[HOWTO] ATT 4.5.91 Rooted, Unlocked Bootloader -> 4.5.141 Safe Manual Method

Search This thread

UncleCemka

Mar 6, 2011
I could not find any resource here, to provide a step-by-step guide for going from ATT 4.5.91 rooted, with Unlocked Bootloader to the latest 4.5.141 without bricking. I put this together myself and tested it on my own Atrix. Use at your own risk!

It's kind of a technical guide, but you really get to learn about your phone doing it this way. I did assume you know some basics about Android and Atrix that you could learn from Swiftks great guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1154600

Thanks to all of the resources here on XDA, that I used to pull this info together.

REQUIREMENTS:
- ATT Atrix 4.5.91 with Unlocked Bootloader
- Custom Recovery (Romracers or Rom Manager)

PRE STEPS:
- Take a full Nandroid Backup with CWM
- Backup your apps with TiBu
- Backup Call and SMS Logs with My Backup Root

Files Needed:
- 4.5.141 Full SBF - http://atrix.tk/4.5.141/ or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22379866&postcount=393
- preinstall.img - for root - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15023022&postcount=2
- adb and moto-fdastboot - get anywhere
- Portable SBF Tool - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1059643
- .37P Radio zip (N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1339047 or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22399253&postcount=171
- Nebtop for Webtop over HDMI - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php? t=1404625

Steps:
- Open full 4.5.141 SBF with Portable SBF Tool, to extract the smg files. Move the SMG folder, before closing the tool.

- Power off phone
- Power on while holding down the vol button
- Scroll to Fastboot with the vol down, vol up to select fastboot
- Connect to PC
- Cleanup:
moto-fastboot erase system
moto-fastboot erase boot
moto-fastboot erase webtop
- Flash new boot, system, webtop, preinstall
moto-fastboot flash boot CG59_0x00000130.smg
moto-fastboot flash system CG60_0x00000140.smg
moto-fastboot flash webtop CG61_0x00000150.smg
moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
- Wipe and reboot
moto-fastboot -w
moto-fastboot reboot

- Turn on USB Debugging
- Root
adb shell
/preinstall/dosu
/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/
chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
PATH=/system/bin:$PATH
pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk
*Make sure to accept the Superuser prompt on the phone when using it the first time.

- sqlite
cp /preinstall/sqlite3 /system/bin/sqlite3
chmod 6755 /system/bin/sqlite3

- Google Video over 3g
adb shell
su
sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db
select * from main where name='gtalk_vc_wifi_only';
*gtalk_vc_wifi_only|true
update main set value='false' where name='gtalk_vc_wifi_only';
*gtalk_vc_wifi_only|false
.exit

- Tether hack
sqlite3 /data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "UPDATE settings SET value='disabled' WHERE name='entitlement_check';"

sqlite3 /data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

select * from settings WHERE name='entitlement_check';

*118|entitlement_check|disabled
.exit

- Radio
adb push N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip /mnt/sdcard/
reboot into recovery and apply from sdcard
wipe cache
wipe dalvik cache
reboot

- Recover apps with TiBu

- Restore Call log and SMS data with My Backup Root

- Remove Annoying SDCARD Mount sounds
adb shell
su
setprop persist.service.mount.playsnd 0

- Install the Nebtop Apk for Webtop over HDMI

**Another method to try, using CWM: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22997305&postcount=22

Last edited:

zoness

Aug 7, 2011
Will this work?

you posted this a few days ago, but with all the bricking issues you have no posts saying, hey this works. Not trying to dismiss you here, but I'm very nervous about doing this update. I can' afford to brick my phone, but i really need the new updates 'cause ATT is messing with the towers in this area.

I had a Froyo phone, that I unlocked, rooted, and then installed a custom ROM.

I unlocked and rooted my phone with this link. And I am running Alien ROM #4 de-blurred. I never realized that doing that keep you from getting the OTA announcements till this big ball of snot dropped (4.5.141)

I'm also downloading NottachTrix 1.2.1. I thought if I change my ROMS with one that has the new updates, I would be ok, but again, nervous as hell about this.

