ALL Galaxy Tab 8.9 Questions Go Here

Search This thread

Marshall__Law

Jun 27, 2015
Hey,

I have the GT-P7300 with basebandversion P7300XXKJ6. I'm currently on Android Version 3.2 and want to upgrade it to 5.1.1. There is this tutorial: (click) but it doesnt work for me. Probably because i'm doing something wrong. I have the Custom recovery Odin3 v3.1 installed. If i try to Flash it, it says "installing" but then it boots into normal Android 3.1. Do i have to install a newer Custom recovery?

Please help! ;)

Hey,

I have the GT-P7300 with basebandversion P7300XXKJ6. I'm currently on Android Version 3.2 and want to upgrade it to 5.1.1. There is this tutorial: (click) but it doesnt work for me. Probably because i'm doing something wrong. I have the Custom recovery Odin3 v3.1 installed. If i try to Flash it, it says "installing" but then it boots into normal Android 3.1. Do i have to install a newer Custom recovery?

Please help! ;)

1. flash the Custom recovery TWRP http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2602188 with Odin
2. now you can install the Lollipop Rom

jinxhyped

Mar 11, 2010
There doesn't seem to be any active development chat on the sgh-i957 thread... Will roms/kernels here apply while just losing my 3g drivers, or am I looking at an instant brick?

I'm looking for anything snappier than stock 4.0.4. Since the general thread is shared by both devices, this is the only place I can ask. Thanks!

STRN365

Aug 10, 2015
i957 no boot no backup no working rom

Hey guys the topic says it all i was given this i957 after a friend tried to update the rom he deleted all of the backups and info on the tablet and the .zip that is on the sd card doesnt want to install it has clockworkmod recovery and i can boot into that just fine but cant install any more roms because i cant access the sdcard any help would be appreciated i have been stuck all day on this

G420PR

Oct 2, 2015
Need Help - Samsung Tab 8.9

Hi,

Is it possible to install the android 5.0 on the Samsung Tab 8.9 i957 LTE. Right now I have version 4.0.4. I need a step by step or links that can help me. I know I have to root the device, install a custom rom and then install 5.0. The problem is that the root file I download it cant be installed in recovery mode, it gives me an error. Also, I'm not sure which custom roms are compatible with my device.

So if someone can point me to the right direction, or give me a step by step on how to and the correct files to download it will be much appreciated.

G420PR

Last edited:

jay2the1

Sep 16, 2012
Hey guys, my standby/power button has been slowly breaking, becoming more and more unresponsive, what would be my options for waking the device without using the power button?

My theory is that this would preserve the power button for shut downs/reboots ect. when it's needed. I'm thinking perhaps I'm able to use a volume button as the power button, both those are working fine?

OzmaFIN

Jun 1, 2012
Tampere
Battery

Hello,

I've installed TWRP2710 and aosp-5.1.1-p5wifi-20150513. Ofcourse I did something wrong and I installed the ROM when battery wasn't full. So now the OS and TWRP shows different precentages for battery and it shuts down. I've red from forum, that I must drain and charge the battery at TWRP. So I drained it (display 100%) and now charging (display 10%). I'd like to see what is the current charge rate / battery level.

I tried in TWRP terminal:
- dumpsys (not found)
- tried to find some kind of path for "cat" command to display the status (ie. cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/batt_attr_text)
- find | grep batt (nothing)
- find | grep current (nothing)
- find | grep char (nothing)

Any ideas?

Dec 29, 2016
there is no moisture problem,couse there is another Display! The Brightnes is a bit Lower than 10.1 it´s Time to develop a litle bit:)
Anyone have a root method for the SGH i957 att lte version running 4.0.4 ICS? I have been looking everywhere for a solution. There are tutorials on the 7300 7310 7320 and 7320t but nothing on the i957. From what I have read this requires a different rooting process than the 7300 series. I believe the 7320 and 7320t are late versions but the kernels and methods will brick this one. Am I right? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am new here to XDA. I have leaned a ton in the short time I have been here thanks to forums, threads, and responses from members of the community. What a huge resource of help full people and information! Thank you!

meg56ph

Sep 22, 2009
Dear Friends,

I have a bandwidth/imei problem on my Samsung Galaxy Tab P7320 after rooting and installing custom rom. even I installed original stock rom still the bandwidth is unknown... Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

drewoj

Feb 1, 2013
I'm now a deer in the headlights

Hopefully someone will see this and provide some guidance to this old geezer.
Since my last post here, I upgraded further to cm 4.3.1 and twrp recovery. Things were ok for a good while, but just recently the old tab 8.9 gt-p7310 wifi started having problems. I'm not looking to correct the problems. I just want to restore back to samsung stock ICS. I've done some research, but refer to the title of this post. LOL!
I have what I believe is a full nandroid backup done with clockworkmod of the ICS that samsung updated me to before they abandoned the tab 8.9. I see that I can't restore that with twrp, so I guess I'd have to switch back to clockworkmod recovery to restore it. correct? (if so, how do I do that, again, see the post title) LOL! or, can I download from interweb, a stock ICS and install that? Seems the download links for stock ICS are sketchy, avast AV detects a threat. I do have, and have used odin, and I can figure out how to use it again.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Drew

