I777 has broken power button and stuck at white AT&T screen.

Search This thread

Berlinetta

Nov 10, 2013
Baltimore
Hi everyone!

I finally decided to root my (old) Galaxy S2.

Sadly, just when I turn it on, it's stuck at the white AT&T screen with the AT&T logo in the center. I've tried everything with taking battery out and whatnot.

I also tried recovery mode with the Vol + and - buttons.

I believe the power button is jammed as my phone automatically turns on when the battery is placed in it. Because of this, I can't even use it in recovery mode. I also searched on the forums that many people have issues with the power button not functioning correctly, but for some reason, I can only take apart half the phone-- as in the plastic piece that covers up all the circuitry underneath, half of it stays on, stuck to it.

Could someone please me out here? I'd definitely like to be able to use my S2 as more of an iPod as I'm using an LG G2.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here!

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
When inserting the battery turns the phone on, it means that the power button has failed. It needs to be replaced for the phone to be fully useful. It is not the type or repair that can easily and practically be done at home, as it requires some specialized soldering equipment. You can send it out for repair. Mobile Tech Videos in LA will do the repair for $40.00 including return shipping. There is an ebay seller in the Chicago area that will do it for around $32.00 including return shipping. The ebay seller has a youtube video of the repair process which you can watch to see what it takes.

To get the phone going without a power button, proceed as follows:

Use Odin3 v1.85 to install the stock Gingerbread UCKH7 full distribituon from the Download Repository. (This is assuming that the phone is currently running a later version of the operating system, or you don't know which os for sure. You need Gingerbread to be able to complete the next step.)

Next, use Odin3 v1.85 to install the Siyah Gingerbread kernel v2.6.14. Download the tar version to flash in Odin. This kernel contains a touch recovery which will allow you to enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset, so do that next. The phone should now boot into the system.

From the Siyah Gingerbread kernel you can flash the firmware of your choice. Make sure you select a firmware that has a kernel with a touch recovery.

There are apps such as smart screen on that will allow you to turn the display on and off without the power button.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, please ask.

Berlinetta

Nov 10, 2013
Baltimore
Thanks for the response!

I decided to not replace the lock button circuitry, and just use an alternative app that root will allow.

During this process, will my data be deleted? I have quite a lot of pictures and other texts on it that I'd like to save. I was an idiot for not transferring them out before I got my new device.

Also, I am on 4.2.2 TouchWiz... Should I be weary of anything else on the S2?

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks for the response!

I decided to not replace the lock button circuitry, and just use an alternative app that root will allow.

During this process, will my data be deleted? I have quite a lot of pictures and other texts on it that I'd like to save. I was an idiot for not transferring them out before I got my new device.

I think you must mean 4.1.2 TouchWiz, as that is the latest stock Samsung distribution for the SII. Would that be stock UCMD8, or SHOstock3? What kernel do you have installed? If you have SHOstock3 with the Jebo kernel, that is a touch recovery, and you should be able to enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset to get your phone to boot into the system. The stock kernel of course does not have touch, so it will not be possible in the stock kernel.

You won't lose your pictures. You will lose any text messages if that is what you mean by other texts. Basically, the data partition will be cleared, but the sd card will remain intact. So, anything that you have on the sd card will still be there.

If you install the stock Gingerbread, you will lose everything that is normally in the data partition, all installed applications, text messages, contacts, memos, etc. as they will be overwritten. Performing a wipe data/factory reset also deletes them.

Berlinetta

Nov 10, 2013
Baltimore
I think you must mean 4.1.2 TouchWiz, as that is the latest stock Samsung distribution for the SII. Would that be stock UCMD8, or SHOstock3? What kernel do you have installed? If you have SHOstock3 with the Jebo kernel, that is a touch recovery, and you should be able to enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset to get your phone to boot into the system. The stock kernel of course does not have touch, so it will not be possible in the stock kernel.

You won't lose your pictures. You will lose any text messages if that is what you mean by other texts. Basically, the data partition will be cleared, but the sd card will remain intact. So, anything that you have on the sd card will still be there.

If you install the stock Gingerbread, you will lose everything that is normally in the data partition, all installed applications, text messages, contacts, memos, etc. as they will be overwritten. Performing a wipe data/factory reset also deletes them.

