[Q] Root for the One Plus One?

Search This thread

adambombz

Jul 9, 2013
Philadelphia
This phone has had my attention for a while now, and after reading and watching videos on the phone, my biggest question is about root. If Cyanogenmod 11s isn't pre-rooted right out of the box, is there a root method/someone working on a root method and if not, how long will it be until that becomes a reality? If the phone doesn't have root, I'm afraid that I may not be able to go for this phone as I am heavily invested a number of root operations and apps that I have set up on my phone. Let me know if anyone knows anything.

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
This phone has had my attention for a while now, and after reading and watching videos on the phone, my biggest question is about root. If Cyanogenmod 11s isn't pre-rooted right out of the box, is there a root method/someone working on a root method and if not, how long will it be until that becomes a reality? If the phone doesn't have root, I'm afraid that I may not be able to go for this phone as I am heavily invested a number of root operations and apps that I have set up on my phone. Let me know if anyone knows anything.

It's not rooted out-of-the-box. Google doesn't allow this. But apparently, root will be very easy; just plug it into your computer and enter in a few command lines and you're set (so I've heard). Undoubtedly someone will make a one-click script that makes it even easier.

dansou901

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2012
Aachen
OnePlus 5
OnePlus Nord
EDIT: Sorry for that one, was posting too fast without thinking first... Actually rooting includes unlocking bootloader and flashing the required binaries via recovery like said below my post.

Sent from my Desire X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Andrew Martonik at Android Central spent almost a month with the phone and had this to say about rooting in the review he released just a couple days ago.
Good read, BTW.

OnePlus One Review | Android Central

That's where I heard it. In any case, it'll be simple; that much was promised from the beginning.

What about SuperSU though? I'm honestly not sure how that gets installed to the right place; the only times I've rooted were with programs that did it for me.

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
I don't think the retail cm11 will have root. In order to pass android cts, they had to remove root from the release builds. Don't worry, the phone is likely either unlocked or unlockable and it can be rooted with supersu or superuser like a Nexus device. Speculation but I don't see the cm folk going with a locked down phone. Maybe someone who has cm11s should confirm if it has root.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
It will be even easier then that. You'll just have to enable root in developer settings, that's all.

Sent from my Desire X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Oh really? Absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think the retail cm11 will have root. In order to pass android cts, they had to remove root from the release builds. Don't worry, the phone is likely either unlocked or unlockable and it can be rooted with supersu or superuser like a Nexus device. Speculation but I don't see the cm folk going with a locked down phone. Maybe someone who has cm11s should confirm if it has root.

Correct - no retail device shipping with Google CTS/GMS can have root enabled, much less the ability to right OUT OF THE BOX. It has to be done manually by the user, at their discretion.

Chromium

Oct 5, 2012
Toronto
chromium1.blogspot.ca
From what I've read so far, it seems that the phone is fastboot unlocked by default (Normally you'd have to run "fastboot oem unlock"). Since that's already been taken care of, all that would need to be done to gain root is flash a recovery using "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (official TWRP build is available), and finally install the SuperSU zip via your newly flashed custom recovery.

Essentially the same method as a Nexus device, other than the fact that the bootloader is already unlocked so that step can be skipped.

Ok_Kaleidoscope5109

Dec 29, 2009
From what I've read so far, it seems that the phone is fastboot unlocked by default (Normally you'd have to run "fastboot oem unlock"). Since that's already been taken care of, all that would need to be done to gain root is flash a recovery using "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (official TWRP build is available), and finally install the SuperSU zip via your newly flashed custom recovery.

Essentially the same method as a Nexus device, other than the fact that the bootloader is already unlocked so that step can be skipped.

So no way to use CM's SuperUser app huh because that's built into the OS. We'll have to use a 3rd party app like SuperSU?

Chromium

Oct 5, 2012
Toronto
chromium1.blogspot.ca
So no way to use CM's SuperUser app huh because that's built into the OS. We'll have to use a 3rd party app like SuperSU?

Well, I'm just speculating since I don't actually have the device yet. The CM rom that comes on the phone is not prerooted, nor does it have the Superuser app in it (I'm basing that off an update.zip that's posted in the dev section which doesnt seem to contain the apk). So you'd most likely have to do as I explained above. You dont necessarily have to use SuperSU though. You could probably obtain root by flashing the Superuser zip instead.

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
cyanogenmod has been planning to separate root for years. i think they are coming up with a simple method of root. maybe just an app install?

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
You will be able to root with any existing root method with a custom recovery. I'm not sure if cm11s comes with cwm. Anyway rooting is trivial.

Cm I think opted to make root removal so they could get cts approval and install Google Apps.

