Amazon Instant Video App?

Search This thread

Gig103

Jun 13, 2011
Phoenix
Wow I'm glad now that I am still on GB. :D

I wish now that I could figure out how to convince my phone it's on Wifi when it's on 4G!

ss2pheonix

Sep 21, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
ICS?

Has anyone been able to get this method to work on ICS? Maybe using files from the fire HD?

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

NM The following post answered my question

Right now discussion has turned to trying to get the Google TV version of the app working on other devices. There is also a new version of Amazon Instant Video that was ripped from the new Kindle Fires running ICS but it FCs on other devices. For now there is no app that works on ICS/JB, see this thread for the latest:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31550719#post31550719

arachnophile

Dec 14, 2010
The Kindle Fire HD files do not work because they are dependent upon files integrated in the Kindle-specific OS. However, Amazon did something recently which makes it work through your browser with flash again. Install a flash apk and then use a browser other than Chrome. Firefox works. The default non-Chrome "Browser" works for me.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk HD

dewko

Oct 4, 2013
Firefox + Sideload Flash 11.1.x + Amazon Instant is working

I just validated that this is working. Firefox and sideload flash is working great! I'm still not happy with amazon not providing an app and won't be buying new content on Amazon until they provide a true android video player app.

Nov 9, 2012
I just validated that this is working. Firefox and sideload flash is working great! I'm still not happy with amazon not providing an app and won't be buying new content on Amazon until they provide a true android video player app.
Just FYI-I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 10 tablet with Android 4.2.2. I downloaded the flask apk and watch Amazon Prime right in the stock browser. Dolphin is a nice browser but you don't *have to use it, Jelly Bean's stock browser works fine.

joesixpack1

Jan 9, 2008
as far as i can tell, amazon have killed flash compatibility. On my android devices it says I HAVE TO have silverlight... which when I try download, is dmg... for a mac... groaaaan.....

amazon is being spiteful I think...

You have to use a browser that you can set the "User Agent" to "Desktop". You then get the option to use Flash to play the video in really tiny print. I know that the Dolphin browser works.

Good Luck.

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
You have to use a browser that you can set the "User Agent" to "Desktop". You then get the option to use Flash to play the video in really tiny print. I know that the Dolphin browser works.

Good Luck.

Hi
Thanks, but that is the first thing I tried.
Boat, Dolphin, Opera... no go... it does not support flash.

Are any of you able to play Amazon Prime Videos on your android device in the UK? If so, how?

Tx
Mark.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here is the ATVAndroidClient.apk......havent tried it yet.
    Hey,

Just wanted to share what I did to get amazon video working on my htc evo view.. I was getting the "error linking device" message and played around a bit and finally got to link my amazon account so yay, now I can watch all the crap I already have in my prime account too:

1) I downloaded a complete kindle fire rom dump from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1295928&page=3

2) Unpacked the zip and copied ALL of the apk's from the apps folder to the download folder on my htc view. I created a folder in downloads called fire just so I could keep all the crap in there. I had no idea what each file does but figured something must be missing why the amazon video app gives that error.

3) I installed the following apk's to get it going: AccountAndSyncSettings.apk, ATVAndroidClient.apk, com.amazon.dcp.apk, MyAccount-unsigned.apk and Windowshop.apk

I believe ATVAndroidclient.apk was missing services to properly link it to my amazon account. Once I installed those apks, I then saw amazon as an account option in System -> Accounts & Sync. In the amazon video app, when I try to buy something in order to login, I'm taken to the "register your kindle" screen instead of a plain login screen. This worked for me. I believe this is what all amazon apps refer to for account info.

I also installed Windowshop.apk because it looked neat. I didnt bother with all of the other apks because the kindle functionality is fine as is but I copied them over just in case I would need them. It may take a restart to get things fully going again but this worked for me without a restart on one of my htc view's, the other needed the restart.

Good luck!
    I'm wondering if this will have an app for Amazon Instant Video since it is one of the advertised features. If it does, would it be possible to port it to other Android devices? Right now the only way to watch Amazon Instant Video on an Android device is to spoof a desktop user agent and use flash player. While this method works, it would be a lot easier to have a native app, especially with flash player being discontinued.

APK (ATVAndroidCleint.apk) is Posted:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19409230&postcount=10

Works on unrooted Gingerbread devices and force closes on Honeycomb/ICS when you try to go to a video's page. On rooted devices you'll need to install OTA Rootkeeper then force close and re-open the video app. You can also freeze/defrost it with Titanium Backup.

Option #1 to Log in to Your Amazon Account:
    Open the Amazon video app and find a video you want to watch. Tap the orange box to buy the video and log in with your Amazon account. Once logged in the prices in the orange boxes should adjust if you have Prime and you'll be able to watch videos. If you get an "Error Linking Device" proceed to option #2.

Option #2 to Log in to Your Amazon Account:
    From a Kindle Fire ROM dump obtain and install MyAccount-unsigned.apk and com.amazon.dcp.apk. The files in this post should work even though its not a complete ROM dump. Now you can associate your Amazon account with your device just like you would a Google, etc account. From Settings, Accounts you should be able to add an Amazon account. Now go back into the Amazon video app and you should already be logged in and able to watch videos.

If you still get a "Your device is no longer configured correctly to play Amazon videos" error try restarting your device after you temp unroot with OTA Rootkeeper. Some devices, usually running CM roms have had issues with the error even after temp unrooting.
    here is the ATVAndroidClient.apk......havent tried it yet.

Sweet, and it works on the Droid 3.

What I did was tapped on an orange $1.99 button to buy an episode of a show. This brought up the Amazon login window and I logged into my Amazon account. Now that I'm logged in, it knows I have Prime Instant Videos for free so it lets me view everything.

There are some messed up parts of the GUI due to it only supporting the Kindle's resolution. I also noticed that once the on screen controls disappear during a video there is no way to get them back. I have to press the back button on my phone to exit back to the app, but luckily the app keeps your place, allowing you to resume.

Overall it is good enough to be usable, I watched a few minutes of Top Gear and Lost on it just fine. Both the Droid 3, Bionic, Razr, etc and the Kindle Fire have TI OMAP 4430, not sure if this has to do with anything.

EDIT:
    Doesn't appear to work over 3G. You can browse videos but get the error "Playback over cellular network is currently disabled"
    The error seems to indicate that the version of the database is too new. Has 9, wants 1. It looks like this is a database that gets created when you launch the app the first time. I think if we got a copy of the avod database file at the path in the error from a Kindle, then it may work. As long as our devices don't upgrade the database as soon as we launch. I wouldn't expect it to since that would be bad form on the OS's part. If someone can supply this, be sure to log out first as your login may be stored in that database. Alternatively if someone can hack the APK to ignore the database version, that may work.

I tried a Titanium Backup file with data from a working installation with GB on my Droid 3. I imported it to my Touchpad running CM9 and it still gave the same FC error. The database file that the crash report references looks exactly the same on both devices when I browsed to it in root explorer.