[APP] myPlayer - On Demand streaming [v2.300 15-Dec-2011]

Search This thread

craftyb

Mar 22, 2006
London
Yes, I am aware of that version. In some ways craftyb's app inspired me to create the myPlayer app.

This application is a more light-weight alternative (approx 50kb at the time of writing). I tried the iPlayer app on my Kaiser but it didn't like it very much. The stream quality was a little too high - so the video playback was a bit choppy.

myPlayer uses the low bit rate streams which are served via the BBC iPlayer mobile site. The 3G stream in particular is a very low bit rate. It is also QVGA friendly :)

The intention is to provide an iPlayer service for those using older Windows Mobile devices.

-Fry

Just wanted to say hi and good luck with your app. I am struggling to find time just to maintain iPlayer let alone extend it to QVGA devices so i'm glad that people now have a choice. Unfortunately myPlayer doesn't seem to work on my diamond.

I've tried them both and myPlayer is much much faster on Blackstone almost instant in fact. With iPlayer you have to wait for the file to download which takes a long time. Also iPlayer is 914kb whereas myPlayer is 52.6kb.

That's not really true - iPlayer doesn't have to download the whole file - it will play after buffering a (configurable) amount. Most of the exe's size is the embedded images (the icon file alone is 350k!) - the actual code isn't that different. I'm not too bothered about the 1mb it takes up on my Internal Storage and think it's worth it for the nice finger-friendly interface...

Anywho didn't mean to get into a comparison - genuinely wanted to say good luck and will prob add a link to this thread from mine for those looking for QVGA support.

FryWalker

Nov 21, 2007
www.skynetsoftware.com
Anywho didn't mean to get into a comparison - genuinely wanted to say good luck and will prob add a link to this thread from mine for those looking for QVGA support.

Thanks for the support :)

For anyone who isn't aware of craftyb's iPlayer app, you can find it here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=475641

It is perfect for the latest, higher resolution devices - for example the HTC Diamond or Touch HD. The iPlayer app has many more more bells and whistles than its humble myPlayer counterpart.

I can certainly recommend it if your device has the processing power and a resolution that is VGA or greater.

-Fry

cbwood

Mar 8, 2008
Reading
I downloaded v0.25a this morning and tested out the 3G capability on O2.

The stream passes to coreplayer ok but then I get continual buffering. I am not sure whether this is due to the BBC or O2. I thought the BBC were restricting 3G connections to Vodafone and 3 at the moment, so I was not expecting this to work anyhow.

One nice to have additional feature would be the addition of the search facility as per the BBC Mobile iplayer site.

dexstar

Jan 3, 2009
cant seem to get it to run on my omnia :( says "unable to start media player - please ensure the application path is correct"
but i cant seem to change when i add the TCPMP location it wont allow me too save, just throws up a error message. any ideas
I have opened up the options.ini file in myplayer and have changed to
shellexecute=false
player="\Program Files\TCPMP\player.exe"
arguments=%link%
stream=wifi

But still no joy

FryWalker

Nov 21, 2007
www.skynetsoftware.com
I have opened up the options.ini file in myplayer and have changed to
shellexecute=false
player="\Program Files\TCPMP\player.exe"
arguments=%link%
stream=wifi

I have tried changing the player path a number of times and it works. Did you try changing it through the Options menu? I haven't been able to test it on an Omnia. Could you post the error details?

Are you positive the path to the program is correct. Looks ok, but perhaps the Omnia has a slightly different path to Program Files...

You could also try setting shellexecute to true and putting a blank value in for the player path.

-Fry

Last edited:

tiffy18

Feb 6, 2009
Hi,

Unfortunately I can't get it working on my HTC diamond. Crafty's iplayer works just fine though. A pity, as I would like to have seen what this offers.

When I run it, the categories at the bottom of the page are overlapping each other, when I go to the options, again, the 2 blank boxes for setting file locations (I'm guessing) are overlapping each other and therefore I can't read what they say, nor will they allow me to enter anything or save! I can't remember quite what the error log was as i've now uninstalled the program, but was something about the player! I have core player so it should work!

I would love to try again if you can rectify these problems.

