[ROM][4.2.2][05/08]Slim Bean - I9100 [Build 8][FINAL]

Search This thread

dakore

Jun 26, 2010
Upernavik
Re: [ROM][4.2.1][16/02]Slim Bean - I9100 [Stable v1.0]

Who uses Viber or Twicca apps just to check one thing:
On Twicca timeline or in Viber chat (it would be better if chat is long enough) do a fast swipe/scroll up or down. Do you feel scrolling a bit choppy, does it stutter?

Btw I need to say I'm amazed with this rom. I hated SlimICS because krarvind never added some cool features from AOKP/CM but SlimBean has everything I need. And it's better. Time to change my signature for sgs2 and nexus7 as well :)

Visual Focus

Oct 18, 2012
Melbourne
www.webaddict.gr
TBH, don't mess with RIL... I assume you mean by using GetRIL?? GetRIL doesn't seem to work that well with JB... and I can't guarantee that RIL files haven't been heavily modified in 4.2.1... so manually messing around with them is asking for problems.

If you want to flash modems, just flash the modem... it won't do anything "bad" except mess with your reception/data speeds at worst... you can always just flash back another modem if it goes pear shaped ;)

I've just tested 5 different modems in the last hour... :eek:

Hello,
i would like to share my experience.
After experimenting a little bit with RIL / Modem combos i lost baseband.
So i reflashed the Rom, got RIL and baseband back and after that i flashed only the radio / modem.
Both LS6 and LS8 booted successfully but when someone was calling me the dialer went black,i could hear the person to the other end but he couldn't hear me.

In both cases i removed the battery to unfreeze the handset.

So i got back to BVLP7.
It's ok now but LS6 and LS8 offered a better 3G signal level.

Is the radio / modem related to the GPS ?

If i don't have wifi and mobile data on it needs like 5-6 minutes to lock using only the satellite's info.

Also a few details about the ROM, does anybody experience delay on the lockscreen with the sound being out of sync ?
The same happens when you boot and enter the sim's pin number.

Last, is there an option or system apk to add swype function on the keyboard for other languages except English ?

Fantastic rom, thanks a bunch the team for providing a pleasant Jellybean experience.

On the 2000mah battery it's life is outstanding, also RAM management is phenomenal,on idle 400+ free MB

Twiq

Didn't seem to work for me... :(

I enabled the sim lock, reset... entered the PIN... but no STK in the launcher... odd :confused:

sorry i missed your post,
anyway.. does your network operator supports STK?
lots of operators dont use STK anymore. but in my country, most of them still use stk to check available data plans and promos, convenient and faster than opening their web or even google :D

ulysse34

Aug 21, 2010
Is the radio / modem related to the GPS ?

If i don't have wifi and mobile data on it needs like 5-6 minutes to lock using only the satellite's info.

Also a few details about the ROM, does anybody experience delay on the lockscreen with the sound being out of sync ?
The same happens when you boot and enter the sim's pin number.

Last, is there an option or system apk to add swype function on the keyboard for other languages except English ?

If you have a wifi or mobile data connection, assisted gps will be used in order to get a faster satellite fix. But 5-6 minutes is way too long even without agps.
Does this happen on the very first fix after afresh installation only?

I can use swype feature on the native keyboard in French without any issues. Maybe Greek is particular due to a different alphabet and character encoding?!

Last edited:

eSche

Oct 23, 2011
My brightness gets kiled after a while... I isn't a kernel issue as it appears on both, stock and dorimanx kernel. Is this a known problem or just me?
Device stays on lowest brightness settings and reflashing only helps for 1 day or less. Pretty annoying as I really like this rom...

Didgesteve

Nov 24, 2011
Truro
My brightness gets kiled after a while... I isn't a kernel issue as it appears on both, stock and dorimanx kernel. Is this a known problem or just me?
Device stays on lowest brightness settings and reflashing only helps for 1 day or less. Pretty annoying as I really like this rom...

I have seen what you are describing, sometimes when my hand is near the light sensor. Get Lux off the market. It's free and is so much better than the onboard auto brightness. Set your own levels of screen brightness linked to the light conditions. ::thumbup

Reactions: eSche

crocodilechris

Nov 13, 2012
Berlin
@dakore
no, nothing restored via Titanium.
The only file I restored is my progress of "Subway Surfer".

okay, ... just in time I got VERY strange behaviour:
Have "wetter.com" widget (2x1) on home screen (weather forecast). Clicked on it to open main app. After closing the app the widget is replaced by the power/ energy saving widget. :eek: Clicking on the buttons have effect, but its changes are not shown on the widget. Long press -> app info: "wetter.com". Next :eek: Can't reproduce.
After reboot "Youtube FCs" but widget is working correct.

