[Q] Want To Update to MA7 But Have Questions

Search This thread

TADitto

Jul 20, 2011
PHOENIX, AZ
I'm a bit confused here about the best way to upgrade to MA7 with the least amount of possible issues. I have a few questions that will hopefully help me clear up my confusion. I have searched thru some of the MA7 threads but can't find definitive answers. I am currently rooted running WHOMP 2.6 with TWRP recovery. Here's my questions:

Would using [ROM][RESTORE][1-13-13]Back to unrooted stock with auto flash count reset (FINAL LJC) by Billard412 to go back to stock unrooted and taking the OTA for MA7 be the way to go to get MA7 or not taking the OTA and flashing[OTA] MA7 update.zip Download from rwilco12 thru stock recovery? If so once I do that would I still be able to gain root again using [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V3.0.0 SPRINT] Drivers, Backup, Root, CWM, TWRP, Flash to Stock by mskip?

If I decide not to do the above can I just flash the modem zip from [ROM][Kernel][Firmware] Stock-Rooted L900VPAMA7 Odex / DeOdex [Team WHOMP] to upgrade my baseband or do I need to also flash the kernel as well? Once I do this what will be the affects of then flashing a ROM based on LJC or LK8 be or is it even possible?

Once I do any of the above if I have any issues and assuming I can get root back if I flash a nandroid back-up of whomp 2.6 will it revert everything back to LJC if I have the modems and efs as well as the usual nandroid back-up settings backed-up thru TWRP? Or would I be stuck on MA7?

Please help me to understand.:confused:

Last edited:

bleaktrotter

Jul 15, 2010
I'm not sure what part you're worried about. I flashed MA7 and everything was fine. I have root, I can flash any ROMs, and I didn't have to do anything special.
To upgrade, use a .zip which only updates you to MA7 and does not mess with your ROM or anything else.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124217
I used this and it worked flawlessly for going lk8->ma7 despite the file name.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: TADitto

TADitto

Jul 20, 2011
PHOENIX, AZ
I'm not sure what part you're worried about. I flashed MA7 and everything was fine. I have root, I can flash any ROMs, and I didn't have to do anything special.
To upgrade, use a .zip which only updates you to MA7 and does not mess with your ROM or anything else.

So you just upgraded your modems/baseband but not the firmware?

Last edited:

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010

1) That's ma5 not ma7.

2) There is no such thing as upgrading to ma7 or anything else without "mess with your rom". That's a nonsensical statement. Upgrading means flashing a rom which means completely obliterating it with a new replacement.

There is no equivalent all-in-one for ma7 yet like we have for ma5 and lower.

To get everything ma7, as of this moment, you need to go to stock lj1 or ljc and then flash the ma7 update.zip or take the ota. The missing parts that we don't have outside of ota yet seem to be just a tz file which may be for lte, it's not certain yet. And a new bootloader which may not matter much.

So without going back to stock you can flash rom, kernel, and modem, and it'll probably mostly be ok except maybe lte problems.

Or you can go back to full stock and take the ota or manually flash the update.zip which is the same thing. Then re-root the normal way like with cfroot. Then you'll be fully ma7 for all parts.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

Skripka

Dec 17, 2011
Postulo forklift ad portandum iste
1) That's ma5 not ma7.

2) There is no such thing as upgrading to ma7 or anything else without "mess with your rom". That's a nonsensical statement. Upgrading means flashing a rom which means completely obliterating it with a new replacement.

To get everything ma7, as of this moment, you need to go to stock lj1 or ljc and then flash the ma7 update.zip or take the ota. The missing parts that we don't have outside of ota yet seem to be just a tz file which may be for lte, it's not certain yet. And a new bootloader which may not matter much.

So without going back to stock you can flash rom, kernel, and modem, and it'll probably mostly be ok except maybe lte problems.

Or you can go back to full stock and take the ota or manually flash the update.zip which is the same thing. Then re-root the normal way like with cfroot. Then you'll be fully ma7 for all parts.

