Camera module from another Xperia?

Search This thread

Drakenfall

Jun 10, 2010
Hi

Is it possible to replace Play's camera module for a NEO's 8Mp one or from another xperia 2011 phone, like Ray or Arc?

I've seen some disassembly videos and the connector seems to be the same in all of them.

Regards

Drakenfall

Jun 10, 2010
I don't know but I'd imagine that it would require kernel modifications and would be an overly complex solution...

Well i know if we have a Neo V and get the 8mp camera module of Neo and flash the Neo camera files we get a full Neo.

Since the conectors are the same the module should work i think and with that the camera files should work on Play.

depend on rom..

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

What do you mean?

CTU_Loscombe

Apr 4, 2010
Sunderland
I'm sure megapixel is hardware related. I doubt flashing a different camera would work
Kinda like asking "If I flash my NES could I make it into an Xbox360?"

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

University of Pi

Aug 31, 2011
Rochester, NY
I'm sure megapixel is hardware related. I doubt flashing a different camera would work

I think he's talking about swapping out the physical module

that's why I said and ezadsyafiq99 said that it would certainly require software modifications (somehow I can't think of a wording that comes off less angry sounding; I'm just trying to explain ;)

Drakenfall

Jun 10, 2010

Well, like University answered, i was talking about switching the hardware camnera module from another phone (Neo,Arc) since in the Neo V you can use the 8mp module of Neo.

I think he's talking about swapping out the physical module

that's why I said and ezadsyafiq99 said that it would certainly require software modifications (somehow I can't think of a wording that comes off less angry sounding; I'm just trying to explain ;)

Well i will assume that isn´t just switch the module, also some libs and etc.., but i would like to know is if any one knows if there is a module that is plug and play (aside from the software mod).

D

Deleted member 4493700

If you switch the camera of the play for the neo, doesn't that mean you'll need to.switch the camera.apk because the one the play has the mp option up to 5mp

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Drakenfall

Jun 10, 2010
If you switch the camera of the play for the neo, doesn't that mean you'll need to.switch the camera.apk because the one the play has the mp option up to 5mp

Sent from my R800x using XDA

Well, if a camera module of Neo is hardware compatible, i will assume that i will need to change the camera.apk and libs and some more software related.

Turbostraw

Jan 22, 2008
Hmm I was wondering something similar: my xperia s camera module is broken (only think broken after a 4 story fall!) and I can only find 8mp Neo modules online.

Do you think I can just swap it with my current module (as they are basically the same) or would it require APK fiddling?

Drakenfall

Jun 10, 2010
Hmm I was wondering something similar: my xperia s camera module is broken (only think broken after a 4 story fall!) and I can only find 8mp Neo modules online.

Do you think I can just swap it with my current module (as they are basically the same) or would it require APK fiddling?

I´m not 100% shure, in the Neo V it´s just switch the camera module with the Neo and flash the Neo firmware and all set, so i´ll assume that in Xperia 2011 range i could try to add a 8mp to the Play, my friend has a Neo V and he will make the upgrade to the 8mp, and i will try the 5mp of his Neo V on Play, if it works, so should the 8mp too.

In Xperia S it´s a new line up, but the software seems the same, if the conecctors are the same and since your warranty is gone, you could give it a go.

But still, i would search for the original since it´s 12mp, going to 8mp it´s a long downgrade.

Drakenfall

Jun 10, 2010
Well, i already checked a camera module from Arc and Neo, none fits the Play, only hope is the Ray or Mini could fit.