Other device and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

force70

I'm currently a happy Note 2 owner. The size is a little bit of a drain though and I am thinking about getting the HTC One simply based on the beauty of the hardware. Can anybody offer any thoughts on the HTC One? Considering that I am happy with the Note 2, would the One be a downer?? Any help in making a decision would be appreciated!

I guess you have to decide if you can live without ext sd support, and a large capacity removable battery. The battery life on the one is probably much less than we get with our notes as well.Plus going from a 5.5 inch screen to a smallish 4.7 screen will be hard, if i use my s3 now I really miss the extra real estate on the screen

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda premium

Last edited:

tuxonhtc

Oct 20, 2009
I'm currently a happy Note 2 owner. The size is a little bit of a drain though and I am thinking about getting the HTC One simply based on the beauty of the hardware. Can anybody offer any thoughts on the HTC One? Considering that I am happy with the Note 2, would the One be a downer?? Any help in making a decision would be appreciated!
Personally? I wouldn't highly recommend that. You would still put a case on the One, wouldn't you? Or else good luck with not getting dents and scratches on that.

The significant advantage IMO is the speakers, I guess it's superior to Note II. Screen - it's personal preference - I still like N2's SAMOLED screen more than SLCD - and at least for me, 1080p and 720p doesn't make much difference as far as cellphones go.

You'll miss out on - amazing battery life (which anyone can notice) and removable battery, screen size (which apparently isn't a big factor for you). So yeah, if you consider HTC One to be a worthy upgrade, sure, go for it.

Personally, wouldn't switch for a long time, at least until Note 3 comes out.

poisonsushi319

Apr 14, 2013
I am selling my HTC One after using it just for a day. The battery life and screen are the killers for me. I am so used to the extended battery life and big screen of the Note 2, the 1080 P gets old real quick. The battery life is pretty bad on the HTC One based on my usage, I like 100% max brightness and full CPU all the time. The camera was ok, it only really shined in low light conditions, but with flash on they are the same. The build quality is better and thus I don't feel like putting a case on to make it look nice, while the note 2 I have to put a case on to make it look nice, but I found a nice looking one anyways. The HTC One gets pretty hot even while syncing while the note 2 stays cool most of the time.

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
I bought the ZL C6502 and just got my Note 2 today. I had sold my note 2 to buy this C6502 which I paid for $635 and had for 2 months and cant even get $500 dollar back out of it:( lesson learned.

I LOVED the screen on the ZL but I just miss my note 2

tuxonhtc

Oct 20, 2009
I am selling my HTC One after using it just for a day. The battery life and screen are the killers for me. I am so used to the extended battery life and big screen of the Note 2, the 1080 P gets old real quick. The battery life is pretty bad on the HTC One based on my usage, I like 100% max brightness and full CPU all the time. The camera was ok, it only really shined in low light conditions, but with flash on they are the same. The build quality is better and thus I don't feel like putting a case on to make it look nice, while the note 2 I have to put a case on to make it look nice, but I found a nice looking one anyways. The HTC One gets pretty hot even while syncing while the note 2 stays cool most of the time.
Harsh selling it using after just a day. And Note II gets fairly hot too to be fair. Other than that, I agree regarding screen and battery life.

Bigjim1488

Feb 19, 2008
New York
I picked up the one. Used it for about 3 days and just wasn't wowed by it. It's a nice phone, great speakers and screen but not many features I like. Blink I am not a fan of, I'd rather use flip board. The other big issue is the build quality. My current phone has the screen raised a tad above the speaker grill at the top. Every time I pull down the notification bar I can feel it. The volume button is flush on the top and not on the bottom. There is a small gap on the bottom where the speaker grill is seated cause by poor cutting at the factory.

Just some little annoying things that add up to bugging me. Oh and also there is no home button so some apps use that little three little dots at the bottom. It takes an quarter inch away from the screen as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Bigjim1488

Feb 19, 2008
New York
@Bigjim1488 so how does that compare to the Note II? Still sticking to Note II I assume?