Uh huh.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38002057

[ROM][Kernel][Firmware] Stock-Rooted L900VPAMA7 Odex / DeOdex [Team WHOMP]

Flash via twrp, and bAM you're on ma7

Whether you break anything doing so is ofc a whole other horse.

This install was LJC, and the I flashed the ma7 modem.
asaduja8.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TADitto

Jul 20, 2011
PHOENIX, AZ
If I flash MA7 modem and then I nandroid from a previous nandroid that is LJC modems will I revert back to LJC or stay MA7?

you shouldn't need to revert back to LJC and risk I root.

I went from MA5 to MA7 with no issues. Make a Nandriod backup before you do anything. Test your Nandroid to make sure it actually restores; doesn't do you any good if you can't restore from it.

Then use the files in the thread listed in the OP for MA7. Makes sure to wipe Divack, cache, and system. I flashed firmware, then modem, then rom, and last firmware. Sometimes firmware doesn't always stick, so it's just a precaution. Between flashes, wipe divack and cache. I'm old school from the Evo 4G, so it do it three times.

Other than that, if you're concerned, you can try using Voodoo Rootkeeper. Although it didn't do anything when I tried it. But I didn't lose root either. I also used the deoxidezed rom version so I can use the mutliwindow and 4-2 reboot mods.

You may want to use Titanium Backup to back up your apps and settings. There are nice batch operations. This can save a lot time. Plus, it's a good way to save your game progesses such as Angry Birds and be able to return where you were.

TMPOOLE

Nov 27, 2012
Frostbite Falls, MN
I'm a bit confused here about the best way to upgrade to MA7 with the least amount of possible issues. I have a few questions that will hopefully help me clear up my confusion. I have searched thru some of the MA7 threads but can't find definitive answers. I am currently rooted running WHOMP 2.6 with TWRP recovery. Here's my questions:

Would using [ROM][RESTORE][1-13-13]Back to unrooted stock with auto flash count reset (FINAL LJC) by Billard412 to go back to stock unrooted and taking the OTA for MA7 be the way to go to get MA7 or not taking the OTA and flashing[OTA] MA7 update.zip Download from rwilco12 thru stock recovery? If so once I do that would I still be able to gain root again using [Galaxy Note2 TOOLKIT V3.0.0 SPRINT] Drivers, Backup, Root, CWM, TWRP, Flash to Stock by mskip?

If I decide not to do the above can I just flash the modem zip from [ROM][Kernel][Firmware] Stock-Rooted L900VPAMA7 Odex / DeOdex [Team WHOMP] to upgrade my baseband or do I need to also flash the kernel as well? Once I do this what will be the affects of then flashing a ROM based on LJC or LK8 be or is it even possible?

Once I do any of the above if I have any issues and assuming I can get root back if I flash a nandroid back-up of whomp 2.6 will it revert everything back to LJC if I have the modems and efs as well as the usual nandroid back-up settings backed-up thru TWRP? Or would I be stuck on MA7?

The Whomp Rom is in process of being updated to MA7. Why not wait for a few days and just reflash when they release the new update? That's what I intend to do. They'll explain the best way to update with the new release. Your just confusing yourself. Be patient or make a backup and experiment away. Not like you can't restore your backup.

Reactions: mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.executivedecision.biz
So what does MA7 do that is so great it's worth dealing with the inevitable bugs?

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

The Whomp Rom is in process of being updated to MA7. Why not wait for a few days and just reflash when they release the new update? That's what I intend to do. They'll explain the best way to update with the new release. Your just confusing yourself. Be patient or make a backup and experiment away. Not like you can't restore your backup.

Yeah I usually just wait for a reliable development team to hash through the newest leak and put it in their rom before I mess with it. If you have ever bricked a phone by jumping the gun like I have you feel me on that.

