 'assume' you will know stuff, so here are step-by-step instructions for someone who has zero experience with Android, and all they know is that they have a Window mobile phone.

So, Here is the NAND install process (will install Android to your internal memory, which is much better than running from the SD card) for the HTC Vogue (240x320), CDMA or GSM. I believe this is the most straightforward tutorial on this entire site, and all files you need are provided in this post; no file-hunting necessary like with other tutorials. Keep in mind, this process will wipe your internal memory and replace it with Android, so you should backup any personal files you have stored on the phone. If you have a CDMA phone (Verizon, Sprint, etc.) then you should make sure to backup your Contacts using a 3rd party program. GSM phones however (ATT, T-Mobile, etc.), typically store their contacts to a SIM card, which is not altered by this process. You do not need to backup your SD card, since it is also not altered when installing Android.

Dependencies: This process works for any ROM release that provides an "androidinstall.tar" file in their download package.

First and foremost, make sure you have unlocked your phone ("2.31 CoKe" HardSPL for CDMA Vogues). If you have ever flashed a custom Windows ROM from this site or ppcgeeks.com, to your device, then you most likely already have an unlocked phone. If not, perform the steps HERE first, before continuing AND flash to a custom Windows Mobile ROM (non-stock) and make sure your phone is provisioned (you can get and receive calls), and that you can use data (if you have a data plan).

1. Wipe your SD card, and make sure it is formatted FAT32
2. Create a new folder in the root of the SD card called "andboot"
3. Download the ROM release package of your choice (for example, you can download the 240x320 version of Myn’s Warm Donut - [RLS 5 - 04/24/2010] HERE)
4. Extract files from STEP 3 and put ONLY the "androidinstall.tar" file in the andboot folder on the SD card, by itself (no other files are needed)
5. You are DONE putting files on your SD card. At this point, put the SD card into your phone.
6. Download the latest NBH file that begins with "voguimg-240x320-..." (needed for all Vogue Android ROMs): HERE
7. Download the RUU Update Utility (needed for all Vogue Android ROMs): HERE
8. Rename the NBH file to from STEP 6 to "RUU_signed.nbh" and place it inside the folder with all the other files from STEP 7
9. Now, put your Vogue in bootloader mode: Hold down power, camera, and the small reset hole (with your stylus), until you see the tri-color screen, and it says "Serial" at the bottom
10. Plug your phone into your computer, and the "Serial" text should change the "USB"
11. Now, run the "ROMUpdateUtility.exe" from STEP 7, and click the "Next" or "OK" buttons to go through the flash/ROM update process, until your phone shows a progress bar on its screen and is updating.
12. As soon as that progress bar finishes the phone will automatically reboot; at this point unplug the phone from the computer
13. Now, watch carefully during the Linux boot process...there will be a quick message that says "Hold down Volume Up or D Pad". Just press and hold the center D-Pad button until you see the screen change to the installer menu. If you happen to miss it, and it continues loading, then just use your stylus to press the reset button (it will not hurt the phone or any files to try again as many times as you need to.)
14. You will now see a black and white menu. Select option 1, to "Install..."
15. Select "Yes" on the recommended prompt that follows
16. Once it says the Install process is complete and it returns you to the menu, just reboot your phone with the reset button
17. At this point just WAIT. Do NOT press the volume up button again, and do not do anything until you see the Android desktop. You may get an error saying that it could not find a file or something like that, but just ignore it...do not get impatient! Pretty soon the Android progress bar will show on the screen (might take up to 5 minutes), then the Android desktop will load.

DONE. Enjoy Android on your Vogue! You can now delete all the files on the SD card if you wish...Android will recreate anything it needs on boot-up each time.

MASS STORAGE FIX (USB to PC): You can get the Mass Storage fix HERE so that your storage card will show up as a drive on your computer. This is a widget, and not ROM specific, so should work for any Android ROM.

KAISER WI-FI FIX (for the Kaiser phone ONLY!): Download the Wi-Fi fix HERE (intended for use with 'myn's Warm Eclair RLS1', linked in STEP 3)

I do not ask for donations, just say 'Thanks' if this helped you. :)

UPDATE:
This Thread is now featured on Wired.com's News Site!! Link: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/windows-mobile-android/

Last edited:

MikeMurphy

May 14, 2009
Great post. Just some clarifications I thought would be helpful.

1. reminder to all - you can use SDHC cards for this, those being greater than 2gb, but make sure you format them to FAT32.

