Encryption (impact on unlock/rooted?)

Search This thread

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
Dev edition. Unlocked and rooted with TWRP.

Put the 4.4.2 exchange apk's in /system then found out my company requires full device encryption on phones without an SD card.

I want to stay stock. Only reason I rooted was to get the new exchange apks.

If I encrypt everything will I still be able to:

-Use adb to go back to stock recovery
-use root explorer to restore the stock system apps
-take an OTA while maintaining unlock and root?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Every phone I've used had an SD card and I never had to deal with this.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
Prior to posting this I read about 50 google results and learned that Google sucks.

Last edited:

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
So I'm slowly figuring out these answers as I go since no one else knows.

First I unlocked and rooted my device using this guide:

http://www.elementalxdesigns.com/ec...our-Moto-X-Developer-Edition-and-install-TWRP

Immediately after installing TWRP reboot into recovery and then tell TWRP to reboot. It will ask if you want to root, say yes. Install Super su from play store.

Next I used root explorer to get the 4.4.2 exchange and exchange services into /system/app then disabled the old ones in the normal settings/apps menu.

Then I set up my phone and configured my work exchange account and let it encrypt my device.
Here is what I have discovered:

- TWRP still can be booted into, but it can't see the /data partition. So you cant make a full nandroid or flash any files you saved to your phone.

- You can still use adb to flash TWRP or the stock recovery

Unknown:

-If I wasn't already rooted would TWRP have been able to root the device after unlocking and flashing TWRP earlier? It can't see the data partition, does it need to?

I don't have time right now to "start fresh" and see, but when I do I will update this thread.

Last edited:

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
I wish I could be of assistance, but I would love for you to keep us posted. I thought about encrypting my phones many times but I didn't know if/what that would prevent me from doing.

MotoX Developer Edition, Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted, Stock with tweaks!

titanshadow

Feb 17, 2012
Lexington, KY
home.blazingumbra.com
You don't need to install a custom recovery to root. I have a Verizon Moto X which I used the "SlapMyMoto" method. After rooting I was able to encrypt the phone just fine without any issues to my root. I don't have an unlocked bootloader (don't see a point personally, since I don't plan to install another ROM).

If you intent to install another ROM then you'll want to not have the phone encrypted unless TWRP can access encrypted files on your device.

If you don't want to install a custom ROM then I recommend using the SlapMyMoto method, which works very well though it is a bit cumbersome to get done, once it is done you shouldn't need to redo it unless you accept an OTA.

The basic process is to root it using methods for 4.2 (you have to restore to 4.2 prior to rooting), then disable write protection using the appropriate tool, I think it is calle MotoWPNoNo or something along those lines. After that, accept the OTA to 4.4 and run SlapMyMoto to get root back.

Reactions: Restola

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
Thanks titan. I think my biggest question right now is "can you root a phone that is already encrypted?"

I know I can unlock (dev edition) and install TWRP (abd) but can I root if TWRP can't see the /data partition meaning I can't flash the supersu zip.

If you root *then * encrypt it works fine. But since un-encrypting requires a wipe it would be nice to avoid having to go though that.

Last edited:

titanshadow

Feb 17, 2012
Lexington, KY
home.blazingumbra.com
Thanks titan. I think my biggest question right now is "can you root a phone that is already encrypted?"

I know I can unlock (dev edition) and install TWRP (abd) but can I root if TWRP can't see the /data partition meaning I can't flash the supersu zip.

If you root *then * encrypt it works fine. But since un-encrypting requires a wipe it would be nice to avoid having to go though that.

Well, you don't actually need to see the /data partition to flash, if you have the ZIp somewhere else, or use ADB + TWRP (I think you can do that? I know you can with CWM). When you encrypt the OS isn't encrypted so /system isn't touched. The short answer is, yes, you can. TWRP should be able to read the encryption - in fact it should ask you for a password to decrypt when you boot into recovery.

I would still recommend using SlapMyMoto as it leave stock recovery in place, the reason this is good is because TWRP won't respond to an automatic wipe request from Android Device Manager or similar service. If you leave the stock recovery in place then you can still remote-wipe the device if you need to.

If you've already got TWRP in place it is simple... Does TWRP ask you to decrypt the phone before it goes in? If it does, can you see your internal SD Card and select a ZIP from it? If those are YES then, it'll work fine. TWRP can see the entire phone and thus you can install a zip without problem. If i can't, you'll need to get more creative, but I still would suggest seeing you can use ADB while you're booted into TWRP to push the SuperSU ZIP to the device to flash.

Here is a link from last year from Stack Exchange about TWRP and an encrypted device. I know that when I had my S3 running CyanogenMod TWRP would decrypt it just fine.
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...custom-recovery-work-with-an-encrypted-device

Should you need to do it, here is the link for using ADB with TWRP... (it is called Sideloading, forgot that)
http://teamw.in/ADBSideload

Reactions: Restola

Restola

Dec 4, 2010
Michigan
Thanks the side loading may be what I'm looking for If I ever go back to square one and want to root while encrypted. TWRP didn't ask to decrypt so no luck there.

Last edited:

nitrobass24

Mar 20, 2007
Did you ever get this working? I just put TWRP on my MotoX DE, and I encrypted my phone (Exchange requirement). Anyway to have TWRP decrypt so i can sideload or root?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You don't need to install a custom recovery to root. I have a Verizon Moto X which I used the "SlapMyMoto" method. After rooting I was able to encrypt the phone just fine without any issues to my root. I don't have an unlocked bootloader (don't see a point personally, since I don't plan to install another ROM).

If you intent to install another ROM then you'll want to not have the phone encrypted unless TWRP can access encrypted files on your device.

If you don't want to install a custom ROM then I recommend using the SlapMyMoto method, which works very well though it is a bit cumbersome to get done, once it is done you shouldn't need to redo it unless you accept an OTA.

The basic process is to root it using methods for 4.2 (you have to restore to 4.2 prior to rooting), then disable write protection using the appropriate tool, I think it is calle MotoWPNoNo or something along those lines. After that, accept the OTA to 4.4 and run SlapMyMoto to get root back.

Well, you don't actually need to see the /data partition to flash, if you have the ZIp somewhere else, or use ADB + TWRP (I think you can do that? I know you can with CWM). When you encrypt the OS isn't encrypted so /system isn't touched. The short answer is, yes, you can. TWRP should be able to read the encryption - in fact it should ask you for a password to decrypt when you boot into recovery.

I would still recommend using SlapMyMoto as it leave stock recovery in place, the reason this is good is because TWRP won't respond to an automatic wipe request from Android Device Manager or similar service. If you leave the stock recovery in place then you can still remote-wipe the device if you need to.

If you've already got TWRP in place it is simple... Does TWRP ask you to decrypt the phone before it goes in? If it does, can you see your internal SD Card and select a ZIP from it? If those are YES then, it'll work fine. TWRP can see the entire phone and thus you can install a zip without problem. If i can't, you'll need to get more creative, but I still would suggest seeing you can use ADB while you're booted into TWRP to push the SuperSU ZIP to the device to flash.

Here is a link from last year from Stack Exchange about TWRP and an encrypted device. I know that when I had my S3 running CyanogenMod TWRP would decrypt it just fine.
    https://android.stackexchange.com/q...custom-recovery-work-with-an-encrypted-device

Should you need to do it, here is the link for using ADB with TWRP... (it is called Sideloading, forgot that)
    http://teamw.in/ADBSideload