eSche

Oct 23, 2011
I have seen what you are describing, sometimes when my hand is near the light sensor. Get Lux off the market. It's free and is so much better than the onboard auto brightness. Set your own levels of screen brightness linked to the light conditions. ::thumbup

Doesn't help. I can lower the brightness with this app even more (useless) but can't increase it... Well, I gonna try out other ROMs with dorimanx dualboot to see if it's my device who's ****ed or the Rom. Thanks anyway for the help

k4bbe

Aug 1, 2011
London

But I could not get BLN to work. What r the correct settings for S2?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

You need to be running a custom kernel (Siyah/Dorimanx) and then you need to activate it using the Stweaks app installed with kernel. It's as simple as 123 :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

HardCorePawn

Mar 24, 2009
Auckland
General Warning:

DON'T use "onandroid"[1] for making backups on latest SlimBean until further notice

It seems that it is incomptabile with the 4.2.1 upgrade :( It will appear that the backup runs fine, but if you try to restore the backup, none of the user apps are restored (even though they are in /data/app etc)... also, you are highly likely to end up with weird Play Store errors (unknown error: -110 etc)... and all apps listed in "Settings -> Apps -> All Apps" will show size of 0.00B... meaning you cannot clear data/cache for apps etc...

The only fixes are to either restore a backup made with CWM Recovery, or do a full wipe and re-install :eek:

Unsure if this is specific to i9100... or if it is affecting other devices as well... but it seems that it affects CM based ROMs as well... The app/script author is aware of this, so hopefully we will get a fix soon :)

[1] - This includes apps that use onandroid, like "Orange Backup" and H3R3T1C's "Online Nandroid Backup"

foccacia

Feb 16, 2011

You need to be running a custom kernel (Siyah/Dorimanx) and then you need to activate it using the Stweaks app installed with kernel. It's as simple as 123 :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yes, I m already on siyah kernel n activated BLN but does not work

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

HardCorePawn

Mar 24, 2009
Auckland
I use an app called Orange Backup..it does a nandroid backup too,. You can find it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2040507

guessing you missed the bit at the bottom of my post? which ironically, you even quoted... :rolleyes:

[1] - This includes apps that use onandroid, like "Orange Backup" and H3R3T1C's "Online Nandroid Backup"

Orange Backup and Online Nandroid Backup, are just frontend GUI's for the onandroid script... it is onandroid script that is broken, so anything using this script is broken...

Reactions: tazsob

ulysse34

Aug 21, 2010
Hi there,

first of all, a huge thanks to the whole dev team. This is one awesome new release.

However there is a couple of things I would love to see getting addressed :

Buggy stuff

1. The lower part of cLock widget is truncated on SGS2 at 210dpi (and even more at native 240 dpi). I know that it is possible to maximize the widget, but that's not really a solution.
Did you consider using DashClock instead?

2. "Voice input key" is not shown on main keyboard although the option is ticked. Showing it on symbols keyboard does work correctly though.

3. “Voice Dialer” keeps telling "Starting up..." when launched, but never gets ready in order to actually accept a voice command (not sure if this is app or ROM related)

4. Duration still isn't displayed correctly in call logs

5. USB Mass Storage/UMS : There is a strange behaviour that seems to be related to the computers' USB chipset.
Depending on the PC I have tested it with (and even depending on the USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port on a same laptop) once you have turned it off, you will have to unplug and plug the USB cable before turning it on again, otherwise partitions will not be mounted on the computer. Most of the time it does not show the second confirmation popup (which is not useful anyway, I think).
Finally, why does it say "Connected as an installer" in the notification area?

6. MTP file transfer fails with error message on Windows when transferring certain files (seems to be related to capital letters and/or unsupported file extensions). Still investigating...

7. Transfer all files through BT [including APK] does not work, neither in Explorer+ nor in CM FileManager. Explorer+ app developer claims that the issue is system related as his app simply calls available share options from the system.

Missing stuff that used to be there in previous releases

8. "Performance" is missing some options like "CPU voltage" and "Startup tweaks", Init.d, zipalign

9. BLN support missing (was already gone in 3.x)

10. FastCharge feature missing

11. Option to disable SlimBean boot animation

12. Battery icon styles "icon with text" and "icon with centered text" missing (they used to be available and still are in AOKP 4.2.1)

13. No navigation bar and nice background in CWM (like in some earlier releases

14. USB Mass Storage in CWM does not work

I hope these features will be back soon.... ;)

Missing stuff that would be nice

15. Add EAP-SIM WiFi authentification method (necessary for hotspots like "FreeWiFi_secure" or "SFR WiFi Mobile" in France)
This used to work in SlimBean 3.1 by replacing the wpa_supplicant file in \system\bin with a version taken from a 4.0.x Samsung ROM.
However, in SlimBean 4.2.1 that procedure partly breaks WiFi support.
There are multiple references to EAP-SIM in "\system\bin\wpa_supplicant"
You might also want to have a look at here

Things I am wondering what exactly they are supposed to do

16. Is "Increasing volume alarm" that the same as "Added ascending volume option to Deskclock" (mentioned twice in change log) I cannot see any settings for these.