5. in some instances there are androidupdate.tar files that go with the build too, in which case that too needs to be placed in the same andboot folder

8. clarification, you'll be replacing the RUU_signed.nbh file with the 320 nbh file you download. So, you'll have to delete the ruu_signed.nbh that came with the update utility, and rename your downloaded 320 nbh to ruu_signed.nbh and place it in the update utility folder so it uses that file instead.

9. to enter bootloader mode you have to press those 3 buttons down for about 2 seconds, not just a quick tap. This bootloader is your failsafe fallback to reinstall if your operating system goes funky.

13. If volume up isn't working for you, try holding down the button in the middle of the directional pad. The last nbh file I used required this instead of the awkward volume-up. Regardless, be sure to do this quickly as soon as the phone reboots itself.

16. After the install process is complete you'll be brought back to the same menu you arrived at by holding down the button on startup, you may then select "update" or "upgrade" from that same menu to activate the androidupdate.tar file you may have copied to your andboot folder. Once done, just select "exit" or reset.

17. He's not kidding, first boot can take a very long time.

If you run into problems and just need a functional phone for a bit, download the nfsfan rom (or any other custom roms), put phone into bootloader and run the nfsfan rom utility from your windows desktop. Don't reinstall a locked carrier-specific rom that you might have used to update your radios otherwise I understand your Coke bootloader gets wiped out and you'll have to do that again. Alternatively, there is an older, dummy-proof Android ION build that will install the entire ION build through the rom update utility to your nand at http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/2009-12-17/androidinstall.zip/download

I'm no super-expert so if I have any misinformation in my post, or there are other shortcuts, please feel free to edit it or let me know and i'll modify it.

Last edited:

CasopoliS

Feb 17, 2010
Great post. Just some clarifications.

8. clarification, you'll be replacing the RUU_signed.nbh file with the 320 nbh file you download. So, you'll have to delete the ruu_signed.nbh that came with the update utility, and rename your downloaded 320 nbh to ruu_signed.nbh and place it in the update utility folder so it uses that file instead.

where is this file?

MikeMurphy

May 14, 2009

You're looking for the vogue 320 files, not the vogue eclair 320 files unless you're installing an eclair (2.x) build.

The .nbh files are usually referenced on the build thread in the forums, but if they are not head over to http://sourceforge.net/projects/androidhtc/files/ and download the latest.

(NOTE: I suggest you run at least the Feb 23 build at http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/files/?C=M;O=D as it enables the openGL support)

Last edited:

incubus26jc

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 12, 2009
Illinois

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California
now now, gents, you're both right - dzo's latest are in one spot, vilord's latest are in the other, and they don't always contain everything the other does. :) vilord mentioned trying to get them in one spot but I don't know if there's been any progress on that.

razorr69

Nov 17, 2007
it keeps hanging up at the progress bar and both stay at 0% it looks like the active sync is gone once in bootloader it goes gray and then its gone from tray in bottom right corner. it seems like once in bootloader mode i have no active sync connection it just hangs Then the updater goes into its recovery any help please

Last edited:

incubus26jc

Feb 12, 2009
Illinois
it keeps hanging up at the progress bar and both stay at 0% it looks like the active sync is gone once in bootloader it goes gray and then its gone from tray in bottom right corner. it seems like once in bootloader mode i have no active sync connection it just hangs Then the updater goes into its recovery any help please
go into bootloader before plugging your phone in by pressing and holding power button, camera button, and then use stylus to hit reset button.
once you get into bootloader, plug your phone in and then run the rom update

razorr69

Nov 17, 2007
go into bootloader before plugging your phone in by pressing and holding power button, camera button, and then use stylus to hit reset button.
once you get into bootloader, plug your phone in and then run the rom update

that is the way that i have been doing it as per the instructions, Any other suggestions? I just did a hard reset and restored the phone to out of the box if that helps out any.

thanks

Last edited:

incubus26jc

Feb 12, 2009
Illinois
that is the way that i have been doing it as per the instructions, Any other suggestions?

thanks

the only reason i said that is because active sync should have nothing to do with it. i dont think active sync should come up or shut down during this process. Do you have the RUU_signed.nbh named properly?

Last edited:

thehelios

Jul 17, 2007
Thank you so much. Been needing something like this since the other NAND tutorials for Android didn't tell you what files to use or had outdated/non-working links.

razorr69

Nov 17, 2007
Activesync has nothing to do with updates via the rainbow screen bootloader and will not sync.

