Extract SMS on WP7

Search This thread

Thornton

Apr 26, 2008
It already contains a English translation :)

On the first page of the app (the one with the back and forward buttons) popup the menu, and select the second last menu item.
The number 2 dropdown on the new page is the language. Set to english, click the button below and restart app - Voila, English SMS backup... :)

It doesnt work on my Samsung Focus S/ Omnia W but that is a different story

rudelm

Jun 27, 2011
nope, it isn't yet possible without interop-unlock. You cannot escape your isolated storage without the tricks used in the provxml application used in SMSBackup.

Is this BackupVols.xml just a plaintext xml file? I cannot look into it with my Nokia because of the lack of interop-unlock :(

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
Halfway there

It is possible to get them onto pc using touchxplorer, but difficult to put back on phone at the moment on our hd2s, using BTTF rom. It might be possible using a fully unlocked ROM like HD2owner or pdamatejam, I haven't tried them;)

yes, thats right. on pdaimatejam i can can just copy the files onto my pc with windows file explorer.
which is good enough for backup/restore.
well, i say just copy, but only after some windows 7 registry hacking so that my HD2 appears in devices:
http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2...a-windows-phone-7-device-in-windows-explorer/

WPDM didnt help as it couldnt see the hidden Microsoft folder. it only showed up as 'file'

so using the BackupSMS on WP7 exported my SMS to an xml file which i could manipulate in to a format that SMS Backup & Restore could read into Android.
so, thats half the story.
so how about Android->WP7... anyone?

Last edited:

Gray.Fox

Mar 1, 2011
yes, thats right. on pdaimatejam i can can just copy the files onto my pc with windows file explorer.
which is good enough for backup/restore.
well, i say just copy, but only after some windows 7 registry hacking so that my HD2 appears in devices:
http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2...a-windows-phone-7-device-in-windows-explorer/

WPDM didnt help as it couldnt see the hidden Microsoft folder. it only showed up as 'file'

so using the BackupSMS on WP7 exported my SMS to an xml file which i could manipulate in to a format that SMS Backup & Restore could read into Android.
so, thats half the story.
so how about Android->WP7... anyone?

:eek::eek::eek:

let me get it right
you manage to export SMS from WP7 to android ??????????????????
please confirm if this is what you achieved
i'm dying trying to move my SMS from my HD7 to any android device without any luck

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
as i said in my post really.
i used SMS Backup (it was already in the rom) and exported to an xml and on to skydrive.
then got the file from skydrive and use UltraEdit (expensive but i use it every day at the office) to change the file into the format for Android SMS Backup & Restore to read in. (open up an existing saved message file to see the format required).
there is a web page around somewhere which i used when going from winmo 6.5 to Android.
otherwise you need a good text editor that can work in column mode.
for only a few messages you can do it by hand but it is not that easy.
i have seen perl scripts to do the same thing manipulating files.

yes, i can be done that way WP7--> Android

personally i consider this invaluable for changing phones and os's and wouldnt M$ have so many more potential converts if they could say "just simply transfer your Android/WinMo 6 (isnt that M$ too?)/Nokia data, messages and call logs and come over to WP7"
instead of locking the whole thing down like a childs toy
my 2c
(gets down off soap box ;) )

p.s. this was only my second (maybe last?) day of using WP7. i dont know much more than this, i am still reading ;)

Last edited:

Gray.Fox

Mar 1, 2011
as i said in my post really.
i used SMS Backup (it was already in the rom) and exported to an xml and on to skydrive.
then got the file from skydrive and use UltraEdit (expensive but i use it every day at the office) to change the file into the format for Android SMS Backup & Restore to read in. (open up an existing saved message file to see the format required).
there is a web page around somewhere which i used when going from winmo 6.5 to Android.
otherwise you need a good text editor that can work in column mode.
for only a few messages you can do it by hand but it is not that easy.
i have seen perl scripts to do the same thing manipulating files.

