Originally Posted by wnb_jr
Samsung Captivate SGH_I897 running CWM 10.1.2. Does not recognize sim card, but sim card works in another phone. Looking for a modem that may work in the Memphis, TN area or any modem files at all, as well as instructions on how to flash it. Bought the phone cheap at a yard sale. A friend of mine has told me it is probably the modem file, but he isnt that familiar with androids, just the one he has. Could resetting back to stock and reflashing help? Or just reflash the modem?
: Take a look at this sticky thread for a flashing guide, and attached to Post 1 is the Odin software you would need: [Stock ROMs](OneClicks Master Collection)+[Kernels (Stock & w/ CWM)]+[Modems] UPDATED
. Links in my signature I would recommend following: Stock GB ROM
. The ROM and Corn Kernel are Ginger Bread stock release KK4, and the Modems sticky thread has a link to a map where users tag which modem worked for them and in what area. And as always, have fun.
Quick version flashing to stock (mostly):
1. Download "I897UCKK4 Odin One Click - Stock, NO Bootloaders, Re-partition, Full Wipe" and extract. (Stock GB ROM link)
2. Follow instructions from 4-2ndtwin contained in the txt file to flash the stock rom.
3. Download "Odin3v1.85.zip" and extract. (Stock ROMs OneClicks Master Collection post #1)
4. Download Odin flashable version of Corn Kernel 7.06. (Kernel link)
5. Run Odin3 v1.85.exe. Load Corn kernel into the PDA slot of Odin. Connect your phone in Download Mode to your computer, wait until Odin recognizes it, and click Start. When Odin displays the big green PASS, disconnect the micro USB from your phone.
6. Reboot your phone into Recovery (typically holding down three buttons Volume Up, Down, and Power until the phone reboots, then when you see the initial splash screen come up let go of the buttons). Navigate the Recovery menus and find the option to Root and install SuperUser.
7. Profit. Now that you're back to Stock with root and SU, you can go anywhere from there- flash other ROMs if you want (now on you can flash them through Recovery instead of Odin). Backup options in Recovery are referred to as 'Nandroid backup'. Recovery is also known as CWM or ClockWorkMod recovery. If necessary check out the Modems thread. Any issues connecting your phone may be answered in 4-2ndtwin's thread Captivate - PC Connection Issues, Download Mode and Recovery Mode Help