Bell Mobility (Ontario) repair timelines

Search This thread

Lightarrow

Jan 23, 2008
When you win provider contests like that, does that mean you have to sign up with them? or do they just give you the phone with no strings?

Well, i haven't received the phone yet so i can't really say for sure. But in the contest rules and regulations, there was no mention of any strings attached to the device. Your just win a phone ;) I am assuming telus will call me and propose plans and such but im already with bell (3yr) If they want to pay my fees with bell i would switch but i doubt they would ...

What was the problem with your phone? Was it an SD card failure, or some other problem?

Well, my phone died oct 18th, SD failure (black screen after galaxy s animation) cannot mount mbk something ... in recovery (dead sd i think), sent it for repairs and received it back november 3rd ( they replaced motherboard with a i9000 motherboard). Then i went ahead and flashed Doc's rom. Worked flawlessly for 2 weeks, then, i got a infinite boot loop, tried flashing back JH2 with odin, tried flashing other roms with odin and finally gave up. Recovery was not working for some reason ... but download mode was working fine. Basically i could not get past the i9000m screen, it just boot looped. Maybe it was a bug with the kernel (see Supercurio posts) but i think the SD died again, cannot be 100% sure tho ...

frandromeda

Oct 27, 2010
they replaced motherboard with a i9000 motherboard.

Wait. Are you telling us that they gave you an i9000 motherboard rather than an i9000m motherboard? As in, the mb for the international model rather than the Canadian model? If that's the case, it will be REALLY interesting to see if they replace the motherboard again, or if it's some other problem. It seems that only phones in Canada are dying in large numbers, and we've always suspected it's something to do with the hardware. If your internal sd died again but on the international hardware, then either you're very unlucky, or there's something very very strange going on...

frandromeda

Oct 27, 2010
see my update in the first post.
Thanks for your work on this. I'm going to wait until after the (supposed) deadline for my fix, but if that doesn't work, I'll for sure take the same approach as you. This original galaxy loaner that I've got just isn't cutting it...

It's interesting that although Samsung has admitted that this is a problem, this hasn't been picked up by the mainstream media at all. (Do a search on google news, you won't find much.) I guess that's what we get for living in a small market like Canada, but I still wish Engadget or Gizmodo would write some sort of scathing article talking about our woes. That would light a fire under SamBell's ass, for sure.... Anyone know how to make this happen?

masterslacker

Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
Thanks for your work on this. I'm going to wait until after the (supposed) deadline for my fix, but if that doesn't work, I'll for sure take the same approach as you. This original galaxy loaner that I've got just isn't cutting it...

It's interesting that although Samsung has admitted that this is a problem, this hasn't been picked up by the mainstream media at all. (Do a search on google news, you won't find much.) I guess that's what we get for living in a small market like Canada, but I still wish Engadget or Gizmodo would write some sort of scathing article talking about our woes. That would light a fire under SamBell's ass, for sure.... Anyone know how to make this happen?

Unfortunately, Samsung has never admitted a problem in any public statement. From what I was told by the Bell client care manager, Samsung has told Bell directly that they are aware of the issues with failing SD cards, and are investigating the causes/fixes. Furthermore, Bell was also directed NOT to replace phones with new ones under any circumstances unless it is within their 30 day window for dead phones. So if our phones go into limbo awaiting parts that are not arriving, then they just wait.

C.Flat

Well, i haven't received the phone yet so i can't really say for sure. But in the contest rules and regulations, there was no mention of any strings attached to the device. Your just win a phone ;) I am assuming telus will call me and propose plans and such but im already with bell (3yr) If they want to pay my fees with bell i would switch but i doubt they would ...

Well, my phone died oct 18th, SD failure (black screen after galaxy s animation) cannot mount mbk something ... in recovery (dead sd i think), sent it for repairs and received it back november 3rd ( they replaced motherboard with a i9000 motherboard). Then i went ahead and flashed Doc's rom. Worked flawlessly for 2 weeks, then, i got a infinite boot loop, tried flashing back JH2 with odin, tried flashing other roms with odin and finally gave up. Recovery was not working for some reason ... but download mode was working fine. Basically i could not get past the i9000m screen, it just boot looped. Maybe it was a bug with the kernel (see Supercurio posts) but i think the SD died again, cannot be 100% sure tho ...

The infinite boot screen happened to me too. I don't think it's even possible to get into recovery mode when it does that. It reboots before it can get there

groaner

Jan 4, 2009
Ottawa
anyone getting a result from the bell repair status page?
all I ever get is
"Please contact store where repair transaction originated to ensure replacement unit is ready for pick up."

I called the store i dropped my repair off to and they say the site has been down for weeks. Great service.

frandromeda

Oct 27, 2010
all I ever get is
"Please contact store where repair transaction originated to ensure replacement unit is ready for pick up."

I called the store i dropped my repair off to and they say the site has been down for weeks. Great service.

seems like it's still working for me:

The current status of your repair is:

Parts required to repair phone are backordered. Delivery of parts expected on 20101221 .

Thank you for visiting bell.ca.

Uss_Defiant

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
seems like it's still working for me:

The current status of your repair is:

Parts required to repair phone are backordered. Delivery of parts expected on 20101221 .

Thank you for visiting bell.ca.

