Grip Shells - who has one, what are they like?

Search This thread

digitalmahdi

Sep 12, 2009
We probably need to wait for some cheap ones to appear. I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/111241765228 instead to protect my phone from scratches, dust'n'stuff...

Well I bought some cheap case already but it does not cover the upper and bottom of the phone. I cannot use such thing which you are using. I tried those kind of cases before.

Amazon.de does not ship gripshells to Asia.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

James Randi

Feb 2, 2014
Netherlands
Is it correct that the motorola.com shop is the only place to get the grip shell at the moment?
I know amazon.de has it listed, but only as pre-order.

I was about to order the moto g + grip shell and have a friend bring it from the US but the motorola shop only accepts US credit cards. Bought the phone from amazon.com now but still want the grip shell... :(

angomy

May 4, 2011
Just an update on my previous (brief) review of the moto g grip shell (specifically chalk one)

- The material that the back part is very much a dirt magnet --- I keep the phone in my inner coat pocket or in a subpocket of my bag with nothing else, and it's still managed to acquire some black smudges that takes some elbow work to remove entirely. I didn't have this problem with the Ringke Slim case which has less of a grit to it (dirt slid off it rather than getting embedded). I somewhat regret purchasing the chalk over a different color as I've had to regularly rub marks off of it.

- While I'm pleased with the 1mm clearance for the screen, I'm not so pleased with the lack of clearance for the back camera as any sand etc on a table would come into contact with it -- there's barely a lip for the camera and so I find myself facing the phone down a lot to avoid any potential camera scratches, not ideal since I can't see any notification LEDs. Perhaps I'm being a tad paranoid.

I know the point of this accessory is more of a "back plate replacement with some extra protection" rather than a full-blown case, but I'd have taken an extra 2-3mm of thickness to add more protection to the camera via thickening the back plate than what they did.

Reactions: arokan

kemoran

Feb 7, 2014
Just an update on my previous (brief) review of the moto g grip shell (specifically chalk one)

- The material that the back part is very much a dirt magnet --- I keep the phone in my inner coat pocket or in a subpocket of my bag with nothing else, and it's still managed to acquire some black smudges that takes some elbow work to remove entirely. I didn't have this problem with the Ringke Slim case which has less of a grit to it (dirt slid off it rather than getting embedded). I somewhat regret purchasing the chalk over a different color as I've had to regularly rub marks off of it.

- While I'm pleased with the 1mm clearance for the screen, I'm not so pleased with the lack of clearance for the back camera as any sand etc on a table would come into contact with it -- there's barely a lip for the camera and so I find myself facing the phone down a lot to avoid any potential camera scratches, not ideal since I can't see any notification LEDs. Perhaps I'm being a tad paranoid.

I know the point of this accessory is more of a "back plate replacement with some extra protection" rather than a full-blown case, but I'd have taken an extra 2-3mm of thickness to add more protection to the camera via thickening the back plate than what they did.

As far as the dirt is concerned do you think it would be better if you had another color such as the blue or the red one? Is the case from the same material as the original black cover cause I don't like the fact that my fingertips appear in the back everytime I touch it? Btw is it possible to tell me the dimensions of the package where the case was in when you purchased it?

angomy

May 4, 2011
As far as the dirt is concerned do you think it would be better if you had another color such as the blue or the red one? Is the case from the same material as the original black cover cause I don't like the fact that my fingertips appear in the back everytime I touch it? Btw is it possible to tell me the dimensions of the package where the case was in when you purchased it?

I think dirt would hide better on the blue or red, but I prefer neutral colors for my cases (black or white pretty much). From what I can tell, the material is the same exact stuff and texture that the normal black back of the Moto G comes in -- feels exactly the same

You're in luck, I still have the original package since I'm storing the original black back + my old Ringke case in it :p Dimensions are (used a ruler so perhaps not 100% exact) 7 & 3/8th inches x 4 & 1/8 inches x 3/4 inches (18cm7.3mm x 10cm5mm x 1.9cm):

(ignore the stuff inside, that's the original back + Ringke Slim case)

gripbox_zpsf2a7a0da.jpg

Kostakis07

Nov 28, 2012
Athens
Hey guys, I'm getting my moto g tomorrow and I'm also getting a case... I like the grip shell case but amazon says pre-order only... Weirdly enough some people posted reviews of the case which means they bought it from there... WTF??? Anyway if someone received the case from amazon.de please let me know

BarnOwl

Jan 21, 2003
The Netherlands
www.parketvloeren.nl
Hey guys, I'm getting my moto g tomorrow and I'm also getting a case... I like the grip shell case but amazon says pre-order only... Weirdly enough some people posted reviews of the case which means they bought it from there... WTF??? Anyway if someone received the case from amazon.de please let me know

Well, if you just check on the reviews at Amazon.de, you know exactly who got it..........waiting for the last 4 weeks.
I actually bought two other cases cause I do not believe they will ever come......:eek:

kemoran

Feb 7, 2014
@angomy: thanks a lot! you even did the conversion from inches to cm... It seems almost like the perfect case, if only it had the texture of the flip shell... I know, you can't have everything!