Thanks.

dexstar

Jan 3, 2009
When i start up the program this is the first error messages.
Code:
System.IO.filenotfoundexecption: An error message cannot be displatyed because an optional resource assmebly containing it cannot be found
at
System.IO._Error.WinIOError()
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor()
at System.IO.Filestream..ctor()
at
System.IO.StreamReader..ctor()
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor()
myPlayerPPC.myPlayerPPC.Load0ptions()
at
myPlayerPPC.myPlayerPPC.myPlayerPPC_load()
at
System.Windows.Forms.Form.Onload()
at
System.Windows.Forms.Form._SetVisibleNotify()
at
System.Windows.Forms.Control.Set_Visible()
at
System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run()
at
myPlayerPPC.myPlayerPPC.Main()

after i click ok the error screen disapears and i can see the feeds and click on them but they dont load.
An error
Code:
Execution Error
Unable to start media player please ensure the application path is correct
Use the options menu to select which media player is used by default

When i go to options and try to change the media player and click say i get this error

Code:
System.IO.filenotfoundexecption: An error message cannot be displatyed because an optional resource assmebly containing it cannot be found
at
System.IO._Error.WinIOError()
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor()
at System.IO.Filestream..ctor()
at
System.IO.StreamWriter.Createfile()
at
System.IO.Streamwriter..ctor()
at
myPlayerPPC.myPlayerppc.save0ptions()
at
System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick()
at
System.Windows.Forms.Menu.ProcessMnuProc()
at
System,Windows.Form.Form.WnProc()
at
System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc()
at
Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterMainLoop()
at
System.Windows.Forms.Apllication.Run()
at
myPlayerPPC.myPlayerPPc.Main()

Hope this helps

FryWalker

Nov 21, 2007
www.skynetsoftware.com
When i start up the program this is the first error message.
Code:
System.IO.filenotfoundexecption: An error message cannot be displayed...
at
System.IO.StreamReader..ctor()
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor()
myPlayerPPC.myPlayerPPC.LoadOptions()
at

This error suggests it cannot find the options.ini file. Did you install the application to your device or a storage card?

You could trying uninstalling and then reinstalling the application. You shouldn't have to manually modify the options.ini file - the settings can be changed via the options menu.

-Fry

Last edited:

dexstar

Jan 3, 2009
This error suggests it cannot find the options.ini file. Did you install the application to your device or a storage card?

You could trying uninstalling and then reinstalling the application. You shouldn't have to manually modify the options.ini file - the settings can be changed via the options menu.

-Fry

i installed it on my storage but not on a card? I will have a go and let you know

shapcott

Apr 28, 2006
I just wanted to say a BIG thank you for this app. I've been waiting a long time for someone to do this for the Kaiser and your program works like a dream straight from the off!

Superb..

FryWalker

Nov 21, 2007
www.skynetsoftware.com
Step-by-step guide to setting up a VLC media server and accessing it via myPlayer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ A video demonstration of this implementation is now available on YouTube ]

1. Install the latest version of the VideoLAN application ( VLC v1.0.1 ) on your media server

2. Download and extract the attached archive that includes an executable script to start the VLC application in telnet mode

3. Edit the vlc.ini configuration file (using notepad for instance) and update the required settings: VLC install path, telnet port and telnet password - as shown in the image below

vlc.jpg

4. Make sure that the required ports are accessible on your media server: you will need to open the telnet port and an additional streaming port (any ports can be used - the default should be port 4212 for telnet and 8080 for streaming)

If your media server is on a Local Area Network (LAN) with a private IP you will need to forward the ports selected - for more details on port forwarding please consult the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding

5. Run the vlc_telnet.exe executable script on the media server, confirm the settings and then check that the VLC application has started as a background process

6. Run myPlayer on your Windows Mobile device and select the 'Stream Settings' menu - select the 'All streams routed via server with VLC' check box and enter the IP addresses and ports as shown in the image below

settings.jpg

Visit http://whatsmyip.org/ on your media server to determine the public IP and run ipconfig from the command line to determine the private IP (for a LAN)

8. Click 'Save' to submit the new streaming configuration

9. Select an episode from myPlayer as normal

[ How it works ]

When you have applied the above settings - myPlayer will telnet on to the media server to tell it which video stream it wants to view. The VLC application then pulls the content from the Internet and transcodes the data via the streaming port selected.