17. Whats is 5/8 targets selection?

18. What has been enhanced regarding GPS?

Regarding AIO Dark Gapps

19. Default app selection window is still white. Is that the intended behaviour?

20. Could you replace SMS icon with a Holo Blue couloured one?

21. Google calendar is old (non Play Store) version while in regular AIO the new version is included

22. Wouldn't it be nice to make stock Sound Recorder accessible from the app drawer (like in CM10 nightly) instead of that awkward Speech Recorder

23. Google Ears/Sound Search widget is outdated (it has to be unfreezed for users outside the US by using Market Enabler, then enabled and updated from Play Store)

24. Did you forget to update Play Store to 3.10.10 ?

Thank you,

ulysse

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimBeanOP2.png

Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any damages on your device.

Original Slim Features:

1. The Real Dark Slim
    2. Notification drawer Shortcuts
    3. Full hardware key rebinding!
    4. Keyboard rotation
    5. SlimCenter

Check out our full feature list here

Important Notes:

• Build 8 is the final 4.2.2 build for Slim Bean
    • NO ETA's...
    • Fully compiled from AOSP source ( source.android.com) with our mods.
    • Read the Change-log and installation instructions from the official website carefully.
    • Feature requests will be ignored in general, but we will review ( if a relevant commit or source is provided) and then decide.
    • Please provide a logcat if reporting a bug.
    • Strictly NO ports based on our ROM zip (official or unofficial build) file, manifest.xml will be updated regularly and feel free to compile from source.
    • No discussions/screenshots etc in the thread about battery life, "best settings/gov/scheduler" for "best battery life" etc... see here for the reasons why...

Changelog
    Find our latest Changelog go here

Chat with the slim team and other slim users
    • IRC: #slimusers@freenode
    • New to IRC? Don't have a native app? Try the Freenode web client [link] or the Firefox extension Chatzilla [link]
    • Google+ [link]
    • Twitter [link]
    • Facebook [Link]

Installation instructions
    For Most Users
    Please keep in mind if a special instruction is needed it will be noted in the Changelog
    • Download the latest build from [here]
    • Addons ( if you don't have it already) from [here]
    • !Recommended! Full wipe, and manual format /system
    • Flash ROM and the addons you want, reboot

FAQ
    Check out out FAQ before posting! Keeps more common questions answered in one place!

Help us out!
    If you want to help us by translating slim to your language check out Crowdin.net and submite your translations.
    Or consider a donation.

Thanks!
    You can find the full list of credits here

Source
    Please visit here for the rom source code.
    Kernel source can be found here
    Known Issues (as of Build 7):

Device Specific:
    • Wifi Direct is not working
    • BT - A2DP does not transmit Artist/Track info (AOSP BT stack issue :()
    • Zoom on camcorder at 1080p is broken
    • Front camcorder buggy
    • USB Dock audio broken

General:
    Just to be clear...

I have tested this extensively... I have other people testing it... This is why we don't do nightlies...

Yes, we are including CM's open source RIL
    NO, we don't have the RIL issues that Rootbox has (because I figured out what was wrong and fixed it) :fingers-crossed:

For the record, initially, I did have a broken RIL... Couldn't send touch tones in a call, couldn't hangup etc...

TLDR; PROTIP: make clobber, tell your friends ;)

Long Version: Turns out that, for whatever reason, the old (Sammy blob) version of libril.so was being cached and injected into the build, despite the fact that it had been removed from vendor/samsung/proprietary/i9100/lib/ :confused:

So, you'd end up with new opensource /system/bin/rild, but old /system/lib/libril.so.

They wouldn't play nicely together and you'd get the messed up phone functionality... :rolleyes:

Old version of libril.so was, from memory, 49,100 bytes, new compiled one was 35,336 bytes...

So I did what I always do when things are not being recompiled properly... I did a "make clobber"... Which completely removes the entire build directory AND wipes the compiler cache...

Et voilà... New libril.so is built and used and everything works as it should... :thumbup: :cool:

Note: The compiler cache is useful, in that it can cut down compile time dramatically... A full build from scratch after make clobber, using 2 threads (have to play nice with rest of team sharing build box :p) will take about an hour... If the cache is available... It'll take less than 30minutes! Very handy if you're doing a lot of compiling...

