IMEI repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

evilkoal

Feb 9, 2014
Hello!
I have tried searching the g2 forums for a way to repair my IMEI, as the one I had has been set to all zeroes. Is there any way to fix this? I do not have any backups of anything on my phone, i have tried using maui meta, but for some reason it cannot interface with my phone, and neither can hyperterminal. i get it to connect, but then it doesn't let me type anything.

If anyone knows a way to fix this, i would appreciate your help greatly! PM or on the forum here, either work just fine!

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
Hello!
I have tried searching the g2 forums for a way to repair my IMEI, as the one I had has been set to all zeroes. Is there any way to fix this? I do not have any backups of anything on my phone, i have tried using maui meta, but for some reason it cannot interface with my phone, and neither can hyperterminal. i get it to connect, but then it doesn't let me type anything.

If anyone knows a way to fix this, i would appreciate your help greatly! PM or on the forum here, either work just fine!

Have you tried going back to stock ? Restoring back to the firmware that came with your phone? If not try that. But if you have You may just be out of luck :(

markrulesallnow

Oct 15, 2012
Hello!

This is a total shot in the dark, but did you try running maui meta or hyperterminal as an Adminstrator?

evilkoal

Feb 9, 2014
This is a total shot in the dark, but did you try running maui meta or hyperterminal as an Adminstrator?

I have tried flashing back, but still no IMEI.

I have tried using administrator mode on both but it doesnt work., i wonder if i am using a wrong setting? maybe i am missing something? there is no CP-USB mode that i can see in the engineering menu...

Last edited:

leomd333

Feb 20, 2013
I have tried flashing back, but still no IMEI.

I have tried using administrator mode on both but it doesnt work., i wonder if i am using a wrong setting? maybe i am missing something? there is no CP-USB mode that i can see in the engineering menu...

Do you have a stock ROM back-up of your device form before you lost the imei? if so, restore that and it should restore your imdi. Other than that i can't tell you much else, supposedly once your imei is gone, it is gone for good.

evilkoal

Feb 9, 2014
Do you have a stock ROM back-up of your device form before you lost the imei? if so, restore that and it should restore your imdi. Other than that i can't tell you much else, supposedly once your imei is gone, it is gone for good.

I do not. There is no way it can be gone for good. It has to be editable with a hex editor or something somehow. Just because it is illegal to change your info dies NOT mean that it is impossible or that people should stop finding out how to do it. I have tried all the simple tricks with terminal in su mode, but they don't seem to take. There has to be another way.

Reactions: leomd333

droidiac13

Jul 19, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
I do not. There is no way it can be gone for good. It has to be editable with a hex editor or something somehow. Just because it is illegal to change your info dies NOT mean that it is impossible or that people should stop finding out how to do it. I have tried all the simple tricks with terminal in su mode, but they don't seem to take. There has to be another way.

Here's the deal. You're effed. Do a warranty replacement. Once your IMEI is gone, you are out of luck. Sorry and I hope I'm wrong, but I have yet to see someone fix it.

Reactions: G1_enthusiast
B

bachera

How did you break it?

Sent from my g2 using xda app-developers app

leomd333

Feb 20, 2013

Ha, never knew changing/adjusting your imei was a legal issue. As to changing it back, i suppose you are correct, the imei is on the box and the sticker from the device, you all you gotta do is find a working hex editor and type the imei back in.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

evilkoal

Feb 9, 2014
where is it?

Ha, never knew changing/adjusting your imei was a legal issue. As to changing it back, i suppose you are correct, the imei is on the box and the sticker from the device, you all you gotta do is find a working hex editor and type the imei back in.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Where would i find the file with the IMEI in it, so i can edit it? i mean, i tried the backup way, but the img files jack everything up so i cannot edit the imei in them.

B

bachera

Because of identification issues, imei is rarely changeable by average user, its not likely it will ever be some file you can edit just like that mwahhaha

Sent from my g2 using xda app-developers app

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
i had this same problem on a windows phone. i tried to reinstall the stock rom on it to get my imei back. i could get the rom installed but had no network connection because imei was still messed up. long story short, if you have no efs backup then you're just f'ed. you may be able to get it fixed with a jtag repair. there's a company that specializes in things like this if you google them. they are mobiletechvideos. i've delt with them before and they are nice people. the only option you may have is to change your imei. but that is illegal.

evilkoal

Feb 9, 2014
i had this same problem on a windows phone. i tried to reinstall the stock rom on it to get my imei back. i could get the rom installed but had no network connection because imei was still messed up. long story short, if you have no efs backup then you're just f'ed. you may be able to get it fixed with a jtag repair. there's a company that specializes in things like this if you google them. they are mobiletechvideos. i've delt with them before and they are nice people. the only option you may have is to change your imei. but that is illegal.

