Coby Kyros 7015 - How to install CyanogenMod (Froyo based)

Search This thread

adamdietrick

This will be an often-updated guide to all the latest successes of getting a quality port of CyanogenMod, a custom Froyo based Android distribution.
This thread was originally intended to be specific to the Coby Kyros, but since most issues relate to all Telechips tablets, it may prove useful to owners of other such devices as well.

Things we have working: Touchscreen, Screen Roation, WiFi (Connects to AP and Ad-Hoc), Market, Texting via Google Talk.

Things we have kinda working: WiFi can be a little wanky, but if you disable and re-enable it works fine.

Things that do not work/Issues: Some apps not working (like Angry Birds) due to sdcard not being properly addressed, video play back, sound recording is very nasty, missing on screen volume controls, occasionally the input box is not updated with what you're typing, but when you hide the keyboard the text is there.

Further Reading:

Most of the development for the Kyros 7015 has taken place in this thread.
and the developement of Cyanogen for Telechips tablets has taken place in the thread (on slatedroid.com).

Also check out my tutorial for Getting the Most Out of Eclair (Android 2.1) for this same device.

Last edited:

adamdietrick

Instructions

1. Download and install ClockworkMod .

2: Preparations. If you have not already, install Android SDKto your PC. Download bootimage and system image. Create a "Cyanogen" folder in the clockwork/backup folder on your SD card and unzip both files into this folder. I also renamed and placed my recovery.img in here.

Contents of /Cyanogen
Code:
boot.img
nandroid.md5
recovery.img
system.img

3: Getting Some Files from Eclair. Connect your tablet to your PC and issue the following commands using ADB (Note: This step is to be done from Android 2.1, not from a previous version of CyanogenMod. If you already have CyanogenMod install, please revert to Android 2.1 to retrieve these files)

Code:
adb pull /sys/class/input/input1/calc_table calc_table
adb pull /data/softmac softmac

This should copy the calc_table and softmac files to the directory where ADB is located. Leave them where they are, and place build.prop and sensors.tcc92xx, from COBY7015-fixpack in there as well.

4: "Restoring" CyanogenMod. Boot into recovery mode (hold down front button and press the reset button on back of device). You should now be in ClockworkMod. IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, MAKE A BACKUP! Choose "Wipe data / factory reset" and then "backup and restore." Restore from Cyanogen folder.

5: Restoring Some Key Files. With your tablet connected to your PC, issue the following ABD commands, taking care to keep your tablet awake:

Code:
adb remount
adb push build.prop /system/
adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop

adb push calc_table /system/etc/
adb shell chmod 644 /system/etc/calc_table

adb push sensors.tcc92xx.so /system/lib/hw/
adb shell chmod 644 /system/lib/hw/sensors.tcc92xx.so

adb push softmac /data/softmac
adb shell chmod 644 /data/softmac
adb reboot

After your tablet finishes rebooting, you should notice you have a working touch screen.

6: Enabling Google Apps. Download gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip and MarketUpdateFroyoHdpi.zip. Place onto your SD card and reboot into recovery.vChoose "Install Zip from SDcard" and install gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip and then MarketUpdateFroyoHdpi.zip. Reboot and accept the terms of the market!

7: Texting using Google Voice. Here is how to text with Google voice. You will need a working android phone (probably needs to be rooted) with Titanium Backup installed. Set up Google Voice on the phone-- make sure you opt for the Google phone number as that is the number you will be texting from. Once up and running, back up the program using Titanium. On the tablet, install Titanium Backup and use it to restore the Google Voice program (App+Data) to your tablet. (You may have to copy the backup files to the Titanium directory on the INTERNAL drive.) Once Google Voice Launches, switch back to Titanium Backup-- do not try to set up Google Voice. Titanium backup will then restore the data for Google Voice. You should now be able to text from your tablet.

This is all I have right now, more to follow.

Last edited:

stoned99

Aug 14, 2010
Wouhou, first post!

thanks for that thread. Really great idea. I'll contributed at the best of my knowledge. Really like what you guys are doing and hope to have CyanogenMod fulling (or almost fulling) working.

Last edited:

adamdietrick

Wouhou, first post!

thanks for that thread. Really great idea. I'll contributed at the best of my knowledge. Really like what you guys are doing and hope to have CyanogenMod fulling (or almost fulling) working.

Hope this helps, and I hope we can get everyone working on Cyanogen for the 7015 over to this thread to keep from getting this and the 2.1 root/mod project from getting too intermingled/confused.

stoned99

Aug 14, 2010
Thanks. Finally had 15 minutes to install it and test it. Your procedure worked like a charm!
Only thing: Just add to fun_'s proedure for build.prop a shell like this

Great guide!

Last edited:

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
I uploaded 12/12 build. to avoid confusion, old build was removed.

please update #2.

sorry for this inconvenience.

havic

Jan 10, 2009
Fun_
So are the files under the obsolete folder now on that website.
Also wondering if someone can do a clockworkmod of the image
with most of the files edited I think for new peeps this will make it easier.