The only issue, is that sometimes, you get situations like this, where, for whatever reason, the system doesn't detect a change and just bundles the old libraries in... :(

Which brings me to my last point... Why I am (and most of the Slim team are) hesitant to do nightlies... (to be honest, I'm not 100% comfortable with weeklies, but they're a good way to get feedback on new features and real world user testing ;))

Nightlies are, usually, just automatic builds of whatever is in the repo... About the only checking, is that the compile finished without errors...

This is why they are always plastered with warnings that they are highly experimental in nature, possibly broken, use at your own risk, read before you flash, make backups etc...

And yet, people still moan and whinge and complain at the devs and say things like "y u release broken build??!?"...

I personally, and the Slim team as a whole, take quality seriously... Sure we've made mistakes in the past, and released subpar versions.. . And you know what? We were so concerned about it, that we modified our entire dev and release process to try to make sure it never happens again...

This is why we:
    - moved away from the "every 2 weeks" release cycle we used to have.
    - implemented gerrit to allow for proper peer code review and testing
    - implemented a release cycle that involves code freeze, dedicated testing and final release

Will our ROM always be perfect? No... But will we always strive to make it as close to perfect as possible? YES! :D

Sent from my SlimBean pwned GT-I9100
    Now... for some general discussion on a couple of topics...

Firstly... Battery Life...

There shall be no more discussions/screenshots etc about battery life, "best settings/gov/scheduler" for "best battery life" etc...

battery is, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, very much a "personal" thing... your own particular usage patterns, apps, cell network, signal strength, RF interference, WiFi config, battery condition, brightness levels etc etc, will define what you get out of the phone/battery...

I've seen folks who consider "normal" usage, to be having no apps installed, running all black themes/apps and sending 2 text messages a day and making or receiving one phone call of 2 minutes in length... with WiFi disabled and no mobile data. I've also seen folks who consider "normal" to be sending about 100 text messages a day... making 2 hours worth of phone calls... and listening to music via BT headphones, watching video or playing 3D games while updating Facebook every 5 minutes...

There is no magic bullet... there is no magic governor/scheduler combo which is suddenly going to grant you 3 days of constant 3D gaming etc...

If you suddenly get unusually high battery drain for your situation... there is about a 99% chance that you have a rogue app causing wakelocks... install BetterBatteryStats, find out what is causing all the wakelocks and fix it. If you end up in the 1%, have investigated and sought help in the BBS thread and discovered that it is actually something system related (and have BBS reports to prove it!) then go ahead and post here...

Smartphone battery life in general is just poor compared to that old Nokia 3310 that you used to own that lasted for 7 days on a charge... get over it.

Remember, this is, technically, a dev thread... and while I'm happy to have "general discussion" in here, mostly because a 2-thread system doesn't work... posts about battery life, and screen shots of how awesome/poor your setup is, just don't result in anything meaningful... and to be blatantly honest, there isn't anything we can really do about it to make any significant difference. Sure we might be able to get you an extra 15 mins of screen on time by tweaking the CPU and/or GPU voltages by -25mv... and opening you up to freezes, lag and random reboots in the process. :rolleyes:

If you don't like this... feel free to go open a battery thread in the General and/or Q&A forums... any more posts in this thread regarding battery life will be reported and removed (and yes, the OP will be updated to reflect this)...

HALO...

quite a polarising topic this one... some folks think it is the best thing to have happened to Android. Some folks seem to think it was some sort of plague devised by Apple to destroy Android. Others simply don't care, as they realise if it ever gets implemented, it will have an On/Off switch... much like SlimPIE ;)

As it stands, HALO just isn't ready for Slim. There are some fundamental issues with it that need to be resolved before you'll see it on an "Official" Slim build and we're not sure they can or will be resolved. This isn't just performance related either. We're talking things like:

• The install button problem, can't press "Install" on the APK installation screen. (possibly already solved)
    • G+, whatsapp and some parts of youtube (lpe videos) are cut off or gave weird results in a floating window just to mention 3 bigger apps
    • if an app call an activity from a floating window and is waiting for activityResult the callback does not work.... Major issue!!
    • memory leaks need to be solved especially for our old devices. There is some code cleanup needed. Just turn it off for this devices do not resolve it
    This doesn't mean it will never be implemented... just that we feel it is detrimental to the overall quality and stability of the ROM as things currently stand. And of course, as with most things like this... if we ever do roll it out, it'll be a feature that you can turn on/off ;)

On a similar topic... Hybrid mode... probably never going to happen. In our opinion, it just isn't worth the sacrifice that would have to be made to stability and performance to achieve. Consequently, this is not actively being considered, at this point, by the Slim team.

Finally... a small teeny tiny little request... should you choose to respond to this or any of my long posts... please, for the love of little green robots everywhere... DON'T QUOTE THE WHOLE POST... remove all the bits that are not relevant!