Well how would I go about changing it, for educational purposes only, of course. We'll just say I'm not bound by the same laws as you folks because of where I live currently, and the fact that I purchased my phone.

if LG and companies can do it, then we can do it as well. The information is somewhere on the phone, accessible to these people, so it is there and accessible for us as well. There is no way that this is impossible if someone else can do it.

Last edited:

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009
IMEI is what your service provider use to turn off phones if its stolen, and use it to track down people that stole your phone. Once its gone its gone, this is call a hard brick, you cant fix it, send it in or buy another phone. Stop being a hard head, or having faith, you cant fix this.

P.S Dont give him your IMEI, if he did manage to fix it with your IMEI (by an act of god), that means your phone is Effed...its like stealing identity.

Last edited:

evilkoal

Feb 9, 2014
IMEI is what your service provider use to turn off phones if its stolen, and use it to track down people that stole your phone. Once its gone its gone, this is call a hard brick, you cant fix it, send it in or buy another phone. Stop being a hard head, or having faith, you cant fix this.

P.S Dont give him your IMEI, if he did manage to fix it with your IMEI (by an act of god), that means your phone is Effed...its like stealing identity.

you sir, are retarded. I am not asking for anybody's imei. if you could understand what was written, you would see that i am attempting to figure out how to edit the imei. it is not illegal to change your own phone's imei unless it is stolen, and i do not live in america or europe so i am out of those d-bag's jurisdiction. I can legally do whatever i want.
I cannot send in my phone because it is beyond the warranty, and i have already rooted it. it is not hardbricked, because it still turns on, wifi works fine, a hard brick is when your phone will not even boot up. learn your terminology. IMEI repair is possible, obviously, because tech companies can fix it, and so are the manufacturers. if it were hard coded, the manufacturer would have to pull a chip out of the phone, which is highly unlikely as it is neither cost nor time efficient.
you stop being a hard head, and thinking that things are impossible. if everybody thought like you, we would still be beating each other over the head with sticks.

yoohoo

Sep 5, 2008
I was once in the same boat whereby I accidentally restored the efs backup from my wife's g2. Fortunately I had a backup of my efs and everything was fine after I restored the original copy.

Sorry this info will most probably not helping you.

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
you sir, are retarded. I am not asking for anybody's imei. if you could understand what was written, you would see that i am attempting to figure out how to edit the imei. it is not illegal to change your own phone's imei unless it is stolen, and i do not live in america or europe so i am out of those d-bag's jurisdiction. I can legally do whatever i want.
I cannot send in my phone because it is beyond the warranty, and i have already rooted it. it is not hardbricked, because it still turns on, wifi works fine, a hard brick is when your phone will not even boot up. learn your terminology. IMEI repair is possible, obviously, because tech companies can fix it, and so are the manufacturers. if it were hard coded, the manufacturer would have to pull a chip out of the phone, which is highly unlikely as it is neither cost nor time efficient.
you stop being a hard head, and thinking that things are impossible. if everybody thought like you, we would still be beating each other over the head with sticks.

you are right, imei's are not hard coded. most of them are just a txt file in the partition that is read. but if you corrupt that partition then you cant get that txt file back. not all manufacturers use a txt file though, as was the case with my lumia 920. nokia uses something else, like a xml file that is harder to alter than a txt file. this is why i suggested a jtag. they will be able to get you back up and running but there's a possibility that you still wont have you imei repaired. in that case you wont have network connection. lg can also do this for you. if they wont be able to recover your imei they will just give you a new one that is not associated with any other phone. but i suspect lg will want some money to do this.

G1_enthusiast

Oct 11, 2009

who's the retarded one? the one that got their IMEI deleted or the one telling you that its not possible? this issue was first discover on the Samsung Galaxy S2 and no one has an answer for it unless you backed up your EFS, which I'm sure you dint.

your right you can do whatever you want, but I'm telling people not to give their IMEI to you, in case they dont know. If they are dumb enough to give it to you, then they are just as dumb as you for deleting your IMEI.

you can send it in, if you dont have warranty, then pay for them to fix it...duh? if you want to play then you gotta pay. Your right your phone is not technically "hardbrick" but if you cant make call, cant connect to service provider, cant send text message, cant do what a phone suppose to do then its a hard brick or would you like to call it an ipod touch? because I'm happy to accommodate you. G-luck dummy lol.

ApriliaM3

Retired Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2012
Bangkok
We don't allow IMEI discussions on XDA, especially discussions which are heading the way this one is.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here's the deal. You're effed. Do a warranty replacement. Once your IMEI is gone, you are out of luck. Sorry and I hope I'm wrong, but I have yet to see someone fix it.