Parts required to repair phone are backordered. Delivery of parts expected on 20101206 .

Which is today :( Thanks for info, plz keep us updated.

masterslacker

Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
all I ever get is

Mine still shows the original "parts expected on 20101201", which was last week, yet FutureTel says that no parts have arrived. The dates are just estimates, and from what I gather, hold absolutely no weight.

PrinceOD

Jan 16, 2009
I sent mine in last week (dead mmcblk1) and it's still showing that it's in transit. I think the page is just a placebo to make people who are using terrible, terrible loaners feel like there's progress happening.

Omnia II here, at least they were able to give me a smartphone... but wow it's not good!

The idea that Samsung is telling Bell not to replace phones unless they're within the 30 day window kind of makes sense if Samsung is looking to quietly update the hardware – they may be trying to ensure that the majority of the old units are gone so they can get an idea of a failure-rate, so they're keeping the invoices dates and phones as close as they can. Who knows? If they do fix it, that'll be awesome, because I miss the heck out of my phone! So much so that I picked up a Galaxy Tab yesterday so I have something to do on a cross-country flight next weekend.

aquenne

Apr 14, 2010
Sent mine in for repair Nov 22 (for its second repair)

Got a call from bell earlier this week saying there are part shortages and could be early 2011!!!!!

i just fired an email to the exec offices at bell (this is just one of the many issues that have gone on with my 5mo old relationship w/ bell)

striker456

Sep 18, 2010
mine went in on nov26, but i haven't heard from them. status is still being inspected/repaired.
i am going to be pissed if it takes until the new year. i have the old galaxy on 1.6. total pos.

C.Flat

As I said in my original post, I sent it in on October 30th, almost 6 weeks ago. I still don't have it back yet.

AND, just to make me even more mad, the loaner SGS that I was promised would be shipped to me and received by yesterday has not arrived either.

Froyo is finally out now, lets see if those repair centers get even more backlogged soon

PermaFried

Apr 1, 2009
Canada
Just a question, but is bell responsible to give you a Loaner phone since you paid for your phone and it's not working? Will they adjust your bill since you are not using the product?

Beast11

Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
wow...this is sad... I sent mine in on Nov 25th and by the looks of it im not gonna get it back till 2010... :| I might just go and buy a desire Z when my exams are over and sell the sgs wen it comes...if it does...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody,

I sent my i9000m for repairs on October 30th, still waiting for it to return, and was told there is a backorder for parts. I'm waiting for an entire phone control board replacement (SD card died). The Bell warranty "tracking" site says the parts are expected on December 1st.

I would like to know if there are any Bell Mobility users out there who have recently gotten back their i9000m from repairs, how long it took, and what the problem was.

Perhaps we could start a threat, so that people can share up-to-date information for how long repairs are taking.

Thanks, Mike.

ps. For those who don't know, you can "track" your repair at http://www.bell.ca/warranty/ and click on the "track your repair online" blue button. However, I have no idea how accurate the information is on the page.

update - December 3rd: Today I again spoke with representatives at FutureTel, the company that repairs the Samsung phones. My phone is still awaiting parts, even though the date on Bell's site says December 1st. I was informed that the dates on Bell's tracking pages are estimates. They have absolutely no way of knowing for sure when parts will arrive. I was also told over the phone that they have not gotten any shipments "recently", but were unable to confirm when the last shipment of parts came in. So in other words, they have absolutely no idea when it would be fixed. Furious about the situation, I called Bell customer service, who forwarded me to technical support, who forwarded me to client care, who forwarded me to a manager, who told me that SAMSUNG HAS ADMITTED TO BELL THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE PHONE AND THAT THEY ARE "WORKING ON IT". Also due to the fact that my phone has been out for 5 weeks now, he agreed to ship to me a loaner SGS until mine is fixed, free of charge - no deposit or fee required. He also told me that he would open a support ticket for this particular problem, and attempt to contact Samsung directly about this problem. So, we'll see what happens next.

update - December 10th: Yesterday morning I received my loaner SGS from Client Care in BC. It came with an i9000 JP2 firmware installed on it. I'm sure that the Bell people were experimenting and forgot to reset it back to stock JH2. Anyways, the phone was running horribly, lagging a lot, and it wouldn't let me install some market apps (Install Error 18) which I could not fix. I got fed up last night and installed JK4 via Odin. Now it's working beautifully. Apps install great, and everything is running very smoothly. Oh and BTW, I still have no ETA for my phone being repaired. Tomorrow is 6 weeks since I gave it in.

update - December 17th: As of today, the Bell warranty page says "The current status of your repair is: Phone is in transit to store." Here's hoping that things come back soon, and working fine!

update - December 20th: The phone was received by the store this morning, and I picked it up at about noon. It came with JH2 installed on it, NOT JK3/JK4. Looks like they really think that Froyo is an issue, even though it is not the root issue. Also, the comments say "work performed: replaced PBA - Other - BGA failure. repair code: 312", whatever that means. Looks to be the same as this user: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9890519&postcount=893

update - January 1st 2011: After receiving the phone on Dec 20th, I flashed JK4 with no issues (did not lagfix/root/anything). On Dec 24th, I flashed JL2 with no issues (did no lagfix/root/anything). So far no main issues. Still trying to figure out a way to SIM unlock the thing.