Battery drain at idle with dock

Search This thread

d1ez3

Mar 27, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I have noticed that my battery has very poor idle when it is sleeping while docked. I have attached 2 images where you can see the issue I have been having. I thought this would have been cleared up after all of the updates we've had but I've experienced this since the beginning. When it is not on the dock I lose about 1% every 8-10 hours, when it is docked I lose more than 1% each hour. I do not have my tab set to wake from keyboard, wifi was off and I was in power save mode.

Thanks

z1sjT.png

gGmRG.png

Anyone else have this?

almightywhacko

Aug 18, 2010
Its just a shot in the dark, but you might wanna try checking this setting under Battery Saving:

screen11.jpg

It will prevent keystrokes and such from waking up the tablet. It is possible that your keyboard has a stuck key or something and this is preventing the tablet from actually sleeping.

d1ez3

Mar 27, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I did a long time ago but re-downloaded all of my apps since. I suppose I can try again. It's strange because it's only when I'm docked. When I'm not docked there is no drain. The keyboard seems to be the cause not software.

fazerrider

Jun 7, 2009
I did a long time ago but re-downloaded all of my apps since. I suppose I can try again. It's strange because it's only when I'm docked. When I'm not docked there is no drain. The keyboard seems to be the cause not software.

Hi there, I have the same issue. At first (begin of january) it worked OK. Later (february) I noticed this issue. The undocked dock keeps its power well, the undocked tablet also.

But when docked... the dock can be drained in less then 10 hours, IF the tablet is under 70-80%. Then the dock starts charging the tablet and is quickly drained. When drained, the tablet starts charging the dock, and so on.

I think there is a problem with the battery of the dock.

Do you recognize the above?

d1ez3

Mar 27, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Hi there, I have the same issue. At first (begin of january) it worked OK. Later (february) I noticed this issue. The undocked dock keeps its power well, the undocked tablet also.

But when docked... the dock can be drained in less then 10 hours, IF the tablet is under 70-80%. Then the dock starts charging the tablet and is quickly drained. When drained, the tablet starts charging the dock, and so on.

I think there is a problem with the battery of the dock.

Do you recognize the above?

Yes same thing exactly with me. I have been leaving the tab separate from the dock when not using it, very inconvenient.

gruntguy

Jan 21, 2010
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
I've noticed this too, but I had always thought it was just a side effect of some kind, or just a general design/software flaw with the way the tablet interacts with the dock. Didn't realise it was quite an isolated issue.

Deano_XEXEC

Nov 10, 2006
London
I had the same problem, go into the developer settings and turn off the option that says keep tablet on while charging. when the tab is in the dock it always gets power from the dock so never sleeps.

that should sort it.

Dean

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 180490

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
lol i think your issue is something putting on a wakelock keeping your device awake, that's why it is on and off all the time under the awake bar. Try the app better battery stats (free via XDA) and check the process wakelock pane to figure out what's keeping your tab awake

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
@nhshah7:
Sorry for the noob question, but how do you get better battery stats for free via xda?
Thanks in advance

Not a problem...google for the better battery stats thread here on xda and I think you can download the full version via the sites thread. Or I'll try to find it right now..

See the second post. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

Hit thanks if this helps!

Scumbag Inc.

May 21, 2010
Austin, TX
Yesterday my tablet had run down to around 30% so I docked it into my fully charged keyboard. When I came home from work, my dock was fully discharged and my tab had barely been charged (or had charged then discharged, I'm not sure.)

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
i get the same thing. once my tablet runs down to 70 the dock starts charging it and itll just continue to charge it without it fully charging and eventually my dock will run out of battery.

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
check out this thread I started here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1535723

I want to figure out what normal drain on teh dock should be. On my last tablet (BCOK s/n), I had about 10% / hour drain while using it. Now I get 20% with the newest updates and a C10 s/n tablet. After 1.5 hours of use, the tablet was down to 70% and the dock kicked in. After charging for an hour, tablet's up to 90% but the dock is down to 50% lol

d1ez3

Mar 27, 2011
Orlando, Florida
OP here.

I seemed to have fixed the issue. I had an SD card in the dock, when I took it out and put it in the tab (it was a micro SD inside of a regular sd card) the battery life at idle seemed to be normal. SD card in the dock seems to cause wakelocks. Anyone else can try this to confirm

ajk511

Jul 21, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
OP here.

I seemed to have fixed the issue. I had an SD card in the dock, when I took it out and put it in the tab (it was a micro SD inside of a regular sd card) the battery life at idle seemed to be normal. SD card in the dock seems to cause wakelocks. Anyone else can try this to confirm

Ha, I was wondering why I was suddenly getting amazing battery while docked today. I took out the SD card I keep in the dock this morning and didnt put it back in. I guess I can randomly confirm this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: d1ez3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @nhshah7:
    Sorry for the noob question, but how do you get better battery stats for free via xda?
    Thanks in advance

Not a problem...google for the better battery stats thread here on xda and I think you can download the full version via the sites thread. Or I'll try to find it right now..

See the second post. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

Hit thanks if this helps!

I had the same problem, go into the developer settings and turn off the option that says keep tablet on while charging. when the tab is in the dock it always gets power from the dock so never sleeps.

that should sort it.

Dean

OP here.

Ha, I was wondering why I was suddenly getting amazing battery while docked today. I took out the SD card I keep in the dock this morning and didnt put it back in. I guess I can randomly confirm this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    OP here.

I noticed that the process called 'android media process' (I think) was using up a lot of cpu and could be the one preventing it from sleeping. Maybe you're onto something here. SD cards are media, and I believe that process is for them.

I'll try it out when I get home later tonight.
    Hey! You ppl might wanna check out my thread here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1556014. It worked wonders for me, like day and night ^^. And yes, the original Transformer had/has the same problem since ICS.