Straight Talk SGS2- SGH-S959G

Search This thread

zombyard

Aug 31, 2012
Did you flash philzcwm from the op? If not do that and reinstall ajk

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

Aha, i just did. Now everything looks beautiful. I heard that if i don't put the Proxy in MMS Proxy, the straighttalk cannot throttle data. But if i remove the Proxy, the MMS doesn't work anymore.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

razen_kain

Jan 28, 2013
Carthage
Did you flash philzcwm from the op? If not do that and reinstall ajk

Aha, i just did. Now everything looks beautiful. I heard that if i don't put the Proxy in MMS Proxy, the straighttalk cannot throttle data. But if i removed the Proxy, the MMS doesn't work anymore.

Your mms proxy is wrong. Scroll down to the bottom of the first page, the op, and put it in exactly the way it has it there for stock apn and you will be Rollin :D

mr-cook

Nov 4, 2012
Reactions: DMF1977

REJ_SGH-S959G

Apr 9, 2013
Fallen at the last Fence

Firstly: Thanks to Mr Cook and the host of Technocrats on this thread. I will be clicking the Thanks shortly.
As a complete Noob and Numbskull, with your posts, I have been able to use ODIN, Install CMW; Root the phone, admire the results and step by step move up to ShoStock v3 and the AJK Kernel. All sweet!
Now my ridiculous problem. I live in Europe, so need to change carrier, I cannot even test Straight-Talk as they do not operate here. I have installed GalaxSim Unlock which recognises the phone as an I777 (now), finds the IMEI; but what the devil do I enter for Country and Carrier? Under USA I do not find Straight Talk or Tracfone. Please do not laugh too much! I was so proud of rooting and flashing the phone, now I feel stupid. R.

Last edited:

EzSqueezeCheese

Jan 23, 2013
So, my battery has drained 10% in the passed hour with 8 minutes of screen time. It's not deep sleeping. Com.android.phone is keeping it awake with a process called gprs-data-stall. Idk what's doing this?

samprocat

Jul 1, 2012
Lincoln
Firstly: Thanks to Mr Cook and the host of Technocrats on this thread. I will be clicking the Thanks shortly.
As a complete Noob and Numbskull, with your posts, I have been able to use ODIN, Install CMW; Root the phone, admire the results and step by step move up to ShoStock v3 and the AJK Kernel. All sweet!
Now my ridiculous problem. I live in Europe, so need to change carrier, I cannot even test Straight-Talk as they do not operate here. I have installed GalaxSim Unlock which recognises the phone as an I777 (now), finds the IMEI; but what the devil do I enter for Country and Carrier? Under USA I do not find Straight Talk or Tracfone. Please do not laugh too much! I was so proud of rooting and flashing the phone, now I feel stupid. R.

I did my sim unlock with this app on stock rom......
You need root and busy box installed .......
Use GalaxSim unlock then after that install custom rom of your choice go to APN and set .......
Easy:rolleyes:
And yes use I777 for type phone
Enter USA &A&TT.....
This phone was locked to A&TT just branded under StrightTalk""""Tracfone""""""
Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

REJ_SGH-S959G

Apr 9, 2013
Unlock problems

You're going to have to be more specific. What are needing, and what for? What needs your country and carrier?

Sorry let me give the details:
The GalaxSim Unlock App asks for Maker / Model / Country / Carrier (so that it can look up the unlock algorithm I suppose). I did try with " USA + AT&T " but GalaxSim emailed back saying they could not find my IMEA with AT&T. I sent full actual details and they replied "cannot help you" money returned. So I have reached an Imp Arse as Granny Weatherwax would say! I tried two other Galaxy S2 Unlock apps - neither worked.
When I try my Orange sim, I get a pop-up asking for SIM unlock key and this does not seem to mean the 4digit one that came with the sim.
Do other's agree with Samprocat that I needed to unlock whilst still running Rooted stock?

Phone: SGH-S959G >>I777 ShoStock v3.0 and AJK Kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I NOR ANYONE ELSE BUT YOURSELF IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSS, OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT MAY RESULTS FROM FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS, OR USING ANYTHING FOUND ON THIS PAGE ----USE AT YOUR OWN RISK----

CONSIDER THIS THE ONLY VALID POST IN THIS THREAD- EVERYTHING AFTER THIS POST COULD BE INCORRECT
    ALL DANGEROUS LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED. IF I MISSED ANYTHING, AND A LINK TAKES YOU TO DEV-HOST- PLEASE CLOSE THE PAGE IMMEDIATELY, NONE OF THE LINK ON THAT SITE ARE SAFE!!!! If you're looking for one of the missing files try asking in the thread someone may still have them.
    If your using the information on this page please remember to HIT THE THANKS BUTTON.

