WARNING Three Mobile are THROTTLING All You Can Eat Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

newbintraining

May 31, 2012
Hi guys received an email today and you can still cancel if you wish as a gesture of goodwill. I suggest you do as whatever contract you are on should now be cheaper than when you signed up anyway. Well it is in my case so win win.

Over the weekend we took the decision to remove a certain aspect of our TrafficSense™ programme.* We had been trialling a heavy user programme which allocated high data users a proportional amount of network at peak times.
While we are still running our TrafficSense™ initiative there's a level of flexibility in every initiative we launch and we refine each initiative all the time.* On this occasion we wanted to be able to get a genuine view of the customer experience.* In light of our review the heavy usage trial has ended for the time being.* We're now evaluating the results to develop how we implement the highest data user elements of TrafficSense™ in the future.
Although we've stopped our heavy usage trial at the moment we're always reviewing all aspects of TrafficSense™, as we have a duty to give all our customers the best possible experience. This means TrafficSense™ may trial and introduce different ways of achieving this, when it’s necessary to manage types of network traffic to make sure that the overall experience is the best it can be.
At the moment you should find that you're no longer managed in such a way.* As you've been offered cancellation previously I'm still willing to offer this as a gesture of goodwill, although if you were to then reconnect to our network we would not be able to offer any cancellation under our TrafficSense™ programme as you'd be aware of the initiative when you sign up.
If you'd still like to cancel your contract can you please provide the following information:

- Your Three mobile number/account number
- Your postcode
- Your date of birth

Ah right, did you email the exec office or something? I got a reply from them regarding my email to the ceo and they said yesterday that they are investigating, still yet to hear if I can cancel.

Simon5451

May 29, 2012
Ah right, did you email the exec office or something? I got a reply from them regarding my email to the ceo and they said yesterday that they are investigating, still yet to hear if I can cancel.

I have emailed the exec but received no reply. I got this after going via twitter. They seem to have a good knowledge of everything and have power to grant cancellations. As its now purely goodwill there is no chance of keeping the handset however. Now I have the big dilema,do i stay with three on a new cheaper contract where I have excellent signal or do I go T Mobile which Is new terrotory. Also do I get another HOX or go SGIII :rolleyes:

newbintraining

May 31, 2012
I have emailed the exec but received no reply. I got this after going via twitter. They seem to have a good knowledge of everything and have power to grant cancellations. As its now purely goodwill there is no chance of keeping the handset however. Now I have the big dilema,do i stay with three on a new cheaper contract where I have excellent signal or do I go T Mobile which Is new terrotory. Also do I get another HOX or go SGIII :rolleyes:

Ah right, which twitter is it I need to contact then? I've got nowhere in a week trying to phone and email really. Are they refunding the money you initially paid for the handset too? Also go for the S3 imo ;)

Last edited:

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester

Had the exact same dilemma. Posted my ONE X back to them yesterday and went out and got a GS3. Don t regret it, it is a better phone.
Went on the "One Plan" as last time I was on a different one and discovered I couldn't tether hence why I was throttled. Now on the One Plan its allowed so I should be fine. Happy to adjust my downloading. Still going to stream as usual (Lovefilm, youtube) and see how I get on.
Only issue is they asked for a £150 deposit this time when they didn't last time. Get it back in 3 months.

Simon5451

May 29, 2012
Ah right, which twitter is it I need to contact then? I've got nowhere in a week trying to phone and email really. Are they refunding the money you initially paid for the handset too? Also go for the S3 imo ;)

Contact them on @3UkSupport or email socialmediacare@three.co.uk. Within 10 minutes of me confirming I want to cancel they have cut me off so I now have no phone! Pretty poor imo as I requested they do it monday to give me time to sort a new one! Also if my phone isnt returned I owe them £800 :eek: I may have only been offered this as I was offered a cancellation before so in effect it would have been hard for them to backtrack. The fact it states im a lawyer on my twitter account probably helped too ;)

Good luck in your quest for consumer justice.

newbintraining

May 31, 2012
Contact them on @3UkSupport or email socialmediacare@three.co.uk. Within 10 minutes of me confirming I want to cancel they have cut me off so I now have no phone! Pretty poor imo as I requested they do it monday to give me time to sort a new one! Also if my phone isnt returned I owe them £800 :eek: I may have only been offered this as I was offered a cancellation before so in effect it would have been hard for them to backtrack. The fact it states im a lawyer on my twitter account probably helped too ;)

Thanks, I contacted them on twitter, will try email too. I first complained on Thursday when TS was still active, still can't see an end in sight.

