[ROOT] 07/Mar GRI40 colour revert: Superboot - rooting the Nexus S

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Before download, you need to check your device 'about' screen to determine which superboot version you need.
  • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot with pre 2.3.3 colour configuration - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 668d8eb2fa2ff6b7f9bd26f1aa4f7923
  • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 6069ea0f4f04f2d35d4a868b4bb886fd
  • Superboot for GRH78 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: a0c8b769986876bf5cb079b2fd9309ff
  • Superboot for GRH55 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 809a8e41ae8f0bb88b870cf1865aedff
The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device.

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' button pressed to enter the bootloader
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail Nexus S, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your PC). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device (including the internal SD storage!)

Enjoy! :)

P

Last edited:

PlankLongBeard

May 24, 2010
On The Moon!
Thank You!

Thank You Paul

I am very happy to see a familiar name within the Nexus S Forums. I hope all your intentions and ideas ( Sense Anyone lol :eek: ) come to light with our new Dev Device. :)

The King Of the Party Has Arrived!​

godsfilth

Mar 31, 2009
thank you for this i dont need it since i did it the "hard" way but its good to see more devs working the nexus s

chris6278

Jun 16, 2010
So is this basically rooting ur phone without unlocking ur bootloader? Yes i know im a noob at this stuff

So is this basically rooting ur phone without unlocking ur bootloader? Yes i know im a noob at this stuff

No, you need to unlock the bootloader in order to flash the system img.
Hence needing to run the command 'fastboot oem unlock' as in the instructions (under Note)
:)

There was not a single report of a user being denied any warranty claim with the Nexus One from custom ROMs, so I really don't see there being an issue with this either. Yes, it's Samsung instead of HTC, but sanity normally provails. Yes, if you over-volted and over-clocked it and melted it, you're on your own, but a tweaked ROM? C'mon, these guys aren't idiots - they are fully aware that this is a Dev phone and will have custom software on there.

poulosjr

Aug 5, 2008
Chicago
Does this root method stick and permanent because I'm having issues of loosing superuser permissions from theunlockr method and koush method

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

barbarossa2

Feb 14, 2010
yeah you use say windows for example just click on he file that says install superboot windows.bat and thats it you are rooted and then download clockwork mod from market and flash koush's recovery and u are set

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Before download, you need to check your device 'about' screen to determine which superboot version you need.
    • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot with pre 2.3.3 colour configuration - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 668d8eb2fa2ff6b7f9bd26f1aa4f7923
    • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 6069ea0f4f04f2d35d4a868b4bb886fd
    • Superboot for GRH78 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: a0c8b769986876bf5cb079b2fd9309ff
    • Superboot for GRH55 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 809a8e41ae8f0bb88b870cf1865aedff
    The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device.

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' button pressed to enter the bootloader
    - WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail Nexus S, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your PC). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device (including the internal SD storage!)

Enjoy! :)

P
    The Beauty Of The Sleeping Giant: Nexus S

You can 'fastboot oem lock' on the Nexus S anyway!

P

Preach Brotha Man! Preach!​