THIS IS ONLY FOR THE STRAIGHT TALK S2 MODEL# SGH-S959G...... NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY OTHER PHONE.

THE BEST WAY TO ROOT / OR FLASH A CUSTOM ROM -
    Install RECOVERY using ODIN, make a BACKUP, then flash the ROOT ZIP in RECOVERY.
    - TWRP 2.7.1.0 Odin-
    - Make a backup with TWRP before going any further. Boot into recovery, select backup/ restore, backup.
    - Root Zip- flash zip through CWM thanks to cynnar-
    Mirror-
    -You will need to install busybox from the market if staying on stock+ root.
    - PhilZ CWM v6.0.2.7 If you will be using a Siyah based kernel ( AJK Kernel ), or would like the extra options in CWM flash this- View attachment 1703135

If you prefer CWM flashable zips can be found further down, and throughout the thread (search).

- ROMs
    - I777 Main Thread- http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1301 (Android Development, and Ported Development to find ROMs)
    - OR flash CyanogenMod 10.1 from link below (this is flashed in CWM) From CyanogenMod 10.1 all i777 custom ROMs are compatible.
    - CyanogenMod, and most all custom ROMs are already rooted when you flash them, no need to root first.
    - You may need to change your APN for data to work with some custom ROMs. Stock APN is at the bottom of this post. Usually you can just edit the included APN from att.mvno to wap.tracfone , and save it, then select it. If data still doesn't work delete all other APNs besides the one you're using.

- ODIN INSTRUCTIONS -
    - Samsung drivers must be installed on your computer- Samsung Drivers- http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-S959ZKATFN
    - Download Odin 1.85- View attachment Odin3-v1.85.7z and unzip.
    - Enable USB Debugging in Settings menu of phone.
    - Put your phone in Download Mode - -Power off, Hold volume down button, Plug in USB connected to computer, Hit volume up when prompted.
    - Open Odin folder, Click Odin3 v1.85.exe, With your phone connected the box under ID:COM should be yellow (if it's not you missed a step earlier), Click PDA, Select the file you downloaded earlier, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE- MAKE SURE AUTO REBOOT AND F. RESET TIME ARE THE ----ONLY----- THINGS CHECKED----- AND RE-PARTITION AND FLASH LOCK ARE ----NOT---- CHECKED....., Press Start (It will take a few minutes to load everything do not touch your computer or the phone during any of this, after the phone re-boots it may take a few minutes to load back up leave it alone until it has fully started up and at the home screen). You should get a green PASS message in the top box.

- CWM ZIP FLASHING -
    - Save Zip file to be flashed to the Root (not in a folder) of your External SD card
    - BOOT INTO RECOVERY- Phone off
    - Hold volume up, volume down and power button. (You can release just the power button at the samsung screen but dont have to).
    - Select -install zip from sdcard, -choose zip from sdcard, -select the zip file you put there earlier, -it will ask you to confirm, select -yes -install
    - If you are installing a custom ROM Do this FIRST before installing Zip, -wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, select -advanced, -wipe dalvik cache

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FACTORY FIRMWARE (IN CASE OF SOFT-BRICK)
    Before returning to Stock remember to format your preload partition. This can be achevied with my ROM wipe script found here- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38199542

---CREDIT--- eclipsedarkmoon
    This will only work with Heimdall-
    - Download Heimdall 1.3.1-
    Heimdall Suite 1.3.1 Windows https://github.com/downloads/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/heimdall-suite-1.3.1-win32.zip
    Heimdall Suite 1.3.1 OS X 10.4+ https://github.com/downloads/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall/heimdall-suite-1.3.1-mac.dmg

- Download Factory Firmware -

- Mirror-

- Open Heimdall, click Drivers, zadig.exe
    - Put phone in Download Mode--Power off, Hold volume down button, Plug in USB connected to computer, Hit volume up when prompted
    - zadig.exe menu, List all devices, Choose Samsung USB composite device (or similar) from list, Press Install Drivers (if you receive a message about being unable to verify the publisher of the driver click "Install this driver software anyway". Your computer may also need to restart for this).
    - Now open heimdall-frontend.exe, on the Load Package (main page) select Browse from Heimdall firmware package, Select the Factory Firmware you downloaded earlier (it will take a minute while Heimdall extracts it), Once extracted press Load / Customise in the bottom right corner (this takes you to the Flash page),--- Select FACTORYFS in the box on the right labeled Partitions(Files), DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE- MAKE SURE REPARTITION AND NO REBOOT ARE---- NOT----- CHECKED.... Press Start in the bottom right corner. (It will take a few minutes to load everything do not touch your computer or the phone during any of this, after the phone re-boots it may take a few minutes to load back up leave it alone until it has fully started up and at the home screen).
    - Hopefully it has been brought back from the Dead.

