[INFO] codeworkx will no longer make CM for the S4.

Search This thread

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
For me the decision is very easy. If AOSP ROMs can do this:

- perfect working camera
- hdmi out
- "project Butter"
- extfat or any other 64bit file system

I will go away from stock based Roms!

Sent from my GT I9300

Apart from extfat the rest is possible. For that we need proper sources which samsung never releases for exynos properly.

As snapdragon version of s4 will surely get cm, I would like to see the discussion going this way. "whether there will be cm for exynos variant?"

And also how good will the sources of exynos dual will help here?

《posted from s3》

Reactions: browy and harise100

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Apart from extfat the rest is possible. For that we need proper sources which samsung never releases for exynos properly.

As snapdragon version of s4 will surely get cm, I would like to see the discussion going this way. "whether there will be cm for exynos variant?"

And also how good will the sources of exynos dual will help here?

《posted from s3》

Since the Exynos5 dual has a Mali GPU instead of PowerVR, that'll result in the graphics subsystem being an undocumented mess again.

Also, there's a possibility that down the line some sort of gapps-ish exfat approach may be feasible. It should be OK to put in the hooks for FUSE exfat support, however CM most likely can't include the exfat FUSE tools themselves due to licensing issues. So it MIGHT be possible to have a gapps-like situation of "flash this for exfat support".

harise100

Oct 20, 2011
AW: [INFO] codeworkx will no longer make CM for the S4.

Why not get nexus device then?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

I will buy a Nexus phone when it comes with a sd card slot and a removable battery.

Sent from my GT I9300

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Since the Exynos5 dual has a Mali GPU instead of PowerVR, that'll result in the graphics subsystem being an undocumented mess again.

Also, there's a possibility that down the line some sort of gapps-ish exfat approach may be feasible. It should be OK to put in the hooks for FUSE exfat support, however CM most likely can't include the exfat FUSE tools themselves due to licensing issues. So it MIGHT be possible to have a gapps-like situation of "flash this for exfat support".

I could format my sd card to fat32,but then I will be limited to 4gb file size.

Why? WTF?!

Starting with Chainfire, all S3 developers currently support extfat in their recovery systems and kernels, except for CM?

You know, license your self. There is no future!

Sent from my GT I9300

Last edited:

w00tc0d3

Mar 1, 2013
I will buy a Nexus phone when it comes with a sd card slot and a removable battery.

Sent from my GT I9300

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I could format my sd card to fat32,but then I will be limited to 4gb file size.

Why? WTF?!

Starting with Chainfire, all S3 developers currently support extfat in their recovery systems and kernels, except for CM?

Sent from my GT I9300
Ext4.

harise100

Oct 20, 2011

I put my hopes on f2fs.

Sent from my GT I9300

hell_storm2004

Dec 15, 2010
Dallas, Texas
No, we did not "melt down over an internal turf war". ONE person was found to be abusing their access to the website, held it hostage for about 12 hours, and eventually realized that they'd be in a very bad state if they didn't stop. CM regained the original domain, but it was decided for a variety of reasons to retire .com in favor of .org because it should've been done anyway (just no one bothered to push a switchover.)

Do you mean Touchwizz smali-hackers, or AOSP-derivative work? In the case of the latter - with the Exynos-based GS2 or GS3, all of the AOSP-derivative releases (PA, AOKP, etc.) would not have been possible without the initial CM hardware bringup work.

In the case of Touchwizz derivatives - not much impact. Most of the CM guys also did low-level kernel work, but you still have a few people left doing that like Andrei. However, when **** hits the fan it's beneficial to have multiple people working a problem - look at I9100 ICS and its totally broken cpufreq driver as an example. Getting that **** fixed was a pretty big team effort between at least 4-5 different kernel guys.

I guess so. I am not much aware of these technical stuff. Never moved out of the Galaxy S! Back then i heard of tons of names of custom ROMs. But from now on i remain to stay in touch.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

Sent from my GT I9300

Because CM is high profile enough that a company will bother to send us C&Ds. See the gapps mess a few years ago (which is why other people include gapps but we don't), see the DxO DMCA mess, etc.

harise100

Oct 20, 2011

Because CM is high profile enough that a company will bother to send us C&Ds. See the gapps mess a few years ago (which is why other people include gapps but we don't), see the DxO DMCA mess, etc.

That's very unfortunate.
Time will tell, but at the current state, stock based Roms are the only option for me.
Cheers!

