[Q] Digitizer not working after reassembly

Search This thread

Ening

May 14, 2014
Hi everyone.
So i tried to replace the cracked screen in a Moto G (I just replaced the display+digitizer+glass module). After the reassembly everything worked except for the digitizer (it worked before when i tested it). I tried to reconnect the digitizer connector (the tiny one which connects the digitizer controller to the display connector ) multiple times, but nothing worked. Has anyone faced a similar problem before?

Last edited:

agnobi

Dec 31, 2009
Hi everyone.
So i tried to replace the cracked screen in a Moto G (I just replaced the display+digitizer+glass module). After the reassembly everything worked except for the digitizer (it worked before when i tested it). I tried to reconnect the digitizer connector (the tiny one which connects the digitizer controller to the display connector ) multiple times, but nothing worked. Has anyone faced a similar problem before?

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.

In my case, it's my second screen, so I've already eliminated the screen+digitizer and the cable connector like the origin of the problem.

Has anyone any idea?

Thanks!

PS: Ening, did you get to solve your issue?

Last edited:

Ening

May 14, 2014
much sad

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.

In my case, it's my second screen, so I've already eliminated the screen+digitizer and the cable connector like the origin of the problem.

Has anyone any idea?

Thanks!

PS: Ening, did you get to solve your issue?

Bad news. My digitizer cable is damaged. On both original phone and the donor. I was not careful enough: the closer inspection showed it. I am going to order another screen or a donor phone (like a used verizon one or something) and try it again.

So the thing is that the video on etradesupply shows it wrong. You have to unstick the tape covering the digitizer cable connector, then unsnap the clicky thing, and only after that should you unplug the screen master cable (the one that goes into your PCB). Otherwise, it is very easy to damage the touchscreen controller cable (the digitizer one).

I really hope you have a different problem and there is still hope for your phone :crying:

Last edited:

agnobi

Dec 31, 2009
Bad news. My digitizer cable is damaged. On both original phone and the donor. I was not careful enough: the closer inspection showed it. I am going to order another screen or a donor phone (like a used verizon one or something) and try it again.

So the thing is that the video on etradesupply shows it wrong. You have to unstick the tape covering the digitizer cable connector, then unsnap the clicky thing, and only after that should you unplug the screen master cable (the one that goes into your PCB). Otherwise, it is very easy to damage the touchscreen controller cable (the digitizer one).

I really hope you have a different problem and there is still hope for your phone :crying:

Hi Ening,

How do you check the veracity of the cable connector failure? I think I have the same problem than you, but I haven't a way to check it 100%, because I haven't anyone who can lend other screen to me, and the original screen it's now completely destroyed.

I suppose that I will have to send back the screen to the seller and ask for another.

Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

Ening

May 14, 2014
Hi Ening,

How do you check the veracity of the cable connector failure? I think I have the same problem than you, but I haven't a way to check it 100%, because I haven't anyone who can lend other screen to me, and the original screen it's now completely destroyed.

I suppose that I will have to send back the screen to the seller and ask for another.

Thanks anyway!

Hi, i gave the phones to a guy in a repair shop and he looked at it through a magnifying glass :)

kyle77680

Feb 9, 2011
Me too :(
The new digitizer doesn't work and now the 'old' digitizer dosn't work anymore :(
Everyone has found an solution ?

Last edited:

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
Me too :(
The new digitizer doesn't work and now the 'old' digitizer dosn't work anymore :(
Everyone has found an solution ?

The flex cable part that connects the controller to the rest of the cable is very thin and easy to damage, you've to be very careful or you're gonna screw it (like the OP did).
ofcourse there is a slight possibility that it came defective, but you should have checked it right when it arrived. So far I haven't seen any incomparable ones, but who knows.....

denseye

Feb 22, 2009
The flex cable part that connects the controller to the rest of the cable is very thin and easy to damage, you've to be very careful or you're gonna screw it (like the OP did).
ofcourse there is a slight possibility that it came defective, but you should have checked it right when it arrived. So far I haven't seen any incomparable ones, but who knows.....

I think there is something else.
On my side, the 3 digitizers (old one + 2 new) give me same result.
The I think the problem should be on the mainboard or a hardware/software blocking ... or maybe something we didn't re-assemble well :confused:

and little question : what is the role of this part (see my photo) ???

Last edited:

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
I think there is something else.
On my side, the 3 digitizers (old one + 2 new) give me same result.
The I think the problem should be on the mainboard or a hardware/software blocking ... or maybe something we didn't re-assemble well :confused:

and little question : what is the role of this part (see my photo) ???

Probably the last :>
That thin metal plate makes connections on the back of the PCB (its mounted right between the display and the PCB) and I think it connects to mass.I got no idea what it's role is (prolly its a fitting or some sort of heatspreader).I've assembled one phone without it and it worked just fine, but I've put it back afterwards, just for the sake of being complete :)

kyle77680

Feb 9, 2011
and your digitizer works fine ?

I think also that the issue comes from the connection PCB-patch or as you said software digitizer blocking.

So I 'll try to flash a retail rom to see it .... ...... The digitizer still not working :(

Last edited:

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com

I think also that the issue comes from the connection PCB-patch or as you said software digitizer blocking.

So I 'll try to flash a retail rom to see it .... ...... The digitizer still not working :(

I've replaced 9 digitizers on 9 different moto g's.None of em had any kind of these problems.This leads me to the conclusion that you've done something wrong.
The worst I had is 1 dead pixel on one of the new displays ( I'm using digitizer+display+frame assembly ).

denseye

Feb 22, 2009
I've replaced 9 digitizers on 9 different moto g's.None of em had any kind of these problems.This leads me to the conclusion that you've done something wrong.
The worst I had is 1 dead pixel on one of the new displays ( I'm using digitizer+display+frame assembly ).

very interesting your experience ...

the strange thing is that we are several persons to have the same problem and the same symptoms ...:silly:

kyle77680

Feb 9, 2011
I've unsnapped the connector as they said in the video of etradesupply...
Maybe I've forgotten something.... you have followed this video ?

Edit :My screens are working except for the digitizer.

Last edited:

denseye

Feb 22, 2009
I've unsnapped the connector as they said in the video of etradesupply...
Maybe I've forgotten something.... you have followed this video ?

I've followed this same video...
I don't see what I could have done wrong :(
liveroy : you never expected that black screen problem ?

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

I've also reflashed a stock ROM ... no change

so it's not software/firmware related ...

so it's hardware

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
Never, all worked the first time and afaik they are still working fine.Gotta mention that the ones I`ve used are chinise ones, but look and feel like the original, even the glass feels like gorilla glass 3, altough I don't believe that's the case :>

Clarkiieh

Mar 13, 2013
OnePlus 6T
I have a huge scratch down my screen and the local mobile repairing guy quoted £55 to replace.. I thought this was a bit steep.. I expect him to use real gorrila glass 3 @ that price

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Free mobile app

kyle77680

Feb 9, 2011
finally I've just fix my digitizer :)
It was 1 or 2 pin twisted on the right so there wasn't a contact between the PCB and the patch....

denseye I think your black screen can be fixed, you may see the pin on the left...." Bon courage " PM me if you have questions....

I've got now my earpiece which crackle but I thinks I'll not try to fix it....

Good night

kyle77680

Feb 9, 2011
A pin means a spindle which links the patch(LCD câble) to the PCB.There are many pins which compose thé connector.

(Yeah I'm french :) and i've sent you a MP.... "Dur dur le correcteur ortho ...")