[Q] Phone started acting up after app install, need help

Search This thread

Fraught

Jan 6, 2014
Okay, so. I have an HTC One M8, rooted, S-On, TWRP, whatever else. It was running just fine until yesterday or so, when I wanted to switch out an icon pack, but wanted to keep my stock launcher, so I found Unicon on the App Store, and downloaded it (along with the Minimal Hero/Hera Icon Pack, or whatever it was called). As soon as I installed it, I started having problems with my phone restarting randomly, and I disabled the Icon Pack in Unicon, and got rid of Unicon (disabling it in Xposed Installer and then uninstalling the app).

That didn't solve my problems, though. I managed to somehow keep the phone on after numerous restarts, but every time my phone was turned off, it went into the same constant restart cycle (where it restarts about a minute after it's booted up). I tried searching for ways to remedy the problem, ending up in the TWRP recovery, where I tried wiping the cache and the Dalvik cache, which didn't help. I also uninstalled Xposed Framework and before that, tried disabling all the Xposed modules, nothing helped.

As things stand now, I did a wipe on all the categories in TWRP (including cache, Dalvik cache, internal storage, system and data) and when I rebooted from recovery, my phone was stuck with the HTC boot logo. Now I'm just letting it sit on my bed, showing the boot logo, waiting for it to drain.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I did a factory reset (perhaps stupidly) and now, when I reboot it, it says "No OS is installed!". Since it's not showing up on my computer while in recovery, how should I proceed to flash the stock ROM?

Last edited:

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
when you wiped the system partition, you wiped the ROM.

You should put a stock ROM on your phone and flash it.

Follow one of the returning to stock guides.

Fraught

Jan 6, 2014
when you wiped the system partition, you wiped the ROM.

You should put a stock ROM on your phone and flash it.

Follow one of the returning to stock guides.
Excuse my stupidity, but could you point me towards one of those? I was looking for that, but didn't really find anything helpful.

Also, I know how to flash a ROM in its simplest form, but my phone's not booting and I don't know how to get a ROM file onto the phone itself, because it doesn't show up in the computer when in recovery. How do I flash ROMs from the computer or whatever?

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
Excuse my stupidity, but could you point me towards one of those? I was looking for that, but didn't really find anything helpful.

Also, I know how to flash a ROM in its simplest form, but my phone's not booting and I don't know how to get a ROM file onto the phone itself, because it doesn't show up in the computer when in recovery. How do I flash ROMs from the computer or whatever?

I'm sure the search tools on this forum work just as well for you as they do me. Or you could probably start at a sticky thread.

You could also search for "adb sideload" and "adb push".

Fraught

Jan 6, 2014
I'm sure the search tools on this forum work just as well for you as they do me. Or you could probably start at a sticky thread.

You could also search for "adb sideload" and "adb push".
I did, and they told me USB debugging must be turned On, which I can't do, since I can't boot the phone.

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
I did, and they told me USB debugging must be turned On, which I can't do, since I can't boot the phone.

I might have missed this but did you do a recovery? Within TWRP you have the option of storing it on internal storage, or the sd card. If you did the sd card way, there might be hope. Just hold down power and volume up and when the screen goes dark, hold power down to get into recovery, then restore the backup. If it was on internal storage, its probably gone, and if you didnt make one, well..wouldnt an RUU fix that?

Also you did more then a plain factory reset...that would still keep the os etc installed..you wiped that sucker completely clean :p

Fraught

Jan 6, 2014
I might have missed this but did you do a recovery? Within TWRP you have the option of storing it on internal storage, or the sd card. If you did the sd card way, there might be hope. Just hold down power and volume up and when the screen goes dark, hold power down to get into recovery, then restore the backup. If it was on internal storage, its probably gone, and if you didnt make one, well..wouldnt an RUU fix that?

Also you did more then a plain factory reset...that would still keep the os etc installed..you wiped that sucker completely clean :p
Yeah, I know. I was idiotic. I'm just kind of a newb to the whole scene, and I panicked when my phone started acting up. It was stupid to wipe system too.

And yeah, I have an SD card and my computer has a reader for it. I can access my SD card, but how do I install something on my SD card from recovery? As far as I can see, it only lets me install form internal storage.

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Yeah, I know. I was idiotic. I'm just kind of a newb to the whole scene, and I panicked when my phone started acting up. It was stupid to wipe system too.

And yeah, I have an SD card and my computer has a reader for it. I can access my SD card, but how do I install something on my SD card from recovery? As far as I can see, it only lets me install form internal storage.

Take the SD card out and put it onto your computer, download a ROM and place it on SD Card. Insert card back into phone, boot into recovery and change location path to external SD card. There is an option for that.

Location where ROM is... of course.

Fraught

Jan 6, 2014
Take the SD card out and put it onto your computer, download a ROM and place it on SD Card. Insert card back into phone, boot into recovery and change location path to external SD card. There is an option for that.

Location where ROM is... of course.
There is, actually, no option for that. I got the ROM adb pushed to my phone and got it flashed, though, so it's all good now (despite the fact that I idiotically made myself lose all my internal storage data).

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Tower1972

Mar 13, 2008
Somewhere in Wisconsin
There is, actually, no option for that. I got the ROM adb pushed to my phone and got it flashed, though, so it's all good now (despite the fact that I idiotically made myself lose all my internal storage data).

within twrp...where it says internal storage after you tap backup,.. tap those words Internal Storage, it will bring up 3 options..Internal Storage..MicroSD..or OTG I believe..I know mine does..I had 2.7.1.0 and which ever was below it allow that option. Well just for future reference.. And btw...dont cut yourself down..We all make mistakes...thats why we come here..to learn and maybe help someone else :D

Reactions: berndblb

Fraught

Jan 6, 2014
within twrp...where it says internal storage after you tap backup,.. tap those words Internal Storage, it will bring up 3 options..Internal Storage..MicroSD..or OTG I believe..I know mine does..I had 2.7.1.0 and which ever was below it allow that option. Well just for future reference.. And btw...dont cut yourself down..We all make mistakes...thats why we come here..to learn and maybe help someone else :D
I know. I swear, I tried, didn't seem to work. Maybe something else's amiss elsewhere. In any case, I got it adb pushed to the internal storage, so it's all alright, phone's fine now. I'll look into the microSD thing, but I'm still glad I learned a bit more about Android in the process of recovering my device (because it's a path where most is yet untrodden for me).

And yeah, being on xda as such a newbie is sort of daunting, especially as I'm pretty impatient with people who don't understand as well something that I do, but I always hope for at least one paragon who helps, and helps with patience and friendliness (which I did get, so thank god).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.