***Easiest Method for Keeping Root Thru the ZV8 Update***

Search This thread

haxerpaylay

Oct 25, 2010
Houston
Explain "incapable of getting the bat file to run". What is happening?

Sent from my Revo 4g using XDA Premium App

Its keeps telling me unable to find device, just goes through every step saying that can't find device. I have followed every step and am stuck. Thus is my girls phone so I only have access to it when I'm with her.

Devices:

Motorola DroidX
Motorola Droid
Motorola Cliq
Asus Transformer
Lg Revolution

haxerpaylay™

haxerpaylay

Oct 25, 2010
Houston
OK I guess I did miss something, iv read a lot about doing something to the build.prop, I didn't change it. But I followed all the other steps though and I am stuck at rooted stock, unable to boot into cwm. Is there a way to still get into cwm?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Torin_93

Jun 14, 2011
Finally after a couple of days working at this,I got root AND cwm! Thanks MT Broken out is smooth as ever! Now about to try the beats port and blitz 3.0

haxerpaylay

Oct 25, 2010
Houston
Finally after a couple of days working at this,I got root AND cwm! Thanks MT Broken out is smooth as ever! Now about to try the beats port and blitz 3.0

How did you get the cwm to work? Will never work for me?

Devices:

Motorola DroidX
Motorola Droid
Motorola Cliq
Asus Transformer
Lg Revolution

haxerpaylay™

trybal057

Dec 26, 2010
please help

i flashed the zv7 to zv8 zip, updated to zv8, all was well,.... then i got cwm from market, flashed it, tried to install broken out thru cwm, phone rebooted to lg splashscreen and is now stuck, any help would be awesome

cu-n-az

Aug 30, 2010
Mesa, AZ
It appears that there is a ZV9 OTA out now. I have frozen Software Update until we know more about it. Will you be updating this to allow the ZV9 while keeping root?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

elreydotcom

Aug 14, 2011
It appears that there is a ZV9 OTA out now. I have frozen Software Update until we know more about it. Will you be updating this to allow the ZV9 while keeping root?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

There is another root method that works for zv8 and the zv9 update don't have the link right now but it was made for the esteem. It's in the dev section somewhere

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium

saj1jr

May 30, 2011
Easiest way to keep root through ZV8???

I've read 40 posts and it's nothing but complaints and troubles.

This doesn't even seem worth the effort if I have to go through 30 other steps to get the phone to work.

Also, it would be nice if OP would update OP to include fixes that are mentioned throughout the thread, instead of having to read through the whole thing to fix things.

Just a note I thought I'd add.

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH

This doesn't even seem worth the effort if I have to go through 30 other steps to get the phone to work.

Also, it would be nice if OP would update OP to include fixes that are mentioned throughout the thread, instead of having to read through the whole thing to fix things.

Look at the link above. That 1 Click Method will root V8 and V9 and you don't have to downgrade. Cwm to follow..

mtmichaelson

Apr 5, 2009
Mt. Juliet, TN

OP doesn't have this phone anymore and is still helping out when I can. Do you want it gift wrapped for you while I'm at it? It is best for you to read the whole thread anyway. I don't see what can be easier to keep root through an update than being on zv7, flashing a zip in cwm, and updating to zv8 and having root.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

haxerpaylay

Oct 25, 2010
Houston
OP doesn't have this phone anymore and is still helping out when I can. Do you want it gift wrapped for you while I'm at it? It is best for you to read the whole thread anyway. I don't see what can be easier to keep root through an update than being on zv7, flashing a zip in cwm, and updating to zv8 and having root.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

The root worked for me. Thanks mt for all your hard work! I hate my girls revolution but you make it 100 times better!

Devices:

Motorola DroidX
Motorola Droid
Motorola Cliq
Asus Transformer
Lg Revolution

www.teendroid.com

MeshiaSamurai

Oct 15, 2011
I have updated and am rooted with ZV8. I ran the .bat file to get CWM, and this is what it tells me:

CWM For the LG Revolution
Tool Built by mtmichaelson
Exploit Built by the djrbliss

Recovery for ZV8
Press any key to continue . . .
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
error: more than one device and emulator
Device found
Mounting Device
Pushing Recovery
Installing CWM Recovery
Remove Trash
CWM Recovery!!!

