Poor call quality / distortion / noise , anyone else?

Search This thread

BlueC78

Aug 15, 2012
LG-D855 here on UK Orange (EE) network. I get quite bad noise on voice calls. I think I am clear to the other party but I can hear a bad static sound whenever they talk, it is quite irritating.

Call quality is clear on bluetooth, and and when on loud speaker, it only happens when using the normal internal speaker.

Has anyone else experienced this? Since it is not present across all speaker modes I think it is not a network issue and more likely hardware - I am wondering if I have a faulty handset?

jaythenut

Sep 6, 2012
LG-D855 here on UK Orange (EE) network. I get quite bad noise on voice calls. I think I am clear to the other party but I can hear a bad static sound whenever they talk, it is quite irritating.

Call quality is clear on bluetooth, and and when on loud speaker, it only happens when using the normal internal speaker.

Has anyone else experienced this? Since it is not present across all speaker modes I think it is not a network issue and more likely hardware - I am wondering if I have a faulty handset?

im on ee and its clear so think its the phone take it back if i was you

Reactions: BlueC78

BlueC78

Aug 15, 2012

Thanks that is useful. I wondered if it was an EE issue as I had problems with their hd voice codec on a different android handset. But I have just done a lot of testing and it definitely is only when on the normal internal speaker, which really makes me think it is a hardware fault.

Will phone CPW and get it swapped.

gsw5700

Jan 31, 2011
I'm on 3 and the call quality is excellent, I can now use the phone in places where I couldn't with my s3

Dubhar

Jun 28, 2014
Mine has had good call quality on the hd voice codec, but it drops to a lower codec really quickly during a call, not sure why. and that seams to have a little static. Cant remember if this was what calls were normally like on my old phone though.

BlueC78

Aug 15, 2012
Mine has had good call quality on the hd voice codec, but it drops to a lower codec really quickly during a call, not sure why. and that seams to have a little static. Cant remember if this was what calls were normally like on my old phone though.

Hmmmm. I tested again today and the noise is all gone: calls are crystal clear. I really don't understand what is going on, or whether it is software or hardware related.

I suppose it is best to swap it out before I have had it for too long, just in case?

mpt123

Jun 5, 2012
doha

http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/help/q-poor-call-clarity-t2806744

inzimam

Mar 29, 2008
I have the same issue but only on GSM calls. Weirdly whe. I use Skype the calls are crystal clear which therefore eliminates hardware issue unless it's the GSM attend interfering with the earpiece.

Any ideas what I should do?

inzimam

Mar 29, 2008

How do you adjust the voice codec?

BlueC78

Aug 15, 2012
How do you adjust the voice codec?

I don't think you can. The operator will alter it according to signal conditions AFAIK.

Just to complete this thread: I have swapped the phone at CPW under their 28 day guarantee and so far the new handset doesn't exhibit this problem. Will update in a few days time.

Last edited:

Jasnovidec

May 7, 2013
I have the same issue but only on GSM calls. Weirdly whe. I use Skype the calls are crystal clear which therefore eliminates hardware issue unless it's the GSM attend interfering with the earpiece.

Any ideas what I should do?

I had the same issue in Slovenia, I changed phone for new one, but the problem is still here. I find out that I hear that noise only when phone is on 2G/GSM.When I switch to 3G/WCDMA only the sound is perfect, also when I use Skype. Did you try to switch on 3G/WCDMA only?

inzimam

Mar 29, 2008
Yeh I tried switching but same issue. I exchange thr phone, no problem with the new one

manaxda

Oct 29, 2011
Hi all, I have a similar problem but the other way around, people that I call hear a lot of static, but ONLY if I am powering the phone. If I connect the phone to a USB port of my PC there is static too, but less. BTW I call using a wired headset.

Other problem, the LG stock headset muffles my voice and people can't hear me well, I had to use a Samsung headset.

Last problem, when I make calls without headset I hear in the phone the sound that you get when placing a phone next to a speaker...

Does anybody have similar problems?

Needless to say I am very disappointed.

BTW, no audio hissing when playing music via Spotify

kentiii

Jan 14, 2015
Hi all, I have a similar problem but the other way around, people that I call hear a lot of static, but ONLY if I am powering the phone. If I connect the phone to a USB port of my PC there is static too, but less. BTW I call using a wired headset.

Other problem, the LG stock headset muffles my voice and people can't hear me well, I had to use a Samsung headset.

Last problem, when I make calls without headset I hear in the phone the sound that you get when placing a phone next to a speaker...

Does anybody have similar problems?

Needless to say I am very disappointed.

BTW, no audio hissing when playing music via Spotify

I have the exact same problem. Have you found a way to solve this? The problem only occurs when I use a wired headset and plug in my charger. No charger plugged in, no noise as per the person on the other end of the call.

manaxda

Oct 29, 2011
kentii, I bought a wireless charger to charge my phone, in which case the problem doesn't appear. I also bought a bluetooth dongle for my desktop to replace the USB connection. I spend a lot of time on the phone and like using a wired headset. I use MyPhoneExplorer to dial from my PC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm on 3 and the call quality is excellent, I can now use the phone in places where I couldn't with my s3

http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/help/q-poor-call-clarity-t2806744