Why is there so much hate towards the Shield ?

Search This thread

dia_naji

Aug 29, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
Why is there so much hate towards the Nvidia Shield ? I went to gamestop and see if they have any accessories and the rep replied, why would want to buy accessories ? The Shield is a piece of crap. It's not just the rep but other people have said the same thing. I bought my Shield two days ago and love it.

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
Why is there so much hate towards the Nvidia Shield ? I went to gamestop and see if they have any accessories and the rep replied, why would want to buy accessories ? The Shield is a piece of crap. It's not just the rep but other people have said the same thing. I bought my Shield two days ago and love it.

It does have issue. Wait till the flex cables starts getting bad in another few months. The you can only use it while connected to HDMI. The flex cable is part of the LCD. So when the parts do become available they will be pricey.

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas

Gnurou

Aug 9, 2010
Tokyo
Why so much hate towards the iPhone when it first got out? Because it is a new, largely misunderstood product and those who call it crap typically never touched it.

The relevant thing about the SHIELD is that the vast majority of its owners seem to love it. The opinion of uninformed people doesn't matter.

Think also that Gamestop might not be very happy at the idea of a device for which you cannot come and buy games at their stores. ;)

You might be one of the lucky ones. Seems to be split about 30% bad and 70% ok.
How do you come with that estimate?

If you have a problem with the flexi-cable, this is clearly a hardware defect and you should have your unit RMA'd. The feedback on NVIDIA's service has been very good so far.

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
Why so much hate towards the iPhone when it first got out? Because it is a new, largely misunderstood product and those who call it crap typically never touched it.

The relevant thing about the SHIELD is that the vast majority of its owners seem to love it. The opinion of uninformed people doesn't matter.

Think also that Gamestop might not be very happy at the idea of a device for which you cannot come and buy games at their stores. ;)

How do you come with that estimate?

If you have a problem with the flexi-cable, this is clearly a hardware defect and you should have your unit RMA'd. The feedback on NVIDIA's service has been very good so far.

Did you not even read any of the post I quoted? Based on the ones saying they have issue and the ones saying they do not it is about the split that I said it was. Also if you had read any of the post you would have seen that I bought the unit on Ebay under the impression it had a power problem which would be an easy fix. it however is not a power problem but a flex cable issue.

So since I bought used on ebay for 40 bucks, sending it in for repair or RMA is not an option. I will just wait till parts become available. Or throw it away and count a 40 dollar lose. No big deal for me unlike those who did spend 200+ on it.

Gnurou

Aug 9, 2010
Tokyo
Did you not even read any of the post I quoted? Based on the ones saying they have issue and the ones saying they do not it is about the split that I said it was. Also if you had read any of the post you would have seen that I bought the unit on Ebay under the impression it had a power problem which would be an easy fix. it however is not a power problem but a flex cable issue.

So since I bought used on ebay for 40 bucks, sending it in for repair or RMA is not an option. I will just wait till parts become available. Or throw it away and count a 40 dollar lose. No big deal for me unlike those who did spend 200+ on it.

Well I have read the posts and my answer was not specifically targeted at you, but first and foremost to the people who spent 200+ on it and specifically to the OP who was worried his unit could stop working after a few months.

It is possible that your unit is a pre-production one that was handed to developers. These are known to be of lesser build quality and had flexi-cable issues. The production units I own since launch do not show this issue so far and I am a quite heavy user.

Just wanted to point out that your estimate of failing units is anything but reliable, so hopefully people won't start making ideas based on it.

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
What's about those from Europe who get the white screen of death and try to RMA it, will Nvidia accept and repair it on warrenty?

suprgamr232

Dec 25, 2010
I'd also have to go with the whole "The only people who hate on it are the ones who have never touched it" reason. I bought my Shield to replace my PSP and my HP Touchpad as an emulation/Android gaming device ~couple months ago and I've yet to regret the purchase. The main reason I didn't buy it when it was announced was because I thought the price was a bit too steep, but now that it's (still) $200 I think it's definitely worth it.

Solarenemy68

Jul 28, 2009
Dallas
What's about those from Europe who get the white screen of death and try to RMA it, will Nvidia accept and repair it on warrenty?

As long as you have proof of purchase from the US or Canada then they must honor the warranty regardless of where you live. What they will do is stick you with shipping cost most likely both ways.

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
I unfortunately do not.
I bought it off a german seller, but maybe I can ask there.