[WP7DT] RemoteExecute

Search This thread

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
Right, I've been digging around with the Windows Phone Developer Tools, and have been working on a few things.

The first tool I'm releasing is RemoteExecute, it lets you run any program that's already on the device, supplying a path and any parameters. (e.g. \Windows\RegionCPL.exe)

It's currently only connecting to the first WP7 device it finds (not emulators) but it could connect to any device/emulator if I bothered to code an interface for it.

There's very little error handling, because this has sort of been whipped up in a hurry...

Anyway, it may or may not need a developer unlocked device (I don't know, I've only got unlocked ones) and it doesn't let you deploy anything at all. And you might need the real WP7 Developer Tools, but I can't test that.

Source code may be available if anyone wants it, but I'll need to clean it up a little...

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

Update
Requires a developer unlocked device (Chevron should work for this purpose)

Attachments

• l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute.zip
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,606
Last edited:

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
Programs to launch...

This is a list of some of the EXEs and what they do (bear in mind there are over 100 in \Windows, I'm not going through all of them!)
\Windows\Settings3.exe - Settings app
\Windows\ShortMsg.exe - SMS
\Windows\WebSearch.exe - Bing
\Windows\WiFiUXSplash.exe - WiFi setings
\Windows\ZipView.exe - Open ZipViewer, with no browsing function, needs ZIP passed via command line
\Windows\OMHub.exe - Office hub

Like on WM6.X, Office apps are PPT.exe, PXL.exe and PWORD.exe, but they need to be launched with command line parameters to open files, as they no longer have a browser built in.

Things that don't work:
\Windows\AutoDataConfig.exe - "Additional information: This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."

Last edited:
Reactions: contable

obelix

Nov 9, 2004
I like the idea of running apps from the desktop. Unfortunately when I run l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute.exe and provide a path like \windows\settings3.exe the app crashes:

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Native access\l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute\l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: l3v5y.wp7dt.remoteexecute.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4d164edf
Problem Signature 04: l3v5y.WP7DT.SmartDevice.Connectivity
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4d164e96
Problem Signature 07: 113
Problem Signature 08: 36
Problem Signature 09: TEEK34PJDMM4HDZEPFRMOBGOA4O3JUV0
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Have you seen crashes like this? I just have a Samsung connected, and the Zune software running.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
for me it also crashes no mater what path I use it always crash .
I have a hd7.

I like the idea of running apps from the desktop. Unfortunately when I run l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute.exe and provide a path like \windows\settings3.exe the app crashes:

Code:
Description
Faulting Application Path:	C:\Native access\l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute\l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01:	l3v5y.wp7dt.remoteexecute.exe
Problem Signature 02:	1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03:	4d164edf
Problem Signature 04:	l3v5y.WP7DT.SmartDevice.Connectivity
Problem Signature 05:	1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06:	4d164e96
Problem Signature 07:	113
Problem Signature 08:	36
Problem Signature 09:	TEEK34PJDMM4HDZEPFRMOBGOA4O3JUV0
OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID:	1033
Additional Information 1:	0a9e
Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3:	0a9e
Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Have you seen crashes like this? I just have a Samsung connected, and the Zune software running.

Can I check if either of you have the WP7 Developer Toolkit installed?

contable

Oct 25, 2009
This is a list of some of the EXEs and what they do (bear in mind there are over 100 in \Windows, I'm not going through all of them!)
\Windows\ZipView.exe - Open ZipViewer, with no browsing function, needs ZIP passed via command line

Like on WM6.X, Office apps are PPT.exe, PXL.exe and PWORD.exe, but they need to be launched with command line parameters to open files, as they no longer have a browser built in.

Things that don't work:
\Windows\AutoDataConfig.exe - "Additional information: This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator."

Does anybody know which .exe launches the Bluetooth settings ?

Since I left WM 6.5 I´m really missing a Bluetooth and WiFi Toggle on my startscreen...