Last edited:

Jason_Thames

Feb 14, 2006
Pensacola, FL
As long as you are unlocked, you can simply download the 2.3.6 SBF and use sbf_flash -x to turn it into .IMG files. Then you can rename and flash the files with moto-fastboot and reboot into 2.3.6.

* CG59.img -> boot.img code:moto-fastboot flash boot boot.img
* CG60.img -> system.img code:moto-fastboot flash system system.img
* CG61.img -> webtop.img code:moto-fastboot flash webtop webtop.img

Make sure to wipe and reboot as said by OP and you will be fine after this. I have tried this on my unlocked Atrix and it works fine. Root however you want after and all is well.

kevp453

Mar 16, 2011
Provo, UT
you posted this a few days ago, but with all the bricking issues you have no posts saying, hey this works. Not trying to dismiss you here, but I'm very nervous about doing this update. I can' afford to brick my phone, but i really need the new updates 'cause ATT is messing with the towers in this area.

I'm happy to report that everything went perfectly for me!!! I'm so happy this worked. Thank you!

Getting the SBF tool was a little annoying having to sign up for another site where the OP found this app he doesn't own, so I made a mirror:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wo8g5hgeo9jtedq

Thanks a bunch Uncle!

Reactions: bllix

vastelectron

Oct 24, 2007
As long as you are unlocked, you can simply download the 2.3.6 SBF and use sbf_flash -x to turn it into .IMG files. Then you can rename and flash the files with moto-fastboot and reboot into 2.3.6.

* CG59.img -> boot.img code:moto-fastboot flash boot boot.img
* CG60.img -> system.img code:moto-fastboot flash system system.img
* CG61.img -> webtop.img code:moto-fastboot flash webtop webtop.img

Make sure to wipe and reboot as said by OP and you will be fine after this. I have tried this on my unlocked Atrix and it works fine. Root however you want after and all is well.

Hi,

Where can I find sbf_flash -x? can I just rename it? or where exactly do I run this? under adb, rsd lite? any help appreciated thanks?

And also I was confused...how to the sqlite3 in the procedures? is that another program I need to have?..

---------- Post added at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

I have trouble following these steps:

with cg60 and cg61
image is too big, use 0x10000000 bytes chunks FAILED <remote: <00000006>>

so what does this mean?

Last edited:

UncleCemka

Mar 6, 2011
I definitely tested this on my ATT atrix without any issues. Spent a few hours putting this together mostly for myself, but thought i would share it.

I had a Froyo phone, that I unlocked, rooted, and then installed a custom ROM.

I unlocked and rooted my phone with this link. And I am running Alien ROM #4 de-blurred. I never realized that doing that keep you from getting the OTA announcements till this big ball of snot dropped (4.5.141)

I'm also downloading NottachTrix 1.2.1. I thought if I change my ROMS with one that has the new updates, I would be ok, but again, nervous as hell about this.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

UncleCemka

Mar 6, 2011
The filesize issue probably means that you were using the wrong fastboot. You need moto-fastboot, since it was specifically modified to allow for larger file sizes. Dont use the regular fastboot. As far as sqlite3, it is part of the preinstall and you will need it for some of the last steps, but you can skip those if you dont care for them.

Hi,

Where can I find sbf_flash -x? can I just rename it? or where exactly do I run this? under adb, rsd lite? any help appreciated thanks?

And also I was confused...how to the sqlite3 in the procedures? is that another program I need to have?..

---------- Post added at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

I have trouble following these steps:

dunno what i'm doing wrong..

after I extracted to folder.. my files don't have the same names as above.. it's only cg59.smg, cg60.smg, ect.. so I flash these but with cg60.smg it won't flash saying the size is too big? I tried putting 0x00000140 before and after but doesn't work..

