Soft-Brick / Bootloop - Stock Recovery & Reactivation Lock enabled - Backup Data?

Search This thread

flasher4401

Jul 6, 2014
Hi!

I have a big problem. I changed my build.prop with ES FE (rooted with CF-Auto-Root):
Code:
from "ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-samsung" to "ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-tmobile-de"

I rebooted and my phone stucks at the Samsung logo. I think ES set permissions wrong.

The Problem is:
I have Reactivation lock enabled & i'm on stock recovery.

So i'm not able to flash the rom again or a custom recovery because of the reactivation lock.
Also I can't fix permissions via stock recovery.

I think the only way out is to wipe my device. (This should restore the original build.prop?!)

But then i loose my data. Is there a way to make a backup of my personal data in this situation or to access the system folder?

EDIT 1: USB-Debugging is turned on, i'll install adb on my computer and try if i'm able to talk to my phone...

EDIT 2: It's not possible to access the system via adb. The only way i can establish a connection via adb is with the "adb sideload" menu of the stock recovery. If i boot until the samsung logo my computer recognizes the phone as an mtp device (unfortunately it doesnt show up in explorer) and the device manager says that there is no adb interface connected.

EDIT 3: I tried to install philz/twrp and cwm s5 port on my phone via stock recovery. It didn't work: "Footer is wrong" + "File verification failed". Is there any way to save my data? (Pictures?)

-flasher

Last edited:

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
I have a big problem.

I don't understand why you didn't make a backup before making inherently risky changes to your configuration. You may not be able to recover personal files without heroic measures. But I will list some things that you could attempt.

Most of the things that you could normally try e.g. installing a custom recovery will be blocked by your reactivation lock. Try pushing a stock properties file to your phone via ADB sideload. You also want to see what can be done from fastboot. If you can get even limited ADB or fastboot access, you can do a lot. The following commands would be emminently useful:

Code:
adb reboot recovery
adb shell
adb remount
adb push
adb pull
fastboot flash

Also search XDA for reactivation lock threads.. some people were claiming that they have found bugs /exploits that may aid you in recovering. You might also be able to dump the data partition from a JTAG interface - but that would be a highly technical, expert level procedure where a misstep could brick your phone.

And as a practical last resort, if nothing else works, try installing a firmware update instead of a full OEM image. That may replace enough system files to fix the boot process and might not delete your user files in the data partition.

Last edited:

flasher4401

Jul 6, 2014
Thanks for your reply.

If you can get even limited ADB or fastboot access, you can do a lot..

My device doesn't have a fastboot mode. Also i'm not able to use any other adbs commands than sideload (stock recovery).

And as a practical last resort, if nothing else works, try installing a firmware update imstead of a full OEM image. That may replace enough system files to fix the boot process and might not delete your user files in the data partition.

I managed to install a full image without losing any data. The reactivation lock allows to flash official roms. (I didn't think about that ealier..)

- flasher

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Thanks for your reply.

My device doesn't have a fastboot mode. Also i'm not able to use any other adbs commands than sideload (stock recovery).

I managed to install a full image without losing any data. The reactivation lock allows to flash official roms. (I didn't think about that ealier..)

- flasher

Samsung doesn`t use fastboot/bootloader mode like HTC or Nexus devices, instead they have downloade mode.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Samsung doesn`t use fastboot/bootloader mode like HTC or Nexus devices, instead they have downloade mode.

True but irrevelant. Some of the fastboot commands work on Samsung devices nonetheless and may be of value in desperate circumstances. fastboot reboot certainly works fine. And fastboot reboot-bootloader and fastboot flash complete with errors on the S3 and possibly on the S5 as well.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

flasher4401 said:

Glad to hear. Flashing firmware updates and images doesn't always wipe the /data partition. So count yourself lucky this time.

Reactions: gee2012

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Quote:
True but irrevelant. Some of the fastboot commands work on Samsung devices nonetheless and may be of value in desperate circumstances. fastboot reboot certainly works fine. And fastboot reboot-bootloader and fastboot flash complete with errors on the S3 and possibly on the S5 as well.

OP was asking if fastboot was available, so i replied to that so that and that makes it relevant. I know general adb commands work but fastboot/bootloader mode is just not available for Sammy devices :)

-Editi- Actualy adb reboot bootloader gets you into downloadmode, just tried it for the hell of it ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: flasher4401

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

flasher4401 said:

Glad to hear. Flashing firmware updates and images doesn't always wipe the /data partition. So count yourself lucky this time.

Quote:

OP was asking if fastboot was available, so i replied to that so that and that makes it relevant. I know general adb commands work but fastboot/bootloader mode is just not available for Sammy devices :)

-Editi- Actualy adb reboot bootloader gets you into downloadmode, just tried it for the hell of it ;)