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
it doesnt come with cwm. thats a different project, by a different group. and you dont necessarily need an alternative recovery, depending on the rooting method.

tiny4579

Jan 15, 2011
it doesnt come with cwm. thats a different project, by a different group. and you dont necessarily need an alternative recovery, depending on the rooting method.

I wonder if they're using this recovery.

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_bootable_recovery-cm

Simple recovery is the working title.

You are correct that custom recoveries aren't always needed for root; however, in Android 4.3 and later, the two primary root applications need to install a superuser daemon which makes rooting outside of recovery more difficult.

giaur

Aug 27, 2013
You will be able to root with any existing root method with a custom recovery. I'm not sure if cm11s comes with cwm. Anyway rooting is trivial.
You all guys keep saying that rooting is trivial, but nobody told how to root. I believe you that it's trivial but - anyway -please tell me how to do this step by step.

Archon810

Feb 19, 2010
Oakland
I'm actually having trouble getting my 64GB production unit to boot into TWRP or have it flash and stick. fastboot says everything is fine, then rebooting into recovery produces the stock simple recovery.

fastboot boot twrprecovery.img ends up hanging on the fastboot screen, basically nothing happens, but fastboot does stop responding to commands.

I'm sort of at a loss - I've done this to many Nexus devices before, and the idea is the same. My bootloader is unlocked, that went without any issues.

Booting a debug boot.img from https://cyngn.com/products/oneplusone via fastboot just ends up shutting down and showing the battery charging icon.

Volume Up + Power while booting ends up with a black screen - in fact, the only way I can get into recovery is from a booted OS.

Edit: After many tries, trying different cables and unchecking the Settings -> Development -> update recovery with system updates, the TWRP flash succeeded, and the subsequent SuperSU sideload went just fine. Now I'm rooted.

Another tip regarding using Power+VolDn or Power+VolUp - things happen so slowly that if you keep holding Power, it'll actually trip a reboot before it has a chance to load. Just hold the Power button for a few seconds when booting, then let go and keep the VolUp or VolDn pressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PotatoEngine4
Well, I'm just speculating since I don't actually have the device yet. The CM rom that comes on the phone is not prerooted, nor does it have the Superuser app in it (I'm basing that off an update.zip that's posted in the dev section which doesnt seem to contain the apk). So you'd most likely have to do as I explained above. You dont necessarily have to use SuperSU though. You could probably obtain root by flashing the Superuser zip instead.

I just did this and it seems to have worked. TiBu just completed..

Used "Fastboot boot TWRP-2.7.1.0.zip" at ADB/Fastboot interface. It booted to TWRP. As I closed, it stated that it looks like "Your device isn't rooted, Do you want to install SuperSU?" To which I said Yes. It rebooted and I was able to open SuperSU, already on the phone, and get root. Then, opened TiBU and performed a full backup.

cympaul90

Sep 19, 2013
fastboot boot twrprecovery.img ends up hanging on the fastboot screen, basically nothing happens, but fastboot does stop responding to commands.

The first time I did this it hung for a while. it eventually boots into the recovery. I think it took about 2 minutes for it to finally boot into it.

Maybe that helps?

armanid27

Jul 13, 2014
Root One+ fastboot devices hnags "waiting for device"

I amd trying to unlock bootlaoder, and install TWRP on my ONE+. I have tried both android SDK, and TOOLKIT FOR ONEPLUS FROM XDA, and I cannot get fastboot devices to recognize my One+.

What I have do so far:

My PC: windows 7 - 64bit

Installed SDK kit form developer.android.com, and installed the latest composite usb driver from Google.

Installed OnePLus toolkit and tried using that, no dice.

when I execute "fastboot devices" from my fastboot folder, my prompt hangs "waiting for device" FOREVER!!!

"ADB DEVICES" WORKS PERFECTLY, AND ECHOES MY SERIAL NUMBER BACK TO ME."

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm actually having trouble getting my 64GB production unit to boot into TWRP or have it flash and stick. fastboot says everything is fine, then rebooting into recovery produces the stock simple recovery.

I'm sort of at a loss - I've done this to many Nexus devices before, and the idea is the same. My bootloader is unlocked, that went without any issues.

Booting a debug boot.img from https://cyngn.com/products/oneplusone via fastboot just ends up shutting down and showing the battery charging icon.

Volume Up + Power while booting ends up with a black screen - in fact, the only way I can get into recovery is from a booted OS.

Edit: After many tries, trying different cables and unchecking the Settings -> Development -> update recovery with system updates, the TWRP flash succeeded, and the subsequent SuperSU sideload went just fine. Now I'm rooted.

Another tip regarding using Power+VolDn or Power+VolUp - things happen so slowly that if you keep holding Power, it'll actually trip a reboot before it has a chance to load. Just hold the Power button for a few seconds when booting, then let go and keep the VolUp or VolDn pressed.