TADitto

Jul 20, 2011
PHOENIX, AZ
Thanks all for your input, with things like this I tend to become a nervous nelly. I went ahead and did the upgrade with no issues what so ever. I used Billards412 unroot to LJC stock unrooted, worked perfectly. I then booted into stock recovery and flashed rwilco12 MA7 update zip, which worked flawlessly. After that I used mskips toolkit 3.0 to root using option 42 and LJC tar, root aquired and now I'm back in business accept now everything is updated to MA7. Gosh I'm such a idiot, in my head I was trying to make this more difficult than it was. Again thanks you everyone for all your help.:eek:

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010
No you were smart to make sure about everything before firing. That's why it worked.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

I went from MA5 to MA7 with no issues. [...] I flashed firmware, then modem, then rom

Please link to this mythical ma7 firmware file.

blueshoky

Mar 21, 2008
Can you flash a MA5 rom Running on MA7 Firmware?

Can you flash a MA5 rom Running on MA7 Firmware? Will H2O MA5 rom work on a rooted MA7 phone ?

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010
I think he's referring to the LJC2MA7 update.zip.

They said the exact opposite of that. They said they did not have to revert to stock or flash the full update.zip

Perhaps that's actually what they did and they are just so fuzzy they don't even know it. That's what I was trying to nail down.

Maybe there WAS a firmware zip that I just hadn't seen yet. Unlikely but possible. So rather than say they are wrong or misguiding people I just say "where is this thing you say you flashed?"
If they don't answer then that speaks for itself ;) If they do answer then whatever they point at determines what happens next. I figured they either were flashing the ma5 firmware, or that they thought modem = firmware.

t3project

Jun 14, 2010
Feb 18 5:02 am ? When it's still feb 17 11:20 pm in my timezone? So as I knew already, this did not exist when they were claiming to have used it.

Now thank god, no, thank t3, it's moot and we can use it in directions and recipes.

Fantastic!

lol........yea, i just put it up earlier.

you shouldn't need to revert back to LJC and risk I root. ...
Then use the files in the thread listed in the OP for MA7. Makes sure to wipe Divack, cache, and system. I flashed firmware, then modem, then rom, and last firmware. Sometimes firmware doesn't always stick, so it's just a precaution. Between flashes, wipe divack and cache. ....
...Please link to this mythical ma7 firmware file. ...

Well, here is the link where I got the MA7 files I used: XDA Thread

It does appear I misspoke a bit. I should have used modem, rom, and kernal. It was late for me when I responded I used someone's phrasing not thinking clearly. Although, all three do make up the firmware, or at least most of it. My apologies for any confusion.

Nonetheless, the other than bad phrasing, the process should worked for me without having to revert back to LJC from being on MA5 to go to MA7. I haven't had issues with phone or connecting to the Network or using LTE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) That's ma5 not ma7.

I went from MA5 to MA7 with no issues. Make a Nandriod backup before you do anything. Test your Nandroid to make sure it actually restores; doesn't do you any good if you can't restore from it.

Then use the files in the thread listed in the OP for MA7. Makes sure to wipe Divack, cache, and system. I flashed firmware, then modem, then rom, and last firmware. Sometimes firmware doesn't always stick, so it's just a precaution. Between flashes, wipe divack and cache. I'm old school from the Evo 4G, so it do it three times.

Other than that, if you're concerned, you can try using Voodoo Rootkeeper. Although it didn't do anything when I tried it. But I didn't lose root either. I also used the deoxidezed rom version so I can use the mutliwindow and 4-2 reboot mods.

You may want to use Titanium Backup to back up your apps and settings. There are nice batch operations. This can save a lot time. Plus, it's a good way to save your game progesses such as Angry Birds and be able to return where you were.

So what does MA7 do that is so great it's worth dealing with the inevitable bugs?

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

Yeah I usually just wait for a reliable development team to hash through the newest leak and put it in their rom before I mess with it. If you have ever bricked a phone by jumping the gun like I have you feel me on that.