[Q] GPS drop out

Search This thread

rfah

Dec 21, 2013
Brand new Huawei P6 ... GPS horrible!!! .. takes ages to lock on, and then when it does [sometimes] cannot use NAV for any reliable length of time as GPS drops out and stays out .... oh, some times it might come back on again .. but long after the waypoint has been passed making the navigation service completely useless ....

Have upgraded to B111 via the GUI on the phone. Android 4.2.2 but ... no joy.

I have been trying to find a reason .. thought maybe it was app related and that myabe gmaps or nav contributing to the issue ... so installed some GPS helper apps to try and troubleshoot the issue, but they seem to be affected by the same problem ...

I am annoyed and frustrated as i rely heavily on GPS ... the Ascend G600 i had previously worked flawlessly!!!

Has anybody got any clues on this ... :crying: :confused: :(

UpUpAndAway

Apr 8, 2012
Try TopNTP. Play around with the settings. One of them might speed up lock on tremendously.

My fastest lock on was 7 seconds, even with GPS cold start. Inside my apartment!

rfah

Dec 21, 2013
Try TopNTP. Play around with the settings. One of them might speed up lock on tremendously.

My fastest lock on was 7 seconds, even with GPS cold start. Inside my apartment!

Thnx for the suggestion UpUp ... but unfort no joy either with TopNTP.

So did a factory reset and first up Google Maps Navigation finds my location and draws the route to destination .. even get a voice announcement to send me on my journey ... BUT from that point on the GPS icon continually flashes with a notification "Searching for GPS ..." that continues ad infinitum with the map locked on my initial position ... suddenly it might jump to some totally inaccurate location ... and then finally the voice announces Lost GPS Connection ...

However, on one occassion .. after 'searching for location' for about 15 mins .. all of a sudden my location is pinned as accurate and the navigation went along smoothly for about 3 klm ... then "Lost GPS Connection" again ... never to return!!

I have tried TopNTP, GPS Status & Fix, GPS Fix, Essential GPS ecc ... but no joy!!

I cannot believe just how crappy the Google Maps Navigation is on this highly regarded HUAWEI phone is!!!

Surely i cant be the ONLY one with this gripe??? But at this stage i can find very little on the net about it ... very frustrating!!

PS: At one stage i got GPS Status & Fix to lock on in smart time 7 seconds with maybe 6 out of 9 sats .. but then when i loaded Google Maps Navigation, even GPS Status & Fix could no longer get a fix!!!

Does anybody know if there is an issue with the software Google Maps Navigation????

Help IS neeeeded .. thnx!

UpUpAndAway

Apr 8, 2012
Mmm... wonder if your P6's GPS is defective. You should get service since it's new.

I read a lot about slow lock-on, but it is a common complaint on most brand names. Nothing can't be remedied by TopNTP or GPS Fix.

rfah

Dec 21, 2013
Mmm... wonder if your P6's GPS is defective. You should get service since it's new.

I read a lot about slow lock-on, but it is a common complaint on most brand names. Nothing can't be remedied by TopNTP or GPS Fix.

Okay .. fair call .. i was starting to think the same way due to lack of similar cases returned via Google search.

Spoke to their local service centre ... after describing the issue was promptly told to return the phone for servicing, even though i pressed for a firmware upgrade! Even though they would not admit it, sounds like they believed it to be a hardware issue.

So have to wait 2-3 days for an email to arrange pickup instructions .. then 2-3 weeks for resolution!!! But i have no option, save throw it in the bin and try another brand/model ... obviously at my expense! .. wtf ... will just have to be patient.

Will advise on outcome.

Thnx

tcjen

Nov 28, 2009
This is what I did,

go to dialer, press
*#*#2846579159#*#* then go to item5, background setting, next to AGPS settings, change the positioning method to autonomous, on service location, change to supl.google.com. This will speed up the GPS lock. I am using ASIA phone, not sure if your firmware is similar. Good luck.

Last edited:

heross

Oct 14, 2007
This is what I did,

go to dialer, press
*#*#2846579159#*#* then go to item5, background setting, next to AGPS settings, change the positioning method to autonomous, on service location, change to supl.google.com. This will speed up the GPS lock. I am using ASIA phone, not sure if your firmware is similar. Good luck.

Hello,

can you made a screenshoot from your menu? what have you set on the other entry's?

tcjen

Nov 28, 2009
GPS.cong

Hello,

can you made a screenshoot from your menu? what have you set on the other entry's?

Alternatively, if your phone is rooted, you can replace the gps.conf file under the System\etc\ with the one I am using now.
I actually got it from the LG Flex and played around with it. It works perfactly. When you have Internet on, it fix the SAT really quick.
You need the Root Explorer to change the permission to overwrite or delete.

Attachments

• gps.rar
    1.4 KB · Views: 486

awakened77

Feb 7, 2013
Hodonín
Alternatively, if your phone is rooted, you can replace the gps.conf file under the System\etc\ with the one I am using now.
I actually got it from the LG Flex and played around with it. It works perfactly. When you have Internet on, it fix the SAT really quick.

Can I use this on Europe version of the phone?

Edit: OK, I answer myself. The posted gps.conf file works great on my phone (EU/CZ) and at the moment I get fix in a few seconds.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GPS.cong

Hello,