I have not flashed mine yet as I use it for video alot and
if that isn't working then it doesnt do me much good right now

stoned99

Aug 14, 2010
adamdietrick could you modify your procedure for the new one and also add to do a nandroid backup as some new people with Android might not know it's important. I tested the procedure it's working fine.

so globally it would be something like that. Please modify it so it can be more easily to follow:

1) clockwork
2) Backup your nand: ClockworkMod recovery, backup and restore, backup
3) When booted in Eclair (stock rom):

adb usb

*be sure to know where the files are copied to your pc because you'll need to add them back on your device later.

4) Copy all files (system.img, boot.img, nandroid.md5) in the clockwordmod backup folder on sdcard
5) Restore from backup, choose Cyanogenmod
6)adb remount

**at some point, you might loose connectivity with the device and waking up from sleep might not help, just unplug the usb cable, plug back in and type adb usb in the command prompt window

adb reboot

... continue with your current step 6 to 8 (install Gapps, market update and Google Voice)

Procedure was mostly taken from the readme file of fun_ so all credits go to him.

adamdietrick

adamdietrick could you modify your procedure for the new one and also add to do a nandroid backup as some new people with Android might not know it's important. I tested the procedure it's working fine.

so globally it would be something like that. Please modify it so it can be more easily to follow:

1) clockwork
2) Backup your nand: ClockworkMod recovery, backup and restore, backup
3) When booted in Eclair (stock rom):

adb usb

*be sure to know where the files are copied to your pc because you'll need to add them back on your device later.

4) Copy all files (system.img, boot.img, nandroid.md5) in the clockwordmod backup folder on sdcard
5) Restore from backup, choose Cyanogenmod
6)adb remount

**at some point, you might loose connectivity with the device and waking up from sleep might not help, just unplug the usb cable, plug back in and type adb usb in the command prompt window

adb reboot

... continue with your current step 6 to 8 (install Gapps, market update and Google Voice)

Procedure was mostly taken from the readme file of fun_ so all credits go to him.

Starting work on it now (that I'm not sleeping). This is what happens when fun_ brings out new version at bed time!

stoned99

Aug 14, 2010
LOL
don't worry, you can do it after your sleep. It's just that if some people moved to CyanogenMod with the current guide, they'll need to restore their eclair nanddroid backup to their device to grab the calc and software or use linux to mount system.img and extract calc_table and softmac. I can provide you the linux procedure in case you want to add it (for people who don't want to restore their eclair rom)

adamdietrick

LOL
don't worry, you can do it after your sleep. It's just that if some people moved to CyanogenMod with the current guide, they'll need to restore their eclair nanddroid backup to their device to grab the calc and software or use linux to mount system.img and extract calc_table and softmac. I can provide you the linux procedure in case you want to add it (for people who don't want to restore their eclair rom)

That would be great to have. I had to restore mine last night to run this procedure.

stoned99

Aug 14, 2010
Weird, the procedure I used to use with my Android file with my iphone (I had dual boot IOS and Android) doesn't work. I might not be the same systemfile. I'll try something else and let you know if I solve it

dhadlock

Sep 24, 2010
Just out of curiosity, (as I don't have time to read through the slatedroid forum) Has there been anything figured out on:
1. video playing on cyanogen
2. games loading full size ( if I change the lcd density it solves this problem but then everything is way too large, is there a way to make it to where the density changes for the games and only the games?)
3. Games that install to the sd card having problems i.e. angry birds, and asphalt?

I know these have probably been answered over on slatedroid but like I said I just don't have time to read through over 200 pages, especially where most of it is stupid newbie crap that is probably making it very hard for asure, venomous, and fun_ to get any actual feedback on stuff.

stoned99

Aug 14, 2010
I was able to mount the system and ramdisk. Unfortunately it seems the files (calc_table and softmac) are not in there. I see a folder called sys and a folder called data in the ramdisk but don't see any files inside. Maybe it's in the kernel. I was able to extract the kernel from the boot.img but can't mount it. Oh well, people will have to restore from their nandroid backup if they want to pull the files.

Sorry

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
I was able to mount the system and ramdisk. Unfortunately it seems the files (calc_table and softmac) are not in there. I see a folder called sys and a folder called data in the ramdisk but don't see any files inside. Maybe it's in the kernel. I was able to extract the kernel from the boot.img but can't mount it. Oh well, people will have to restore from their nandroid backup if they want to pull the files.

Sorry

softmac may be in data.img of eclair nandroid backup.
calc_table is only in live system. please restore eclair firmware and reboot.

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
1. video playing on cyanogen
no hardware decoding yet. please use rockplayer for armv6+vfp (consume CPU power...)
2. games loading full size ( if I change the lcd density it solves this problem but then everything is way too large, is there a way to make it to where the density changes for the games and only the games?)
try Compatibility off in SpareParts
3. Games that install to the sd card having problems i.e. angry birds, and asphalt?
I have no idea.