yes, i can be done that way WP7--> Android

personally i consider this invaluable for changing phones and os's and wouldnt M$ have so many more potential converts if they could say "just simply transfer your Android/WinMo 6 (isnt that M$ too?)/Nokia data, messages and call logs and come over to WP7"
instead of locking the whole thing down like a childs toy
my 2c
(gets down off soap box ;) )

p.s. this was only my second (maybe last?) day of using WP7. i dont know much more than this, i am still reading ;)

you are soo lucky
AFAIK only SMS Backup xap can export SMS to XML
i can't install SMS backup without flashing my phone
i never flashed a phone but i think flashing will erase all data on the phone
HD7
OS version : 7.10.7720.68
Hardware Version: 0002
Firmware Version : 2250.09.16901.401
Radio S/W version : 5.71.09.02a_22.51.50.21u
Radio H/W version : A.12.0.D4
Bootloader Version : 5.10.2250.0(132968)
Chip SOC Version : 2.2.5.0

is there any any any way of exporting my SMS ?
a hint is really appreciated

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello there,

just for your info - maybe it helps somebody:

after some days of trying i found the shortmessages (with tel-number etc.) and some other stuff in a file:

1. Explore your phone with Windows Phone Device Manager

2. goto \Application Data\

3. Add "\Microsoft" to the path (under the file-explorer logo)

4. goto Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore

5. Rename "store.vol" to something like "store.vol.txt" (it is mandatory to rename this file - without this step the file is in use by outlook)

6. extract it (drag n drop)

7. run perl script (#perl test.pl store.vol.txt)

8. See output

Maybe one of you could build a backup application or something like that!

Link to perl script:
    http://uploaded.to/file/he26q0d2

Original source of script:
    http://www.pocketpcjunkies.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/pocketpc-dev/21040/Reading-pim-vol-EDB-File-on-a-PC

Edit:
    Don't know if you've seen it:

\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\data

ALL emails and other messages + contact-pictures + signature (three sizes) (just edit the file extension to .html or .jpeg - hex edit helps to find what is right ;) )

\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

-> TabsStorage.bin: Opened tabs from internet explorer (where are the cookies?! :) )

\Applications\Data\82A23635-5BD9-DF11-A844-00237DE2DB9E\Data\IsolatedStore

ALL Facebook-Information (if app is installed), including messages, pictures, notifications etc. etc.

\Application Data\Location\Cache

Wifi & GSM Data when features is enabled in WP7-preferences (encrypted?! don't know..)

Much more to come... ;)

greets
    endeffekt
    Backup and Restore your SMS

Hi guys!

I managed to backup and restore my SMS without any problems.

The only thing is, that you need a file explorer to do it, so restoring to, or backuping from Mango isn't possible at this time (or is there a file explorer for mango?).

Here is how I've done it:

As endeffekt wrote, you need to copy the files store.vol and the PimIndex.vol from \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore

Therefor you need to access your phone with the Windows Phone Device Manager.

1. Open Windows Phone Device Manager

2. Click on "Explore files and folders"
    attachment.php

3. Copy this path \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore and paste it to the navigation bar.
    attachment.php

4. Now you see store.vol and PimIndex.vol

5. Rename both files (for example to store.vol.txt and PimIndex.vol.txt) and copy them to your PC. Without renaming the files you can't copy them.
    attachment.php

6. To restore, copy them back to your phone (be sure that they are still renamed!!!)

7. Rename the files to their original and your done :)

To be sure, you can backup and restore the Data folder, too. But for me it worked without the Data folder.
    Don't know if you've seen it:

\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Stores\DeviceStore\data

ALL emails and other messages + contact-pictures + signature (three sizes) (just edit the file extension to .html or .jpeg - hex edit helps to find what is right )

\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

-> TabsStorage.bin: Opened tabs from internet explorer (where are the cookies?! )

\Applications\Data\82A23635-5BD9-DF11-A844-00237DE2DB9E\Data\IsolatedStore

ALL Facebook-Information (if app is installed), including messages, pictures, notifications etc. etc.

\Application Data\Location\Cache

Wifi & GSM Data when features is enabled in WP7-preferences (encrypted?! don't know..)
    Not actually Mango itself (as in, 7720.68) but actually an HTC update which was slipstreamed into the Mango update for most HTC users. If you got Mango as part of a non-standard update path, like coming from beta to RTM, the harmful HTC update was separate and could be canceled.
    Is it possible to save store.vol on PC and after re-install the rom to put it back on the phone and to recover old messages?
    It is possible to get them onto pc using touchxplorer, but difficult to put back on phone at the moment on our hd2s, using BTTF rom. It might be possible using a fully unlocked ROM like HD2owner or pdamatejam, I haven't tried them;)