Could you help be how to do it properly? I used MotoAndroidDepacker to extract.. am I not extracting properly? I did the split to folder or is there something else? and there's no difference if I move the extracted folder before or after the program is closed.? the contents are the same

wait i noticed i used the wrong program...

-so do I run adb shell on the phone or on the computer?

thanks

-yeah still getting errors..
with cg60 and cg61 now..
image is too big, use 0x10000000 bytes chunks FAILED <remote: <00000006>>

so what does this mean?

vastelectron

Oct 24, 2007
Thank you

Thank you I got it to work but i'm not so clear about these 2 parts:

- Google Video over 3g
adb shell
su
*gtalk_vc_wifi_only|true
.exit

- Tether hack
sqlite3 /data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "UPDATE settings SET value='disabled' WHERE name='entitlement_check';"

sqlite3 /data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

.exit

so what are the command lines? you do this still in command prompt correct?

so example after I enter "sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db"

how do you select (((select * from main where name='gtalk_vc_wifi_only';))) ? I don't see how I can do a select and the * means what? does it mean not a command line?

Sorry a video tutorial would help.. please clarify if you can thanks a lot.

eclypse3demons

Oct 14, 2010
I noticed under the files needed section the first mirror link to the sbf not only does it show the update sbf file but it also shows in the dir the individual parts (img.gz's) are those the extracted smg files from the sbf? they have the same date, and roughly time on them.

UncleCemka

Mar 6, 2011
You do both of these from the command line using adb. Just copy paste each line individually and that should do it. The star in the beginning of the line indicates the output i would expect you to see and not commands you have to run.

Thank you I got it to work but i'm not so clear about these 2 parts:

- Google Video over 3g
adb shell
su
*gtalk_vc_wifi_only|true
.exit

- Tether hack

.exit

so what are the command lines? you do this still in command prompt correct?

so example after I enter "sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.gsf/databases/gservices.db"

how do you select (((select * from main where name='gtalk_vc_wifi_only';))) ? I don't see how I can do a select and the * means what? does it mean not a command line?

Sorry a video tutorial would help.. please clarify if you can thanks a lot.

UncleCemka

Mar 6, 2011
They are maybe the same files, but i didn't want to risk it, and just extracted them myself.

I noticed under the files needed section the first mirror link to the sbf not only does it show the update sbf file but it also shows in the dir the individual parts (img.gz's) are those the extracted smg files from the sbf? they have the same date, and roughly time on them.

moneyman1978

Oct 8, 2009
Orcutt
I wanted to Reply to this thread saying i was running Nottatrix ROM the new one with 4.1.141. My phoen would not run CM9 so i decided to do an sbf flash. IT failed leaving me at rebooting loop. i then followed this thread got the scf extracted the files from it flashed manually with and installed with fastboot and now its working even though it says things do not flash properly its working and i am so thankful for this thread. I still get a warranty replacement but i got it working.

UncleCemka

Mar 6, 2011
I wanted to Reply to this thread saying i was running Nottatrix ROM the new one with 4.1.141. My phoen would not run CM9 so i decided to do an sbf flash. IT failed leaving me at rebooting loop. i then followed this thread got the scf extracted the files from it flashed manually with and installed with fastboot and now its working even though it says things do not flash properly its working and i am so thankful for this thread. I still get a warranty replacement but i got it working.

I am glad it worked for you! I just think that doing it this way, you learn about your phone to prepare you for flashing other ROMS and recovering from various situations.

that__guy

Feb 26, 2012
running into a problem here. I can't find the file called N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip inside that directory. there is one in there called N_01.77.36P_usa_att_.zip but not .37P

that__guy

Feb 26, 2012
thanks! one more thing, what exactly is being modified regarding tethering with the code in the instructions?

UncleCemka

Mar 6, 2011
thanks! one more thing, what exactly is being modified regarding tethering with the code in the instructions?

A setting that forces the phone to do some type of a check on whether you have the tether plan or not with ATT is disabled. By not doing the check the hot spot functionality will work, but ATT might still be able to track your data usage and give you a warning. Use at own risk.