This overcomes any problems that may come about due to ports being blocked on 3G/EDGE connections. It can also be useful if you have access to a media server within the UK and an international mobile connection.

Telnet script:

Attachments

• vlc_telnet.zip
    38.5 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:

martinwinlow

Oct 29, 2003
With both Coreplayer and myPlayer loded into 'device meory' and after a soft reset, it works fine on my HTC Touch HD. Nice, smooth playback.

I get the overlap of 'Categories' etc and likewise on all the menu screens but I expect a WVGA version would remedy this.
MW, UK.

FryWalker

Nov 21, 2007
www.skynetsoftware.com
*** Updated to version 0.4b ***

Change list:

- 8 Live TV channels added
- iPlayer search facility now accessible
- Layout fix for higher resolutions (VGA, WVGA, etc.)
- myPlayer app will now install to and run from Storage Card
- Some other minor tweaks

tiffy18

Feb 6, 2009
Hi there,

I've managed to get this latest version working on my HTC Diamond (Ignio). However, I am baffled as to how I set up the streaming capabilities. I've downloaded VLC and messed about with the handset and some ip addresses (though not sure which ones are correct and where they should go on both handset or pc!

Is there a simpler explanation as to how this process is achieved. It opens coreplayer, but says wrong address or can't find it. I know that I am not entering the correct info.

Cheers for any help.

FryWalker

Nov 21, 2007
www.skynetsoftware.com
Is there a simpler explanation as to how this process is achieved. It opens coreplayer, but says wrong address or can't find it. I know that I am not entering the correct info.

Cheers for any help.

You need to find out the IP address of your media server (PC) and enter that in to the "Stream Settings" dialog on myPlayer.

Probably the easiest way to determine your server IP would be by using an online service such as http://www.whatismyip.com/ or http://whatsmyip.org/

You will probably need a static IP address (ie. one that does not change) - although I haven't tested it using a dynamic IP - so it may work.

I have added some more detail to the step-by-step guide (including screen shots) to make it a bit easier to follow.

-Fry

Last edited:

tiffy18

Feb 6, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I already entered the IP address using the same links you posted. I have a dynamic address, but do have a dydns address too - will that work?

Anyhow, I entered the address onto the handset, is a password needed? What do I need to enter or do with VLC from my PC?

Cheers

FryWalker

Nov 21, 2007
www.skynetsoftware.com
Thanks for the reply. I already entered the IP address using the same links you posted. I have a dynamic address, but do have a dydns address too - will that work?

I have done a bit more testing and it seems that VLC also needs to know the private IP address that will be used if the media server is on a LAN.

The latest version (0.45b) should allow you to do this (please consult the guide above for a further explanation).

-Fry

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my player

Hi All

Fantaststic software works well on my HTC touch 2 i download vis cable fron pc and stoer in history ready to watch, only thing is it does not let you search other channels like itv , channel 5 etc is this normal or have i missed something. once great software.

Regards Mark
    I find get_iplayer the best tool for downloading iplayer content to your pc and transferring to your phone. If you install all the options it will save as mp4. You can even choose the resolution right up to HD
    smile.gif

The latest working version is on the infradead.org website - google for it.
    This program is what myplayer could have become (with subscriptions, etc), but seeing as how it also had an order to stop developing from the BBC, how come it's still going and myplayer isn't?

It was going for several years in its original form, playing a cat and mouse game with the beeb. Every so often the beeb would change the iphone authentication procedure and every time the developer would "mend" the program again! But last year the developer was threatened by the beeb, he stopped mending it, and the broken program lapsed.

Then, from the ashes, another dev took it up, not using the iPhone streams any more but with flv to mp4 conversion, making it even more useful. I suppose it's down to just how threatened the dev feels and whether someone else is willing to take the risk for a while. It warms my heart ...
    *** Updated to version 2.100 ***

Change list:

- Digital TV channels updated
    - Various other minor bug fixes
    *** Updated to version 2.300 ***

Change list:

- Fixed DTV stream connection
    - Player preference issue resolved