Sent from my GT I9300

matejdro

Jul 9, 2009
To everyone saying "get a nexus":

Many people (including myself) do not like nexus hardware (small storage, no replaceable battery, no sd card etc.), but love their software. Thanks to XDA we could get device with good hardware and install great software onto it.

So it's not that simple.

harise100

Oct 20, 2011

It is very simple:

Nexus World and Samsung GALAXY is not the same.

CM is AOSP is Google Stock based on the Google Nexus 7.

WanamLite is not AOSP but it is Samsung stock based on a Samsung Galaxy S3.

No drivers, no chance!

Sent from my GT I9300

Last edited:

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
Who here keeps a phone for a year? Not many. Many go through devices every six months. The loss of CM is no big deal. Plenty of people actually LIKE Samsung and do not want non working hardware or to flash months of "nighties: waiting for something to work so they can have a "vanilla phone"

I find this comment interesting.

Smartphones are extremely expensive. They are actually overpriced but they priced how they are due to demand.

People get phones either.

1 - via contract, contract length average is 18-24 months. so new phone every 18-24, 12 month contracts I have seen but they less common.
2 - outright purchase, PAYG phone. However this is expensive for high end phones like the S4. Most people probably cant afford to do this every 6 months.
3 - used of ebay, passed down from family etc. again if people are buying of ebay they probably really stretched for cash so replacing every 6 months? seems unlikely.

I had my nokia 6300 for 4+ years, I am using my galaxy ace which I got in jan 2011. If I replace it now its had about 2 and half years use.

Android itself is too fragmented and has too many updates, android 5.0 this year? it seems like yesterday ICS got released and 4.2 JB is here. Google upgrading android every 6 months? thats incredibly fast paced, and here we have the answer as to hy CM support less devices. They cant keep up with google, they have to make stable versions before the next android is released. When next android is released they abandon older CM and start on new one, and the cycle continues.

The sad thing is new versions of android the new features are gimmicky, eg. I think GB is better than JB. face unlock? duplicated home screen as lock screen? seriously? these are killer features? Why would I want my lock screen to be a home screen, on JB when I press the home button to turn on the screen I see empty rectangles breifly light up as if its in some sort of debug mode, looks weird. Whilst the lock screen on the S3 TW is better they kept GB style plain and nice. then we have the fact that GB is faster than JB, and IC is also faster than JB.

That doesnt mean I think TW is the best, it has its issues, particurly in it cant be customised as much and it is slower with higher battery drain. Also a problem with AOSP is the dialer is a pile of crap in both ICS and JB, not a single dev has rectified it, it seems its tolerated because its newer.

If you guve users a choice of a nexus or CM to try and screw samsung over I think most will pick samsung. That appears to be the attitude coming from devs as some kind of protest. The nexus is a not a great phone, thats why people are asking for CM on the S4 instead of buying the nexus.

One reason why the S3 is so popular tho (and probably the S4 will be also) is that people who have reviewed the S3 have seriously misled, as if they in samsungs pocket. eg. its apparently a very slim device yet my S3 is no slimmer than my ACE and the S2 is slimmer than the S3. apparently its light, its 80% heavier than my ace and 50% heavier than the S2. its apparently great to hold, I almost dropped it yesterday trying to press the power button (which incidently is tiny), and of course the too small home button which is hard to press as well. The only thing great about the S3 is the screen for using it as a mini computer. I would say the S2 makes a better phone, especially as it can run GB. I can defenitly see now why many people are keeping the S2 over newer phones. Its as if android peaked at 2.4 and phone design peaked at around the S2.

The nexus with its lack of battery cover, physical buttons etc. is a no go for me.