Thanks in advance

contable

obelix

Nov 9, 2004
By developer toolkit, do you mean the official Windows Phone Developer Tools? If so yes I have that installed but not any other kits.

Toddsa

Jul 5, 2007
I am curious how do you execute a process on the devic, are you connecting to a device side winsock server over USB and calling CreateProcess?

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
I am curious how do you execute a process on the devic, are you connecting to a device side winsock server over USB and calling CreateProcess?

I'm using the same libraries as Microsoft use for XAP installation and general communication with the phone (other than Zune media).

I'll post some code/explanations and things when I've got my desktop with me again.

Essentially, it's similar to this, but there are some significant changes between the VS2008+WM6.X model and the VS2010+WP7 one.

Toddsa

Jul 5, 2007
If the ability to create a process exists in the public API you may be able to copy a native application to the device and start it using that public API. You could then create an RPC mechanism in your application like RAPI as 6.x devices had. RAPI was just a Winsock client \ server application. I wonder if it is possible to create and deploy a Telnet and FTP server to the device using those public connectivity API.

RAPI is documented on MSDN but since I am under 8 posts I can not include a URL here.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
If the ability to create a process exists in the public API you may be able to copy a native application to the device and start it using that public API. You could then create an RPC mechanism in your application like RAPI as 6.x devices had. RAPI was just a Winsock client \ server application. I wonder if it is possible to create and deploy a Telnet and FTP server to the device using those public connectivity API.

RAPI is documented on MSDN but since I am under 8 posts I can not include a URL here.
Creating processes is, but the file access functions of the libraries seem to give "Access Denied" errors on virtually everything. I'm working on this, and seeing whether there's a different library I can use.

It might be possible to piggy back on the VS2010 debugger utilities, and from there get more control over the device.

The advantage of deploying code to the device directly is it gets around the native code limitations of XAPs, and would allow a lot more freedom. Problem is, it doesn't work yet! I'll post my code when I can, as it's probably a useful basis for achieving more.

pth6

Feb 23, 2009
durieux.me

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Native access\l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute\l3v5y.WP7DT.RemoteExecute.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: l3v5y.wp7dt.remoteexecute.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4d164edf
Problem Signature 04: l3v5y.WP7DT.SmartDevice.Connectivity
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4d164e96
Problem Signature 07: 113
Problem Signature 08: 36
Problem Signature 09: TEEK34PJDMM4HDZEPFRMOBGOA4O3JUV0
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have the same error on my trophy with zune open and vs2010 with WP7 tools.

xboxmod

Senior Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Gap
Hi l3v5y
thanks for this very usefull tool.
it's possible to have the source file to see what we can do with it!

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
I already played with the source code for this app, which is almost the same as the Tom Xap Installer, Reflector if your friend :D

They're both effectively rehashes of the WP7 toolkit (though the XAP installer is just a copy/paste into one function of the Installer, this actually does something different).

Reflector is indeed your friend, though I'll post code when I can anyway, as it's a little less annoying to use! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Right, I've been digging around with the Windows Phone Developer Tools, and have been working on a few things.

The first tool I'm releasing is RemoteExecute, it lets you run any program that's already on the device, supplying a path and any parameters. (e.g. \Windows\RegionCPL.exe)

It's currently only connecting to the first WP7 device it finds (not emulators) but it could connect to any device/emulator if I bothered to code an interface for it.

There's very little error handling, because this has sort of been whipped up in a hurry...

Anyway, it may or may not need a developer unlocked device (I don't know, I've only got unlocked ones) and it doesn't let you deploy anything at all. And you might need the real WP7 Developer Tools, but I can't test that.

Source code may be available if anyone wants it, but I'll need to clean it up a little...

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

Update
    Requires a developer unlocked device (Chevron should work for this purpose)
    Programs to launch...

Things that don't work:
    I've just tested it, the device must be unlocked for the app to work!