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
Those reviews on the German Amazon site Amazon.de are not actually for the grip shell but the flip case. Go figure, google translate for the win.
Who knows why the two products have been mixed, maybe its to fool people into thinking the grip shell is going to be awesome.

Albertini

Sep 23, 2008
Those reviews on the German Amazon site Amazon.de are not actually for the grip shell but the flip case. Go figure, google translate for the win.
Who knows why the two products have been mixed, maybe its to fool people into thinking the grip shell is going to be awesome.

native german speaking here. the flip shell/shell/grip shell all are "one" product on amazon.de - you choose the variant and color when you order them via drop down menus. kind of silly, because you have to read each review to figure out for which of those three cases it really is.
so far nobody got a grip shell...only reviews for shell/flip shell.

Greetz!
Albertini

amrulicious

Mar 10, 2009
Well, my case arrived today --- even though I paid for regular shipping, like others here, they shipped it 2-day and I got it this morning.

Including photos of the chalk version next to my white Ringke Slim case (ignore the background, it's a couch throw blanket)

Overall impressions -

Solid build, as to be expected of a Moto accessory it fits the phone perfectly. There is definitely no "clicking" to let you know the case is seated properly so I'm not sure if it actually clicked into the back of the phone or if it's held together by the rubber strip. Instructions show only to press down on 6 points on the front of the phone after insertion (no text in instructions) which I did repeatedly.

The "chalk" version is not 100% white. I'm not sure if you can tell from these photos but it's actually less pure white than the Ringke (the Moto Grip is slightly yellower/darker when put next to the Ringke, you won't notice if it's by itself). In terms of texture, it's exactly like the original black back cover. So more grippy than the Ringke, but also looks like it'll acquire and hold stains much easier.

The rubber strip going around has a smooth, hard texture (it's actually less grippy than the back part) so I don't think it'll catch much when going in pockets.

I really like the covered power button / volume rocker as it adds more protection (and also my power button is a bit wobbly and it hides that), but they are much more prominent now so I'm more likely to turn on the screen by accident from the power button getting nudged if I have it in my pocket.

None of the ports are covered. I'm still able to use a headphone dust plug without any obstruction issues.

how about the rubber part? is it black or dark grey?

mailppl

Sep 21, 2012
PUNE
Hi although the official grip cover looks cool on the device and doesnt add extra thickness to the device.. I am not very confident about how well it would protect the device..hence I have been thinking about getting a Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit Case for the phone. Any of you who have been using the Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit Case kindly provide some feedback..how thick does it make the phone ? Does it really protect the phone well ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, my case arrived today --- even though I paid for regular shipping, like others here, they shipped it 2-day and I got it this morning.

Including photos of the chalk version next to my white Ringke Slim case (ignore the background, it's a couch throw blanket)

Overall impressions -

Solid build, as to be expected of a Moto accessory it fits the phone perfectly. There is definitely no "clicking" to let you know the case is seated properly so I'm not sure if it actually clicked into the back of the phone or if it's held together by the rubber strip. Instructions show only to press down on 6 points on the front of the phone after insertion (no text in instructions) which I did repeatedly.

The "chalk" version is not 100% white. I'm not sure if you can tell from these photos but it's actually less pure white than the Ringke (the Moto Grip is slightly yellower/darker when put next to the Ringke, you won't notice if it's by itself). In terms of texture, it's exactly like the original black back cover. So more grippy than the Ringke, but also looks like it'll acquire and hold stains much easier.

The rubber strip going around has a smooth, hard texture (it's actually less grippy than the back part) so I don't think it'll catch much when going in pockets.

I really like the covered power button / volume rocker as it adds more protection (and also my power button is a bit wobbly and it hides that), but they are much more prominent now so I'm more likely to turn on the screen by accident from the power button getting nudged if I have it in my pocket.

None of the ports are covered. I'm still able to use a headphone dust plug without any obstruction issues.
    got my grip shell yesterday, still waiting for the phone to come today. will try to post some pics tonight once i get the phone.

here are some pics:
    Got my black Grip Shell and a glass screen protector in the mail last night

So far I'm really impressed. I really like the grip shell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_8gKTBQuMU

Hope this answers some of your question like, "Can the phone sit on the table face down?"
    Does it make the phone harder to slip into jeans pocket? since there's more friction with the rubber..