Can the Sony Tablet S Accept 64gb SD Cards?

Search This thread

pokoedge

Jun 16, 2011
No, I don't think the Sony Tablet will accept SDXC cards.

I believe the SDHC cards only go up to 32GB.

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
There is a sony memory stick adapter not sdcard one which takes 2 microsds and makes them appear as one big one but i believe it is limited to 32gb. Does not help us but shows many things are possible. I noticed file expert app lists sdcard2 which is empty for me presumably because i don't have a physical one in yet, however it also lists usbdisk1 to usbdisk8 so maybe there will be some way of having sdcard3 etc or utilize usbdisks with sd adaptors. Hope it helps

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

GetPatriotized

Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Wait,so you can store stuff on the SD card without transferring them? I thought it was just for file transfer? :S I read it on the official Sony site.

Can anyone confirm?

soultics

Dec 20, 2009
You can store and play media off the SD-Card using the File Transfer app, it will only play one item at a time. The problem is that the native music/video apps will NOT scan the SD-Card slot for media, I believe this maybe just an error in coding, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in this area to more than speculate. I downloaded a 3rd party Music App and it showed that the tablet had 2 SD-Cards, the first was my actual storage (16gb), and the 2nd was the actual SD-Card (8gb). This is where maybe the coding is wrong and only looks at the first SD-Card, even though its technically not.

GetPatriotized

Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
You can store and play media off the SD-Card using the File Transfer app, it will only play one item at a time. The problem is that the native music/video apps will NOT scan the SD-Card slot for media, I believe this maybe just an error in coding, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in this area to more than speculate. I downloaded a 3rd party Music App and it showed that the tablet had 2 SD-Cards, the first was my actual storage (16gb), and the 2nd was the actual SD-Card (8gb). This is where maybe the coding is wrong and only looks at the first SD-Card, even though its technically not.

Yikes! It's possible to be fixed in an update down the line right? I'm considering this or the Transformer :( and I really like the Tablet S. Matches my Xperia Play.

sixthday

Feb 28, 2006
No. It is not a coding error. It is google / Sony's intention to limit the use of SD card. Just like Apple, you understand.

westbrand1

Jul 6, 2008

It is possible to use SDXC cards as long as it is formatted by the tablet to FAT32(or on a computer). I am using a 128GB SDXC card without problem. I use Poweramp in order to view my music collection(45GB) and VitalPlayer Pro to play videos from the SD-card.

Silver-Eye

Oct 3, 2011
Faro
You just made my day!!. crap.. yesterday I ordered a 32gb claas 10 for the tab...

westbrand1

Jul 6, 2008
No way!! Tell me your joking!!

No its no joke, the problem is that the standard Gallery does not access the SD-card but I solved it by using QuickPic. QuickPic is a superb app that lets you specify which folders you want to view. I will try to make a Youtube to show what it looks like, probably on friday since I work long night shift now.

When it comes to Xperia Play I dont know but I guess it has microSD card slot? I know that some phones takes XC cards, among them is HTC Sensation.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkr284 and ps3taker

jkr284

Mar 3, 2008
Worksop
No its no joke, the problem is that the standard Gallery does not access the SD-card but I solved it by using QuickPic. QuickPic is a superb app that lets you specify which folders you want to view. I will try to make a Youtube to show what it looks like, probably on friday since I work long night shift now.

When it comes to Xperia Play I dont know but I guess it has microSD card slot? I know that some phones takes XC cards, among them is HTC Sensation.

i only use the sd card for movies anyway so i guess im sorted!!
CHEERS!

krisde10

Oct 10, 2011
I have a 1tb hard drive will i be able to use this with the tablet?? would seriously make me happy if i could. i bought the tablet thinking i could plug in external drives and so far have had no luck. I tried to access my photos from my camera sd card using file manager hd but had no success with that either. i must be doing something wrong any help would be greatly appreciated.

sixthday

Feb 28, 2006
You have to wait until it's rooted. Then change the USB host to use the ext drive

I have a 1tb hard drive will i be able to use this with the tablet?? would seriously make me happy if i could. i bought the tablet thinking i could plug in external drives and so far have had no luck. I tried to access my photos from my camera sd card using file manager hd but had no success with that either. i must be doing something wrong any help would be greatly appreciated.

-NRG-

Sep 29, 2009

Can you please still post a video that it works? Because i red a story on the sony forums that a 64gb xc card didn't work and made the card unreadable.

pratishk

Mar 1, 2009
London
It is possible to use SDXC cards as long as it is formatted by the tablet to FAT32(or on a computer). I am using a 128GB SDXC card without problem. I use Poweramp in order to view my music collection(45GB) and VitalPlayer Pro to play videos from the SD-card.

How did you format it on the tablet? Got a 64gig yesterday, computer formatted it using exFAT? could not choose just FAT, and card can not be read by sony, says damaged sd card but cannot find a way to format on the tablet. I have es file explorer but could not find options...

Any thoughts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No way!! Tell me your joking!!

Anyone else used 64gig cards on the tablet yet?

I'm not using a 64gb card, but I am using a 128gb card. It works fine so far; I am able to transfer files easily and I can play music off of it with PowerAmp. The only problems I have so far are my Astro file manager won't detect the card so I can't browse through my files, and my QuickPic is unable to load my images in the card. I'm not sure if it's the software issue or not.
    Another problem is that the card came in formatted as the exFat format; a format my Tablet S won't read. And since Windows won't allow anything over 32gb to be formatted to Fat32, I had to use a third party program to format it. I used EASEUS Partition Master to format it. It's a free and works great. Sorry, I can't post the download link yet until I get some more post counts :rolleyes:.
    This might be the best news since sliced bread!! No issues with that big of a card?

File manager HD is a great apk too for sorting out your files from your sd and your internal. But as mentioned in an above post....you can only play movies one at a time....which isn't so bad, but when you have 178 pictures you want to show....individually...its a pain in the butt. I will be testing out a 128gb sdxc card very soon myself. This would eliminate having to swap my movies all the time.
    Thanks for the info....

For the pictures I use quickpic app, a bit more slow than the native app, but does the job.. oh yeah it reads from the sd card ;)