I think my 4.1.2 is stock. I haven't done anything to it.

I have a 2GB Micro-SD card in the S2, but the majority of my pictures are on the phone memory.

I really would like to root my S2 without losing my pictures and whatnot.

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010

I have a 2GB Micro-SD card in the S2, but the majority of my pictures are on the phone memory.

You can safely follow my instructions without losing your pictures. Performing a wipe data/factory reset will wipe the data partition, but it will not touch the USB memory, also commonly referred to as the internal sdcard. Below, I will give some additional instructions, in case you need them.

Use Odin3 v1.85 to install the stock Gingerbread UCKH7 full distribituon from the Download Repository. (This is assuming that the phone is currently running a later version of the operating system, or you don't know which os for sure. You need Gingerbread to be able to complete the next step.)

If you are unfamiliar with using Odin, I can post a set of detailed instructions. You can download Odin3 v1.85 from a link in the Download Repository. (see my signature) When you open Odin on the pc desktop, uncheck the Auto Reboot item so that the only two check boxes that will be checked are F. Reset Time, and the one nest to the PDA slot, where you will put the firmware ---.tar.md5 file. After the flash is successful, pull the battery to turn the phone off, then proceed with the next step.

Next, use Odin3 v1.85 to install the Siyah Gingerbread kernel v2.6.14. Download the tar version to flash in Odin. This kernel contains a touch recovery which will allow you to enter recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset, so do that next. The phone should now boot into the system.

Again, leave Auto Reboot unchecked. After the flash is successful, pull the battery to turn the phone off, then boot into recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset. Since this is a touch recovery, you can select items and do all the other functions with screen gestures, so you don't need the power button. After you perform the wipe data/factory reset, the phone should boot into system successfully. At this point, it would be a good idea to copy all your pictures onto your PC as a backup so that you don't lose them.

From the Siyah Gingerbread kernel you can flash the firmware of your choice. Make sure you select a firmware that has a kernel with a touch recovery.

At this point, picking a custom firmware that is already rooted, such as SHOstock3 v4.0 and flashing it from within the Siyah CWM recovery would be the easiest and most sensible way to proceed.

Alternatively, if you want stock, you can use Odin to flash the latest stock 4.1.2, I777UCMD8 which you can download from the download repository, and then root the phone with Framaroot using the Aragorn exploit.

Berlinetta

Nov 10, 2013
Baltimore
You can safely follow my instructions without losing your pictures. Performing a wipe data/factory reset will wipe the data partition, but it will not touch the USB memory, also commonly referred to as the internal sdcard. Below, I will give some additional instructions, in case you need them.

If you are unfamiliar with using Odin, I can post a set of detailed instructions. You can download Odin3 v1.85 from a link in the Download Repository. (see my signature) When you open Odin on the pc desktop, uncheck the Auto Reboot item so that the only two check boxes that will be checked are F. Reset Time, and the one nest to the PDA slot, where you will put the firmware ---.tar.md5 file. After the flash is successful, pull the battery to turn the phone off, then proceed with the next step.

Again, leave Auto Reboot unchecked. After the flash is successful, pull the battery to turn the phone off, then boot into recovery and perform a wipe data/factory reset. Since this is a touch recovery, you can select items and do all the other functions with screen gestures, so you don't need the power button. After you perform the wipe data/factory reset, the phone should boot into system successfully. At this point, it would be a good idea to copy all your pictures onto your PC as a backup so that you don't lose them.

At this point, picking a custom firmware that is already rooted, such as SHOstock3 v4.0 and flashing it from within the Siyah CWM recovery would be the easiest and most sensible way to proceed.

Alternatively, if you want stock, you can use Odin to flash the latest stock 4.1.2, I777UCMD8 which you can download from the download repository, and then root the phone with Framaroot using the Aragorn exploit.

Yes, I would like a detailed instruction on using Odin.

Do I turn the S2 on just by keeping the battery in, then connecting to my PC?

Also, where do I get this tar.md5 file?

Update: Phone finally passed the white AT&T logo screen. Phone is really laggy and seems to have reset my logins and whatnot...

