[Q] ROM for Galaxy S3

Search This thread

bio4554

Jun 1, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hello guys. I have a Galaxy S3 (Verizon). Specifically, a SCH-I535. It is running Android 4.3. It has been rooted before, when it had 4.2, but after I did the update, I still have the SU app, but I can't use it because im not rooted. (I think) So hypothetically, say I wanted to install CyanogenMod. Could I? If so, what version? I have Android 4.3. Is it still possible to root? Thanks for any help.

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Hello guys. I have a Galaxy S3 (Verizon). Specifically, a SCH-I535. It is running Android 4.3. It has been rooted before, when it had 4.2, but after I did the update, I still have the SU app, but I can't use it because im not rooted. (I think) So hypothetically, say I wanted to install CyanogenMod. Could I? If so, what version? I have Android 4.3. Is it still possible to root? Thanks for any help.

You can root 4.3 using saferoot, but you cannot flash CyanogenMod or any other AOSP based ROMs. You can only flash 4.3 Touchwiz ROMs using safestrap. You need to be on the ML1 version of 4.3, not the NC1 version. Everything you need to know can be found in the below linked thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639337

bio4554

Jun 1, 2014
Houston, Texas
You can root 4.3 using saferoot, but you cannot flash CyanogenMod or any other AOSP based ROMs. You can only flash 4.3 Touchwiz ROMs using safestrap. You need to be on the ML1 version of 4.3, not the NC1 version. Everything you need to know can be found in the below linked thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639337
\
Ok so my next question, how do I tell if I have NC1, or ML1? Also, will this void my warranty? It says Saferoot will not. Sorry, im such a noob.

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
\
Ok so my next question, how do I tell if I have NC1, or ML1? Also, will this void my warranty? It says Saferoot will not. Sorry, im such a noob.

Go to your about phone screen and look at your baseband version and build number and see what the last 3 characters are. And your warranty is only good for 1 year from the original date of purchase, which I would assume has long since passed. So I wouldn't worry about this voiding your warranty.

bio4554

Jun 1, 2014
Houston, Texas
Go to your about phone screen and look at your baseband version and build number and see what the last 3 characters are. And your warranty is only good for 1 year from the original date of purchase, which I would assume has long since passed. So I wouldn't worry about this voiding your warranty.

Ok thanks so much! I have rooted my phone after flashing ML1, and now I was wondering if I could install CWM Recovery? If so, how? Thanks for all the help.

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Ok thanks so much! I have rooted my phone after flashing ML1, and now I was wondering if I could install CWM Recovery? If so, how? Thanks for all the help.

Check out my first response to you in this thread. You cannot install any kind of custom recovery on ML1. Safestrap is basically your custom recovery. Click on the link in my first response and read up. In the thread I linked you will find a link about Safestrap and a bunch of information you will need.

bio4554

Jun 1, 2014
Houston, Texas
Check out my first response to you in this thread. You cannot install any kind of custom recovery on ML1. Safestrap is basically your custom recovery. Click on the link in my first response and read up. In the thread I linked you will find a link about Safestrap and a bunch of information you will need.
Ok, so basically I installed Safestrap, Rooted, and all was well. Then I went and looked for some custom Touchwiz ROMs, and found this one.
CoolROM 8 Core Edition
I downloaded it, created a new ROM slot on Safestrap, flashed it to the phone with safestrap, then rebooted. First off, the Samsung logo that appears right when you turn on, with the open padlock, is gone. For a split second, a white line appears. Then it goes to the Safestrap, I hit continue, it does first boot like normal, and gets stuck on the samsung logo again. "The last one before android appears". I pulled battery, rebooted. Same as first time, except it booted into android. The setup appears, and now another problem pops up. I cant turn on WiFi. It says turned off, I press the toggle button, but it doesnt turn to the ON state. Please help! I really want to use CleanROM!

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Ok, so basically I installed Safestrap, Rooted, and all was well. Then I went and looked for some custom Touchwiz ROMs, and found this one.
CoolROM 8 Core Edition
I downloaded it, created a new ROM slot on Safestrap, flashed it to the phone with safestrap, then rebooted. First off, the Samsung logo that appears right when you turn on, with the open padlock, is gone. For a split second, a white line appears. Then it goes to the Safestrap, I hit continue, it does first boot like normal, and gets stuck on the samsung logo again. "The last one before android appears". I pulled battery, rebooted. Same as first time, except it booted into android. The setup appears, and now another problem pops up. I cant turn on WiFi. It says turned off, I press the toggle button, but it doesnt turn to the ON state. Please help! I really want to use CleanROM!

Look in the OP of the safestrap thread. Every time you flash a ROM though safestrap you have to also flash the kernel modules in the same flashing session in order for WiFi to work.

bio4554

Jun 1, 2014
Houston, Texas
Look in the OP of the safestrap thread. Every time you flash a ROM though safestrap you have to also flash the kernel modules in the same flashing session in order for WiFi to work.
Omg thank you so much landshark,you have helped me so much. I now have a rooted S3 with Safestrap, and CleanROM 8.1. Everything is working fine. Now my final question(probably not), is there any possible way at all to unlock the bootloader on this thing? If not, is there anyone working on something like that? If not at all, that's ok. Im still satisfied with it so far. Thanks again. Also, on Safestrap, after I hit continue it has a kind of delay before the boot animation is shown(AKA it starts up). Is there any way to change this?

Last edited:

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Omg thank you so much landshark,you have helped me so much. I now have a rooted S3 with Safestrap, and CleanROM 8.1. Everything is working fine. Now my final question(probably not), is there any possible way at all to unlock the bootloader on this thing? If not, is there anyone working on something like that? If not at all, that's ok. Im still satisfied with it so far. Thanks again. Also, on Safestrap, after I hit continue it has a kind of delay before the boot animation is shown(AKA it starts up). Is there any way to change this?

Not possible at all to unlock the bootloader, you are stuck with it. As far as I know, no one is working on trying to figure out a way to unlock the bootloader. All attempts at finding an exploit to unlock the bootloader have not had any success. The bootloader on the S4 was locked down in the same way before the S3, and that hasn't been cracked yet either.

As far as changing the delay on start up with safestrap, best to ask that question in the safestrap thread as I have never used safestrap and just read the thread to stay informed.

Last edited: