[APP][DEV]Moxee 0.3a (3rd Release) 11/09/2012 - (Steaming Video)

Search This thread
M

Meticulus

Development Info

Possible future functionality:
  • Youtube: comments, annotations( I suspect that this can be done), description etc.
  • "Save video to sdcard";
  • RTMP video sources would be nice...(I'm not sure I can do this but will be thinking about ways)

Changes in 0.3a:
  • 11/7/2012 Video transitions much shorter! DONE!
    The process for video selection is rather long so I'm having the next video selected while the current video is playing. This cuts down on time between video's in most cases!
  • 11/4/2012 Incorporation of YouTube related video's DONE!
    Related video's on a random metric!
  • 11/2/2012 Youtube video quality option. DONE!
    This one took a little while. Had do deal with what was available on a case by case basis. Bonus: Revision3 video's obey the quality setting!
  • 11/2/2012 Preserve last video and position for resuming. DONE!
    This turned out to be pretty simple too. Just had to store some state info in the db.
    This was much easier than I thought it would be!
  • 11/2/2012 Provide "In App" button for settings. DONE!
    This was much easier than I thought it would be!
  • 10/25/2012 9 patched the background image for feed items. DONE!
    I was hoping that 9 patching the background image would give me a more consistent look across multiple devices in the feed manager. It helped but not nearly as much as I would have hoped.

Changes in 0.2a:
  • 10/16/2012 Stop Moxee from playing while the screen is off. DONE!
    There was an issue where if you turned the screen off when Moxee was in a transitional phase, threads that were started before the screen was turned off would cause the app to continue to play videos. Terminating these threads have resolved the issue!
  • 10/15/2012 Toggle fullscreen to access notifications. DONE!
    This turned out to be a simple matter of adding and clearing window flags. Now when ever you see the onscreen display, you will have access to the notification bar!
  • 10/15/2012 Worked out a few minor issues.
    There was an issue were sources were not seen until they had been updated by the back-end.
    Added thumbnails for sources in the feed manager.
    There was an issue where if YouTube did not have a "medium" quality mp4 for any particular video it would error off.
    Resolved a threading issue where if next was pressed at a particular time, there would be a discontinuity between the titlebar and the actual video playing.
    Resolved a threading issue where the titlebar said it was "Loading when in fact it was playing a video.
  • 10/13/2012 Making setting available to those without physical menu button. DONE!
    According to the information provided here (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11702831/android-best-way-to-let-user-access-preference-activity) putting a menu option called "Settings" in the menu will cause ICS and above to show the 3 dot soft settings button. We shall see!
    Well as it turns out that if you lower your build target(ei gingerbread), ICS (and above) will auto detect and put soft settings button in the action bar. However, lowering the build target caused problems with the latest Google ads jar so I had to revert to a lower version of that, but It's all working now!! I just need to make sure that the ads are really working.
History:
  • 10/12/2012 Moxee Initial Release 0.1a
  • 10/19/2012 Moxee 2nd Release 0.2a
  • 11/09/2012 Moxee 3rd Release 0.3a

Last edited:
M

Meticulus

Download Links

Attachments

• Moxee-0.1a.apk
    512 KB · Views: 51
  • Moxee-0.2a.apk
    460.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Moxee-0.3a.apk
    405.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

lattisimo

Jan 27, 2007
Claremore
Works fairly well on my Sprint GS3 running 4.1.1.

Main problem, plays after turning the screen off.

Would love to be able to turn to portrait to get access to notifications without stopping the video.

Nice work

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
Running well on my Xoom (4.1.2).

It would be nice to be able to get to the original source of the video somehow, however I kind of like that you can't as it saves your from becoming distracted and not actually watching anything all the way through. In that respect it really is like watching old analogue TV. :)

Edit - Menu not available on the Xoom due to the lack of a dedicated (physical) menu button. ;)

Last edited:
M

Meticulus

Works fairly well on my Sprint GS3 running 4.1.1.

Main problem, plays after turning the screen off.

Would love to be able to turn to portrait to get access to notifications without stopping the video.

Nice work

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for giving my app a try! :) I have reproduced that it does play with the screen off and I will be working on that one. I don't think that I'm prepared to allow the app into portrait mode but what I will work on is the option to take it out of full screen mode so users will have access to the notification bar.

M

Meticulus

Running well on my Xoom (4.1.2).

