Amaze Bricked

Search This thread

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
---See Update below at end of this post---

The phone was running fine till yesterday however it got discharged. Upon reaching home, I put the phone on charge forgot to turn it on. I remember the orange light on phone was on. About 2 hours later, I noticed that there was no notification light. I tried to turn on the phone but it didn't turn on :(

I removed the battery and tried again, the same thing. I put the charger cable back in, the orange light blinked a couple of time and it became steady orange. Tried to turn the phone on again and the light again went off. I tried the same thing over and over its the same result. I connected the phone to windows, its detected as qhsusb_dload and need drivers for it. I've searched around xda for it, I've found it means the phone is bricked for phones having qualcomm chipset, but the strange thing is it usually happens because of bad flash. My phone was running fine without any problems for past couple of weeks and I hadn't had flashed anything for last 2-3 days, I don't know what went wrong :(

Any idea how should I proceed ?

I bought my phone from eBay about 3 weeks back. I'm thinking of contacting the eBay seller and ask if they have tmobile warranty for it?
The other thing I could do is purchase squaretrade warranty and ask them for a repair 45 days later.

But I don't know, I had unlocked the bootloader and installed a custom ROM on it (although I was on stock kernel). Do you guys think, HTC or squaretrade will honor the warranty on it ? I know the second option is kind of immoral, but i dont want to lose $400 I just spent :(

--- UPDATE 03/31 ---

I got the replacement battery from HTC, using it my phone started. Later on, I changed to X's touch recovery and kernel to Faux 009 and guess what I was able to revive my dead battery also by charging via phone itself... I dont know where the bug lied exactly as somebody mentioned at other place the stock kernel in NRGZ thread is different from tmo stock and causing problems. My guess is bad recovery though as the CWM 5.0.2.6 for Amaze here doesn't support off charging...

--- UPDATE 04/05 ---

Member andy55 confirmed this bug is due to bad recovery and the stock kernel itself is fine.

I would suggest everyone to not use official CWM 5.0.2.6 recovery. Rather switch to Xboarder56's version of ClockworkMOD 5.5.0.4 or Touch 5.8.0.9 RC2

If a mod can put this above information in the reference thread for Amaze..It would save a lot of potential probs in Amaze's in here :)

Last edited:
G

glacierguy

Battery fail sounds more right... You didn't brick the phone charging it, I can promise that :D

Try a different battery if possible

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Battery fail sounds more right... You didn't brick the phone charging it, I can promise that :D

Try a different battery if possible

Yes, I know its the most strange thing ever happened.

Do you or anybody know if sensation battery works on it. My room mate has a sensation I can ask him for his battery and try it out

andy55

Sep 10, 2009
sounds like the same thing that happened to my backup amaze. I swapped batteries and the same issue was affecting the other one, so its the battery. One of my amaze's is rooted rom'd etc and the other is stock, and the same issue affected the stock one, so its not a brick.

Good time to upgrade to an anker :)

Reactions: Mafioso
G

glacierguy

Yes, I know its the most strange thing ever happened.

Do you or anybody know if sensation battery works on it. My room mate has a sensation I can ask him for his battery and try it out

Idk myself... Do you have a tmo store nearby? They would prolly have one for you to test with and to buy... But don't buy there.... Way too overpriced

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
^Yes, that's a good idea, I have one nearby..I'll go there in evening, as I'm on work now.. which makes me wonder glacier what you do, you're always here :p

By the way is there any way to reset the battery like shorting it or something like that which discharges it...I think it might just work, however I'm not quite sure how to do it

Last edited:
G

glacierguy

^Yes, that's a good idea, I have one nearby..I'll go there in evening, as I'm on work now.. which makes me wonder glacier what you do, you're always here :p

By the way is there any way to reset the battery like shorting it or something like that which discharges it...I think it might just work, however I'm not quite sure how to do it

Lol I'm a bill collector... So pay your medical bills!

Not your avg collector making $10/hr in a cubie either. I have my own office, some clients of my own, and a lofty salary+commission package :D. While I wait for ppl to answer there phones, I browse the forum as a time killer...

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
HTC also replaces any accessory once, you could call and they'd probably send you a free battery.
I just got another back cover from them, since my old one was creaking.

To Discharge the battery, you could get a couple led lights and tape them to the + and - terminals of the battery and just let it die.
Radioshack has leds.

Probably not the easiest way... But it would work.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA

Last edited:

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
HTC also replaces any accessory once, you could call and they'd probably send you a free battery.

To Discharge the battery, you could get a couple led lights and tape them to the + and - terminals of the battery and just let it die.
Radioshack has leds.

I tried to shorten it using just a simple wire and connecting the positive and negative terminals..however it doesn't seem to be doing anything

Already gotten the back cover myself..now I have both black and white covers :D

Will they send out second accessory also ?

Last edited:

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
I think they will send as many accessories just as you only ask for one of each. That's what it said on the paper they sent in the mail.