You have already install the Coke bootloader? What OS are you running?

6.1. I followed the inst.
put the tar in andboot folder on sd
renamed the voug img file put it in the androidinstall folder on my desktop
put the rest of the files from myns donut into the androidinstall folder
then bootloader plug in usb then rom updater

everything goes fine intil it hangs on the progress bar at 0%

MikeMurphy

May 14, 2009
6.1. I followed the inst.
put the tar in andboot folder on sd
renamed the voug img file put it in the androidinstall folder on my desktop
put the rest of the files from myns donut into the androidinstall folder
then bootloader plug in usb then rom updater

everything goes fine intil it hangs on the progress bar at 0%

What OS are you running on your computer?

The ROM update utility really just installs the .nbh file which is somewhat of a front-end loader mechanism. Once that file is installed, then the phone resets, you hold down a button and you enter into the menu that lets you actually install android from the androidinstall.tar file in your andboot folder.

Here is a fail-proof method that I think will resolve your goofy androidinstall folder.

Download this

http://74.53.45.2/~evadmin/nfsfan/Public Releases/Vogue 6.5/ROMS/NFSFAN's WM6.5 1.00 FINAL ROM.rar

Then replace the .nbh file with the vogue 320 nbh. Then, run it when your phone is already in the bootloader screen.

Last edited:

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007
Excellent post :)

I'm linking this from Warm Donut on the first post.

razorr69

Nov 17, 2007
What OS are you running on your computer?

The ROM update utility really just installs the .nbh file which is somewhat of a front-end loader mechanism. Once that file is installed, then the phone resets, you hold down a button and you enter into the menu that lets you actually install android from the androidinstall.tar file in your andboot folder.

Here is a fail-proof method that I think will resolve your goofy androidinstall folder.

Download this

http://74.53.45.2/~evadmin/nfsfan/Public Releases/Vogue 6.5/ROMS/NFSFAN's WM6.5 1.00 FINAL ROM.rar

Then replace the .nbh file with the vogue 320 nbh. Then, run it when your phone is already in the bootloader screen.

Thank you will try it now. Running xp pro on my desktop

MikeMurphy

May 14, 2009
Thank you will try it now. Running xp pro on my desktop

XP Pro always worked well for me. I'm running Win7 x64 ultimate and recently my phone was recognized as a USB Sync Device in the bootloader mode which doesn't work for the rom update utility. This was occurring both with and without the installation of the MS Mobile Device Center app. To solve this I installed XP Mode and attached the usb device to the XP Mode and it recognized correctly as the Qualcomm MSM thing.

Just an FYI.

Last edited:

razorr69

Nov 17, 2007
XP Pro always worked well for me. I'm running Win7 x64 ultimate and recently my phone was recognized as a USB Sync Device in the bootloader mode which doesn't work for the rom update utility. This was occurring both with and without the installation of the MS Mobile Device Center app. To solve this I installed XP Mode and attached the usb device to the XP Mode and it recognized correctly as the Qualcomm MSM thing.

Just an FYI.

when i go into my computer it just says mobile device

razorr69

Nov 17, 2007
when i go into my computer it just says mobile device

same result error 262 update error. i dont get it this is so simple. 1 of the 4 steps is establish a connection with active sync dont know how to do that once im in bootloader mode it's like there is no connection but the phone shows the progress bar

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have created this post because I was honestly baffled by the NAND install threads for the Vogue that I found, that claimed to be "straightforward" and simple, but the people who wrote them leave a lot of gaps that you have to figure out. Perhaps they have been doing it for so long now, that they just 'assume' you will know stuff, so here are step-by-step instructions for someone who has zero experience with Android, and all they know is that they have a Window mobile phone.

So, Here is the NAND install process (will install Android to your internal memory, which is much better than running from the SD card) for the HTC Vogue (240x320), CDMA or GSM. I believe this is the most straightforward tutorial on this entire site, and all files you need are provided in this post; no file-hunting necessary like with other tutorials. Keep in mind, this process will wipe your internal memory and replace it with Android, so you should backup any personal files you have stored on the phone. If you have a CDMA phone (Verizon, Sprint, etc.) then you should make sure to backup your Contacts using a 3rd party program. GSM phones however (ATT, T-Mobile, etc.), typically store their contacts to a SIM card, which is not altered by this process. You do not need to backup your SD card, since it is also not altered when installing Android.