Reactions: that__guy

geykel

Jun 20, 2011
Hi, N00b question :)

I have an ATT 4.5.91 Rooted Atrix but I don't know if it is unlocked or not... how can I find out that? in order to know the best way for me to update to .141?

I tried to unlock the bootloader using fastboot: "fastboot oem unlock" but I got an error that says that it is not implemented... :(

Can anyone help me to figure out which could be the best way to apply the .141 update?

Thanks

Last edited:

that__guy

Feb 26, 2012
EDIT: Never mind that, I figured out what the problem was and it was unrelated. I just happened that something updated at the same time I ran the code and I thought it was the code that did it. (uninstalled updates to google search to fix) Sorry.

ok, so I have the update installed and am rooted. But now anytime I try to search in the application tray I get a message box saying that "process com.motorola.home has stopped unexpectedly". It didn't do that before I ran the root part of the code so I suspect it is because of that. This is what I ran and got back from the cmd prompt

C:\fastboot>adb shell
$ /preinstall/dosu
/preinstall/dosu
bash: groups: command not found
root@localhost:/# /bin/mount -o remount,rw /system
root@localhost:/# cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/
root@localhost:/# chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
root@localhost:/# PATH=/system/bin:$PATH
root@localhost:/# pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk
pkg: /preinstall/Superuser.apk
Success

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I could not find any resource here, to provide a step-by-step guide for going from ATT 4.5.91 rooted, with Unlocked Bootloader to the latest 4.5.141 without bricking. I put this together myself and tested it on my own Atrix. Use at your own risk!

It's kind of a technical guide, but you really get to learn about your phone doing it this way. I did assume you know some basics about Android and Atrix that you could learn from Swiftks great guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1154600

Thanks to all of the resources here on XDA, that I used to pull this info together.

REQUIREMENTS:
    - ATT Atrix 4.5.91 with Unlocked Bootloader
    - Custom Recovery (Romracers or Rom Manager)

PRE STEPS:
    - Take a full Nandroid Backup with CWM
    - Backup your apps with TiBu
    - Backup Call and SMS Logs with My Backup Root

Files Needed:
    - 4.5.141 Full SBF - http://atrix.tk/4.5.141/ or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22379866&postcount=393
    - preinstall.img - for root - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=15023022&postcount=2
    - adb and moto-fdastboot - get anywhere
    - Portable SBF Tool - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1059643
    - .37P Radio zip (N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip) - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1339047 or http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22399253&postcount=171
    - Nebtop for Webtop over HDMI - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php? t=1404625

Steps:
    - Open full 4.5.141 SBF with Portable SBF Tool, to extract the smg files. Move the SMG folder, before closing the tool.

- Power off phone
    - Power on while holding down the vol button
    - Scroll to Fastboot with the vol down, vol up to select fastboot
    - Connect to PC
    - Cleanup:
    moto-fastboot erase system
    moto-fastboot erase boot
    moto-fastboot erase webtop
    - Flash new boot, system, webtop, preinstall
    moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
    - Wipe and reboot
    moto-fastboot -w
    moto-fastboot reboot

- Turn on USB Debugging
    - Root
    adb shell
    /preinstall/dosu
    *Make sure to accept the Superuser prompt on the phone when using it the first time.

- sqlite
    cp /preinstall/sqlite3 /system/bin/sqlite3
    chmod 6755 /system/bin/sqlite3

- Google Video over 3g
    adb shell
    su
    *gtalk_vc_wifi_only|true
    .exit

- Tether hack

.exit

- Radio
    adb push N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip /mnt/sdcard/
    reboot into recovery and apply from sdcard
    wipe cache
    wipe dalvik cache
    reboot

- Recover apps with TiBu

- Restore Call log and SMS data with My Backup Root

- Remove Annoying SDCARD Mount sounds
    adb shell
    su
    setprop persist.service.mount.playsnd 0

- Install the Nebtop Apk for Webtop over HDMI

**Another method to try, using CWM: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22997305&postcount=22
    Quicker OTA Update Method Idea

I've been dissecting the .141 Moto OTA Zip and had the idea on how it could potentially be safer applied to unlocked BL ATT devices that have not been modded too much. If you've modded away from Blur too much, might end up with a soft brick.

