Edited /system? Here's how to get the OTA to apply.

Search This thread

G2reboots

Oct 31, 2010
well, after making some assumptions and leaps of faith here's what i did:

placed a folder I called "revert4OTA" (name is irrelevant) into C:\

booted phone in fastboot (phone unplugged, hold the action key (trackball) and push power until it lights up) THEN connect USB - Windows 7 installed drivers automatically.

So I just opened the command prompt, navigated to my "revert4OTA" folder and then typed the commands - phone reflashed as promised and I am setting it up just like new. Hope I can finish with applying the OTA update.

THANKS!

P.S. when you type, make sure it's one line (i set it up in notepad and pasted into command prompt - you will need it 2 times:

fastboot-windows flash zip PC10IMG_Vision_TMOUS_1.19.531.1_Radio_12.21.60.09b_26.02.01.15_M2_release_149459_signed.zip

Last edited:

TL24

Oct 2, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ok.... After applying it twice it looks like it finished from what i can see in cmd (says "OKAY")... But when i type in "fastboot reboot" in the cmd nothing happens?? what am i doin' wrong here? am i supposed to pull the battery and do another "fastboot" session or what? Help!

Last edited:

ckhammer

Oct 15, 2010
When I run fastboot-windows.exe on my computer I just get a quick flash of a black screen and then nothing.

Nevermind kinda went a different route and put the orginal rom on the root of the sdcard and named it to pc10img.zip and the booted into fastboot and then bootloader. It then flashed the zip, took a few min. Than put OTA on root of sd and named it to update.zip and entered into recovery and selected apply sdcard : update.zip. All went well. Actually is now booting for the first time havent even played with new system yet. Thanks for all the hard work that you devs do though. You make these phones bada$$.

Thanks that worked wonders. :)

martx

Jan 14, 2010
Dallas
Alright, I've tried doing this via fastboot through my computer with no luck, I've tried renaming the stock rom to PC10IMG.zip and flashing it via fastboot on my phone. Neither of these methods are working for me, anyone want to hit me up on gtalk? pm me for gtalk.

----------------------------------
I guess I was getting bad files, just dled the stock rom and flashing it now, seems to be working great.

Last edited:

sinistersai4d4d

Oct 21, 2009
I'm pissed.

So I can't just restore my phone to factory settings or something?

I have to jump through 80 hoops just to install the update? That's what I get for using the Google Goggles Remover.

Does this mean the OTA wont work for me assuming I ever get it?

sinistersai4d4d

Oct 21, 2009
I'll continue to refer back to my post at the bottom of page 2. It walks you step-by-step to flash the original ROM back onto your phone, and thus reverse the removal of Google Goggles. I have little to no experience in programming, DOS, etc.; so no, it doesn't take a developer to do this. If you need additional help, continue posting here for the benefit of others or PM me.

So this is done from a computer? NOt the phone? Will a mac work or I need windows?

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Either way works and if your doing the fastboot method, yes you need to be on a computer. If you want to do the bootloader method which worked for me just get the stock rom download. Rename it pc10img.zip. throw it on the root of your sd card. Then boot into bootloader and your phone should automatically start the stock update. This will wipe your phone.

[G2/HTC Vision]

sinistersai4d4d

Oct 21, 2009
Either way works and if your doing the fastboot method, yes you need to be on a computer. If you want to do the bootloader method which worked for me just get the stock rom download. Rename it pc10img.zip. throw it on the root of your sd card. Then boot into bootloader and your phone should automatically start the stock update. This will wipe your phone.

[G2/HTC Vision]

No Image!

No Image or wrong Image!

screenshot20101104at124.jpg

Last edited:

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
And you have it at the root of your sd card right? The main sdcard folder? Not in a sub folder? Because that worked for me. Also try lowercaps when you name it to pc10img.zip

[G2/HTC Vision]

sinistersai4d4d

Oct 21, 2009
And you have it at the root of your sd card right? The main sdcard folder? Not in a sub folder? Because that worked for me. Also try lowercaps when you name it to pc10img.zip

[G2/HTC Vision]
Just tried it with the lowercase letters still doesn't reboot after checking the image...

I get this and some more stuff similar as you can see in the photo above..

"sd checking
loading ... pc10diag.zip
no image"

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Are you editing the rom file from your computer or your device? If its on your pc just as the user stated above make sure its just name pc10img. No .zip. if its from your device you need the .zip at the end.

[G2/HTC Vision]

sinistersai4d4d

Oct 21, 2009
Are you editing the rom file from your computer or your device? If its on your pc just as the user stated above make sure its just name pc10img. No .zip. if its from your device you need the .zip at the end.

[G2/HTC Vision]

In astro the file just says pc10img (no zip) When I go to rename the file with astro it says .zip is already attached to it. Also the icon in astro is a archive/zip icon so I'm sure that only ONE .zip is there.

sinistersai4d4d

Oct 21, 2009
Name it .zip in astro. Try that.

[G2/HTC Vision]

This time I redownloaded the image directly from my phone and renamed it in Astro. This was the same file i orginally transferred via USB.

Now it is actually updating the stock image! Thanks for the help...

Now I still lose all my settings (although I made a titanium backup so I'm wondering if that will restore everythign). Plus I have to flash the OTA still and attempt to regain root access... Hate starting from scratch every time... but at least I should be able to have the update now.

Lesson learned: Don't download any apps if they appear to edit the system folder. This would have been avoided with a simple app warning... in my eyes thats pretty irresponsible, if not malicious.

Davidion

Oct 22, 2010
Hmmm, running into the following error
"E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(status 7)"

while trying the direct OTA update mentioned at MoDaCo below. It looks like it's failing at the system verification phase.

"You can also grab the OTA directly from here, put it on the sdcard as update.zip then apply it by turning on your device with 'volume down' pressed, selecting recovery, pressing volume up and power when the icon appears onscreen and selecting 'apply update zip'.

P"

The link is to e4aaacea73af.OTA_Vision_TMUS_1.22.531.8-1.1.19.531.1_release_signed.zip

Did anyone else run into this? I'd really like to get the OTA installed without wiping all of my settings. Not a very nice side effect of applying the goggles remover. haha

Last edited: