[Q] Is my phone back to stock yet?

Search This thread

haroonie

Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm confused now. :confused: So I bought this phone used it, rooted it, used da_g's kernel, flashed the UCLA modem and used stockmod rom. now i need to get it back to stock.

i removed the sd card, then did the ODIN instructions and went into download mode and flashed it 'back to stock.' after reboot all my stuff is still on there; so i went into privacy and formatted erased everything. rebooted now i'm at my screen and i went to about, android version 2.3.5, baseband version i727ucla3, kernel 2.6.35.11, build number GINGERBREAD.UCKJ2.

why is my baseband version still at ucla3? i thought flashing the ODIN stock it would set everything back to stock. basically i want to give this to a family member but i want it in the condition that it truly is stock and they can run updates just fine. i ran the 'software update' to try to get the OTA for 2.3.6 but it said 'Current software is up to date' -- isn't the newest 2.3.6.. is my baseband preventing the update. is my kernel back to stock? can i ODIN 2.3.6 stock straight to the device?

also why cant i get back into the 'download mode' i saw previously, all i get when i hold vol up and down is an 'android recovery 3e' what is that.. if i can't get download mode how can i ODIN? im thinking i need to CWM this guy to flash the old baseband then do the process over again to get stock rom and stock kernel... help!

thanks in advance.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
I'm confused now. :confused: So I bought this phone used it, rooted it, used da_g's kernel, flashed the UCLA modem and used stockmod rom. now i need to get it back to stock.

i removed the sd card, then did the ODIN instructions and went into download mode and flashed it 'back to stock.' after reboot all my stuff is still on there; so i went into privacy and formatted erased everything. rebooted now i'm at my screen and i went to about, android version 2.3.5, baseband version i727ucla3, kernel 2.6.35.11, build number GINGERBREAD.UCKJ2.

why is my baseband version still at ucla3? i thought flashing the ODIN stock it would set everything back to stock. basically i want to give this to a family member but i want it in the condition that it truly is stock and they can run updates just fine. i ran the 'software update' to try to get the OTA for 2.3.6 but it said 'Current software is up to date' -- isn't the newest 2.3.6.. is my baseband preventing the update. is my kernel back to stock? can i ODIN 2.3.6 stock straight to the device?

also why cant i get back into the 'download mode' i saw previously, all i get when i hold vol up and down is an 'android recovery 3e' what is that.. if i can't get download mode how can i ODIN? im thinking i need to CWM this guy to flash the old baseband then do the process over again to get stock rom and stock kernel... help!

thanks in advance.

My best advice for you is to do more reading before you really mess something up. If you don't know the difference between 3e recovery -vs- CWM you haven't read nearly enough to do what you want to do. I am not telling you this to be a smart-a*s, but because I don't want to see you brick your phone. And, almost everyhting you have asked has been discussed in detail.

The modem / radio (baseband) lives on its own little partician so you will probably need to flash the radio you want by itself (while you still have CWM). You can find the different radio zips in the "Radio" thread in the "Dev" section.

But you will first need CWM back. You will need to be rooted to have CWM and you can get CWM (after root) by using ROM manager to download it or you can ODIN CWM if you use Copperhed's root method.

Once you are rooted and have CWM installed, you can flash whichever modem / radio you want. Then, go to K0nane's "Return to stock" thread and follow the directions completely! Read the entire thread first...JUST DO IT!

Once you are back to stock and have the modem you want, use ODIN to install the 3e recovery (original Samsung revovery) back to your phone. There is a thread that has the 3e recovery .TAR but you will have to do a search to find it.

THEN...you will be back to stock. Of course the AT&T 2.3.6 updates have been pulled (again, discussed in many threads) so you probably won't get the OTA update anyway. But it won't hurt to check. Again, read everything before you do anything and if you still have questions after reading everything...ask before you jump.

Good luck.