Last edited:

creepyncrawly

Sep 3, 2010

Update: Phone finally passed the white AT&T logo screen. Phone is really laggy and seems to have reset my logins and whatnot...

Go to the Download Repository. At near the top of the page, you can find a link to download Odin3 v1.85. Download that to your PC. Then, download "I777UCKH7-REV02-home-low-CL503881.tar.md5.7z" from the section titled I777UCKH7-CL503881 Stock Binaries. I think it the fifth section down from the top. Use an archiving program to extract the ...tar.md5 file from the archive. This is the first file you will use to flash in the PDA slot in step 7. There is a link to the kernel that you will need to flash second in my previous post. In this set of instructions, you start with the phone off. You should be able to pull the battery and put it back in without the phone turning on again. If you have any other questions, just ask.

How to use stand-alone Odin3 to flash firmware:

Follow and recheck each of the following steps. Do them in order listed, as some steps are dependent on previous steps. Instructions are for Odin3 v1.85. It should work with any version of Odin, but some details, like color of items, may be different.

1.) Open Odin on the Windows Desktop.
2.) Have the USB cable plugged into USB port on the computer, but *Not* plugged in to the phone.
3.) Shut the phone off.
4.) While holding down the vol+ & vol- keys, plug micro-usb plug into phone.
5.) In Odin, you should get the yellow box under where it says ID:COM with the text 0:[COMx], and in the Message area, <ID:0/00x> Added!! where x is some number, usually 1-8.
6.) In Odin, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and all other items are not checked.
7.) Click on the PDA button. Browse to the tar file you want to install and select it so its path appears in the text edit box next to the button.
8.) Make sure the check box next to the PDA button is checked.
9.) Click the Start button.
10.) You should see the green progress bar advancing.
11.) When complete, you will get a PASS (or FAIL if unsuccessful).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When inserting the battery turns the phone on, it means that the power button has failed. It needs to be replaced for the phone to be fully useful. It is not the type or repair that can easily and practically be done at home, as it requires some specialized soldering equipment. You can send it out for repair. Mobile Tech Videos in LA will do the repair for $40.00 including return shipping. There is an ebay seller in the Chicago area that will do it for around $32.00 including return shipping. The ebay seller has a youtube video of the repair process which you can watch to see what it takes.

To get the phone going without a power button, proceed as follows:

There are apps such as smart screen on that will allow you to turn the display on and off without the power button.

Hope this helps. If you have questions, please ask.
    Thanks for the response!

Go to the Download Repository. At near the top of the page, you can find a link to download Odin3 v1.85. Download that to your PC. Then, download "I777UCKH7-REV02-home-low-CL503881.tar.md5.7z" from the section titled I777UCKH7-CL503881 Stock Binaries. I think it the fifth section down from the top. Use an archiving program to extract the ...tar.md5 file from the archive. This is the first file you will use to flash in the PDA slot in step 7. There is a link to the kernel that you will need to flash second in my previous post. In this set of instructions, you start with the phone off. You should be able to pull the battery and put it back in without the phone turning on again. If you have any other questions, just ask.

How to use stand-alone Odin3 to flash firmware:

Follow and recheck each of the following steps. Do them in order listed, as some steps are dependent on previous steps. Instructions are for Odin3 v1.85. It should work with any version of Odin, but some details, like color of items, may be different.

1.) Open Odin on the Windows Desktop.
    2.) Have the USB cable plugged into USB port on the computer, but *Not* plugged in to the phone.
    3.) Shut the phone off.
    4.) While holding down the vol+ & vol- keys, plug micro-usb plug into phone.
    5.) In Odin, you should get the yellow box under where it says ID:COM with the text 0:[COMx], and in the Message area, <ID:0/00x> Added!! where x is some number, usually 1-8.
    6.) In Odin, make sure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and all other items are not checked.
    7.) Click on the PDA button. Browse to the tar file you want to install and select it so its path appears in the text edit box next to the button.
    8.) Make sure the check box next to the PDA button is checked.
    9.) Click the Start button.
    10.) You should see the green progress bar advancing.
    11.) When complete, you will get a PASS (or FAIL if unsuccessful).