Note 2 is a sweet phone but I'm kind of over it. Was hoping to get away from Samsung. I've loved HTC when I had my Evo 4g. I really don't think I can get passed that 3 dot menu bar that pops up in apps. Waisted screen space.

Might just give up, grab the s4 and be quietly content with a smaller version of the note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

sabre31

Aug 28, 2010
I have a galaxy s4, note 2, HTC one, and nexus 4. I think note 2 is the best phone ever so far. I really like the 64gb of HTC one and premium look but sense 5 is lacking big time I think sense 4 was better. Battery life sucks and because of no menu button apps use the three dots for menu which takes up screen space and looks bad it feels like you are using a 4 inch screen. Galaxy s4 is very nice but lots of bloat ware, locked boot loader, and only 16gb storage but the screen is very nice. Wish note 2 had 1080p. Battery life is OK none of them compare to note 2 for battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

doormouse

May 9, 2008
What it would take for me to upgrade

I don't care about 1080 screen, at 5.5 1080 doesn't do much for me but waste storage or bandwidth. It's just not that noticable on a small screen
More processor power would be ok, but I'm in no way hurting for it
Ditto for a faster GPU.
Larger screen is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how much bigger I could deal with, I'm OK with 2 handed operation, but I don't want to have to fashion my wardrobe around carrying my phone or get a man-purse. (oh and for the love of Satan, no belt clips)

Stylus, I should hate it, I was ready to hate it, I want to hate it, I feel like a goober because it's freakin awesome. AfterFocus, photoediting, drawing, signing pdf contracts, scratching off shopping lists, using my phone while eating chips.... I love that thing.

64GB or at least 32GB internal memory would be nice for large games
The camera could be a a little better at point and shoot, You have to be a little careful to get a non fuzzy picture inside. Photosphere would be nice.
More battery life, (man I'm greedy) I'd like to see 3 solid days of very light usage out of a charge without having to get a humpback case.
Wireless charging.

If my phone continues to run all my apps as well as it does now, it's going to be a hard sell to move me in to another phone.

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
GN2 is pretty much perfect on every level.
Excellent development support and what the heck , Samsung releasing lots of solid firmware updates device performance only getting better....DMC3 base for example. Such manufacturer support is hard to find and we have it.
GN3 will be my next but not on release days , I'm going to hold off on purchase for a couple months until price drop....I'm thinking late December

Reactions: chris.l.naish

jev3gs

Nov 15, 2008
Cary, IL
Well as a GN2 owner I haven't decided if I am going to leave to another phone, the One and the S4 are tempting. I am fortunate enough to have a cousin that is going to let me use his S4 for a week. I think at that point I will know what size is right for me.

The ONLY reason I want to try the S4 is because of the smaller screen which should make it easier to one hand. I will soon find out what is more important to me :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Well as a GN2 owner I haven't decided if I am going to leave to another phone, the One and the S4 are tempting. I am fortunate enough to have a cousin that is going to let me use his S4 for a week. I think at that point I will know what size is right for me.

The ONLY reason I want to try the S4 is because of the smaller screen which should make it easier to one hand. I will soon find out what is more important to me :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Stick with your GN2!! Played with the S4 feels really cheap to me. But if you need a smaller screen for one handed use go for it. Especially if you have smaller hands!! I can use my GN2 with one hand no problem:p. Thanx to large thumbs!! Do it all the time when I'm stuck in traffic, on these L.A.freeways...

Just my 2¢®:cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

andrawer

Jun 3, 2011
HTC One? Well I've had the 32GB unlocked version direct from HTC for 4 days now. I thought $575 (and no tax) with no AT&T Bloatware + working free tethering was a good deal (after selling my N2 of course). The Sense UI is bizarre but that doesn't matter since I'll be rooting soon. I could care less about no removable MicroSD card or fixed battery.