Dependencies: This process works for any ROM release that provides an "androidinstall.tar" file in their download package.

First and foremost, make sure you have unlocked your phone ("2.31 CoKe" HardSPL for CDMA Vogues). If you have ever flashed a custom Windows ROM from this site or ppcgeeks.com, to your device, then you most likely already have an unlocked phone. If not, perform the steps HERE first, before continuing AND flash to a custom Windows Mobile ROM (non-stock) and make sure your phone is provisioned (you can get and receive calls), and that you can use data (if you have a data plan).

1. Wipe your SD card, and make sure it is formatted FAT32
    2. Create a new folder in the root of the SD card called "andboot"
    3. Download the ROM release package of your choice (for example, you can download the 240x320 version of Myn’s Warm Donut - [RLS 5 - 04/24/2010] HERE)
    4. Extract files from STEP 3 and put ONLY the "androidinstall.tar" file in the andboot folder on the SD card, by itself (no other files are needed)
    5. You are DONE putting files on your SD card. At this point, put the SD card into your phone.
    6. Download the latest NBH file that begins with "voguimg-240x320-..." (needed for all Vogue Android ROMs): HERE
    7. Download the RUU Update Utility (needed for all Vogue Android ROMs): HERE
    8. Rename the NBH file to from STEP 6 to "RUU_signed.nbh" and place it inside the folder with all the other files from STEP 7
    9. Now, put your Vogue in bootloader mode: Hold down power, camera, and the small reset hole (with your stylus), until you see the tri-color screen, and it says "Serial" at the bottom
    10. Plug your phone into your computer, and the "Serial" text should change the "USB"
    11. Now, run the "ROMUpdateUtility.exe" from STEP 7, and click the "Next" or "OK" buttons to go through the flash/ROM update process, until your phone shows a progress bar on its screen and is updating.
    12. As soon as that progress bar finishes the phone will automatically reboot; at this point unplug the phone from the computer
    13. Now, watch carefully during the Linux boot process...there will be a quick message that says "Hold down Volume Up or D Pad". Just press and hold the center D-Pad button until you see the screen change to the installer menu. If you happen to miss it, and it continues loading, then just use your stylus to press the reset button (it will not hurt the phone or any files to try again as many times as you need to.)
    14. You will now see a black and white menu. Select option 1, to "Install..."
    15. Select "Yes" on the recommended prompt that follows
    16. Once it says the Install process is complete and it returns you to the menu, just reboot your phone with the reset button
    17. At this point just WAIT. Do NOT press the volume up button again, and do not do anything until you see the Android desktop. You may get an error saying that it could not find a file or something like that, but just ignore it...do not get impatient! Pretty soon the Android progress bar will show on the screen (might take up to 5 minutes), then the Android desktop will load.

DONE. Enjoy Android on your Vogue! You can now delete all the files on the SD card if you wish...Android will recreate anything it needs on boot-up each time.

MASS STORAGE FIX (USB to PC): You can get the Mass Storage fix HERE so that your storage card will show up as a drive on your computer. This is a widget, and not ROM specific, so should work for any Android ROM.

KAISER WI-FI FIX (for the Kaiser phone ONLY!): Download the Wi-Fi fix HERE (intended for use with 'myn's Warm Eclair RLS1', linked in STEP 3)

I do not ask for donations, just say 'Thanks' if this helped you. :)

UPDATE:
    This Thread is now featured on Wired.com's News Site!! Link: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/windows-mobile-android/
    Excellent explanation, MrKite, thank you Again
    VOGUIMG.NBH should be latest for Froyo, if going to Froyo, yes? I mean say 240X320 file? Just rename it properly

androidinstall.tgz latest from whichever version I want?

I think I might try this Android stuff on Nand.

FroYo nbh for froyo build, yes

I personally like 240x320 but I'm sure you'd find LOTS of people who don't

latest androidinstall.tgz from fresh froyo, or incubus' super froyo.

i think you'll like it. :)
    I can't remember if one can do this, but can I flash Android to my Vogue using just an sdcard?
    If so, what files are required for the card and does it have to be 1gb fat32?

It has to be a non-sdhc card. You need a voguimg.nbh on the root, then go in to bootloade

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App
    More specifically, hold power and camera, then push and release the reset button, wait for tricolor, then release power and camera.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App
    http://www.mediafire.com/?q4chsc1jmy1rb

I mirrored the latest of the two best resolutions
    I had them in my Development folder
    enjoy!!!