Edit: Got told I would have to speak to cs (which is a no go as it was escalated on friday, still waiting to hear back). Send an email to that address also. Getting sick of chasing three about to get a damn answer out of them!

Last edited:

cirian75

Oct 23, 2007
Chorlton, Manchester

Section 2.3 of 3 t and c say phone is not part on contract

Simon5451

May 29, 2012
But if the cancellation is "goodwill" they can set the terms of it. If you can prove that they have breached TOS then yes you keep the phone and void the contract, but if not they can do anything as they don't have to cancel it at all.

This^

Its fair to say that if you went to court the plaintiff would probably get the decision, more to do with misrepresentation though rather than a breach of contract. I have no time nor desire to go down this route,especially as this policy has now been lifted. Of all the people who have argued with three noone has been given their handset and im sure many have quoted s 2.3 of the terms. At the end of the day three have responded and lifted the policy and also agreed to still cancel policies which is fair enough. They have acted terribly throughout the process but perhaps theyve learnt a lesson, and hopefully we shall see All you can eat * subject to trafficsense in the future.

Hands0n

Sep 17, 2009
What gets me is that Three claim it was a trial yet the TrafficSence documents still appear on the website with the customer service reps referring to them as in the terms and conditions as fact. Some may call me cynical but when you get invited to free dinners and alike by Three it's very easy to come on a forum and try and put a positive spin for the company about this TrafficSence. I have a strong feeling that throttling using this TrafficSense on the All You Can Eat One Plan is coming very soon in the near future and it is not what I signed upto.

Actually, it isn't quite as easy as you may suggest, cynically or otherwise. Allow me for a moment to offer my perspective.

Take a moment to think about it. As a blogger, forum mod or even forum regular contributor it is incumbent upon the individual to remain as impartial as they can. Otherwise it draws precisely the suggestion that you're putting forward. If true, and the blogger is a firm's patsy, then their credibility is shot to pieces. It becomes pointless blogging etc.

While not a professional blogger I do, however, take some considerable pride to remain impartial. In fact, I have been a fierce critic of 3 as was and even Three as it came to be. I also remain highly critical of Three's off-shore call centre. The company has yet to convince me, and demonstrate, that any of their efforts to get the call centre under a sane control have succeeded.

However, praise where praise is due, Three have been absolutely ground breaking in the UK in relation to smartphone tariffs. With The One Plan plus AYCE being their flagship tariff. Their 3G network too, despite significant challenges, remains the most built-out of any single operator. It has the lowest latency and the highest typical speeds where available. Many of the reasons, after all, why a lot of us are using Three.

Blogger impartiality is also demonstrated by all of the bloggers who do not get invited to MNO-organised get togethers. There are plenty out there who would, and have, reflect similar views to what I, and others, have already.

I don't think you're being cynical, it is a reasonable question to raise. But no, we're not Three stooges :) just because the firm bought us a drink and a sandwich.

Last edited:

newbintraining

May 31, 2012
Right, got a bit more info. My complaint has been raised all the way to the exec level now so i have to wait, but was assured that tomorrow it will be assigned to someone and they will look into it and contact in the next few days ( probably looking at next week now, thanks bank holiday >_> ). At least it's something. If they offer the goodwill cancellation I will take it if they refund my initial payment on the phone, I just want to get out now, getting fed up.

cirian75

Oct 23, 2007
Chorlton, Manchester

Three seem to be in violation of OfCom rule 9.3

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/01/can-a-telecoms-provider-change-the-terms-of-your-contract/

If a communications provider wants to alter a contract’s terms and conditions, they must consider, among other things, whether the change will be of material detriment to their customers.
Under General Condition 9.3, communications providers must provide customers for whom a change is likely to be of material detriment with one month’s notice of the change.
Customers must also be informed that they are entitled to terminate their contract without penalty if the change is not acceptable to them.

newbintraining

May 31, 2012
I believe there was a traffic management clause withing their terms though? Or am I mistaken?