I tried rebooting to recovery using option 2, but got a similar message. Any ideas?

Nevermind! I figured it out. haha! I am an idiot....

Works great! Thanks MT!

Last edited:

The Kraken!

Jun 16, 2012
So, please forgive me for what I imagine are worse than n00b questions, but...

I've seen people saying data should be wiped before flashing the zip file mt provided (I'm assuming flashing the zip means selecting "install zip from sdcard", right?), but in CWM Recovery I see two wipe options. One is terrifyingly labeled "wipe data/factory reset" (sounds to my ignorant ears as if this would undo everything I've done up to this point, but what do I know?) and the other is labeled "wipe cache partition" (which is the one I'm inclined to choose). Am I right in my assumptions here?

Thanks,
An Ubern00b (subn00b?)

P.S.
I'm thinking of writing a true hand-holding guide to this process once I've successfully gotten to v8 w/ root and BO. While I imagine this is a cakewalk for anyone practiced in rooting/rom'ing, for someone who's truly unfamiliar with this kind of thing, pulling all the pieces together and doing all the preparation and steps and doing them in the right order is actually not so easy. Partially because there is bad info out there on other forums. For instance, I was told flashing CWM on the Revo using the Esteem option would work. FML...:(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please Read Full Post Before Posting Any Questions!!! If You Ask A Question That Is Answered In This Post, It Will Not Get Answered!!!

Alrighty Boys and Girls!!! I have tried to make this as easy as possible for what we have!!! First and foremost, this will NOT root if you are already on ZV8!!!

Prerequisites
    Pretty easy, you need ANY form of ZV7 (By any that includes stock, GingerVolt, Blitzkrieg, self modified, whatever) and CWM. Also, if you have frozen the software update app, make sure you unfreeze before anything!!!

1) Download this file: http://d-h.st/MeH
    2) Flash that file in cwm
    3) Reboot into the OS
    4) Update to ZV8

That is it!!! You are now rooted stock ZV8!!!!

After gaining root on ZV8 you can get CWM recovery by running this ZV8CWMRecovery.bat: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54501789/Revo/ZV8CWMRecovery.zip

There you have it!!! That was easy now wasn't it!
    Hello there.

Just checking in to let ya know that this thread is on the XDA Portal. Link:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/lg-revolution-owners-can-keep-root-through-latest-ota/

I hope you like the write up, it actually links to the last article I did for the LG Revolution. Keep up the great work!
    Dang that does sound easy, I guess that's what I get for being an early adopter.

Nothing to see here anymore!!!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
    I am currently on ZV8, rooted and am having trouble getting CWM. I am in USB debugging mode and internet connection and when I run the .bat file and choose option 1 (CWM Recovery for ZV8) I get * daemon not running. starting it now * * daemon started successfully * and then it does absolutely nothing. I've let it sit for a while and still see no response. Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: I had to install the TL Bootstrap on my computer and then I at least got a response after * daemon started successfully *. Except now it says the following message before restarting the phone without CWM installed.

Device found
    Mounting Device
    remount failed: Operation not permitted
    Pushing Recovery
    8757 KB/s (5345280 bytes in 0.596s)
    Installing CWM Recovery
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p14: cannot open for write: Permission denied
    Remove Trash
    rm failed for /system/etc/install-recovery.sh, Read-only file system
    rm failed for /system/recovery-from-boot.p, Read-only file system
    rm failed for /data/local.prop, No such file or directory
    CWM Recovery!!!

Same issues I had. All the apps I use got SU permissions fine but nothing worked getting CWM on. The instruction in this thread worked perfectly:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1594885
    Will the phone info still say v7 after this. I flashed, all went fine, rebooted, all still good. Checked root, got it, but then checked phone info and it still says v7. I don't really care if it says v7 or what ever as long as I know it's v8. Thanks for all your time and effort dedicated to all of us Revo users MT.

You have to go into your settings and update now. The file doesn't upgrade for you.