PocketSpeedTest - check your cellular packet link speed or hotspot speed :)

Search This thread

kartam

May 10, 2007
Elbląg
Here comes the second version of PocketSpeedTest. In new version you may manage your own HTTP-file based mirrors, view speed chart (alpha only; has some problems with scaling), and other details.

The system requirements are:
- a Pocket PC Phone or classic one (e.g. if you want to test hotspots) based on Windows Mobile 2003 SE or newer; a WM5+ Smartphone should work as well but was not tested.
- .NET Compact Framework 2.0 installed on device (on WM6 devices preinstalled by default)
- any Internet connection on device (if no WiFi or Cable, a packet data connection is activated automatically)

Application should also run on a desktop PC if you have .NET Framework 2.0 installed (installed by default on Vista, in case of Windows XP, 2000, ME or 98 you'll need probably to install .NET)

This time comes with a cab installer.
Screenshot contains old version.
Comments appreciated :)
Thanks

Attachments

• pspeedtest.JPG
    pspeedtest.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 2,113
  • PocketSpeedTestInstaller.CAB
    25.8 KB · Views: 2,763
Last edited:

tft

Feb 24, 2008
nice app. how about speedtest in KB/s and not kbit/s? or maybe an option..

KB/s gives a better idea what most people see on a download prompt.

where does the program do, download a temp file from somewhere?

kartam

May 10, 2007
Elbląg
nice app. how about speedtest in KB/s and not kbit/s? or maybe an option..

KB/s gives a better idea what most people see on a download prompt.

where does the program do, download a temp file from somewhere?

It downloads the file:
http://noc.gts.pl/1mb.gts
to nowhere (all operation is done within RAM, no storage is involved). Maybe I'll add KB/s as an option, I've used kbit/s because most speed-o-meters show speed in kbit/s.
The file is a GTS Energis provider file typically used to check your connection speed via download prompt.

tft

Feb 24, 2008
yeah, kbps is ok actually. but options are cool :)

what about increasing test length?

i think it can be more accurate if you give it more time, the speedtest stops like 8 seconds after and there is no way i can download a 1MB file that fast unless thats one huge burst of bandwidth.

how much is actually downloaded, you stop the test before 1MB or does it download the whole mb?

kartam

May 10, 2007
Elbląg
yeah, kbps is ok actually. but options are cool :)

what about increasing test length?

i think it can be more accurate if you give it more time, the speedtest stops like 8 seconds after and there is no way i can download a 1MB file that fast unless thats one huge burst of bandwidth.

how much is actually downloaded, you stop the test before 1MB or does it download the whole mb?
It gets the whole 1MB unless you stop it yourself. Yes it may be short for high speed connections but I'm going to add larger tests.

tft

Feb 24, 2008
i've created website speedtest apps in the past, it's almost the same.

i used php to test downstream and flash to test upstream from client to server.

what about your apps capabilities for upstream? good way to test RevA :D

kartam

May 10, 2007
Elbląg
i've created website speedtest apps in the past, it's almost the same.

i used php to test downstream and flash to test upstream from client to server.

what about your apps capabilities for upstream? good way to test RevA :D

well currently it doesn't support upstream but I may add that in future :)

tmknight

Mar 27, 2007
Georgia
Great idea! I get a huge result difference with between this and dslreports mobile speed test (50% lower with this). Any thoughts?

kartam

May 10, 2007
Elbląg
I see that some people report to have lower speeds with this application than they have for real. Seems strange 'cause my speeds seem also accurate. This shows that the app needs more development. I'll improve it maybe this weekend if I have time. But I'm glad that app got some interest :) This motivates to work! Every feedback is valuable for me, write how much the program showed you and how much it should (based on other test app), and what connection you've been using. That would help me improve :)

kartam

May 10, 2007
Elbląg
This program also works in Windows XP if you have the .NET CF 2.0 installed

Actually .NET Framework 2.0 for PC (not compact) is enough :) Thanks for noticing, added to the first post
I think that DSLReports mobile inaccurate result may be because of DSLReports testing files are small (100 kB the largest one), and PST downloads a file of 1 MB

Last edited:

flaviopac

Jan 10, 2008
Are you sure that your app works correctly?

Because I've a 2Mbps Adsl line (250kb/s)... But, using my Touch connected to my router via wifi, your app displays an average speed of 384kb/s........

How is it possible?

tft

Feb 24, 2008
Are you sure that your app works correctly?

Because I've a 2Mbps Adsl line (250kb/s)... But, using my Touch connected to my router via wifi, your app displays an average speed of 384kb/s........

How is it possible?

it all depends on your location to the file that is being used in the speedtest.

if the speedtest file is located in japan and you're in australia you would get poor results from test.

it's a good idea to have a file hosted at various locations so a user can select the closest server to test from.