I'm suffering where/how to talk worthfully ;)
(here is OK, of course:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Instructions

1. Download and install ClockworkMod .

2: Preparations. If you have not already, install Android SDKto your PC. Download bootimage and system image. Create a "Cyanogen" folder in the clockwork/backup folder on your SD card and unzip both files into this folder. I also renamed and placed my recovery.img in here.

Contents of /Cyanogen
    Code:
    boot.img
    nandroid.md5
    recovery.img
    system.img

3: Getting Some Files from Eclair. Connect your tablet to your PC and issue the following commands using ADB (Note: This step is to be done from Android 2.1, not from a previous version of CyanogenMod. If you already have CyanogenMod install, please revert to Android 2.1 to retrieve these files)

Code:

This should copy the calc_table and softmac files to the directory where ADB is located. Leave them where they are, and place build.prop and sensors.tcc92xx, from COBY7015-fixpack in there as well.

4: "Restoring" CyanogenMod. Boot into recovery mode (hold down front button and press the reset button on back of device). You should now be in ClockworkMod. IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY, MAKE A BACKUP! Choose "Wipe data / factory reset" and then "backup and restore." Restore from Cyanogen folder.

5: Restoring Some Key Files. With your tablet connected to your PC, issue the following ABD commands, taking care to keep your tablet awake:

Code:
    adb remount

adb reboot

After your tablet finishes rebooting, you should notice you have a working touch screen.

6: Enabling Google Apps. Download gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip and MarketUpdateFroyoHdpi.zip. Place onto your SD card and reboot into recovery.vChoose "Install Zip from SDcard" and install gapps-mdpi-tiny-20101020-signed.zip and then MarketUpdateFroyoHdpi.zip. Reboot and accept the terms of the market!

7: Texting using Google Voice. Here is how to text with Google voice. You will need a working android phone (probably needs to be rooted) with Titanium Backup installed. Set up Google Voice on the phone-- make sure you opt for the Google phone number as that is the number you will be texting from. Once up and running, back up the program using Titanium. On the tablet, install Titanium Backup and use it to restore the Google Voice program (App+Data) to your tablet. (You may have to copy the backup files to the Titanium directory on the INTERNAL drive.) Once Google Voice Launches, switch back to Titanium Backup-- do not try to set up Google Voice. Titanium backup will then restore the data for Google Voice. You should now be able to text from your tablet.

This is all I have right now, more to follow.
    This will be an often-updated guide to all the latest successes of getting a quality port of CyanogenMod, a custom Froyo based Android distribution.
    This thread was originally intended to be specific to the Coby Kyros, but since most issues relate to all Telechips tablets, it may prove useful to owners of other such devices as well.

Things we have working: Touchscreen, Screen Roation, WiFi (Connects to AP and Ad-Hoc), Market, Texting via Google Talk.

Things we have kinda working: WiFi can be a little wanky, but if you disable and re-enable it works fine.

Things that do not work/Issues: Some apps not working (like Angry Birds) due to sdcard not being properly addressed, video play back, sound recording is very nasty, missing on screen volume controls, occasionally the input box is not updated with what you're typing, but when you hide the keyboard the text is there.

Further Reading:

Most of the development for the Kyros 7015 has taken place in this thread.
    and the developement of Cyanogen for Telechips tablets has taken place in the thread (on slatedroid.com).

Also check out my tutorial for Getting the Most Out of Eclair (Android 2.1) for this same device.
    Quick question: Running system info, it states that my processor is an ARMv6-compatible, Telechips TCC89/91/92xx Demo Board running 720mhz. I thought this was an ARM1176 according to the box?

All I have done to it so far is root it and install marketplace, not that that would effect the proc type, or is this what it is supposed to say?

Thanks

Yep

If you go http://www.slatedroid.com you'll see that under Telechips, the Mid7015 is there (also known as EM71)
    Finally I noticed that according to the battery usage it says that 75% of my battery usage is looking for a cell network even though this device is not capable. it would be nice if the airplane mode allowed wifi (especially since some planes now allow wifi) so that I could go to airplane mode with wifi on.

Well, I don't know anything at all about these tablets (I'm thinking of purchasing one), but I have an Android phone running Cyanogenmod and Airplane Mode does indeed allow WiFi to work still. It will turn the WiFi off when you enter Airplane mode, but all you have to do is go into the menu and turn WiFi back on. In fact, I have both Airplane Mode and WiFi set up as easy toggles using the CyanogenMod version of the Power Control Widget. YMMV, but like I said, it works perfectly on the Droid phone.

Also, this thread from the Nook Color forum may be of interest: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=888216&highlight=cell+service
    I renamed my CWM/CM images for COBY MID7015.

EM71.zip is now COBY7015.zip
    recovery.EM71.img.zip is now recovery.COBY7015.img.zip
    EM71-fixpack.zip is now COBY7015-fixpack.zip

I'll upload EM71 files tomorrow, it is for real Emdoor EM71 and Lonpad D7 users.

sorry for this inconvenience.