Why aren't phone lenses more popular?

Search This thread

GamerXavier

Dec 9, 2013
I have noticed Samsung came out with a camera phone in a more literal sense. But, I'm curious as to why the custom lenses are not a more popular item? Being able to change out the lens on my phone as I need to would add a huge level of customization and not too mention make the companies more money. Especially for well made premium lenses.

We've all seen the clips and attachments on Amazon or other websites. But, none of them are really thought out well. The clip moves around easily. The cases are ugly and useless for anyone who wants a protective case.
A lot of the lenses have defects even if they are small. Sure these items are cheap. But, that is my point. I spent some time looking and always got sent back to these ones. There's no higher end models nothing. I'd assume that would be because this idea is perceived as gimmicky. But, it's really not. Give me the ability to take a small plastic ring off my phone around the camera and attach my own custom lenses. You could charge oodles for higher tier lenses too.

Would reduce all the stuff I have to carry around with me everywhere for my camera.

Any thoughts as to why they don't support or carry their own custom lenses? The camera being an important feature for many of us on our phones. An improvement/addition like this I cannot see anything but perks of.

Note10.1Dude

Dec 17, 2013
California
Nexus 6
Google Pixel 3
Either you have to carry your phone in a case with the lens attached, or take it out of your pocket and put on a lens each time you want to use it. Much easier to use a zoom-enabled digital camera, and the quality of photos is between better and much better. I always wondered why are they even produced. Yeah, I use my phone camera once in a while, but if I care enough to take a photo, I have a Canon rebel.