[Q] Warranty if rooted?

Search This thread

l7777

May 2, 2007
Not being responsible for damage if you follow a dump truck too closely (traffic laws take precedent over that anyway) and voiding your warranty by rooting your phone aren't really anything alike. Of course the manufacturer can set their own (reasonable) warranty terms, if this was a real issue there would (probably) be a class action suit and rooting your phone would not void your warranty, and manufacturers and retailers would not be allowed to say that it does. Just like removing (or tampering with) the seal on an Xbox or PlayStation voids your warranty, or your water damage indicator showing that it was wet voids your warranty. Now, I'm not saying I'm with either side or that there aren't ways to skirt the issue, but there's really nothing to argue here. If the manufacturer says "if you do this, you're on your own" then if you do it, you're on your own.

Even Google tells you that rooting voids your warranty (and shows you how to do it)
https://developers.google.com/events/io/sessions/332704837
And this is exactly the way companies and other entities want you to think. If you actually dig into it, there are plenty of things that are said in a semi authoritarian manner that are not backed by law. These are done either out of ignorance of the law or intentionally to try and prevent lawsuits from even being filed but make no mistake, when presented in a court of law they would mean nothing. Most companies will say that rooting a device voids the warranty because it is easier than trying to say "Rooting and doing something stupid will void your warranty." For example, rooting the device and then having the device stop charging because the solder joints on the charge port failed will still be covered if the matter was taken to court. The reasoning is that there is no way rooting broke the solder joints. The manufacturer would have to prove that your modification (root) broke the solder joints before they could void the warranty. In reality no one would ever try to take HTC to court over an issue like this and also likely that HTC would warranty the device anyway. Just friendly advice, don't believe something simply because a sign or piece of paper says so. Most are not legally binding. That all said, should you root the device and then mess it up by doing something wrong, be honest and don't take it back claiming a warranty problem.

vacoray

Dec 6, 2009
And this is exactly the way companies and other entities want you to think. If you actually dig into it, there are plenty of things that are said in a semi authoritarian manner that are not backed by law. These are done either out of ignorance of the law or intentionally to try and prevent lawsuits from even being filed but make no mistake, when presented in a court of law they would mean nothing. Most companies will say that rooting a device voids the warranty because it is easier than trying to say "Rooting and doing something stupid will void your warranty." For example, rooting the device and then having the device stop charging because the solder joints on the charge port failed will still be covered if the matter was taken to court. The reasoning is that there is no way rooting broke the solder joints. The manufacturer would have to prove that your modification (root) broke the solder joints before they could void the warranty. In reality no one would ever try to take HTC to court over an issue like this and also likely that HTC would warranty the device anyway. Just friendly advice, don't believe something simply because a sign or piece of paper says so. Most are not legally binding. That all said, should you root the device and then mess it up by doing something wrong, be honest and don't take it back claiming a warranty problem.

If i root it and then messed it up, I would man up and not blame the issue on them. It is just wrong. I just dont want the hassle of them telling me because i rooted the phone, i messed it up when i know its not because of root. Sounds like Sprint and Verizon are the same. It depends on who you get and on what day. Thanks all for your imput!

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008

Right, rooting would never cause your solder joints to break - but it still voids your warranty, regardless of what happens afterwards. Just like if back in the day if you modded your Xbox 360, but later got the RRoD, you're SOL because you voided your warranty, even though it's a hardware flaw that caused the RRoD (or if you get banned from Xbox Live and your warranty voided, without getting the RRoD) and completely unrelated to anything done by the user. The software on your phone is warrantied just like the hardware, and if you modify either part, you (typically) void your warranty. I don't get why this is even an issue. I get that some things are not black and white, but when it comes to a warranty, and something is explicitly stated will void yours, then it's pretty cut and dry.

Doc Ames

Aug 18, 2012
Bloomington, MN
Right, rooting would never cause your solder joints to break - but it still voids your warranty, regardless of what happens afterwards. Just like if back in the day if you modded your Xbox 360, but later got the RRoD, you're SOL because you voided your warranty, even though it's a hardware flaw that caused the RRoD (or if you get banned from Xbox Live and your warranty voided, without getting the RRoD) and completely unrelated to anything done by the user. The software on your phone is warrantied just like the hardware, and if you modify either part, you (typically) void your warranty. I don't get why this is even an issue. I get that some things are not black and white, but when it comes to a warranty, and something is explicitly stated will void yours, then it's pretty cut and dry.

I realize this thread is dead. However, I just had to chime in here. In the United States, rooting absolutely, positively, does not void your warranty. Your phone does not come with a software warranty. The software is provided as-is and without warranty, expressed or implied. Software warranties are usually relegated to enterprise and are irrelevant to this discussion. Physically opening an Xbox and running a program as root are not comparable. The previous poster (I7777) was correct. Warrantors (manufactures providing a warranty) cannot set whatever terms they choose for providing warranty service. If HTC sent you a document stating that you understand that any unauthorized software modifications void your warranty and you signed it, rooting your phone still wouldn't void your warranty. Warrantors have to comply with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act enacted in 1975. One of the requirements for Warrantors was described by I7777. Manufactures have to prove that your actions caused the defect in order to deny you warranty repair or replacement. There's a reason why HTCDEV unlock states that "unlocking your bootloader may void your warranty". If it did unequivocally void your warranty I assure you, they would say so. I don't understand why this warranty misconception exist with phones to the extent that it does. Nobody would ever suggest that you risk voiding the warranty on your PC by running a program or operation that requires administrative privileges.