- Odin flashable Factory Firmware -thanks to root4rd3d-
    Uncompressed version-
    - Put your phone in Download Mode --Power off, Hold volume down button, Plug in USB connected to computer, Hit volume up when prompted
    - Open Odin folder, Click Odin3 v1.85.exe, With your phone connected the box under ID:COM should be yellow (if it's not you missed a step earlier), Click PDA, Select the file you downloaded earlier, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE- MAKE SURE AUTO REBOOT AND F. RESET TIME ARE THE ----ONLY----- THINGS CHECKED----- AND RE-PARTITION AND FLASH LOCK ARE ----NOT---- CHECKED....., Press Start (It will take a few minutes to load everything do not touch your computer or the phone during any of this, after the phone re-boots it may take a few minutes to load back up leave it alone until it has fully started up and at the home screen). You should get a green PASS message in the top box.

- STOCK ROM CWM FLASH -thanks to mr-cook
    (this is will not change your recovery or modem)
    - Download-
    - Place on the root of your Ext.SD
    - Boot into CWM recovery (if you can't do this start at the top of the page!)
    - Factory reset * Wipe cache * Wipe dalvik cache
    - Install zip from sdcard, choose zip from sdcard, select zip you downloaded earlier, confirm install
    - Reboot
    - STOCK MODEM- View attachment S959GUDLG1_modem.zip
    - STOCK 3e RECOVERY Not sure why you would want it, but just in case- removed (YOU MUST FLASH THIS LAST TO RETURN TO STOCK)-

- IF YOU GET BOOT-LOOP- Boot into recovery
    - Phone off
    - Hold volume up, volume down and power button. (You can release just the power button at the samsung screen but dont have to).
    - Factory reset, wipe cache
    - Reboot

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROOT ZIP-
    Flash through CWM thanks to cynnar- View attachment SGH-S959G_Root.zip

SGH-S959G - CyanogenMod

MODEMS
    (Install with CWM)
    -I777UCMD8- This is the Newest Available

- Stock- S959GUDLG1 thanks to mr-cook- View attachment S959GUDLG1_modem.zip

- I777UCLL6- ATT UCLL6 thanks to mr-cook- View attachment I777UCLL6_modem.zip

- I777UCLK3- ATT UCLK3 thanks to mr-cook- View attachment I777UCLK3_modem.zip

REMOVING THE YELLOW TRIANGLE

GINGERBREAD ONLY! (Root Required)
    - Extract the stock zImage from the factory firmware at the top of this page (I used 7zip, and needed to extract it twice to get it apart).
    - Put the stock zImage on the root (not in a folder) of your internal SD card. You can do this through the usb, adb push (adb push- Copy and paste the zImage into your folder with adb, connect your phone with usb, then command- adb push zImage /sdcard/zImage), whatever method you like.
    - Now using adb shell, or terminal emulator found in the market (if you don't' have adb ask GOOGLE) issue the command (capitilazation and spacing matter):

$ adb shell
    $ su
    # dd if=/sdcard/zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

This must be done as #, if you have a $ enter command: su
    You must already be rooted for this to work. To switch to a different kernel afterwards you can use the same method, or CWM without getting the yellow triangle again or increasing the flash counter. As long as you flash internally, if you use Odin or Heimdall to flash anything thats not stock it will come back.

REMOVING YELLOW TRIANGLE ICS AND ABOVE!
    -If running ICS or above you can use triangle away found here- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22462960

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CWM
    Flash these from CWM

CWM RECOVERY v6.0.2.7 (ODIN flash) Thanks to r00t4rd3d-

- PhilZ CWM v6.0.2.7 built by AJ Newkirk- (Thanks to mr-cook)- View attachment 1703135 (This is compatible with AJ Newkirks Siyah kernel and jeboo's new features in SHOstock3)
    - Phil's CWM v6.0.2.7 built by AJ Newkirk- (Thanks to mr-cook)-this one gets rid of the blue progress bar on the s2 boot screen, that's the only difference.

- CWM v6.0.2.7- (Thanks to mr-cook)- View attachment 1703137

-6.0.4.4 Odin-

- CWM v6.0.4.4- (Thanks to mr-cook)- View attachment 2387202

-6.0.4.5 Odin-

-6.0.4.5 zip-

-AJK CWM Odin-

-TWRP 2.7.0.0 recovery "thanks to razen kain" (flash from recovery)-
    Let me know if this link gets killed and I'll add it to Dev host.