Reactions: DJCrapsody

browy

Apr 1, 2012
Zürich
The sad thing is new versions of android the new features are gimmicky, eg. I think GB is better than JB. face unlock? duplicated home screen as lock screen?
Actually I find your comment even more interesting than his.
You're complaining about new android's features being gimmicks and yet you prefer TW. That must be the joke of the day for me. Dude, go to google, search for S4 new features and you can spend the rest of your day reading comments about how gimmicky they are. Oh, so you think the face unlock feature is a gimmick, tell me how many times have you swiped your palm to take screenshots? Not gimmicky at all? S-voice, do you use it? It is rubbish comparing to Siri and Google Now. Direct Call? If you’re texting someone in the stock SMS app, just put the phone to your head and it calls them. Magic! Except, I can’t recall a single point in my life where I’ve actually called someone directly from a text message.
Why would I want my lock screen to be a home screen, on JB when I press the home button to turn on the screen I see empty rectangles breifly light up as if its in some sort of debug mode, looks weird. Whilst the lock screen on the S3 TW is better they kept GB style plain and nice. then we have the fact that GB is faster than JB, and IC is also faster than JB.
And then we have the fact that anything mentioned above is faster, smoother and battery friendlier than TW. Reading your comment, I think the only thing you're complaining about is the interface, the "GB style", the look of the lockscreen and dialer. Talking about style and look, it's personal taste, while you love your TW cartoony style, others prefer holo. But thing is, while CWM and other custom ROMs allow users to customize the crap out of their phone with their powerful theme engine, TW doesn't.
And please, I choose to hate TW because of my long experience with it, not because of any silly reason you've mentioned. I've owned a S2, S3 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 and not once have I ever thought TW is so faster, smoother, battery friendlier, less gimmicky and much more customizable than other ROMs out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mw86

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
I never said TW features werent all gimmicks but it does seem double standards when android gets rave reviews every update with every dev jumping to it, when 90% of the new features in a new android release are gimmicks. Plus that android slows down on every update and it keeps getting simplified (features cut).

However the contacts app and dialer are better in TW than AOSP for me (I recongise some may prefer the AOSP dialer). I have not yet played with multi window but I can see it may be potentially useful. I think the quick settings toggle on TW is better than the quick settings toggle on android 4.2.

JKAY framework brings a lot to TW as well to the point the only real big advantage AOSP has at that point is its speed, there is no doubting AOSP is very fast.

You are not the only person who has mistaken for me for liking TW theme, by the theme I assume you mean the colours etc. I actually like the AOSP theme, but I dont like its stock apps in particular the dialer and contacts. But it seems from what I have looked into it, its only fixable by changing the framework which is probably why all devs have left it alone. The contact apps on the play store have their own issues.

I used to really hate TW but it has come a long way and does seem much improved on the S3 than it was on my galaxy ACE. A big reason why TW design doesnt change much over the years is that user's who are not IT literate and especially not developers believe it or not do not like change, they want an itnerface they are used to. Remember samsung do have to cater for the millions of users who dont root phones, dont install roms, and it may take them a year to learn how to use it properly, thats why TW is how it is. Its also one reason why nexus phones are not a big player.

As for freedom I am using neatrom with JKAY framework now on my S3 and I can choose between 5+ lockscreen types for a start. Plus it has themes including AOSP theme.

I think both AOSP and TW have merits in their own ways, but I have learned in the last few days TW is actually not that bad anymore.

:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So just to confirm, people are suspecting the US Snapdragon variants will receive the support to continue development?
    I think I saw there will be two of those variants right, the GT-I9505 (International) and SGH-I337 (AT&T). Would they both share the same dev forum or will one version be favored?
    Nothing is ever guaranteed or set in stone until it happens, however:

I believe Cyanogen himself is picking up the AT&T version. I wouldn't expect it to be too problematic to do the bringup due to being Qualcomm-based.

International version probably doesn't have a maintainer lined up yet

So the CM team is retiring for the time being? They will not develop anything at all for a while?

Will getting an S4 with the Qualcomm processor still enable us to get some custom roms?
    No, the CM team is not retiring. The CM team is 80+ people.

However, the majority of the work on the Exynos 4210 and 4412 devices (I9100 and I9300 and close relatives) were done by a core team of about 4 people (5-6 if you count atinm and others that retired back in the Gingerbread days), with maybe 5-10 other frequent routine contributors. All of those core people and the routine contributors that worked on Exynos4 devices are going to other devices from other manufacturers, or outright retiring for a while.

The Qualcomm-based devices have a completely different maintainer team and those people are likely to pick up USA GS4 variants.

lol at these articles not doing a good enough explaining that all this hoopla is referring to the exynos version. They all mention it in passing, and their headlines are all stupid.

Of course qualcomm version will still get tons of support.

Yeah... A lot of the articles had AWFUL headlines... There's a big difference between the Qualcomm and Exynos devices, and there's also a major difference between "future looks bleak" and "absolutely not".

For Qualcomm-based GS4s, the future of CM on those devices looks quite positive. No guarantees, of course. If having stable CM is important to you, wait until stable CM is released for a given device before you purchase it.