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
ok went to the TMO store on my way back...but guys at there refused to test it out saying they don't have any tester battery's...moreover I'm not a TMO customer so they said they can't me help much either :mad:

Anyway, I called up HTC customer service, it seems they do honor warranty on tmobile sets, however I just asked them to ship me a replacement battery for now, if that doesn't work, I'll send the phone over to HTC for repair...

BTW customer support guy said the notification light blinks in case the battery is extremely dead. I hope it does work with new battery...I don't know how will they take it when they find unlocked bootloader and custom ROM installed on it...

dullhunk

Jan 30, 2012
Dont worry, they wont even get to know about it ..
Because they are not that knowledge about it ...

G

glacierguy

ok went to the TMO store on my way back...but guys at there refused to test it out saying they don't have any tester battery's...moreover I'm not a TMO customer so they said they can't me help much either :mad:

Anyway, I called up HTC customer service, it seems they do honor warranty on tmobile sets, however I just asked them to ship me a replacement battery for now, if that doesn't work, I'll send the phone over to HTC for repair...

BTW customer support guy said the notification light blinks in case the battery is extremely dead. I hope it does work with new battery...I don't know how will they take it when they find unlocked bootloader and custom ROM installed on it...

Good stuff... It will work

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

G

glacierguy

Just talked to my buddy. EXACT same thing just happened to him the other day. Getting a replacement battery

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio

With your phone being s-on, you can't technically brick your phone. So as long as it's a hardware failure, and you don't have s-off and haven't been holding out on us you should be fine.

Reactions: Mafioso

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
Just talked to my buddy. EXACT same thing just happened to him the other day. Getting a replacement battery

Seems this problem is common enough then...we already have 3 people including me which have this since I started this thread :confused:

Wondering, if an after market independent battery charger can revive the battery, I'll get one if everything works fine with replacement battery..

Ya sensation battery will work. I have tried it

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using xda premium

I thought about it, but don't want to go ahead...I will just wait for replacement battery...

Last edited:

wadill

May 29, 2011
Myrtle Beach S.C.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1522351

If you have a qsb_load brick caused in any way, plz try to identify your phones emmc like they did here in the link for the sensation in a Linux environment. You can only access this mode on a bricked phone.

I think we may be able to s-off using a version of this method. Ultimately intentionally bricking a phone and achieve installing a cracked boot loader and s-off.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

Mafioso

Nov 13, 2007
Pune
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1522351

If you have a qsb_load brick caused in any way, plz try to identify your phones emmc like they did here in the link for the sensation in a Linux environment. You can only access this mode on a bricked phone.

I think we may be able to s-off using a version of this method. Ultimately intentionally bricking a phone and achieve installing a cracked boot loader and s-off.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using xda premium

Ok, I went through the thread to make out, what they are trying to do, however, without much success...

I couldn't find the pin they use on sensation to ground it to SD card frame, to put it in download mode. See the image attached, its kind of different from sensation. Also I can't find it any instructions for Linux environment, its mostly windows based (drivers and software). Can you point out the post or do a write up ? I have a mac with me, I'm guessing it would be same for os X also..

Anyway I don't know, if I should be doing all this...since I plan to RMA the phone to HTC incase it doesn't work with new battery.
However, if its indeed battery related and it does work with new battery, what I can do is ship you the battery which causes the brick. You can try the things on your Amaze, if you want to...since you seem better technically sound than me :)

Attachments

• page_htc_amaze_4g-img_1247.jpg
    page_htc_amaze_4g-img_1247.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 113

RootaToota

Feb 17, 2011
Phoenix
Seems this problem is common enough then...we already have 3 people including me which have this since I started this thread :confused:

Wondering, if an after market independent battery charger can revive the battery, I'll get one if everything works fine with replacement battery..

I thought about it, but don't want to go ahead...I will just wait for replacement battery...

HTC Sensation Battery DOES work in the Amaze.
Independent battery charger DOES work as well.

I use Anker battery 1900 mAh from Amazon.
I use an external charger also found on Amazon (white- about $10).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Radioshack has leds.

sounds like the same thing that happened to my backup amaze. I swapped batteries and the same issue was affecting the other one, so its the battery. One of my amaze's is rooted rom'd etc and the other is stock, and the same issue affected the stock one, so its not a brick.

Good time to upgrade to an anker :)

With your phone being s-on, you can't technically brick your phone. So as long as it's a hardware failure, and you don't have s-off and haven't been holding out on us you should be fine.

Actually, I think I remember reading something a while back, but there's a problem with either some of the custom ROMs or recoveries.

I think some developers also warned NOT to let your battery discharge all the way when using the custom ROM/recovery, or else you won't be able to charge it again.

This was a while back though, so I don't know if this is the same problem.

So short version, don't let your phone's battery die down to 0% before charging it again.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dock-Batter...090330?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item336f076f5a

Best thing I ever got for my phone. Under 4 bucks shipped. Works great if you are having issues charging your battery if you let it go completely dead. I don't use it much but don't worry about completely draining my battery anymore either.

Works well if you have a 2nd battery too, since you can charge a battery in the charger and use the USB plug at the same time.