Here are the steps, although currently untested:

- Download OTA Zip: http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Atrix Upgrade/Atrix-Gingerbread-Update

- Open, Edit and then replace the following file inside the Zip:
    Blur_Version_91.4.5.141.MB860.ATT.en.US.zip\META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

- From close to the top, remove the following sets of lines (prerequisite steps):
    assert(apply_patch_check("/system/app/AccountAndSyncSettings.apk", "99e84a0e15713fb6d7f8c2085c0877634f662e86", "cf4df29f9c454fc6a96daceff4d39077cf05a378"));
    set_progress...
    - ending and including with the line:
    assert(apply_patch_space(691868));

- at close to the end of the file, remove update Bootloader steps:
    ui_print("updating AP20 bootloader ...");
    assert(package_extract_file("ap20bl.img", "/tmp/ap20bl.img"),
    write_raw_image("/tmp/ap20bl.img","nvmotota"),
    delete("/tmp/ap20bl.img"));
    assert(ap20bl.set_bl_update(00300000));
    assert(ap20bl.set_mb_update(00080000));

- Reboot

- Reflash non-stock recovery and remove if necessary: /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

That should allow to keep all your settings, since the OTA does not erase those.
    I've been dissecting the .141 Moto OTA Zip and had the idea on how it could potentially be safer applied to unlocked BL ATT devices that have not been modded too much. If you've modded away from Blur too much, might end up with a soft brick.

Here are the steps, although currently untested:

- Download OTA Zip: http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Atrix Upgrade/Atrix-Gingerbread-Update

- Open, Edit and then replace the following file inside the Zip:
    Blur_Version_91.4.5.141.MB860.ATT.en.US.zip\META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

- From close to the top, remove the following sets of lines (prerequisite steps):
    assert(apply_patch_check("/system/app/AccountAndSyncSettings.apk", "99e84a0e15713fb6d7f8c2085c0877634f662e86", "cf4df29f9c454fc6a96daceff4d39077cf05a378"));
    set_progress...
    - ending and including with the line:
    assert(apply_patch_space(691868));

- at close to the end of the file, remove update Bootloader steps:
    ui_print("updating AP20 bootloader ...");
    assert(package_extract_file("ap20bl.img", "/tmp/ap20bl.img"),
    write_raw_image("/tmp/ap20bl.img","nvmotota"),
    delete("/tmp/ap20bl.img"));
    assert(ap20bl.set_bl_update(00300000));
    assert(ap20bl.set_mb_update(00080000));

- Reboot

- Reflash non-stock recovery and remove if necessary: /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

That should allow to keep all your settings, since the OTA does not erase those.

I was looking through this file as well, and in the middle are the lines:

ui_print("Unpacking new recovery...");
    package_extract_dir("recovery", "/system");

The last line appears to install updated "recovery-from-boot.p" and "install-recovery.sh"); files. I simply removed the "install-recovery.sh" file from the update. (deleted straight out of zip) As such I did not have to reinstall custom Recovery. :)

I made the updates to the file, re-zipped, and installed via CWM. Worked great.

I'm happy to report that everything went perfectly for me!!! I'm so happy this worked. Thank you!

Getting the SBF tool was a little annoying having to sign up for another site where the OP found this app he doesn't own, so I made a mirror:

http://www.mediafire.com/?wo8g5hgeo9jtedq

Thanks a bunch Uncle!
    running into a problem here. I can't find the file called N_01.77.37P_usa_att_12dec2011.zip inside that directory. there is one in there called N_01.77.36P_usa_att_.zip but not .37P

Try this one: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22399253&postcount=171