It would be nice to be able to get to the original source of the video somehow, however I kind of like that you can't as it saves your from becoming distracted and not actually watching anything all the way through. In that respect it really is like watching old analogue TV. :)

Edit - Menu not available on the Xoom due to the lack of a dedicated (physical) menu button. ;)

Thanks so much for testing on your Xoom! I suspected that the lack of a physical menu button might be a problem. I suppose it would be best to make my own buttons for those functions. When you say, original source of the video, I'm not sure what you mean, but I am considering a "download this video" button for the future and even a "cache these video's overnight" kinda thing...

conantroutman

Dec 10, 2009
Thanks so much for testing on your Xoom! I suspected that the lack of a physical menu button might be a problem. I suppose it would be best to make my own buttons for those functions. When you say, original source of the video, I'm not sure what you mean, but I am considering a "download this video" button for the future and even a "cache these video's overnight" kinda thing...

You're welcome, also tested on my SGSII (CM10 4.1.2) and running fine there too.

When I said original source I meant for example being able to get to a video on YouTube or wherever it originally came from in case someone wanted read the comments or get some background info etc...

Cheers :)

M

Meticulus

Moxee 0.2a released. See 2nd post entitled "Development Info" for changes. See 1rst or 4th post for download links!. Let me know what you think!

conantroutman

Dec 10, 2009
Thanks again for testing! How is the video quality on the xoom? Watchable?:confused:

Very watchable. It's not really any different to the quality it would be on YouTube, obviously some things that were uploaded in a lower resolution may not scale up to the larger screen size so well but I won't hold you responsible for that... ;):p

sxeforlife

Feb 4, 2008
I have a few devices I'll test on for you. All U.S. devices. HTC Sensation 4G, SGS2 T989, Galaxy Note 10.1, and if the app will be compatible I also have a Motorola Charm, Motorola Cliq2, and an older MyTouch 3G. I'll let you know how they all perform though. Thanks for the app, and it's a great idea and piece of software.:D

Doorman404

Oct 18, 2010
Just tested it on an 7 inch tablet. Looks great,
but I only see 3 buttons... Where's the Menu key?

M

Meticulus

I have a few devices I'll test on for you. All U.S. devices. HTC Sensation 4G, SGS2 T989, Galaxy Note 10.1, and if the app will be compatible I also have a Motorola Charm, Motorola Cliq2, and an older MyTouch 3G. I'll let you know how they all perform though. Thanks for the app, and it's a great idea and piece of software.:D

Thanks so much for givin' it a try! While your testing, if you think of anything that might improve the experience or any options you'd like to see, give'em a post here!

M

Meticulus

Just tested it on an 7 inch tablet. Looks great,
but I only see 3 buttons... Where's the Menu key?

If you 7 inch tablet has Gingerbread then, I think, it should have a hardware menu button. If you 7 inch tablet has honey comb or above there should be a "3 dot" software button in the bottom bar, next to the 3 buttons on the left. If however, your 7 inch tablet has no hardware button and is running gingerbread or below, that is the case where there would be a problem :(

If this is the case, let me know, and I'll put it on the list for 0.3a :good:

Thanks so much for testing and let me know if there is anything else you notice, or if there is anything that you think would make the experience better!

M

Meticulus

FC on Motorola Atrix stock 2.3.4

Wysyłane z mojego MB860 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

This is a shame... I know my sig says that I have an Atrix, and I did, but I got rid of it and haven't removed it from my sig yet. Is there anything that you can tell me about the force close? Logcat info? When it happens, etc? Do you have a lapdock or...

Thanks very much for given it a try, even though it doesn't seem to work for you :eek:

Doorman404

Oct 18, 2010
If you 7 inch tablet has Gingerbread then, I think, it should have a hardware menu button. If you 7 inch tablet has honey comb or above there should be a "3 dot" software button in the bottom bar, next to the 3 buttons on the left. If however, your 7 inch tablet has no hardware button and is running gingerbread or below, that is the case where there would be a problem :(

If this is the case, let me know, and I'll put it on the list for 0.3a :good:

Thanks so much for testing and let me know if there is anything else you notice, or if there is anything that you think would make the experience better!

It got ICS with no Menu button.
I know the 3 dot butten, most of the apps has it, but yours don't :(

If you'll got the time, Can you add an icon for MENU?
Moxee got lot's of potential but
it's not really usable without costomizing the feeds :)