I think there is, but they claimed there was no fair use or management all the while they were flaunting the AYCE data. Probably why they are offering these goodwill cancellations, they haven't breached, but are willing to try and calm the storm.

Hands0n

Sep 17, 2009
From Three's blog when launching The One Plan with All You Can Eat Data

We’re calling it All-you-can-eat Data, and it’s not like anything you’ll see from anyone else. Unlike other data plans, there are no restrictions and no crafty ‘fair usage’ policies containing hidden data caps. We’re leaving behind the ‘old mobile’ world of limits and allowances in favour of a new world that gives you the freedom to use your smartphone to do everything it was designed for without the worry of cost.

Our new world has no data restrictions, you can use as much as you want and we’ll never charge you a penny more.

If you’ve been to all-you-can-eat restaurants before, you’ll already be familiar how this works. You pay once, you get as much as you want the first time round, and you can still keep coming back for more. And yes, if you want to use your phone as a dongle (also known as tethering) then you absolutely can.

Source: http://blog.three.co.uk/2010/12/15/new-all-you-can-eat-data-on-the-one-plan/

So thats the marketing promotional words. They are loose enough for interpretation and also misinterpretation. And thats the trouble really. What meaning we take from those words differs by the individual.

For instance "... there are no restrictions ..." I take to mean on type of traffic that you can access. Other networks, T-Mobile for example, may constrain what type of traffic you can access.

Then there is "We’re leaving behind the ‘old mobile’ world of limits and allowances ... ", that I relate to data caps or FUPs.

In both examples I take these to relate to the quantity of data that I may have access to being without limitation. Or in the proper use of the English word ... "unlimited".

So, even with TrafficSense, is that marketing claim not still accurate?

My own view is that traffic management is an inevitability on all networks. It already is on some terrestrial networks - Virgin Media is a good example. And already we see that T-Mobile have blanket traffic management in place, limiting speed of The Full Monty to 3.8Mbps while staying completely tight lipped about it, not even a subject open for discussion :D Not very transparent really.

I, too, think that Three messed up with the initial deploy of TrafficSense. But isn't it creditworthy that they pulled it rather than persist and try to make it work in situ? Or maintain a wall of silence while they were doing so?

But I suppose the biggest question in my mind, reading the pages of discussion about jettisoning Three and going elsewhere, is where? Where else are you going to go to receive a comparable service at a comparable price?

Bear in mind that, at this time, none of us know what TrafficSense Part II is going to be like.

Meanwhile, TrafficSense is passive, network speeds are maintained, and so the pressure or need to jump ship is greately lessened (or removed entirely) for now.

Wouldn't the better thing be to wait it out, see what happens next, and make a firm and final decision on that basis?

linuxnubee

Apr 19, 2012
head here for transcript

oheres some good read for those who cannot here the audio version

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27114803&postcount=2

she tells me they throttle people by manually choosing in effect three are victimising us for using what they promise in the first place.

as stated sum1 should make a freedom of choice request for how many users and how many being throttled 5% my yarrrse lol

chazam

Nov 26, 2005
Thurrock
gplus.to
Well something seems up with one of our Three connections.

I have my connection that I use extensively for tethering and I'm getting this:
192704496.png

Classic example of crippled download speeds and faster upload speeds.

My wife's three phone (sitting next to mine) is getting this:
192704153.png

Something is definitely up for our connections. Both phones side by side with speed test ran at the same time.

newbintraining

May 31, 2012

192704496.png

192704153.png

Something is definitely up for our connections. Both phones side by side with speed test ran at the same time.

Mines been acting strange lately too, normally get 2.5/3 down with about 1 up, yet yesterday I was getting 1 down 2.5 up :confused:

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
I was back to super slow speeds earlier today (5pm GMT), with stupid ping times (300-400ms!) with downloads of 0.2Mbps and uploads of 1mbps...