However, if you are happy with the size of the Note 2...I really don't consider the HTC one or S4 an upgrade. Just keep your N2...I still say its the best phone out there.

I switched because I wanted a smaller smartphone (4.7" is smallest I can go) for the summer. Had the Note 2 (4 months) and original Note (8 months) and just got tired of the total phone size w/case plus adding a mini-ipad to my collection meant I didn't need the Note for book / magazine reading.

recommendation: Keep your note 2 unless you want a smaller screen...:cyclops:

I'd be glad to answer any questions on the HTC One.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2261044

Dropping this in for wase4711. That thread died before its time...lol
Check this one out..
But it seems the ATT version lost its larger battery ?....uh
Im curious to see how long it stays booted with a 1280p screen and a snapdragon processor running wide open.
Looks good on paper, but this note2 just runs.

One of you rich xda guys need to buy one so we can race em....lol...g

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2261044

Dropping this in for wase4711. That thread died before its time...lol
Check this one out..
But it seems the ATT version lost its larger battery ?....uh
Im curious to see how long it stays booted with a 1280p screen and a snapdragon processor running wide open.
Looks good on paper, but this note2 just runs.

One of you rich xda guys need to buy one so we can race em....lol...g

hell, its actually going to be 100 bucks cheaper than a note!

My wife is due for an upgrade, so I am thinking about buying it for her,more so that I can play with it and compare the 2 phones...
Not much Development in the LG forums, though this phone might change that..

The LG looks to have an IR blaster though. The IR is one of the reasons why I will most likely move to the S4; I use projectors at work a lot, and the blaster will save me some trouble of poking around looking for the data projector remote (or standing on a chair to turn it on when someone else misplaces it).

Note II is still awesome though...dev support is solid, and its a proven device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The sensor is what matters, not the megapixel count.

That is a huge misconception

THIS is 1000% true, dont be misled by stupid megapixel numbers..
    Iphone 5 S/C humor

Sure some of you have seen this but I really got a kick out of it. Some weekend humor. :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1407915812759060
    Note 3 Details

This will probably get lost here, but I didn't want to make a thread for just this.

I was at my local Best Buy checking out the Samsung kiosk they just setup; When I was introduced to the regional manager for Samsung, who was there teaching the Best Buy people that were manning the kiosk selling point details.

He tried REALLY hard on me to get me to pick up an S4 (still thinking about it), but I explained that my main love for my Note 2 is that is doubles as my in car GPS and was very easy for me to select tracks and channels while driving (due to the large screen size).

He said he totally understood (having a Note 2 himself) and that I should wait until later this year for the Note 3.
    Here are the details that I got:

1.) Note 3 will be out towards the end of the 3rd quarter
    2.) Note 3 will have a 6" screen BUT keep the same footprint as the Note 2 (They are eliminating most of the bezel).
    3.) The features that are in the S4 will all be in the Note 3, plus a few that he couldn't talk about yet.
    4.) The CPU will most likely be a 2ghz. (I am saying this because of his explanation of the S4 quad and octo CPU - he said that the Note 3 will "make waves")

I know it isn't much, but it was enough to make me want to just wait for the Note 3.

Oh, and he also explained:

1.) The US S4 only got the quad because of the lack of LTE in the octo.
    2.) The Octo is really 2 CPUs, one clocked at 1.9ghz and the other at 1.2ghz.

I didn't know that and just thought I would share.
    My email said the device would ship between 9-11 and 9-13. I can post a picture of it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running SkyNote 9.3.

Hopefully it's not a mistake. Would be awesome to be one of the first to receive this bad boy before any one else. I need to wait till February for my upgrade. Which is fine. It'll give enough time for the devs to do there thing in case the bootloader is locked. And for some great Roms to come out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    and, 6.3 inches will not fit in pants pockets, the way the current one does...in this case, bigger is NOT better..