[Q] Not Able To Start Video Capture

Search This thread

buddhatown

Jun 10, 2010
Since taking 4.4.4 (and rooted), I have been unable to record any video in either the stock app or the google camera (haven't tried any 3rd party beyond that). Pictures are fine, but trying to take any video with the moto stock camera gives the following error msg on screen:

"Not able to start video capture"

VideoCapture.jpg

Google camera gives no error, just wont record. I have tried clearing cache and data, reboots, etc. So far, I have no insight into whats causing this. Anyone else out there seen this?

Thanks

ypikya

Aug 1, 2014
Didn't work for me!

Open the Google app. Scroll all the way to the bottom and hit the three dot menu control bottom right, then settings. Go to voice, then OK Google detection. Turn it off
Did not work for me! I have a Motorola Maxx XT1080 with 4.4.4. Upon re-boot, video capture works first time, but fails every time thereafter with error message "Not able to start video capture". If I re-boot again, same thing...works once, then fails thereafter with same error message. Any other solutions?

Orion575

Jun 7, 2012
Brunswick, OH
Since taking 4.4.4 (and rooted), I have been unable to record any video in either the stock app or the google camera (haven't tried any 3rd party beyond that). Pictures are fine, but trying to take any video with the moto stock camera gives the following error msg on screen:

"Not able to start video capture"

View attachment 2874053

Google camera gives no error, just wont record. I have tried clearing cache and data, reboots, etc. So far, I have no insight into whats causing this. Anyone else out there seen this?

Thanks
Updated to 4.4.4 and I got the same problem

forsakensniper

Aug 28, 2014
Thanks for that, been wondering what the issue has been. I guess I will just keep it so that my Nova Launcher has the Ok Google response. Turned off the Google one and it fixed the issues for the phone now. Much appreciated for the help.

Cheri3691

Aug 29, 2014
Had this same problem.

I was taking videos this evening with no problems then started checking out "Google Now" options and enabled the voice commands from any app and from the locked screen. Then went back to taking or trying to take videos and got this same error message. I tried rebooting and it didn't work so I googled the error message and found this forum. I did as suggested and disabled the voice commands for "Google Now" and my video recording went back to working. So does anyone know if this error is being addressed for a fix? Also, thanks for the help!

Mlab95

Jul 20, 2014
Waterford
**** that, I was wondering what was wrong with my droid ultra, well i dont even need the okay google command since we have touchless controls anyways so its pretty pointless, also seeing how we may get updated to the new moto actions.

luter24rus

Jul 7, 2011
moto x xt1058 video capture not able

Hello friends, some time ago I got moto x xt1058, update to 4.4.4 and get same problem
Camera work well after reboot, but then I get message "not able to start video capture". That to bad course Skype and viber also didn't work.

Then I find this forum and try to turn off OK google now detection, but this button in voice google app's menu didn't work. It is grey (not active) color and has a message below " this feature is currently anavaliable on this device". Google now voice commands works well and I have no idea how to fix my camera problem.

P.s. camera work only in slow mode.
Thanks.

Last edited:

lifemac3

Aug 29, 2014
HERE IS THE FIX! Remove call recorder.

I HAD THE SAME THING for the last 3 months. I found it v frustrating.

THIS FIXED IT FOR ME AND FOR OTHERS

REMOVE THE APP CALLED "CALL RECORDER" as this uses the microphone at all times and stops video from working. Other call recorders seem to work fine with no affect on video.

Cheers,

Ben

discable

Dec 23, 2006
Ben's Awesome Solution to "not able to start video capture" on my Moto X

I have had the same problem as many others.
Where I try video recording on my Moto X and only get the SUPER FRUSTRATING - "not able to start video capture"
I tried the Google "3 Dot" - Google Now Shut Down and it worked upon reboot..."ONCE." Only to have it not work until another reboot...
I had to resort to carrying around a spare iphone to record what my Moto X couldn't.... auuggghhhh!!

Anyways, to make a long story short, Ben's comments fixed my problem...

I HAD THE SAME THING for the last 3 months. I found it v frustrating.

THIS FIXED IT FOR ME AND FOR OTHERS

REMOVE THE APP CALLED "CALL RECORDER" as this uses the microphone at all times and stops video from working. Other call recorders seem to work fine with no affect on video.

Cheers,

Ben

After I deleted this app...NOW I have use of my Video Camera and DO NOT GET THE "not able to start video capture", AND I just tried to set up Smartphone payments with Square.com (the app would not work with the swiping Dongle because it said "A RECORDING APP NEEDED TO BE CLOSED" for that process to occur) which lead me on another internet search for a solution and wound me up backtracking to here and eventually to Ben.

So now I can Take Videos and charge people for them??? Ha ha, Maybe I will now!! Who Knows!! ;P

Thanks Ben for your AWESOME Solution!!!

shubhajit007

Dec 31, 2014
REMOVE THE APP CALLED "CALL RECORDER" as this uses the microphone at all times and stops video from working. Other call recorders seem to work fine with no affect on video

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Open the Google app. Scroll all the way to the bottom and hit the three dot menu control bottom right, then settings. Go to voice, then OK Google detection. Turn it off