Reactions: haroonie

m4570d0n

Nov 20, 2011
Houston
OnePlus 6T
android recovery 3e is recovery mode. Holding the volume keys + power button is how you get into recovery, not download mode. To get into download mode:
1 - power off the phone.
2 - plug in your USB cable into your computer/laptop (but not the phone yet)
3 - now hold down the volume keys and plug in the usb cable to the phone while still holding down the volume keys. The phone will vibrate and you can release the volume keys once you see that you're in download mode. I can't remember, but it might actually just be the volume down key and not both.

If that still doesnt work, try taking out the battery and then reinserting it after you power off the phone. Then try again.

haroonie

Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
My best advice for you is to do more reading before you really mess something up.

android recovery 3e is recovery mode. Holding the volume keys + power button is how you get into recovery, not download mode. To get into download mode:

Thanks for the help, very informative and you basically confirmed what i was thinking. i come from the iOS world where the firmware files when restored it was back to stock, contained the os/modem fw and kernel; plus wiped everything so that just added to the confusion!

so here's how i think it works - your post says the modem, kernel, OS & recovery all live on separate partitions and since some aren't contained in K0nane's stock ODIN; i need to be sure to flash each to be considered "fully stock." if you do K0nane's stock ODIN (does not contain modem, but has orig 3e recovery, kernel, OS) and it is incompatible with the existing modem; you could be in deep sh*t or a brick. also if you flash stock ODIN, you loose the ability to flash kernel or modem because you're now unrooted and without cwm to do that...

two questions - where in android can i see if i'm truly on stock kernel because can't the build string be spoofed? if i restore my cwm backup from post-root-stock state, does that restore / contain modem or kernel?

TIA again.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the help, very informative and you basically confirmed what i was thinking. i come from the iOS world where the firmware files when restored it was back to stock, contained the os/modem fw and kernel; plus wiped everything so that just added to the confusion!

so here's how i think it works - your post says the modem, kernel, OS & recovery all live on separate partitions and since some aren't contained in K0nane's stock ODIN; i need to be sure to flash each to be considered "fully stock." if you do K0nane's stock ODIN (does not contain modem, but has orig 3e recovery, kernel, OS) and it is incompatible with the existing modem; you could be in deep sh*t or a brick. also if you flash stock ODIN, you loose the ability to flash kernel or modem because you're now unrooted and without cwm to do that...

two questions - where in android can i see if i'm truly on stock kernel because can't the build string be spoofed? if i restore my cwm backup from post-root-stock state, does that restore / contain modem or kernel?

TIA again.

OK, I see K0nane's thread has the .TAR stock (Odin flash) and apparently already has the 3e recovery included so if you use K0nane's .TAR, you should not have to re-root or install CWM after the flash. So the only reason you would need to re-root and install CWM is if the modem still remains unchanged.

If the modem (radio) is still wrong after the "return to stock .TAR Odin flash, you will need to do what I wrote above (ie. re-root and install CWM) then flash the correct radio through CWM, then re-odin the return to stock .TAR. Others have reported that they were able to get the OTA update (when it was available) using this method. Maybe a .TAR (ODIN flashable modem) exists, but I'm not sure if I've read anything about anyone trying it if it does. If it does, and it works, you can use ODIN to flash the radio as well.

Yes, the modem itself does live on a different partician. Some custom ROMS include the modem and a script for installing it, but usually mention this up front. If the modem doesn't change after a ROM flash, it must be flashed seperately. I've never seen a phone bricked because of a modem mismatch with a ROM (as long as it is an AT&T (I727) skyrocket ROM and modem). But there may be issues with lost data connectivity or APNs.

But you are on the right path, just make sure you read everything and you will be fine.

As far as spoofing the build, I guess the only way to be sure if it is 100% stock is if you restore a nandroid (if you made one) and then ODIN 3e recovery. Or if you use Kies to reurn to stock.

haroonie

Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
But you are on the right path, just make sure you read everything and you will be fine.

As far as spoofing the build, I guess the only way to be sure if it is 100% stock is if you restore a nandroid (if you made one) and then ODIN 3e recovery. Or if you use Kies to reurn to stock.