Flashing other versions of CWM with adb (Root Required)
    - Extract the zImage (boot.img) from the ROM of your choice (I use 7zip to extract it).
    - Put the zImage (boot.img) on the root (not in a folder) of your internal SD card. You can do this through the usb, adb push (adb push- Copy and paste the zImage into your folder with adb, connect your phone with usb, then command- adb push zImage /sdcard/zImage), whatever method you like.
    - Now using adb shell (if you don't' have adb ask GOOGLE) issue the command (capitilazation and spacing matter):

$ adb shell
    $ su
    # dd if=/sdcard/zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6

or if it's a boot.img

# dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADB (android debug bridge)

STOCK APN
    APN
    Name- Straight Talk
    APN- wap.tracfone
    Proxy- Not set
    Port- Not set
    User name- Not set
    Password- Not set
    Server- Not set
    MMSC- http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMS proxy- mms2.tracfone.com
    MMS port- 80
    MCC- 310
    MNC- 410
    Authentication type- Not set
    APN type- default,supl,mms

BYOP sim card APN
    APN
    Name- Straight Talk
    APN- att.mvno
    Proxy- Not set
    Port- Not set
    User name- Not set
    Password- Not set
    Server- Not set
    MMSC- http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMS proxy- mms2.tracfone.com
    MMS port- 80
    MCC- 310
    MNC- 410
    Authentication type- Not set
    APN type- default,supl,mms

New APN
    Name: Straight Talk
    Apn: tfdata
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    Mms proxy : mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT: 80
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    APN TYPE: default,supl,mms

SIM unlock threads
    - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=10456038

- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30541172

If you don't have service after unlocking and switching SIM cards you need to flash an at&t modem like I777UCLL6 found above. Apparently the modem used by Straight Talk only works with their service.

Being THROTTLED? read this-

- I777 Main Thread-

- Samsung Drivers-

- BOOT INTO RECOVERY-
    Phone off- Hold volume up, volume down and power button until you reach Recovery menu.

- DOWNLOAD MODE-
    Power off, Hold volume down button, Plug in USB connected to computer, Hit volume up when prompted

- CWM ZIP FLASHING -
    - Save Zip file to be flashed to the Root (not in a folder) of your External SD card
    - BOOT INTO RECOVERY- Phone off
    - Select -install zip from sdcard, -choose zip from sdcard, -select the zip file you put there earlier, -it will ask you to confirm, select -yes -install
    - If you are installing a custom ROM Do this FIRST before installing Zip, -wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, select -advanced, -wipe dalvik cache

-Link to my CWM flashable Wipe Scripts-

More to come.......

THANKS
    None of this would be possible without
    - Entropy512
    - eclipsedarkmoon
    - r00t4rd3d
    - RenderBroken
    - and everyone else that has posted here, tested, questioned, etc...
    Off-Topic:

I just wanted to take a minute to congratulate mr-cook on becoming an XDA Recognized Contributor! :good: :good:

This guy gives so much to the SII community and it is great to see him be recognized for his efforts.

Congrats!

/Off-Topic
    The op needs to be updated with this'd information...

The latest cwm is only for kitkat ROMs, that's cm 11+. Of you want to go with jelly bean ROMs like the one you're trying to use, you need to use cwm 6.0.2.7 it's older but JB won't flash on the newer ones. There are a few different versions but any will work as long add it's philZ, AJK, or 6.0.2.7

Since you already have cwm installed you can just DL the zips and flash them in recovery then reboot "recovery" and it will be complete. No need for Odin now. Try that and get back to us

I think I'm just going to replace CWM with the new TWRP in the op. It seems to be easy more compatible. Plus I like it better.

EDIT: Done. Op updated to install TWRP with Odin to be more compatible.

Sent from my SGH-S959G
    since this post is in AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777 section...i thought it might be compatible. i even saw a lot of ROM posts where they says its compatible with i777 and sgh s959g....so i was in doubt and had to ask.....glad to know its not compatible...thx....

I thought it was...a lot of the ROMs I search are based on the i777 builds just have to make sure you have the correct radio installed.....I've rooted mine and used several different ROMs just based off of this thread. Searching the thread with the search tool will yield massive results. See post#5 from the OP that's a fairly good clue.

Ok ok ok wait... Let's clear up some confusion. The one and only difference between the 959g and the i777 is that the 959g has its recovery on a separate partition by itself, whereas the i777 has kernel and recovery on the same partition. The 959g can use any ROM or kernel built for the i777 no problem. But if you want a different recovery on 959g you must use one of the zips from the op or Odin. If you had an i777 and you flash a new kernel it will also install a new recovery as it will be packaged in the zip. If you flash the same kernel on the 959g, your kernel will change but recovery remains untouched since it is on a different partition. That is the one and only difference between the two. Happy flashing :thumbup::D