I was on the train and passed by the area where I got 14Mbps with my MiFi and the same - 250ms, and stupidly slow speeds.

Very odd, and somewhat disappointing. Although if it's any consolation, especially for those thinking of moving to another network, my day-to-day phone on Orange didn't work on data AT ALL when I got into London at 6pm GMT! Had to go into airline mode and back out to get it to reconnect to data, and I had DNS problems so couldn't view any web pages at all for a couple of hours.

The grass isn't always greener....

dellaclearing

Nov 30, 2010

192704496.png

192704153.png

How did you get the little Speedtest.net screens?!
Sorry for Newb questions but I'd also to post comparisons of me and my GF's phones, both on 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All-you-can-eat data on The One Plan.
    What's the limit?
    There are no restrictions for the all-you-can-eat data that now comes with The One Plan. This means you can use your smartphone as you like - so you can download apps, browse the web, look at maps and check your emails as often as you like.

This is what Three post on their website. however the moderators on their blog say this:

You’ll only have your traffic managed if you are a disproportionately high data user (in the top 5% of high data users) and when you are using data in a busy cell site area between peak hours of 6pm to 12am. Try to move some of your data usage outside of these hours. You should see a speed improvement after seven days.

However they seem to forget that they throttle you down to 75Kbps which is near dial up speed. I actually get 0.02Mb/s now.

They created the one plan and all you can eat data as a limit free data usage service they appear to have back tracked on their promise and breached contracts that where out before this http://support.three.co.uk/srvs/cgi-...fic mana*'came into affect.

However they still claim this when you ask them:

I can confirm that with all-you-can-eat data there are no restrictions or hidden ‘fair use’ policies on the amount of data you can use. This means you can use your smartphone as you like – so you can download apps, browse the web, look at maps and check your emails as often as you like without worrying about going over a data allowance. I’m afraid it does not cover sending a MMS, it’s best to check out our pricing guide to confirm how much this would be.

My contract is a year old and predates traffic sense i found this http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/0...your-contract/ so im cancelling my contract Three are meant to be ringing back in 24 hours to discuss it.
    As this is a breach of our right as not only did they do it without notifying us they changed our contract for the worse.

and i used 10GB over 2 months so 5gb a month i hardly think that a lot.

Ofcom

020 7981 3040 option 1

ASA

http://www.asa.org.uk/Complaints/How...orm/Step2.aspx

BBC WatchDog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...Ofcom_Tra1.pdf

Page 5, point 17.

This is exactly what three has done

Unconstrained traffic management has the potential for consumer/citizen harm if:
    1. it is used as pretext for potentially unfair discrimination; or
    2. it leads to consumer misunderstanding or mistrust of the service that they had expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwiIB2wYJIo
    some people here seem to be missing the point.

Three have marketed heavily recently and presumably have had lots of signups, each of which is a new revenue stream. If people then start using the service that they've paid for and it reaches capacity, then all Three have to do is use these increased revenue streams to increase the capacity of the network. If they went from 2 million customers to 4 million customers then they've got twice as much load on the network, but twice as much revenue to ensure the network runs as it did previously.

Second of all there's a philosophical/discrimination issue here. Why does someone who uses a network less have a greater right to speed at a given time than someone who uses it regularly? Surely everyone (assuming they pay the same amount) has the same right to speed and access at all times.
    Do these sound like the words of someone who had all he could eat?
    This is how I would manage the network for peak time

00.00 to 14.59 leave it as is

15.00 to 23.59

Network wide speed for everyone of 3.8mbps (3.5mbps is enough for 720p streaming video)

Anyone breaching 3GB in that time gets reduced to 1/1.5mbps till 23.59

Anyone breaching 3GB 3 times in a week gets 1/1.5mbps reduction for the next 7 days peak time.

Everyone gets the internet, even the abusers get a usable connection.
    Thought

This capping the top 5% will create a new top 5%, who will get capped, will create a new top 5%, who will get capped, will create a new top 5%, who will get capped, will create a new top 5%, who will get capped, will create a new top 5% who will get capped, will create a new top 5%, who will get capped.

I am being stupid here, or did that make sense ?