su
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system

If no errors, check if the /system is mounted as R/W

Code:
mount | grep system

You should see this output (hopefully)

Code:
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system /system ext4 [B][COLOR="Red"]rw[/COLOR][/B],seclabel,relatime,data=ordered 0 0

If all goes well, you can do as @thewraith420 suggested and use dd commands to push recovery from adb. But setup the dd commands requirements first.

Reactions: jamminjon82

thewraith420

Sep 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6
@ATTACK Just thinking.... If the commands posted above are successful couldn't /data be remounted in the same way then install flashify and use it to install a recovery.

Also wondering about why remounting system is nessasary to dd the recovery.. Sorry just thinking out loud. I'm always looking for new tips n tricks to add to my arsenal

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
@ATTACK Just thinking.... If the commands posted above are successful couldn't /data be remounted in the same way then install flashify and use it to install a recovery.

Also wondering about why remounting system is nessasary to dd the recovery.. Sorry just thinking out loud. I'm always looking for new tips n tricks to add to my arsenal

I believe his system is stuck in read only. Which is why mfastboot, RSD lite and adb are not working.

Last edited:

jamminjon82

Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Well guys it's over,woke up this morning and it was dead(which is strange because it was charging last time I checked) . Not even responsive to fastboot cable and button combinations

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
I understood that system is in read only but not why that would stop dd from writing recovery

Correct me if i'm wrong but when pushing recovery doesn't /system need to be mounted as r/w.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Well guys it's over,woke up this morning and it was dead(which is strange because it was charging last time I checked) . Not even responsive to fastboot cable and button combinations

Annnddd...That sucks.:(

Reactions: jamminjon82

thewraith420

Sep 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6

Hmm.. I wonder if this was a hardware problem the whole time... I thought it was odd it all started out of just normal use right?

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Correct me if i'm wrong but when pushing recovery doesn't /system need to be mounted as r/w.

Ahh.. Maybe.. I thought dd was different

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
Hmm.. I wonder if this was a hardware problem the whole time... I thought it was odd it all started out of just normal use right?

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

The first part of my post was to see if his system would mount as r/w, if it didn't, it wouldn't matter if recovery was installed because he wouldn't be able to flash any ROMs or factory reset as /system not writable. If it did mount to r/w, then he would be able too and dd'ing recovery would be a option.

EDIT:
You are correct /system does not need to be r/w to dd recovery.

For anyone passing through, here are the commands
Code:
adb shell
Code:
su
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/<recovery name>.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Last edited:

jamminjon82

Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester

Yeah it was playing music at the time it started fcing

Coolbilal

Aug 21, 2014
I just wanted to see if your phone was properly connected to your PC. Which it seems to be.
Ummm... I'm kinda stumped. Your phone is connected, mfastboot works, no errors and nothing writes.:confused::confused:

You could try to erase the partitions and then re-flash them.

Code:
mfastboot erase boot
mfastboot erase system
mfastboot erase data
mfastboot erase cache

Then

Code:
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot flash system system.img
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot reboot

ok i m going to try it if it works i will be very thankful

Reactions: ATTACK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's correct, also have redownloaded numerous times to verify that it didn't happen to be corrupt

Try and flash recovery with mfastboot but boot straight into recovery, then try and flash CM11 nightly.

Type
    Code:
    mfastboot flash recovery <recovery name>.img
    Then
    Code:
    mfastboot reboot
    as soon as you hit enter, press & hold volume up (+) which will take you into recovery.
    Darn...:( That's all I have for now. I'll keep looking around and post here if I find something.

Thanks again for trying, I really do appreciate it. I usually pride myself on being able to do just about anything with my phones, but I'm beginning to think I've been bested by this thing lol.
    just because i havent seen it suggested yet.... recovery images can alternativly be flashed to the boot partition... its not useually nessasary but maybe in this case worth a shot..

mfastboot flash boot recovery.img
    mfastboot reboot

if it took... you'll startup into whatever recovery you flashed

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

just had another thought on a possibility.... maybe... i've read about ppl using the DD command before to force flash partitions on the phone. i've even used it to attempt to flash a custom recovery on my RAZR M before i got the bootloader unlocked(worked but wouldnt boot the recovery and failed bootloader security checks) i ended flashing the official one back. i'll have to lookup the actual command lines i used though...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49114506

Some details on recovery flashing via DD
    equrupu7.jpg
    still takes me back to this after following those commands

Did you run CMD with administrator rights?
    Just did and no luck

Have you tried to mfastboot the images separately?
    Code:
    mfastboot flash...
    Code:
    modem NON-HLOS.bin
    erase modemst1
    erase modemst2
    boot boot.img
    recovery recovery.img
    system system.img
    erase cache
    erase userdata