Thanks for the details man, really appreciate it. I read through the threads you suggested and they helped, but no mention of modem. After my initial k0nane stock flash, modem was incorrect so i did the below steps and everything looks good. Still no OTA, but thats fine because it may be because of other reasons (2.3.6 pulled).

You mentioned 100% stock if i have my nandroid, but i would still have to 'un-root' my device afterwards. (i could then just goto settings > privacy > factory data reset would delete everything including the root then?) i am under the impression you needed to be rooted to create a nandroid so you would be restoring to the rooted state. is it true if you restore a nandroid you restore all partitions including the modem and kernel then?

Here's how i finally went back to stock when my device was not rooted but had a different modem.

0. DO NOT ODIN WITH RE-PARTITION OPTION ON, UN-CHECK THIS!
1. re-rooted with superoneclick SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip
2. odin to enable cwm SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar
3. use cwm to flash modem to stock ATTKJ2 Radio_RIL__I727ATTKJ2.zip
4. use cwm to wipe data/factory reset
5. odin k0nane's stock SGH-I727-UCKJ2-k0nane.tar
6. verify in about section modem, kernel and software versions.
7. Voila!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download 'root check free' and see what it says. Also make sure the superuser app is uninstalled

thanks in advance.

My best advice for you is to do more reading before you really mess something up. If you don't know the difference between 3e recovery -vs- CWM you haven't read nearly enough to do what you want to do. I am not telling you this to be a smart-a*s, but because I don't want to see you brick your phone. And, almost everyhting you have asked has been discussed in detail.

The modem / radio (baseband) lives on its own little partician so you will probably need to flash the radio you want by itself (while you still have CWM). You can find the different radio zips in the "Radio" thread in the "Dev" section.

But you will first need CWM back. You will need to be rooted to have CWM and you can get CWM (after root) by using ROM manager to download it or you can ODIN CWM if you use Copperhed's root method.

Once you are rooted and have CWM installed, you can flash whichever modem / radio you want. Then, go to K0nane's "Return to stock" thread and follow the directions completely! Read the entire thread first...JUST DO IT!

Once you are back to stock and have the modem you want, use ODIN to install the 3e recovery (original Samsung revovery) back to your phone. There is a thread that has the 3e recovery .TAR but you will have to do a search to find it.

THEN...you will be back to stock. Of course the AT&T 2.3.6 updates have been pulled (again, discussed in many threads) so you probably won't get the OTA update anyway. But it won't hurt to check. Again, read everything before you do anything and if you still have questions after reading everything...ask before you jump.

Good luck.
    1 - power off the phone.
    2 - plug in your USB cable into your computer/laptop (but not the phone yet)
    3 - now hold down the volume keys and plug in the usb cable to the phone while still holding down the volume keys. The phone will vibrate and you can release the volume keys once you see that you're in download mode. I can't remember, but it might actually just be the volume down key and not both.

If that still doesnt work, try taking out the battery and then reinserting it after you power off the phone. Then try again.

TIA again.

OK, I see K0nane's thread has the .TAR stock (Odin flash) and apparently already has the 3e recovery included so if you use K0nane's .TAR, you should not have to re-root or install CWM after the flash. So the only reason you would need to re-root and install CWM is if the modem still remains unchanged.

If the modem (radio) is still wrong after the "return to stock .TAR Odin flash, you will need to do what I wrote above (ie. re-root and install CWM) then flash the correct radio through CWM, then re-odin the return to stock .TAR. Others have reported that they were able to get the OTA update (when it was available) using this method. Maybe a .TAR (ODIN flashable modem) exists, but I'm not sure if I've read anything about anyone trying it if it does. If it does, and it works, you can use ODIN to flash the radio as well.

Yes, the modem itself does live on a different partician. Some custom ROMS include the modem and a script for installing it, but usually mention this up front. If the modem doesn't change after a ROM flash, it must be flashed seperately. I've never seen a phone bricked because of a modem mismatch with a ROM (as long as it is an AT&T (I727) skyrocket ROM and modem). But there may be issues with lost data connectivity or APNs.