For Exynos-based GS4s, the future of CM on those devices looks very bleak. No one has yet to express interest in doing a bringup/being a maintainer for it. The maintainers who have worked with previous devices have said that they absolutely not will be moving forward. But if someone else steps up to the plate, it could get support. I personally don't think that's likely - look at the Note2, codeworkx held back for a few months with the LTE variants before picking one up in order to try and give someone else a chance to step up to the plate. Similarly, it's been known that the Exynos GS2/GS3 family were on minimal life support for ages, but we're still active enough to review patches as they come in... There have been light contributions for minor fixes, but not major work being done by anyone.

The only time so far CM has definitively said NO to support of devices has been the announcement that devices with the Snapdragon S1 series of processors would end the line at CM7 due to lacking proper graphics hardware for CM9 and later. Down the line the team will probably have to make similar announcements for other devices (Tegra2 is barely hanging in there due to lacking NEON support, but that architecture's fate is not final yet.)
    Generally there were 3 developers who maintained samsung devices
    1. Codeworkx
    2. Entropy512 and
    3. Xplodwild
    Of them the first 2 have vowed to never waste their time on exynos
    Xplodwild is still there but how much time he will have I have no idea..
    It will be very difficult to get competent and experienced developers so quickly ..
    So initially S4 will definitely be behind in AOSP development IMO

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I won't be in the game for this one, for the same reasons as cody and entropy.
    Even without teamhacksung I'm 99.9% sure there will be cm and aosp...of course its gonna have bugs...and it will probably take longer to fix them...but eventually this phone will get a fairly stable cm/aosp Rom.

HTC is no better then Samsung with releasing source...actually imho HTC is worse...they actually put hidden codes in the kernel to prevent use on aosp roms...it took months for the devs to figure out how to get in-call Mic working on the HTC vivid because HTC decided to add security codes to prevent non-sense Roms...who's to say they won't do that with the ONE? -just food for thought...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Highly doubtfull. Till date only Team hacksung has been able to bring-up AOSP ROM's on Samsung devices. Yes there are lots of AOSP ROM's for Samsung, but all of them
    wait for team hacksung for CM bring-up and use their changes to build further. Even AOKP and PA uses CM/Team Hacksungs device tree's.

It requires experience and lot of work. I hope someone comes up, but since no new dev has come up for S2 or S3 and existing ones are burned out I doubt it.

HTC did not promise anything. Samsung did, on various occassions and broke the promises. Last promise was to release fully working source for Exynos 4 which was given
    as BBQ event by Samsung's engineers themselves.Samsung had set target of 21st Dec 2012 for initial relase of sources. Nothing has materialized till date.

Samsung screwed up lot of devices due to superbrick bug and took ages to fix it. They endangered previously safe devices like I9100 with a update even after knowing about this
    bug for 3-4 months.
    How much is the pay to be a dev?? :D :laugh:

BTW, what made him quit??

To understand whole story, read from here.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/101093310520661581786/posts/cdPnNjLAb4F

It's a nice read.
    Here's something to ponder. Based on their market share, 70% of Android devices sold in 2013 will be Samsung. If the most recognized and largest development supporter of the Android platform (CM) boycotts Samsung their relegating themselves to 30% of the market. Since enthusiasts (us) make up 5% of device sales, even if every enthusiast boycotted Samsung too, it wouldn't mean a thing to Samsung. And since nature abhors a vacuum, leaving 70% of the Android market unsupported by a credible entity (CM), some enterprising soul or group will create one to capture what CM left behind. And that new larger-than-CM entity will support 70% of the market while CM will be left with the fragmented pieces of what's left. CM's smart. You can see it in the wording they used in their recent statement about not supporting the SGS4. I'm sure there not going to self-immolate to prove a point no matter what any of their individual team members or groups may say to the contrary.

Except you forget we're a volunteer organization. Not supporting a device would not cause us to self-immolate. Supporting a device consumes a valuable resource: Time. It doesn't provide any significant benefit to CM as a whole whether a single given device is well-supported or not.

Has the fact that all Exynos4 devices are stuck at bugridden nightlies despite them being on the order of 10-20% of our installed devices caused CM to implode? No.
    Has anyone replaced the CM Exynos4 maintainers that have throttled back their Exynos4 work to only a tiny fraction of their free time? No... We get occasional contributions from others, but they're rare.