[Q] Ram issues withICS

Search This thread

sdutta

Apr 14, 2012
After updating from GB to ICS 4.0.4 using the official update my nexus has slowed down.Earlier available free RAM always used to be above 180 mb.
But now it is always less than 130 mb.
As a result the experience has become really sluggish..

sdutta

Apr 14, 2012
i checked on the running apps also
even if i close all the apps (except android keyboard which is taking 11mb) available free memory is 130-140 mb only.

chronophase1

Mar 12, 2011
That seems about right. I have about 140 free once everything has been set up(google voice always running). But you said the phone was running sluggishly. Have you installed any other apps that weren't on your phone before the update? My phone got the official OTA and was pretty fast even before I rooted it again. Last resort would be a factory reset.

demo23019

Dec 9, 2007
After updating from GB to ICS 4.0.4 using the official update my nexus has slowed down.Earlier available free RAM always used to be above 180 mb.

How is it sluggish with 130mb free
Got to be something else causing this
With ram script I don't go under 90 and still really quick snappy

Last edited:

sdutta

Apr 14, 2012
That seems about right. I have about 140 free once everything has been set up(google voice always running). But you said the phone was running sluggishly. Have you installed any other apps that weren't on your phone before the update? My phone got the official OTA and was pretty fast even before I rooted it again. Last resort would be a factory reset.

I hav removed the 3-4 apps dat i installed after the update.But still no improvement.
For the people who have updated to ICS on nexus can u plz tell wat is the avg. available free RAM for you:confused:

Lar5

Mar 30, 2012
Vejle
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
For the people who have updated to ICS on nexus can u plz tell wat is the avg. available free RAM for you:confused:

I came from GB 2.3.6 and upgraded to ICS 4.0.3. (no root/mods)
With ICS 4.0.3 the average free RAM was around 70-90 MB. After demanding programs everything felt a little sluggish for a few moments. The biggest problem was the launcher (Nova) that often would redraw all the icons.

With the 4.0.4 (also stock) i had 80-90 MB free and everything ran noticeably smoother.

Then i rooted and flashed the Matr1x kernel. Now i typically got around 120-150 MB free.

gatun

Jun 19, 2010
stock rom are bad... i tip to flash mod rom... the best i think is cyberGR rom....

chronophase1

Mar 12, 2011
Get a ROM and kernel with bigmem support? I just flashed the latest matr1x kernel and constantly have over 180mb free. I don't really need all the extra RAM as my phone has never really bogged down.

vetvito

Dec 31, 2007
130? I'm lucky to stay above 60mb free. No sluggishness though, and I use the stock launcher, and it doesn't redraw.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

TigaTiger

Apr 13, 2012
Sydney
can anyone suggest some ways to free up more RAM to atleast 180-190mb

You need a custom rom. CM9 V6 works the best for this. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399035

Basically when you install this. It just installs a new system which basically wipes all the useless crap you dont need on the stock rom. Also if that doesnt help. Try the free astro manager and its modules. It basically allows you to enter your phone data and SD card. And research on what to wipe and not to wipe.

Also if you dont mind. Wipe dalvik cache. It wipes your application data. I highly recommend you to research on wipe dalvik cache and cache.

sdutta

Apr 14, 2012
is it possible that available free ram is less bcoz of cached apps.
GB didnt use cached apps unlike ICS

anglergab

Apr 14, 2012
Budapest
It is not particularly wise to draw far-reaching conclusions from the size of free RAM, in particular on Linux based systems.
Some used RAM can be anytime freed if necessary (cached/buffered/shared), otherwise it will enhance the general responsiveness of the system.
The Linux kernel manages RAM great, so you shouldn't worry about free RAM, unlike on Windows systems. If the system needs more RAM, Android will find the best possible way to produce it through removing really unneeded processes and services from RAM.
It can happen, that it seems you've got no free RAM, still the system is pretty responsive.

AeroEchelon

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
www.twitter.com

Having greater than 100 MB free is enough to create a smooth experience. Actually the more RAM your phone is using for recent apps, the better the experience is since your phone doesn't have to keep loading all of the app data into RAM. On the contrary, I would think the more RAM is used the less loading and therefore quicker app launching.

More RAM does not equate to a faster phone.

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
It is not particularly wise to draw far-reaching conclusions from the size of free RAM, in particular on Linux based systems.
Some used RAM can be anytime freed if necessary (cached/buffered/shared), otherwise it will enhance the general responsiveness of the system.

That said, if you're looking at the memory display in "Running processes" in the Android settings, memory used for file cache or by cached background processes counts as "free".

In my experience, ICS does tend to use more memory than Gingerbread, but not so much so that it's a problem. I do run with 64 MB swap, which makes no appreciable difference to speed either way, but reduces the number of launcher restarts.

Google_Nexus

Apr 12, 2012
tooy and then under the development section is the stock rooted tom that has a performance mod to ti. I would then save that to the phone and then in clock work mod do a factory reset three times and then install the performance mod and it will be alot better.