drewoj

Feb 1, 2013
Crap! I'm still a deer in the headlights

I really really thought I was on the right track, but after 3 hrs. I'm giving up for tonight. I odined ClockworkMod_Recovery_v5.5.0.4 back to the old girl, no problem. then I put my old backup created with same version in (from my Win7 pc) Computer\GT-P7310\Internal storage\clockworkmod\backup I tried putting the date named folder there, and then just the files there. when I ran clockwork restore it doesn't find any backups. then I saw in the internet that it might be looking for the backup under some \data path, so I put the backup folder there, still it doesn't find the backup. so, as a last resort I ran a ClockworkMod backup, figuring then I could see where it puts the backup, and I could put my old backup there. the backup indicated it ran fine, but of course I don't see anything new on the tab. which makes me think it's in some other part of the memory, which to this day I still don't understand. sd card? internal storage? this device doesn't have an sd card, at least not a removable one, so where is ClockworkMod putting and looking for backups? how to I access that area of the memory? 4 yrs ago i must have known this b/c I copied that backup to my pc. so confused!!!

drewoj

Feb 1, 2013
i can't believe it took my this long to find my last post. since this site is still here, it must be pretty popular, but I really don't see how with such a difficult and mysterious way to find your last post and check for replies. whatever. so I guess my tab is no longer rooted like it obviously once was. I'll either figure it out or take my hatchet to it and buy a new one. later people!

drewoj

Feb 1, 2013
Thanks for responding. I haven't given up yet. No hurry. Right, i figured as much. It's not rooted right now. looking in my 'brickthetablet' folder on my pc i have a few different root .zip files. I must have used one of them to root it when it was still stock ICS. I tried running those with cwm recovery but they don't seem to work, although CWM does say it ran them. I guess i need a root zip file for my specific cyanogenmod version? (there's that deer in the headlights again)

drewoj

Feb 1, 2013
The deer has been run over by several trucks, driven by yours truely. I've bricked it. It's actually quite a relief. What I've learned... it was fun learning how this crap works, I only did it to spite samsung for abandoning the tab 8.9. updating to OS versions beyond what a device was designed for is probably a bad idea. if you're very careful. and you do this meaningless **** every day, you might be able to pull off what I just failed at. Last note.. no big deal, this tab is like 5 yrs old, it wasn't even new/current when I over paid for it. I had to buy I refurb, b/c it was discontinued. time for a new one, I'll be sharpening up the hatchet soon to put this thing out of my misery.

Natepir

May 3, 2017
Is this the right place to ask for help with my samsung galaxy tab s2 8"? I'm confused and new to this site!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Also new to Tapatalk app. My tab updated to Android 7.0 last night and now the Samsung kindle app won't function. What forum should I go to?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Until we Get a Forum for the 8.9 can you use this Thread
    Thanks Guys
    A :)
    what android version is on your 8.9? Reviews say it comes with 3.2 preloaded but mine has 3.1 and when i check for updates it says there are none.

It should be 3.1 .. exactly like Tab 10.1
    I flash the KI1 rom for my Orange branded rom galaxy tab 8.9, and I can rooted her and I have no yellow triangle like GS2.

So I think you can flash !

And I keep my IMEI. ;)

Yes it is a no wipe rom.
    there is no moisture problem,couse there is another Display! The Brightnes is a bit Lower than 10.1 it´s Time to develop a litle bit:)
    As requested...

Ok, I will say what I did and how but please note there's no turning back if you make a mistake as there is no American ODIN image (as of today on samfirmware.com) to return the tablet to its original state. That said, I'm not responsible for damages of any kind on your Galaxy Tab 8.9.

Root Instructions: HERE (also look at the second post for manual entry to the default Samsung Recovery)

- After rooting, I acquired Titanium Backup on the Market to delete Samsung bloat. There's lots of tutorials for Titanium Backup on the net, but be careful when deleting stuff, you've been warned. If you don't know what is X or Y program, google it or don't touch it. If you delete something you don't have an idea what it is, you run the risk of soft-bricking your Tab, once more, you've been warned.

- For accelerating shutdown/boot time a little, I used Root Explorer (to backup/copy or delete stuff tap on Mount R/W on the upper side of the app AND PLEASE BACKUP THE FILES/FOLDERS I'M ABOUT TO MENTION in case you want the boot/shutdown animations and tunes back). On /etc folder you see a music file named 1_Power_on.ogg and that's the tune you hear while the phone's booting.

Then on /system/media you see two files named bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg and yes those are logically the two files responsible for the spacey boot animation. On /system/media/video you see a shutdown folder and logically this is related to the shutdown animation. Before deleting files, I backed up said files (just tapped Copy and pasted them in another location) in case I wanted to restore them later on by putting them where they belong.