[Nook HD] CM10/CM10.1 General Discussion

Search This thread

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
I have no idea what happened to your superuser.

I'm going to try flashing the 30 Dec build and see if it restores superuser.

And there is no need to change partition sizes since /data and /sdcard share the same space.

The 8GB card only has 847MB for "internal" storage. The rest (5.62GB) is allocated as sdcard.
She's running out of internal space.

Currently have 99MB free on internal, and 2.85GB free on sdcard.

You should be able to use the CWM on the SD to backup your SD install and then restore it to the new card once the installer partitions it.

Not real clear on how CWM backups work. (can you point me to a good primer?)
Do they compress? Will it put the backup files on eMMC?
I don't think they will fit on the card, and even if they do, how do I get the backup files form the old card to the new card?

I've not had any luck with adb and Windows 8. Would they be in a location readable via USB?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I'm going to try flashing the 30 Dec build and see if it restores superuser.

The 8GB card only has 847MB for "internal" storage. The rest (5.62GB) is allocated as sdcard.
She's running out of internal space.

Currently have 99MB free on internal, and 2.85GB free on sdcard.

Not real clear on how CWM backups work. (can you point me to a good primer?)
Do they compress? Will it put the backup files on eMMC?
I don't think they will fit on the card, and even if they do, how do I get the backup files form the old card to the new card?

I've not had any luck with adb and Windows 8. Would they be in a location readable via USB?
The space issue is true of the old SD scheme, but the new scheme that both bokbokan and verygreen use on CM10.2 is just like the emmc install, /data and /sdcard share the same free space. Sdcard is emulated out of /data.

CWM backups are compressed when they are saved. And you can choose where you want them stored. I would choose internal so it is there when you want to restore to the new SD.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
The space issue is true of the old SD scheme, but the new scheme that both bokbokan and verygreen use on CM10.2 is just like the emmc install, /data and /sdcard share the same free space. Sdcard is emulated out of /data.

But that's what I currently have installed.

So you're saying do a CWM backup, then install the latest 10.1 on the new card, then restore the backup?

Or do I need to move to 10.2 or 11 for the new layout?
10.1 has been great. I'd hate to move to something that is less stable or has compatibility issues.
I was wanting to keep what worked, just give her more room for apps (hence the post in the 10.1 thread).

If I need to change something else please point me to the right thread for the correct files.

For example, can I use the CM11 SD card install image and then flash 10.1 using that to get the larger, shared /data

(Probably a subject for another thread, but if I wanted to move to CM11, would the CWM backup be usable to restore the apps/data?)

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
But that's what I currently have installed.

So you're saying do a CWM backup, then install the latest 10.1 on the new card, then restore the backup?

Or do I need to move to 10.2 or 11 for the new layout?
10.1 has been great. I'd hate to move to something that is less stable or has compatibility issues.
I was wanting to keep what worked, just give her more room for apps (hence the post in the 10.1 thread).

If I need to change something else please point me to the right thread for the correct files.

For example, can I use the CM11 SD card install image and then flash 10.1 using that to get the larger, shared /data

(Probably a subject for another thread, but if I wanted to move to CM11, would the CWM backup be usable to restore the apps/data?)
Based on the date of your CM10.1 hummingbird ROM you are running bokbokan's version of his SD install. If you want to stay with an SD install for hummingbird you must stick with bokbokan. He has CM10.1, CM10.2 and CM11 all available for SD and hummingbird. But they are all incompatible with each other and must be on their own burned SD. CM10.1 uses the old scheme with the separate /data and /sdcard. CM10.2 uses the new emulated /sdcard that shares /data. CM11 uses that same scheme but requires a different (newer) version of CWM.

So if you want to go to a newer larger SD you must start over burning. And you say you want to stay with CM10.1. So I recommend backing up your existing install with CWM to internal memory. Then burn bokbokan's CM10.1 image and boot with it once without installing the ROM. That creates the partition structure. I am not positive but I think bokbokan set it up to have a larger /data on larger SDs. If not, repartition per my instructions below. If the partition structure is what you want just restore your backup to the new SD and you will be good to go.

If you need to repartition get partitioning software free on the web (Mini-Tool or EaseUs) and use that to change the SD before restoring the backup. Delete partition 4 and 5 and expand partition 3. Then recreate partition 4 as extended and partition 5 as fat 32 logical. Then restore your backup with CWM.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
Based on the date of your CM10.1 hummingbird ROM you are running bokbokan's version of his SD install. If you want to stay with an SD install for hummingbird you must stick with bokbokan. He has CM10.1, CM10.2 and CM11 all available for SD and hummingbird. But they are all incompatible with each other and must be on their own burned SD.

Correct. I don't know of any other SDcard installs for CM10.1.

So there's no easy way to migrate 10.1 to the new scheme.
With the merge, I don't think the 8GB card would have been an issue for her.

As of last night I setup CM11 on the new card, and restored apps+data, and system data using TB.
(I think I may need to reinstall gapps to be sure I have all the correct versions, time will tell).
It appears to have worked, though I ran into another issue (see the CM11 thread)

I still have the original card as well as full images from the cards so I can go back to various stages.

I can always manually change the partitions (thanks for that info) and restore the CM10.1 backup (again, thanks for the CWM info)

Not sure what I want to do with my own tablet though. Looks like 10.1 is done, and I can't use my BT keyboard with it.
So if I have to move to get BT working, do I go to CM10.2 or jump to CM11.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Correct. I don't know of any other SDcard installs for CM10.1.

So there's no easy way to migrate 10.1 to the new scheme.
With the merge, I don't think the 8GB card would have been an issue for her.