A video that XDA did regarding rooting, your warranty, and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YcIHaajda8

Reactions: berndblb
What he said (and I practice law when I'm not hanging out on xda).

One other important thing to note, provided you are not actually taking the phone into a store to replace it (which shouldn't matter but you will run into all types in the retail stores), provided you just arrange for a warranty replacement over the phone, you will ship your handset to some refurbishing company somewhere which will take the phone out of the box and bulk wipe it before starting to refurbish it. Nobody is ever going to see your customized hboot, or your personal splash screen, or your custom ROM and/or kernel. There's just no way those companies could make any money doing what they do if they actually checked the phones to see if they were "modified."

I don't know of a single person who was flagged on returning a rooted handset for warranty issues. I've returned many MANY for a variety of issues (bad camera; USB port failed; etc. etc.) and not once has anyone invalidated the warranty return because I was rooted or bootloader unlocked.

And to those who decry warranty returns by people who incompetently bork their own phones (and there are a few), I would suggest that there are lots of drivers who make mistakes while driving, but if the car is defective, they are and should be legally protected from manufacturing defects anyway.

Reactions: berndblb

bda714

Jan 12, 2014
Re: Re S-on

This is how I did Mine.

I don't know if S-OFF can be achieved again after writing S-On. I did not Try

I have followed this return to stock guide exactly (from another location but exactly the same) and when I tried to delete SuperSU with the uninstall option found in the settings, it would uninstall, however, upon rebooting the phone, SuperSU would re appear every time. I have looked for an answer everywhere and cannot find a way to completely unroot. I have used "weaksauce" and "firewater" to root, S-off and unlock the bootloader again. So I can confirm that this does work.

On a side note/question: I am returning my phone to HTC for an "HTC Advantage" screen replacement. I have read a lot about rooting, does and does not void your warranty... as I am not a lawyer and do not really ever read much of the user agreements for anything, I figure the best thing to do would be to try to cover up any evidence and try to restore the device back to stock. There does not seem to be a completely stock RUU but only one that comes pre rooted. Does anyone know a way to achieve S-on and Locked status with no root? I thought maybe a change in the order of steps? Or a stock RUU in an executable form or one that is not already rooted. Maybe a way to remove the rooted status from the image? My device is a VZW_001, Thank you for any help!

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I have followed this return to stock guide exactly (from another location but exactly the same) and when I tried to delete SuperSU with the uninstall option found in the settings, it would uninstall, however, upon rebooting the phone, SuperSU would re appear every time. I have looked for an answer everywhere and cannot find a way to completely unroot. I have used "weaksauce" and "firewater" to root, S-off and unlock the bootloader again. So I can confirm that this does work.

On a side note/question: I am returning my phone to HTC for an "HTC Advantage" screen replacement. I have read a lot about rooting, does and does not void your warranty... as I am not a lawyer and do not really ever read much of the user agreements for anything, I figure the best thing to do would be to try to cover up any evidence and try to restore the device back to stock. There does not seem to be a completely stock RUU but only one that comes pre rooted. Does anyone know a way to achieve S-on and Locked status with no root? I thought maybe a change in the order of steps? Or a stock RUU in an executable form or one that is not already rooted. Maybe a way to remove the rooted status from the image? My device is a VZW_001, Thank you for any help!

Your phone will get to a contractor who will just flash it back to stock. That the underpaid tech will even check the status of the phone is very unlikely.
There's a guide in this forum to RUU your phone back to stock. Trying to get it back to S-on is risky and unnecessary, see above.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For future reference would you mind telling me how to do this? Thanks in advanced!
    This is how I did Mine.

1.Run the RUU found Here
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407588316
    Place on external sd card and boot into bootloader and let it run
    or place in fastboot dir open cmd window
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip 0P6BIMG.zip
    Reboot
    The phone is back to stock now(rooted, will uninstall later).

2.Relock the bootloader
    With the phone booted up, open cmd window in adb folder
    adb devices (make sure its connected)
    adb shell
    su
    echo -ne ‘\x00\x00\x00\x00′ | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bs=1 seek=33796
    exit
    exit
    adb reboot bootloader
    verify "locked" status.

3.Return to S-ON
    reboot into bootloader
    open cmd window in fastboot dir

fastboot oem writesecureflag 3
    Reboot to bootloader and verify S-On

4.Reboot Phone and open superSU
    go to settings
    scroll close to bottom to full unroot
    You should be Stock, unrooted, Locked, and S-On Now.
    "Do this at your own risk"

I don't know if S-OFF can be achieved again after writing S-On. I did not Try
    It'll differ for everyone. It you bought it from a Verizon store and have a hardware defect you could just flash the ruu and fake h boot screens and hope for the best. The guy at my Verizon store is a toughie and will check more than just the visual signs of root but the store across town will return it even if they boot your device with a custom boot animation lol

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    You can always run the Ruu, relock the bootloader, uninstall root and return to S-On.
    I have done this already without issues.
    Legally by rooting your phone you are voiding your warranty. Normally though verizon doesn't check these things. If you would need to return your phone for some reason there is a partial RUU to get you back to looking stock.

This right here people, not rocket science here. Shoot I've returned devices with root and even custom recovery and Rom, lol! Simply do as above and ur good. For the people that return devices to store I never have. I call customer services, they send me replacement device in mail, I then mail back my bunk phone. Done and done. Easy.
    Warranty...Of course not. Please post questions in the proper questions and answers thread.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app