As of last night I setup CM11 on the new card, and restored apps+data, and system data using TB.
(I think I may need to reinstall gapps to be sure I have all the correct versions, time will tell).
It appears to have worked, though I ran into another issue (see the CM11 thread)

I still have the original card as well as full images from the cards so I can go back to various stages.

I can always manually change the partitions (thanks for that info) and restore the CM10.1 backup (again, thanks for the CWM info)

Not sure what I want to do with my own tablet though. Looks like 10.1 is done, and I can't use my BT keyboard with it.
So if I have to move to get BT working, do I go to CM10.2 or jump to CM11.
You are right, the only CM10.1 for the hummingbird is by bokbokan and it uses the old scheme. Verygreen has an SD version of CM10.1 that uses the new scheme but it is for ovation only.

And I can think of no easy way to run bokbokan's SD CM10.1 for hummingbird on the new scheme. You would need to move up to CM10.2/CM11.

I don't know why you stick with the SD install. I run CM10.1.3 stable on emmc and love it on both my HD+ and HD.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app

ST Dog

Jun 22, 2013
Google Pixel 7a
I don't know why you stick with the SD install. I run CM10.1.3 stable on emmc and love it on both my HD+ and HD.

I like being able to make an image of the card and have a complete backup.
I like that if my daughter breaks her tablet, I can put her card (or one from backup) in anbother device and it's all there.

We had tablets with custom ROMs on internal storage before and when one died it was too much work to restore and too much was lost in the process. I never even sent the one with lots of bad pixels back under warranty because of the hassle.

I can play around with different OS tweaks and such, and always get back to the original state with just a simple rewrite of the SD card.

The SD installs were a big factor in my going with the Nook v/s other tablets.

And if my wife (the odd ball in the family) has trouble with the stock setup, I can jump to that easily to test things, then factory restore my tablet and return to my SD card.

If I ever get time I hope to set up a cross compiler and try OS devel work (like bokbokan and verygreen do). Again, don't have to worry about as much going wrong when it's all on the SD card.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tips:
    • To hide status/nav bars, enable expanded desktop under system->power menu. Press power button and select expanded desktop to hide/unhide.
    • In tablet ui mode, enable stretch screens under launcher->homescreen to show all homescreen icons.

Please post questions/problems here for sdcard install of CM10/10.1

For CM10/CM10.1 Development see this thread.
    Have the CM10 up and running on my kid's nook HD and cm on a 4gb card is better than stock. My 7 year old daughter likes it better than the stock nook.

Now is it possible to copy what I have to a 32gb card?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD using xda app-developers app

In Windows

use W32DiskImager, copy the whole 4gig SD card to a file say CM10-4gig.img by clicking READ instead of WRITE.
    insert new SD card and using W32DiskImager again WRITE the same CM10-4gig.img to the SD card.
    Resize the last partition (Partition 5) to occupy the larger size.

In Linux

dd if=/dev/sdx of=/tmp/CM10-4gig.img bs=4000000
    dd if=/tmp/CM10-4gig.img of=/dev/sdx bs=4000000
    fdisk /dev/sdx
    d
    n
    e
    <enter>
    <enter>
    n
    l
    <enter>
    <enter>
    t
    c
    w
    mkfs.vfat /dev/sdx

where /dev/sdx is your sdcard
    I just installed CM 10.1 as well and had this problem this morning. When I tried to unlock it, it showed the screen as unlocked then flashed and back to the lock screen. Instead of rebooting, I swiped down the quick settings and went to the settings screen. It flashed again and back to lock, but I went to settings again and it worked (not flashing anymore). Then I was able to swipe to unlock normally. I'm not sure if this would work every time, but it's worth a try.

I had the similar problem due to the cover. Please see page 22 in this thread.
    20130128 - UI very nice, but if I doesn't mark 'stretch icons to the screen' - left and right row of icons decepired. I chose 7x7 rows and columns , but I have 8x5.
    Still didn't understand, why AndrAssist utility show 1368x900 screen size.

відправлено з Nook HD через Тапатак

Since I haven't ported Trebuchet yet for 'forced-tablet ui', some issues like this one will be expected. AOSP code for phone/tablet ui determination is based on density/screen size and storing to some variables whether there is a navbar, statbar, etc but not even a single variable keep tracks of the current ui type. Thats is why in the new mode, apps doing their own computation based on above sizes will assume the device is in 'phone ui'. Try changing ro.sf.lcd_density to 190 or less (this will make everything smaller since an inch now will only need 190 pixels instead of 240) to correct this. After this you can already uncheck 'stretch screens' and it will display all your homescreen icons.

(landscape) Full-screen 1440x900 - NavBar 72x900 = Workspace 1368x900
    Nook will only boot to B&N and will stopped at 99% until I popped out sdcard to finish boot into B&N.
    Then I have to reboot to get to Cyanoboot and then CM10. Is there a fix for this? Many thanks.
    The problem is that stock will only tolerate an SD with 3 partitions on it. The CM10 SD has 5. So the stock gets stuck at 99% until you take out the SD. You can insert the SD later after it gets past 99%. Just don't format it if it asks.

As far as the device starting to boot to stock instead of CM10, you can tell if the cyanoboot logo does not show right away. It sometimes does that from a cold boot. I hold the power key to hard power off before stock shows up and try again.

To fix not having to turn off stock to get back to CM10, you can add an app to help you. But your stock must be rooted to make the app work. Get Quick Boot on the Play Store and it will reboot for you without turning off. And since is not a cold boot, it almost always boots to CM10.

Sent from my HD+ running CM10 on SD with XDA Premium